InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Red ❯ As We Begin To Move ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: As We Begin To Move

Confusion could sometimes be more enlightening and quite a bit more exciting than the clearest of facts. From confusion stems curiosity, and from curiosity stems increased thought and speculation. These thoughts and speculations bring forth further observation, and theories are formed. Once these ideas are spawned, the attention upon the matter at hand becomes greater and the initiative taken in figuring out what caused the confusion increases.

And in saying so, it was to be that this confusion and the following curiosity came plentiful this day…

The day had been going along uneventfully enough, as the group moved towards the West, wherein there was rumored to be a few Shikon shards. Arguments passed, some more vicious and violent than others, though the violence received was quite a bit one-sided. Of course, the monk deserved everything he got. Yet, most curious indeed, was that the majority of the arguments progressing with a steady frequency were not between the half-siblings as one might expect. In fact, the two had barely said more than two words to one another since the journey had begun.

Sesshomaru could not keep the amused wonder from his eyes as he watched Inuyasha's face implant itself into the dirt for what seemed the twentieth time that day.

What an amazing woman the little miko was, to be able to conquer his wily younger brother with one word, using what seemed to be a collar. A spell, undoubtedly used to subdue him when he got out of line or control. 'Just like a puppy…' A smirk became visible upon the demon lord's beautiful features.

Yet, despite his amusement, Sesshomaru was curious, which was something he hated. It made no sense that he, the Great Lord of the Western Lands was extremely curious in matters that had nothing to do with his own affairs. What made this girl so interesting that he caught himself staring for minutes at a time, trying to decipher that barrage of emotions that seemed to saturate her aura? What was it about her that had him waiting for the next of her reactions to various things that happened around her?

Perhaps it was because she had become a youkai… No, he squashed that idea the instant it came. His interest had been just as deep when she'd been human, as he often wondered why she wasn't afraid of him, as other humans had always been. He'd also questioned why such an extraordinary creature wasted time with an incompetent fool like the half breed. Actually, the question still plagued his mind.

He knew that she had loved the worthless bastard once, so much so that she'd risked her life for him countless times. Neither time had the hanyou been appreciative in the least bit. Not so oddly enough, Inuyasha was too much an immature moron to realize the young woman's feelings, or the fact that he'd felt the same.

Once, when they'd been allied against Naraku, Sesshomaru, had, against his better judgment, asked her that very question.

~Flashback~

It'd been after a particularly vicious argument that he felt compelled to speak with her on the matter. Apparently, the hanyou had been quite on edge because of the re-killing of his twice-dead bitch. What was her name again? Kikyo? Yes, that was it. Inuyasha'd been spouting insults and blaming the occurrence on Kagome.

Any fool could see that the young demon-miko had been angered by his false accusations and taunts. But hidden within those blue-gray depths was pain.

It seemed so ingrained that he'd expected her to lash out, and possibly give Inuyasha the beating of his miserable life; goodness knows, he needed it.

However, instead of attacking, she ran. With an increased speed even he had a hard time achieving so quickly, she'd vanished into the night.

And to this day, Sesshomaru still did not know why he felt he had to follow her that night. At the time, the question seemed irrelevant to the task at hand, so he'd put it off for later contemplation.

When he found her, she was sitting atop a hill, overlooking a valley lavished with exotic flowers and other lush vegetation. (AN: Use your imagination. I'm sleepy and as such, I am terrible at description for the time being. >.>;;)

He'd expected to find her bawling her eyes out as she usually did when emotionally distressed. Perhaps even throw an enraged fit, as she often did when the hanyou had overstepped his boundaries. Yet, he heard not a sob, nor curse of any kind. There was no smell of salt in the air, signifying that she hadn't been crying. But what he did hear was a soft sigh in the passing wind, signaling the heavy sadness that burdened her soul. He could even smell it, though her scent always retained it's intoxicating aroma of sakura blossoms, and vanilla spices, it was weighed down, almost drenched with the heaviness of despair. It was then that he couldn't stop the words from spilling forth, as he sat next to her, facing the valley.

"Do you still love him?"

Surprisingly enough, she had not been startled by his presence, nor by his question. She took both in evenly, and answered him in what he thought to be absolute truthfulness.

