InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Price of Vengeance ❯ Chapter Fourteen: Spiced Sake ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own any of Rumiko Takahashi's characters or stories. This story is for private entertainment purposes only.

Chapter Fourteen (Spiced Sake)

"You will dine with me."

*What?* Kagome stared at the Taiyoukai with incredulous eyes, hardly believing her own ears.

"Come." The Taiyoukai turned his back to her, and walked away. Long silver-white hair hung down his back like a waterfall to his knees. The similarity of the long tresses to a certain hanyou's had Kagome's heart clenching. The Taiyoukai paused at the doorway to her rooms. He did not turn, but his voice snapped back like a whip.

"Now."

Before she knew what she was doing, Kagome's legs were carrying her after the cold Lord. With a fatalistic shrug, the girl followed the inu youkai out of her rooms. Her brief spurt of joy at finally being out of the stupid stone walls was side-laid by her recognition of one of the demons who silently waited for her to leave.

"An Ash-demon!" She blinked in surprise, hesitating nervously. The fire youkai's pink eyes were empty and mild, having none of the flickering red flames she had seen in the ones who had attacked them when SesshouMaru had kidnaped her.

The Taiyoukai was there in a heart's beat, his claws clenched on her shoulder. Kagome let out a muffled yelp as the grip tightened. "I said come." The voice was icy with impatience. He gave her a push that sent her awkwardly spinning in front of him down the narrow hall.

Kagome spun back around, bristling. "Hey! I'm not a dog---"

"Yes." The Taiyoukai's golden eyes suddenly glinted with amusement. "I know."

Kagome's mouth fell open. This guy was really weird! Cold and terrifying one minute, almost smiling the next! She didn't know whether he was coming or going. How was she to deal with someone like that?

The amusement died, and the Taiyoukai gestured sharply for her to proceed him. Kagome gave him a look of pure exasperation, and spun on her heel. Showing her annoyance with stiff back and stomping steps, she marched down the narrow hall. But she had to stop as the stone walls opened into a four-way intersection. Letting out a frustrated sigh, she turned her head back at the Lord.

To find him standing right behind her.

Kagome shied away, and the Taiyoukai's hand whipped out to grab her arm. His sharp claws grazed her skin in a tight grip, but they did not pierce. Her brown eyes sparked with helpless anger, but no reaction showed on the arrogantly cold face.

"I will lead you." The Taiyoukai brushed past her, his furry tail tickling her in passing, and yanked her arm after him. Kagome had to scurry awkwardly at his quick pace. The Taiyoukai ignored her stumbling steps and continued on like a charging bull, dragging her after him. Kagome soon lost any idea of where she was with all the twists and turns the Lord pulled her through. Every stone passage looked the same, illuminated with a faint blue-white light that had no source she could detect.

SesshouMaru let go of her arm when they turned into a wide arch. He proceeded into the long room while Kagome gaped in the doorway.

The room was HUGE. Stone arches curved along the outer walls and were lost into dimness above. Narrowly arched windows, hung up high, let in the weak light of a clouded sunset, adding faint hints of gold and pink to the banners and tapestries that covered the walls. Weapons and armor of every style and sort were scattered around the grand hall. She recognized a few pieces, but could not place most of them. She eyed the various items in awe. She could recognize a few pieces, such as armor from Midoriko's time and the glinting plate mail such as a British knight might wear. The curved edge of a Turkish scimitar gleamed faintly from one wall, while the huge stone blade of a Grecian axe, fully twelve feet in height, leaned in one corner. Weapons and armor of every size and description, some too small for even a child to hold, some large enough for only the giants of legend to grasp with ease.

The Lord waited with infinite patience for her to stop gawking. Wide-eyed, Kagome blinked at him. "Wow."

A silver brow arched at her.

Kagome waved a hand airily around her as she stepped further into the room. She made her way over to a small table that held bottles and sacks of all kinds. A tall bow, made of blond wood smoothed faintly golden by time and use, leaned against a suit of bit-linked armor. Touching the curve of the bow, Kagome trailed her fingers over the wood.

"An English long bow..." She breathed.

"You know it?" The Taiyoukai's voice broke her reverie. Kagome shrugged, and went to stare at the capped jars that littered the table top. Sharp scents made her wrinkle her nose.

"What's all that?" She asked curiously, hand extended toward the table.

The demented demon actually smiled. "Poison."

Hastily snatching her hand back, Kagome hugged herself.

"Come." The Taiyoukai walked past her, further into the long room. "You will eat."

Kagome warily followed him, her fears surging. Suddenly cold, she shivered and avoided looking at all the wickedly sharp edges of all that weaponry. She followed the tall white form to the other end of the room, where a raised dais held a traditionally low Japanese table. Beautiful carvings edged the wood, and she was startled to see that a place was already set for her on one end.

