InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Price of Vengeance ❯ Chapter Fifty-Nine: Washi ( Chapter 60 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: Not mine.
 
WARNING: Some dark imagery and, worse, some of Jaken's lovely poetry. No one under 17, please!
 
Japanese Words
 
ookami - wolf
washi - eagle
kochou - butterfly
oushi - bull
ohitsuji - ram
 
Gaelic Words
 
Daoine Sidhe - those who are fey
TirnanOg - Faery Realms
Unseelie - dark fey
 
Chapter 59 (Washi)
 
It was that stupid Nobu who had come in and got him, snarling angrily at what he saw as Ginta's foolish wish to needlessly sacrifice himself to buy the rest of his tribe some semblance of time in getting away. Ginta's breath had come in racking sobs, his swinging rocks growing slower as each deadly worm launched for his throat. He nearly missed dripping death as his right arm shot out, squishing the foul demon against the rocky wall. The pain of impact shot up his numbed arm, and he howled at the ringing agony as his rock dropped from wooden fingers.
 
Another worm-snake was launching itself for his face and he barely batted it aside just in time. Turning in mid-air, the nasty little snake hissed at him and darted back, his jagged double-rows of teeth grinning torturous death at the grey-haired ookami youkai.
 
"Stupid whelp!"
 
Ginta blinked in shock as claws tore through the worm just inches from his face. Ginta fell to his knees, barely avoiding another snake, who had struck for his unprotected back. Nobu, his short, age-greyed black head twisting to the side as another demon sprang for his throat, snarled at Ginta to get the hell up, to come on you stupid pup!
 
Ginta's almost reflexively smashed the worm who had sailed past his face as Nobu's ichor-smeared talons ripped his own attacker to shreds. The pushy old fart had the gall to kick Ginta in the tail, roaring at him to move his carcass, and NOW!
 
Ginta scrambled to his feet, the blood beating in his ears. Dripping acid had burned his skin and furs in several places, and his right arm dragged at his side as if broken. Gritting his teeth, the ookami drew on the last shreds of his disappearing strength and followed the angry ookami out of the cavern, nearly sobbing as he felt the rush of thundering water flatten his hair to his head as he passed through the cascading waterfall.
 
Curling claws jerked at his shoulder, and Ginta followed the older wolf-brother up and out of the cavern, forcing his wooden legs to stagger up the rutted path. He dropped his worm-smeared rock to grab at the up-thrusting stones along the way and let out a howl as he felt something graze past his heel.
 
Turning with an agonized roar, he slashed desperately at the hissing worm-snake who had followed the two ookami out of the cavern. More worms were slipping out of the darkened cave-mouth and despair ate at Ginta's mind. There was no escape from them! They just kept coming and coming, and the wolf-brothers died in horrible pain from the never-ending stream of death that slithered in their wake.
 
Nobu hauled Ginta up the last bit of rocky cliff with a surprising show of force and snarled at him to get back to the others. Ginta could only heave a half-protest before Nobu pushed him away to swipe his blackened claws at the worm behind him.
 
Ginta fell back to the small knot of wolf-brothers who formed a last stand on the highest edge of their mountain home. It was the wolf-tribe's last, desperate attempt to protect those who were weaker by placing them in the center of their tight circle. Furred wolves howled at sight of him, their cries echoing off the rocks and ringing back both defiance and despair.
 
Ginta wiped the dripping sweat from his eyes, panting as hard as any of his four-legged brothers, and desperately tried to think of something, anything that might save them. His heart clenched as Nobu backed himself up beside him, the other youkai tightening their circle as they eyed the oncoming worm-snakes that were slipping up the rocky mountain-top from all sides.
 
With gnawing despair, Ginta calculated their death as more and more worm-snakes slithered their way up the rocky mountain. They seemed to be gathering in a wide circle so that the desperate wolf-brothers, rolling their eyes to every corner, could see death grinning at them from every angle.
 
*NO!*
 
Ginta let loose a howl of rage and sorrow that echoed off the uncaring rocks around him. "You damn WORMS!" He shouted. Gathering what strength he had left, his claws curled as the taunt muscles of his thighs bunched for a last leap. He was going to die, but by all that was holy, he was not going to die ALONE!
 
