InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Red ❯ Where'd You Go ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6: Where'd you go?

During the contemplation of one's life that one tends to look back one previous events with a critical eye. Sometimes, satisfaction of one's actions, once looked upon, isn't easily found. Of course, such things could be chalked up to how the past life was lived, what influenced them against their will, to be who they are and make the mistakes they made.

However those influences cannot be completely put to fault for actions of foolishness, and rash thoughtlessness. Said traits are undesirable and often block out the truth of matters, no matter how unimportant they seem at the current time.

*****

Inuyasha watched the morning sun as it rose, hailing the start of a novel day. Yet, his mood did not reflect the brightful cheeriness that seemed to mingle into the day's first cooling breeze.

Instead, his thoughts were currently residing upon his detested half brother, who was currently set off from the rest of the group like himself, thoughts elsewhere. Yet, his molten gaze rested unwaveringly upon the newest addition to the inu-youkai race, and it was seriously starting to tick him off.

For some reason, the bastard would not stop staring at her. It was like, the entire time he'd been traveling with them, which had only been a day or so, he just kept staring at her. Inuyasha was about ready to rip his eyes out, the ass. Kagome was his and his ALONE; he just... hadn't really... told her yet. But... but she would know soon enough!

He supposed he would have to pull his womanly brother asside and let him know to keep his manacured claws off.

*****

Sesshomaru paid no heed to his half-sibling as, indeed, his thought were else where. Settled comfortably against the nearest three, he watched as a certain youkai chatted amiably with her human companions. They all seemed to be in conversation about something or other, all except the kitsune cub and that irksome hanyou. The former lay snoozing against his mother's bosome where she cradled him gently in her arms. The later sat sulkily on the opposite side of the encampment, brooding as per usual.

Sesshomaru sighed as he let his thoughts drift to the morning's earlier events.

>>>>> When the dawn beheld its glory upon the lands that morning, he'd already been awake for a few hours, taking the time needed before hand to patrol his lands.

Upon his return, all within the clearing where they'd rested the night before remained to be asleep, even Inyasha, though he knew the hanyou did not sleep very long.

But the worthless half-breed wasn't exactly what was causing the pull of his attention, like an impression tugging at the back of his mind. Carefully, keen eyes began a thorough search of the area.

Everything seemed normal enough, or as normal is this little group could get. The taijiya and houshi were in place as they should be, sleeping close to the dying fire of the night before. Inuyasha slept further away from the group, up against the sturdy trunk of a nearby tree. The kitsune was sleeping as well, nestled in the warmth of his mother's sleeping contraption... but... where was his mother?

Delicately, the youkai lord took stock of the air, attempting to trace the scent of sakura blossams, and vanilla spices. It was quite close it seemed, as the scent began to wash over his senses, causing his body to react in the most questionable of ways.

Once again, she sat in the tree tops, over looking the lands, taking in the surrounding beauty of which unexperianced eyes feasted upon.

Sesshomaru suddenly found himself relenting to one of his usually well-controled urges, launching into the tree, effortlessly vaulting from branch to branch with the natural grace and effieciency of a masterful predator.

Minutely, he would land upon the broad branch, on which rested Kagome, sitting back on her haunches. Wordlessly, he settled himself beside her.

Neither of them spoke for a while, mellowed in their comfortable silence. But Kagome was never one for long periods devoid of speech.

"It's beautiful, isn't it," she said, soft voice seeming to take on a wistful note, blue-gray hues never once relenquishing their sight of the land.

"Indeed," was his only response, though his eyes did not behold the land for the moment, nor the comment.

"I guess that's one of the reasons you protect the land as well as you do."

It was actually true, though beauty was far from being the only reason he gave so much of his time to keeping peace within the Western Lands. He constantly devoted himself to restoring the honor and prestige his family lost long ago with the birth of his hated, bastard half-brother.

Kagome seemed to pick up on this, or so her next question would entail...

"Why are you helping us, Sesshomaru?" She was looking at him now, with those depthless eyes that ordinary men could lose themselves in until the time of sweet death... Sesshomaru was not an ordinary man... or was he?

The taiyoukai's expression remained as neutral as he remained silent, for the moment that is. Yet, the question had caught him off guard, perhaps even startled him a little, being that he'd felt his earlier explainations were more than valid. After all, he was ruler and soul heir to the lands of his father's legacy; any one should understand that he would do almost anything to maintan some semblance of order within those lands.

"I have already given my reasonse," he spoke tersely, the tension mounting his body betraying the calm collectiveness upon his countanance and heard within the montoneous pitch of his voice.

"I know that, but... I guess it just doesn't seem like you," her voice quietly conveyed, sounding small and slightly unsure.

"Do not assume that you know me, wench," he said coldly, mentally cursing himself for moving to the defensive so damn quickly, rising to depart. He hadn't wanted to come off that way, as the idiot hanyou often did, but he didn't want to be found out just yet.

"Oh come off it, Sesshomaru. Don't give me that pretentious, condecending 'This-Sesshomaru-answers-to-no one' crap. All I'm saying is that I doubt you need help getting rid of a few lesser youkai, even if they might have shards," she huffed, fuming over the attitude of that pompous jerk-off of a youkai. She should have known better than to think he'd changed, even the slightest bit.