SesshouMaru settled himself at the other end with fluid grace. When Kagome paused, uncertain, the Taiyoukai gave her a sharp gesture to seat herself. Kagome knelt and stared at the steaming dishes before her. The food smelled delicious, and her stomach grumbled in hunger. Kagome blushed.

"You will eat." The Lord repeated.

"Er...what about you?" Kagome eyed the empty space in front of him.

"I do not eat human food." The Lord said simply.

"Oh." Kagome made a faint movement at the steaming white cup before her, then stopped to glare at the youkai who watched her steadily out of unreadable golden eyes. "You're just going to sit there and watch me?"

"Yes."

Giving SesshouMaru an exasperated look, Kagome deliberately picked up the eggshell porcelain, her fingers warming at the touch. Holding the cup to her mouth, she deliberately took a long swallow.

And nearly choked as fire poured down her throat.

"Eyah!" She gasped, blindly waving the delicate cup around. The Taiyoukai was there in a flash, a furry strength holding her back up even as a clawed hand snatched the cup from her fingers. His tail tickled her sides even as it tightened to support her coughing frame.

Regaining her composure, Kagome glared at the steady yellow gaze. "That was sake!"

The Taiyoukai's tail unfurled and he pushed the cup back toward her. "Eat. Drink." He leaned back, his manner distant and cold.

Kagome gave him a sour look. Ignoring his nearness, she deliberately avoided the warmed cup of sake and picked up a steaming bowl. Grasping the ornately carved chopsticks, she ate slowly. The sumptuous delicacies soon overcame her uneasiness, and she was polishing off the setting, feeling sleepily full and deceptively contented.

And thirsty.

"You don't have any tea, do you?" She asked, eyes wide with feigned innocense.

Amusement glinted in the golden eyes. "No."

"Oh." She contemplated the white porcelain, which was still surprisingly warm. Thirst won out over caution, and she picked up the cup. Warily sipping at the warmed liquid, she was surprised to find that the fire had been reduced to a warm glow. It slid over her tongue like silk, and honeyed its way down her throat to settle in her belly in a pool of glowing warmth.

She couldn't seem to slack her thirst, and the cup seemed to hold much more than it was supposed to. Her judicious sips turned into a steady draft as she greedily swallowed the sweet nectar. A faint aroma of flowers and honey wafted toward her nose, and she felt relaxed and almost easy as the liquid heat suffused her being. Eyes closing with contentment, she tilted her head back and drank more of the wonderful ambrosia.

She was almost sad when a white-clawed hand covered hers and took the cup from her relaxed fingers. A mew of protest was interrupted by a hiccup.

Giggling, Kagome's hand covered her mouth as she blushed. She blinked sleepily at the intensely golden gaze that trapped her own brown eyes. Befuddled and amused, she gave the golden eyes a soft smile.

*~*~*~*~*

SesshouMaru was surprised at how much the spiced sake had affected the girl. He frowned faintly as the ningen giggled again. Perhaps he had used too much of the special potion. He had not been certain of its effects on ningen, and had erred on the side of caution. But still it seemed as if he had used too much. The girl was pliant, yes, but almost lethargic. He sniffed delicately. The girl's fear and anger were silenced, and a warmer smell of happy contentment seemed to flow through his delicate nostrils.

*Intriguing scent.*

He was somewhat surprised by his reaction to her changing fragrance. He knew that the girl already smelled much better than most ningen, that she kept herself as clean as the fastidious Lord could wish.

Another giggle broke through the Taiyoukai's thoughts, and he watched silently as the girl stared at her own small hand, flexing the fingers with bemused fascination.

"Miko." He said coldly. Warm brown eyes rose and she smiled innocently. The Taiyoukai used his claws to hold the small, firm chin in his hand. The girl leaned into his fingers and closed her eyes with a contented sigh. A raven lock fell forward to rest on her cheek.

He could claim her then and there with ease. A surge of response flared the inu youkai blood that flowed through his veins, and his eyes bled with hinted passion. Nostrils flaring, he sniffed for the female's arousal, and found its delicate trace among the innocence of happy contentment and warmth.

The innocense stopped him. There would be more than enough time for that later. First, he wanted to ask the strange miko questions only she could answer.

A faint whisper of sound made him turn his head sharply to the rear of the great hall. Removing his claws from the girl's delicate jaw, he waited stoically for the approach of his silent servants. The minions bowed, and quickly removed the girl's dishes. The Taiyoukai stood up, and dipped his hands into the perfumed water offered by a bowing female. He glanced at the ningen girl, who watched the silent youkai with bemusement.

Quickly determining the interview would be better conducted in his own rooms, SesshouMaru strode to the girl's side. She looked up at him with sleepy brown eyes, a faint smile on her lips. The Lord leaned down, and gathered the small body in his arm. His tail unfurled and wrapped over the girl's legs and waist, supporting her slight weight. She radiated warmth, belying the coolness of when he had first held her like this, taunting his hanyou brother with his successful capture of the woman. The girl was not at all like the miko corpse who was his half-bastard brother's first love, even though the two could be twins in appearance. That likeness would be the first of many questions she would answer him.