His snarling howl was taken up by his wolf-brothers and his heart swelled to see his clan, his tribe, his brothers, so ready to defy death and snarl in the face of certain doom. Baring his fangs, Ginta cracked the dagger-sharp claws of his left hand and prepared to meet death in the only honorable way---battle.
 
The light sandstone of the mountain was darkened with the shadows of rows and rows of slithering snakes, their hisses a whispering return to the ookami's fury.
 
A raucous scream pierced the cloud-covered sky but Ginta ignored it. A snarl of raging fury formed in his throat as an image of the Birds of Paradise, dread enemies of the eastern wolves, flashed across his reddened mind. Those filthy carrion-eaters WOULD take advantage of the wolves' desperate situation. A howl of fear welled up from behind him, and the rage rose up inside Ginta until he could see only blood for the scarlet vision that rose to fill his mind and glowing eyes.
 
Hiss of worm and caw of crow, none would take him cowering!
 
With a scream of pure fury, the young ookami leapt forward, screaming defiance as the rest of the knitted tribe took up his cry with a roar of screaming vengeance.
 
"DEATH!!!!"
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
There was a hiss of anger from the dark hanyou who faced her. Red eyes glittered, reflecting rage at the swirling surface of the disrupted image as the mirror's tiny white bearer became surprised by her Master's sudden reaction to what he saw.
 
A low sound, almost a growl, came from the angry hanyou. Curling black hair tumbled down the back of silken robes, and his claws twitched, as if wanting something to grasp. Was it rage at the mirror's sudden clouding as Kanna's concentration was disturbed? Was it fury at something he had seen? The white child of the Void turned the possibilities over in her mind, and was unaffected by her creator's anger as others might. She did not fear, she had nothing in her to know fear as others did.
 
She was the Void.
 
The hanyou's harsh whisper made her empty eyes widen though with its hard bite of thwarted malice.
 
"WASHI."
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
The sky stared sullenly down on the castle. The hovering clouds seemed to wrap themselves over every point, obscuring outlines in a dull haze. The earlier snow, once so pristine and white in its blanket of wintry splendor, now lay in dirtied clumps from the trampling of many feet. The air pressure seemed to weigh in on the stirring camps that now littered the valley floors below the castle, and the dull cacophony of hundreds of men and youkai, talking and eating, sharpening blades on whet-stones or each other in practice, growling and snarling in anger or jest, set a jarring backdrop to the discordant scene.
 
*What a beautiful day!*
 
Jaken could almost whistle with how wonderful he was feeling right now. Fastidiously moving his best brown robes out of the way of impending muddying on the soiled path leading up from the tents that had sprung up as me Lord's allies answered the kochou's call, the little imp wanted to dance and jig with delighted glee.
 
Suyo was gone, and he, Jaken, First Advisor to me Lord SesshouMaru, was reinstated as nominal head of castle and staff, graced by the Taiyoukai himself with the responsibility of seeing to the welfare of ally and guest.
 
He had known that once the Taiyoukai had returned from his long absence from the Western Lands, Lord SesshouMaru would set everything to right, and reinstate his most humble and loyal (not to forget competent!) advisor back into a position worthy of his station, talent, and intellect. It was no longer HIS job to go chasing after that impudent scrap of a ningen brat, and for that Jaken gave hourly thanks to the kami.
 
Of course, the little brat had been all upset. She had even cried. Well, one tear. Jaken had almost felt bad about it, but then the stinking little turnip had had to go and nearly strangle him with a hug. He had nearly choked with the force of it, and wanted to gag after with the ningen stench that he just knew festooned his second best set of robes. Of course, even Rin's stench couldn't hide the faint smell of fish, and Jaken had had to put away his second best set and bring out his third.
 
He couldn't be smelling like a fish-wife when he went and greeted me Lord's guests. The thought was just too unworthy, not to mention disagreeable to one of his innate (and humbled) dignity!
 