"Correct, Miko. I need nor do I answer to anyone other than myself," he said, his voice softening just the slightest, the intense golden gaze falling directly in to blazing eyes of blue fire.

"Then why are you helping us? How could you possibly benefit from helping us gather a few shards?

"You," and he was gone, leaving a very confused Kagome in his wake.

>>>> Sesshomaru sighed inaudibly, letting his eyes once again trail minutely over the miko-demoness. She was quite the clever little minx, recognizing for what he was. He needed to watch what he said, lest he be found out before the time was right.

Of course, he, The Great Western Lord was not afraid, nor embarrased about the feelings that were suddenly developing. He cared not what others thought; it was about time he thought of taking a mate anyway. However, he would not be revealed if the devoloping emotions were not returned, his pride would not allow such humiliation.

Yet, he knew not how to make the woman feel as he did, nor did he wish to openly court her without revealing himself.

Sesshomaru groaned inwardly; this whole ordeal was entirely too complicated. He was not a conceited being, but it did not go unnoticed that most would fawn over him, making their wishes to be his mate known quite blatantly. Though, many of those females were beautiful beyond the imagination, none had struck him as one he wished to spend eternity with.

Again the demon lord sighed, coming to stand as he stretched his lithe, muscular frame. He supposed he might need help with this situation, not wishing to blunder through the hell-pitt that was romance.

/Perhaps you should ask the, monk. He seems worldly enough in the territory of females./

'I will not stoop so low as to ask a mere human male for help, much less the monk. He is constantly beaten and battered by the taijiya for his lechorous advances.'

/That might be so, but you have seen how her eyes soften at his flattering words and even at his touches. Beating him senseless is only a front./

'Even so, he is still a lowly human. I wish not to degrade myself by as to let one in on my private conflicts, no matter his... experiance.'

/Oh come off it! You want Kagome, correct? What better way than to extract information from one of her most trusted companions?/

'I see... And what if the monk decides not to disclose this information...'

/Oh, I'm sure he'll be delighted to help. He seems to care a great deal for the woman after all, and would most likely find you to be good for her. And if not... well, you've been known to be persuasive when the need arises.../

Sesshomaru groaned inwardly as he walked to where the groups now stood, readying to depart the encampment and move onward once more. As he had been warring with himself, he picked up bits and pieces of their conversation. It seemed that were returning the villiage nearest Inuyasha's forest. Something about Kagome going to visit her family. Odd, he had not known she had family within the villiage, never having heard talk of them. Interesting enough, he supposed. Not to mention, it would provide ample opportunity to pull the monk asside and have a little... heart-to-heart.

*****

The sky settled itself into a sea of colors in the fading day-light. The sun slowly made it's decent to the earth below, causing it's place of once-holding to emflame with various shades of magentas, fusias, and violets, casting the sky as a magnificent canvass. The evening was setting as one of the first starts began to dot the sky, the not-so-wanning moon slowly fading into view.

The day passed uneventfully enough as the group approached the villiage that once housed the whole Shikon no Tama. Except, that is, when they reached a large clearing that housed a worn down old well, as well as the God Tree.

Kagome turned to her friends, looking upon them all with a bright smile lighting her elegant features, saying goodbyes and making promises of sweet gifts(and also a little ramen) upon her return. Of course, Inuyasha tossed a bit of a fit, as usual, demanding to know why she couldn't just visit her family after they collected the rest of the jewel shards. However, the reply that came was not what was expected, as there was none of the usual biting remarks, snarls, and SIT commands.

"It is not your place nor anyone's to dictate her actions," came a cold, commanding voice of soft steel, and nervewracking calmness. Oh, how it possitively irritated Inuyasha to hear that placid bastard speak.

"Who asked you, ass hole? I don't see that what I do is any of your damned business!" Inuyasha snarled, shaking his fist towards his despised half-brother.

"Fortunately, it is not. However, that does not change the fact that you are an idiot," Sesshomaru's voice remained montonous, his eyes as frozen and impacted as the oldest glaciers.

Kagome stood infront of the well, standing as if she were rooted to that one spot. She was speechless, quieting herself to make sure she was hearing right. Sesshomaru had just defended her? Though, there was nothing to actually defend... Still, he'd actually spoken on her behalf. She smiled slightly as she turned and gracefully lept into the waiting depths of the well, the blue light enveloping her in the journey home... 'Maybe the guy isn't such an asshole after all....'

Sesshomaru had tuned out his brother's shrieks of anger for the moment, watching curiously as Kagome jumped into the well. What could she want with a dried up old well? It obviously carried no water, yet she'd taken that ridiculously large pack with her. And then... suddenly, he couldn't smell her anymore. Sure, her scent still lingered, as it seemed to saturate everything she touched, but otherwise, her present scent was completely gone.

Quickly sidestepping the raving half-breed, he sped the several steps to the well, peering down over it's rim to find... nothing... not even a trace of her. Where had she gone? Was this mysterious well somehow her home? Perhaps there was a secret passage somewhere in the well's belly. No... he doubted that. Her scent would still be within this... world.

Okay, Sesshomaru was now, most definately confused... and worried. Right then, he was determined for answers. He needed to know as much about Kagome as possible. But he could wait. He would wait. Night would fall soon enough, then, he would have all his questions answered, or there would be definate hell to pay...