The girl giggled at the touch of his tail, and SesshouMaru looked at her with curious detachment. The girl snuggled in his arms, and laid a small hand against his haori. He could feel the warm pressure through the white cloth covering his chest and allowed his fangs to gleam momentarily in a smile.

*~*~*~*~*

"Whatcha looking at?"

Ginta nearly jumped at the loud voice. Turning to glare at his wolf-brother, he held a clawed finger to his lips. He made a loud shushing noise, conspicuous in its volume.

The youkai below them stiffened, and sunk below the waters of the lake. Narrowed red eyes scanned the bank as ripples from her quick movement scattered over the water.

"Now you've done it!" Ginta growled, glancing at the defensive woman who bathed in the lake below.

Hokkaku, eyes wide, surveyed the lake. "Oh."

Ginta smacked him in the back of his shaved head. "Stupid whelp!"

"OW!"

"Who is there?" The female youkai said, eyes rubied with anger. "Show yourself!"

Flushing, both wolf demons emerged from the scratchy underbrush. They stood like naughty children, eyes cast down, trying not to peek at the white skin as the woman emerged from the water and clothed herself with a simple white yukata.

"Who are you?" The woman demanded sharply. Both youkai looked up, eyes widening as the white cloth clung to the damp curves, leaving little to the imagination.

"You're really pretty." Hokkaku said ingeniously.

Ginta smacked him in the head again, glaring at his wolf-brother's stupidity.

"Ow! What did you do that for?" Hokkaku glared back, rubbing his head.

"Stupid!" Ginta growled.

An impatient sigh interrupted their bickering, and the wolf demons flushed again. Ginta tried to straighten his slight shoulders, and thumped himself on his chest with verbosity. "I'm Ginta. And this," He motioned sourly at his brother, "this idiot is Hokkaku."

"I am not an idiot, Ginta!" Hokkaku protested hotly.

"What are you doing here?" The demand cut through their bickering like a knife.

"Er, uh..." Now it was Ginta's turn to stammer as he groped for an explanation.

"We wanted to see if you were all right. Or, I mean, fine." Hokkaku replied, red flaming his cheeks. "We were the ones who found you, my lady, and Hideki wouldn't let us see you. He said we were two impetuous whelps who didn't have any business staring at a fine lady like yourself...uh...umm...er..."

"You found me?" Damp black hair tumbled over the youkai's curves in rippling waves. The red eyes were deeply lashed, and her skin was pale, except for the darkly purple scar that marred one delicate cheek.

"Yes. I did." Ginta said eagerly. At his brother's glare, the wolf youkai amended hastily, "I mean, we did. Hokkaku and I. Our wolves led us to you. And we rescued you."

"Why?"

The woman's sharp question surprised both youkai.

"Why?" Hokkaku repeated, blinking. "Because you were hurt."

"And wounded." Ginta quickly added.

Not to be outdone by his brother, Hokkaku continued. "Wounded badly."

The female youkai regarded the wolf-brothers for a long, silent moment until they twitched nervously under that ruby gaze.

"I thank you." The woman said stiffly.

"Oh, no problem!" Ginta smiled stupidly, instantly smitten. It was not every day that a beautiful youkai woman came striding...well, carried...into their caverns.

"Sure." Hokkaku flushed. "Anytime, my lady."

"My name is K..." The woman paused. "Ura."

"Ura?" Ginta's brow furrowed at the strange name.

The woman closed her eyes with strain. "No...not Ura...Yura. Yes, Yura."

"Yura." The wolf-brothers blinked at each other, trying to remember where they had heard that name before. Shrugging, they dismissed it.

Hokkaku gave a bad imitation of a sweeping bow. "Well, my lady Yura, may I be so honored as to escort you back to your cave?"

Ginta waited for the precise moment and pushed the spiky-haired wolf-brother off balance. Hokkaku fell on his face in the dirt. Ginta smiled toothily and bowed. "May I, my lady?"

"I can make my own way." The woman was suddenly cold and distant.

"Oh, please?" Hokkaku spat out a mouthful of dead leaves. The lady gave him a long, silent look, as if trying to measure his motives. Three wolves emerged from the brush, whining a greeting. One made a beeline for Hokkaku, and a long, pink tongue lolled out.

"Don't you dare lick me you stinking cur!" Hokkaku sat up, pushing the wolf away.

A short laugh made the wolf demons grin at the beautiful woman. The woman's laughter died, and she looked startled that she had even dared to laugh. A surprised frown wrinkled the white brow.

Right then and there, both wolf-brothers vowed silently that they would make the tense and serious lady have more cause to laugh. Such a beautiful, if scarred, youkai deserved to laugh.