He had just been to see Suyo and that gaggle of midwives and guards the spider youkai was taking to the village of the Goshinboku at SesshouMaru-sama's request. The Lord had been too busy, closeting himself with his generals and those allies too important to leave out of the decisions concerning the upcoming war with Naraku. Jaken had been all too delighted to take on the responsibility of seeing that pretentious spider off and out of his hair. With Suyo gone, Jaken did not have to worry about the threat of losing his post again to that four-armed---
 
Jaken jerked to a halt with a frown. There was a small crowd milling about the front gate, barring his way into the castle. Thumping his staff against the stones with ire, the small, yellow-eyed imp scowled.
 
*What now?*
 
He had been enjoying all the bustle. With so many youkai arriving, Jaken had been busy. Settling those too important to send back outside into the inner rooms of the castle had been a challenge. Finding room for all of their retainers and guards had been even more invigorating. Greeting each one, who had to bow to him, the First Advisor, as they would to the Taiyoukai, had been truly gratifying. Settling squabbles and smoothing feisty tempers was an art, one he knew he could play well. Most of these so-called allies were just jumped-up robber-barons unused to a civilized court, and their tempers roused far too easily. The castle staff were no help---those incompetents had no idea and did not care if some Lord's feathers got ruffled, or some General's sword got yanked. He, Jaken, had to do everything himself, and just look what happened when he was gone but only a few moments! Chaos! And at the front door!
 
The imp cleared his throat, expecting the small crowd---which seemed mostly composed of some kind of dark-feathered bird youkai and a few Ash-demons---to part for him. But no one turned around; his words could not be heard over the raucous voices that demanded to see the Lord.
 
*Blasted barbarians.*
 
He really should look into getting a herald, some volume-rising youkai or pet to follow him about and let others know of his arrival and his passage between them. He had envied Lord Ryota his little pet parrot from the far southwestern continent. Lord Ryota might be a stubborn, thick-headed bull youkai with a penchant for glaring red and purple kimonos with gold and silver trim, but he certainly had an idea there! Of course, everyone growled and complained when Lord Ryota's parrot started screeching out his name, but in Jaken's opinion, the other Lords and youkai were just put out with the idea because they hadn't thought of it first. Just because that screechy parrot made some youkai's delicate ears ring didn't mean that Lord Ryota didn't show some good sense in keeping his parrot by his side.
 
But sadly, he didn't have a green-feathered parrot with him. Not even a handy Ash-demon guard to at least bellow out his name. He needed to get through this milling crowd of infuriating imbeciles, and needed to do it now.
 
Must he do EVERYTHING?
 
Sighing with irritation, Jaken tightened his grip on his Staff of Skulls and prepared to swing it like a stick to gain the nearest bird-brain's attention. At least it would make the stupid youkai get out of his way...
 
*Wh-What?*
 
Jaken let out a small "eep" of surprise when the bird-man turned around at the last moment and grabbed his Staff of Skulls in one taloned hand. Easily raising both imp and staff up into the air as if they weighed nothing, Jaken suddenly found himself staring into a pair of hard amber eyes, some three feet off of the ground.
 
Kicking his little legs, Jaken squawked with outrage. The washi warrior only shook the green imp about as if he were a rag doll. Screeching, dignity forsaken at this atrocity on his very person, the First Advisor sputtered out a rain of abuse between heaving breaths.
 
"Set me down you...feathered fool! How...dare...you! Wait...until... me Lord...hears about...this!"
 
"Airdsgainne." The aggravating bird-man paused at the sound of that firm, feminine voice. Jaken nearly squealed with outrage when the obnoxious simpleton just let him go---to fall three feet straight down to the hard stones in a huddled heap of wrinkled robes and sprawling imp.
 
Oh, the indignity of it all!
 
He missed what the woman said next to her birdish oaf---he was too busy staring at the large tear that now split his best brown robes to the knee. The hem was frayed and the back of his clothes was soaked in the damp, dirty snow he had fallen into. The utter indignity of it all chafed the First Advisor like nothing else. Gone was his good mood and his contentment with the world. Just wait until he ordered that bird roasted for dinner! Just wait until he had the bullying barbarian imprisoned for his callous disregard for impish eminence! Just wait---
 
All thoughts faded from the imp's mind as he blinked the dirt out of his eyes and finally caught sight of his rescuer. The youkai had bent down and extended one hand to help the advisor to his feet, and Jaken's yellow eyes nearly boggled out of his head as he stared at her in drop-jawed shock.
 