"I don't know anymore…"

"He doesn't deserve you." The statement, caught both of them unawares, he was sure of it. He had not known what compelled him to say something he didn't even know he was thinking, but he did not elaborate, and she didn't ask him to.

~End Flashback~

Sesshomaru snapped himself out of his revere to find that Kagome had come to an abrupt halt, body stiff, head lifted as she delicately sniffed the air, pointed ears perked and wavering, delving into the sounds of the forest. With an astral eye, the taiyoukai was able to see her aura as it pulsed brightly, sensing something.

He too, tested the air, as well as the sounds within the forest.

"Youkai are approaching, three of them," he stated, monotonously, golden eyes instantly falling upon the young priestess to confirm his observations, oddly wondering if that was what she'd sensed as well.

"Yes, and they each have a jewel shard. But their headed away from us, going further north," she said, nodding towards the demon lord.

"True, but they are only a mile or so ahead of us. Such a small distance can be crossed minutely."

"Perhaps, you and Lady Kagome should go on ahead of us, Lord Sesshomaru. After all, you two are the fastest of the group," Miroku offered. Far be it for him to pass up an opportunity that presented it self so readily to his attention.

"Hold the hell up a second, I'm fast too you know!" Ah yes, and the stupid hanyou is right on time, as he must always put his 'two cents' in, as Kagome could say.

"While that is very true, Inuyasha, they still stand a better chance of getting to the desired destination much quicker than any of us could," the monk tried to ease the situation so that it'd have less a blow on the Inuyasha's ego, even though he knew it'd go right over the half-breed's head, like everything else did.

"Enough with the useless prattle, it gets us know where. If you wish it so, Kagome, let us be off immediately."

Kagome's brow raised a couple of notches above the normal just then. He was… he was requesting her presence… Not demanding it, there was no poison claw at her throat, no threats, no 'let's go wench.' Very strange… very strange indeed.

Swallowing her confusion, Kagome nodded her consent, immediately taking to the trees at a reasonable speed, raven tresses in the wind.

The taiyoukai soon followed, having to increase his usual rate of speed to catch up with her. Truly, she was an amazing creature.

"Hey! Wait up!" Inuyasha hated being left behind, left in the dust by his older brother as he always was, but now by Kagome as well. It angered him to no end, that she hadn't even consulted him in the matter, not even so much a glance in his direction. Instead, that bastard had caught her attention with his nonchalant attitude and regality bullshit.

Oh but he was pissed. How dare he! How dare that cold-hearted bastard just barge into their lives once again, disrupting everything like he always did!

Unconsciously, Inuyasha's speed quickened as he bounded through the trees, following their scents that seemed to almost dissipate with their level of speed.

Not this time, damn it. He would not be left behind; he would not be made a fool of.

*****

What seemed like only minutes later, Kagome landed within a clearing… an empty clearing. Yet, it was anything but empty; her senses wouldn't let her believe otherwise. The shards she'd sensed before pulsed in time with her power, beginning to purify just by the nearness of her presence. She knew that if they didn't do something, the youkai holding them would be purified along with the shards; they had to react soon, as she knew they sensed her presence.

Seconds later, Sesshomaru landed beside her, standing in all his usual glory, senses on full alert to the surrounding danger. He, as well, sensed the youkai around them, trying fruitlessly to hide themselves from their would-be attackers.

There! There in the shadows… There was movement. It was enough to avert Kagome's attention, and then it was too late. A female neko-youkai was already upon her, scarcely giving her time enough to even take a glance before gleaming claws almost struck their target. Almost…

Kagome opened her eyes to find nothing there, but finding that the youkai lay in a bloody mass at her feet, a tainted shard glimmering evilly within the carnage. Yet, she did feel something. Something was wrapped tightly around her waist. Odd… Her eyes traveled to where she felt the odd sensation, discovering an arm… Eh? The arm held her firmly against a body, one that smelled suspiciously like… Sesshomaru! Kagome blushed deeply as she looked up into the intense golden gaze of the demon lord.

"Um… Thank you…"

"It's not over yet," he stated, nodding towards the two remaining youkai, standing a short distance in front of them.

Kagome growled lowly, stepping away from Sesshomaru's protective embrace and into a defensive stance, much to his dismay.

Time to go to work…

End Chapter 4