She was...beautiful. Wonderful. Amazing. Utterly captivating.
 
She was...perfect.
 
Mesmerized, he followed the graceful length of her arm, her golden-brown skin the perfect blend of honeyed tea set in pale morning sunlight. Long black tresses, braided tightly into hundreds of individual braids, hung behind sloping shoulders and a face that was both narrow and delicate, firmed with a strong character and softened by full, pouty lips almost mulberry wine in color. A somewhat hawkish nose---a strong nose, a nose of character and determination---was set between eyes that were so thickly lashed they looked almost sensuously sleepy as they stared down at him with mild concern. Delicately arched brows were raised in inquiry as amusement sparked through the piercing golden splendor of her eagle-eyed gaze.
 
"Phoenix." Jaken breathed, utterly entranced.
 
The beautiful mouth smiled wryly. "No, my little one. I am washi. An eagle youkai."
 
"Lady Lusaidh, this beggar is beneath your notice." The other washi youkai said arrogantly, fisting his arms over his armored chest and staring down at Jaken as if he were a worm he didn't find particularly appetizing.
 
*Beggar?* Jaken's toes curled in outrage, and he wanted to twist that condescending sneer off of that barbarian's ugly face. But then the Lady Lusaidh---what an enchantingly foreign name, so lyrical and melting in his mind---interrupted his thoughts as she spoke again, and took his little three-clawed hand into her own black-taloned fingers.
 
"Come, little one. Ignore my warrior. He is young. Forgive him, for my sake."
 
Jaken nodded dumbly, all speech departing him as his mind whirled with her very presence. She was so beautiful and regal...a queen, a tennyo, a goddess!
 
Helping him to his feet, the Lady stood up, and Jaken stared up at her with lovesick devotion. She was tall and lithe, her body muscled and curved into perfected womanhood. Brown and white eagle feathers adorned her hair and made a shortened skirt of her armor. She wore a sword at her side and carried a tall spear as if it were weightless.
 
She was Athene, Greek goddess of the hunt. She was...everything an imp could ever wish to desire. Gulping back a nervous twitter in his throat, Jaken attempted a deep and gracious bow, caught his bended knees in the damp folds of his dirtied robes, and fell snoot-first into the stones at the Lady's feet.
 
Muffled laughter made the poor imp cringe, but the Lady was too gracious to laugh at his bumbling. She only smiled as she once again helped him to his feet. "Your robes are wet." She said practically. "Let me carry you inside the Western Lord's castle, little one, where I am certain dry clothes can be found for you."
 
Jaken nodded dreamily. To be carried in that goddess's arms, where he could nestle closely to her lovely skin and lay his weary head on her soft bosom...*O! for heaven's embrace, the imply prince's heart did race...* He was creating beautiful poetry just staring at her! His lovely Angel...
 
Lusaidh nodded toward one of her warriors, and Jaken squawked when a pair of strong arms swept him up and over a shoulder like he was a sack of rice. Beak falling open in shocked confusion, he lost sight of his goddess as she led her warriors into the front gate of the castle, a small escort of SesshouMaru's ash-demon guards falling in behind. Jaken scowled at the grinning fools who saluted him.
 
What a lousy day it was turning out to be.
 
*~*~*~*~*
 
SesshouMaru stared thoughtfully at the youkai assembled within the great hall. These were his allies and vassals, those who had come to the call of his blood to seek vengeance against the dark hanyou Naraku. Some had come quickly, raising their voices in anger at the betrayal of one of their own, while others had come grudgingly, owing his inu bloodline their compliance.
 
All would follow him, even unto death.
 
Raising the small white cup of sake to his mouth, the Taiyoukai wet his lips but did not drink. Memories whispered across his mind, and if he gripped the cup tighter as the sweet face of a young miko raising a similar cup to her rose-bud lips flickered across his mental vision, no one deigned to notice.
 
Few would notice anything this night. The day was given over to feasting, as the various lords and youkai partook of the Western Lord's hospitality. The last of his allies were arriving, and tomorrow SesshouMaru would hold war council with those he deemed worthy of leading his combined armies against Naraku. Tonight was for the pledge of victory and the salute of long life. Within the week, they would march.
 
To victory or to death.
 
"RYOTA. RYOTA."
 
SesshouMaru winced slightly as the raucous call of the bull Lord's parrot screeched across the cavernous hall. He wasn't the only one to flinch, and the more delicate-eared youkai scowled as the pompous oushi pushed past them, his green-plumed bird riding on one broad shoulder.
 
Lord Ryota was as garishly plumed as his pet parrot. Bedecked in gold and silver, his kimono was of woven purple silk, red flowers and flying birds crossing its violently violet background. A gold obi could not cinch in a bulging waistline. The bull Lord's muscle had turned to fat over the peaceful years as he trusted the Taiyoukai more and more to keep his borders freed of marauding vermin. SesshouMaru hid his disgust well. He had played the game before, and he had the patience to wait. Eventually, the oushi youkai would make a mistake, and seek his protection. A neighbor would then become a vassal, and his borders would expand with no need for blood-letting.
 
His father, InuTaisho, would have looked askance at his son's long-term plan. The old Lord would have fought the bull youkai himself, demanded their allegiance under threat of total clan annihilation, and believed it the only way. But SesshouMaru was content to wait. Ryota would bring about his own downfall.
 
"My lord!" Ryota, more than half-drunk on rice wine, bowed clumsily to the Taiyoukai. SesshouMaru nodded once, his golden gaze cold, in acknowledgment of the oushi's obeisance. Thankfully, the bull youkai had spotted some sake and a pretty maid, and he abruptly departed for the far corner of the great hall. SesshouMaru did not know if he could have put up with any of the oushi's blustering pomposity. The inu within him growled across the back of his mind, letting him know that his tolerance and patience were thin tonight.
 
His eyes traveled across the youkai restlessly. He desired the privacy of his rooms. He was not one to hold court, as his grandfather had done. He preferred his rule of the Western Lands to that of his father, a solitary role. He did not need the empty flattery and petty conspiracies that courts allowed. But he knew his duty, and the festive mood of the feast would be disturbed if the Taiyoukai should depart it early.
 
He nodded absently as other youkai came to bow before him, waving aside false words and not truly concentrating on what they said to him. He wondered idly where Jaken was. The first advisor would have enjoyed this show of the inu Lord's strength, and had proved a good deterrent when some overblown youkai grew too onerous for the Taiyoukai's limited patience.
 
He studied the youkai who sat at table with him, those he held the most trust in. Old Seiryoku had been a general for InuTaisho, and though the old inu could no longer hold a sword for the cramping weakness in his hands, his knowledge of war and strategy was invaluable. It was Seiryoku's grandson, Susumu, who would lead half of SesshouMaru's army. Susumu came from a proud lineage, and had already proved his worth in times past.
 
Lord Berugu and Lord Ookawa spoke in low whispers, their eyes ever watchful for danger even as they relaxed over their sake. Lord Shitiro, lord of one of the seven Horse Clans, sat back, his eyes closed as he feigned sleep while listening to his fellow youkai. These, among others, had come at his call, and he trusted them above such lordlings as Ryota or Purotto of the lynx tribe. But the war he planned would be immense, and the Taiyoukai would not disdain aid from any quarter.
 
"Put me down, you bird-brained barbarian!"
 
SesshouMaru's eyes snapped to the front, where a contingent of washi youkai had just entered the far doors of the grand hall. He could see Jaken, slung over a broad shoulder like a sack, being handed down to the ground.
 
"Down you go, toadling." The eagle warrior chuckled as the green imp's eyes bulged with outrage.
 
"I am not a toad!" Jaken screeched, much to the amusement of the staring youkai.
 
SesshouMaru's eyes narrowed.
 
Jaken gave his disreputable robes a tug and snatched up his Two-Headed Staff when another washi extended it to him. Scowling, the little imp fairly scuttled to the front of the room, where he bowed low to the Taiyoukai.
 
"Forgive my tardiness, Master." Jaken was about to launch into an explanatory speech, but SesshouMaru's attention was already on the eagle youkai who had followed his servant's path. Faint memory stirred, and he coolly contemplated the female washi warrior as she bowed formally to the Taiyoukai.
 
Amber eyes, surrounded by lashes so thick it seemed like kohl had been used to enhance their almond shape, stared into his own without fear. "Forgive my tardiness as well, my lord." The woman spoke in a soft, confident voice. "I am Lusaidh, and I have come from the Scots highlands at your call, to answer a blood-debt long past of my clan to yours."
 
SesshouMaru's gaze took in the twenty warriors who stood behind their lady, their bearing proud and ready. The golden eagles of Scotland had come, and if their wing-strength was as true as his father had spoken, than he would not spurn their aid.
 
"You are welcomed, my lady." SesshouMaru bowed his head in silent respect. "Your arrival is auspicious. Please join me at my table, Lady Lusaidh, and allow your men to join mine in toasting our victory."
 
Lusaidh bowed again, accepting his offer. SesshouMaru waited a moment for his servant Jaken to come to senses and seat the eagle youkai, but the imp was too busy staring dreamy-eyed at the beautiful washi.
 
Annoyance tinged the Taiyoukai's voice as he roused his remiss servant. "Jaken."
 
The imp jerked awake, and flushed with embarrassment. "Your pardon, me Lord! Me lady, please come." Jaken almost tripped over his torn robes in his haste to draw a low-backed chair for the female youkai. Two bright spots appeared in his round cheeks, a particularly hideous effect on Jaken's dull green skin. His boushi was slightly askew, making the toadish imp appear ridiculous.
 
SesshouMaru waited, a slightly bored expression on his still features while Jaken fussed over the washi lady, bringing her rice wine and edible dainties from the sideboard. When the lady thanked the imp, he nearly fell over. SesshouMaru, bored with watching his servant act the fool, waved him back, and Jaken retreated to the shadowed wall, where he stood and gazed at the washi youkai with a singular fanaticism.
 
"You have flown far, my lady." SesshouMaru said. "I hope your journey was not wearying and proved uneventful."
 
Lusaidh sipped her wine delicately before replying, "As a matter of fact, my Lord, my journey was not uneventful. I was delayed some time by an unseen detour."
 
A single brow rose in inquiry. SesshouMaru felt a stir of interest. Had the washi, flying across the islands, seen something of Naraku's movements? It had been frustratingly difficult for the Taiyoukai to obtain news of the dark hanyou's plans. The baboon seemed to crouch in his poisoned castle like some spider, waiting for defenseless prey to come to him.
 
This prey was hardly defenseless, and SesshouMaru would seek that foul spawn to the ends of the earth, and crush the very life from him.
 
"My men and I came across a tribe of wolves, my Lord, who were surrounded and beset by some type of wyrm." Lusaidh's eagle-amber eyes seemed to darken for a moment in memory. "It must have been a nasty fight. Many wolves had died already, my Lord, and I could not leave those few for the wyrms to devour."
 
"You helped them?" General Seiryoku interrupted, his interest caught by the eagle-woman's words. SesshouMaru suddenly realized that the quiet conversations around him had died, and that the other lords and generals seated around his table were now turning their full attention upon the young leader of the golden eagles.
 
"We were unable to do more than rescue the remaining wolves from the top of their mountain." Lusaidh answered Seiryoku, her amber eyes troubled for a moment. "The wyrms were too many, and too tiny a foe for our talons. The wolves we rescued were wounded. Several died before we could deliver them to safety in their sister's village."
 
"Tiny, you say?" Lord Berugu, a ohitsuji youkai from the southern, coastal mountains, frowned.
 
"Yes, my lord." Lusaidh nodded. "The wyrms were no larger than the length of my hand." She stretched out her delicate fingers, the black claws thicker and slightly more curling than other youkai, though none the less sharp for that. "They were red-brown in color, and bit acid. They could shoot from the ground like an arrow, and were extremely maneuverable and quick in flight. Not so quick, though, that my warriors could not out-fly them." There was quiet pride in her voice, and SesshouMaru knew it was worthy, if estimates of the golden eagles' abilities in the air were true.
 
Berugu grunted. "I know those nasty worms, lady, though they are far from their home territories."
 
Lord Ookawa, who had been in close conversation with Berugu before, tapped a clawed finger against his sake cup. "I wonder, Berugu, if these worms were creatures of Naraku. You were just telling me that you had seen that meddling monkey on your borders in mid-summer."
 
Berugu pursed his lips. The horns that curled on either side of his head in almost a full spiral were pale against the darker shadow of his thick brown hair. "I can see why Naraku might be interested in those nasty worm-snakes---that ambitious half-breed seems to have an affinity for bugs and other such ilk---but why would he send them to attack some wolf-tribe in the east?"
 
SesshouMaru stilled. The east? The eastern wolves were led by Koga, a young whelp who, if he remembered correctly, had had some dealings with his brother InuYasha...
 
And Kagome.
 
The inu growled across the back of his mind, though his expression remained distant and unworried. His eyes glowed though, as he remembered that it was also that same wolf who had sent his four-legged vassals after a defenseless Rin in the forests of her village.
 
Crimson streaks seeped into his eyes, before SesshouMaru ruthlessly suppressed them as he realized just how intently the other youkai were looking at him. Golden calm returned to his still gaze, and he leaned, deliberately careless, back into his chair. The youkai lords relaxed around him, though Lusaidh's glance was sharp before she allowed Susumu, his general, to take her attention away with a question about the wolves she had rescued.
 
"We took them to the village of their oath-sister, a daughter of men. There was a remarkable amount of the Daoine Sidhe there."
 
"Deenie shee?" Susumu, curiousity sparked in his blue eyes, asked with interest.
 
SesshouMaru's golden eyes narrowed slightly, but the eagle youkai shrugged. "They of the TirnanOg. I know not what name you give them. This land is strange, and it seems as if the Unseelie holds more power than those of the Green Tree and the First Path. You are more familiar with the children of earth than we in Scotland." She motioned gracefully to where ningen soldiers had gathered around their daimyo at one side of the great hall. They were loyal to the Western Lands or to other youkai allies, and SesshouMaru did not eschew their battle-strength, though once he would have.
 
*The miko has changed me, more than I care to admit at this point.*
 
Growling the distracting thought away, the Taiyoukai focused on the eagle-woman, interrupting her with a query of his own. "You left the wolves in this onna's village?"
 
Lusaidh did not flinch from his penetrating gaze as many others would have. "Yes, my lord. There were healers there, strong healers, who could help the wounded wolves. It was a sacred place, and I, who have never seen one of the Undying Forest before, was impressed to see a God's Tree to have taken root there."
 
God's Tree...
 
The white claws on his single hand tightened around the china cup he held in his palm at the realization. *Goshinboku.*
 
Lusaidh's eagles had rescued the wolves of Koga from an enemy possibly sent by Naraku, and had then placed them in the village of the Goshinboku.
 
The village of Kagome.
 
The crimson anger that bled his eyes startled the youkai around him. The inu seethed, and SesshouMaru's fangs appeared for just a moment before he wrestled the inu back, and assumed the chillingly familiar aura of cold distance.
 
The dark hanyou played a dangerous game. It was past time to see the vermin buried beneath his claws. For it was Naraku who kept the Taiyoukai from the mother of his forth-coming child. SesshouMaru knew well the venomous monkey's fondness for intricate plots and seemingly meaningless schemes. That dark demon had manipulated lives to his pleasure before, but it would be SesshouMaru's pleasure to end the baboon's scheming for all time.
 
The lords, even the lady washi, would not meet the Taiyoukai's eyes. For though his manner seemed cool and distant, his golden eyes shone with a faint mist of barely held red rage.
 
The rage of vengeance.