InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Time has Come ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Time Has Come
Golden Foxfyre

Disclaimer: Here we go again; I don't own Inuyasha.


Chapter 1


A blur of red and silvery-white slid to a halt in front of Izayoi. "Okasan, look what I did!" the boy, previously a blur, cried. He held up an unrolled scroll for his mother's inspection.

Izayoi set down her brush and turned to her three-year-old son. On the scroll he'd carefully written the names of his parents and older half brother. There were some embellishments on the kanji, showing that the names were of people of a higher caste. "That's very good, Inuyasha. All your practice has paid off."

Inuyasha set the scroll next to the window to finish drying. A mischievous glint came to his eyes when he noticed his mother had returned to her painting. He pounced rather suddenly. They went down in a flurry of red, green and gold. Purple eyes opened to gaze into a golden pair.

"Aren't you energetic today?" she mused, rubbing one of his ears. The pup leaned into it, not even realizing that it was his instincts that caused him to enjoy it.

Someone cleared their throat while standing in the doorway. "What have I told you about pouncing on your mother, pup?" Inutaisho queried.

Inuyasha jerked his head up to meet his father's gaze. "That it's your job." he innocently stated.

A faint blush instantly graced his face. "Inuyasha..." he growled in warning. The pup yelped and raced off, wanting to avoid his father's wrath. From her place on the floor, Izayoi chuckled. The sound caught her mate's attention. "What's so funny, Koi?" His growl changed pitch, causing her breath to catch.

"Our son made you blush." she declared, staring at him. The way the sunlight danced across him was mesmerizing her. A glint came to his golden eyes, one that couldn't be mistaken for light reflecting from the sun.

"You know that I could make you blush worse." He pulled her to her feet, lust swimming in his eyes. The taiyoukai drew her closer.

Izayoi freed her arm from his loose grasp. Her gaze turned to the window, and what lay beyond. Lately, her dreams had taken the tone of warning; a tone she couldn't ignore. "There's a shadow on the horizon."

Inutaisho approached her again, wrapping his arms around her in a comforting embrace. "We are together, Izayoi. No evil can separate us." The taiyoukai nuzzled her neck in a canine fashion, taking in her scent. No one else could calm him the way Izayoi could. Even though she was very dangerous to youkai, hers was a pure soul that would never shed blood unless there was no other choice.

'I wish I could be as sure as he is. There's something I can't explain threatening us; all life in this region.' She leaned into his embrace. "Weren't you expecting someone?"

"He canceled at the last minute. I believe it has something to do with his family." Golden eyes followed her gaze into the lush garden. Their son was sneaking up on his older half brother.

~

Inuyasha bit back a giggle, knowing that could give away his position. Tall plants bent under the force of gravity, effectively hiding the pup. His dog-like ears twitched, catching the mutters coming from his brother. He settled back, making sure that the plants barely rustled, then leapt. Forcefully the pup tackled his brother, with a playful growl. They tumbled into the flowers, sending up a spray of petals.

Startled, Sesshomaru growled back, flipping his brother to the moss-covered ground. He started to get up when a weight attached itself to his tail. Another playful growl was coming from Inuyasha. The youkai tried to move away, then stumbled because of his brother's weight holding down his tail.

Sesshomaru's growl changed pitch, becoming less annoyed and more playful. He should've known that his brother could see through the annoyed facade and be persistent enough to get him to play. With that, the young lord turned and pounced, wrestling his younger brother to the ground. Mischief sparkled in an older pair of golden eyes, then a soft growl came from Sesshomaru before he ran off.

His brother was testing his senses again. 'I'll find him.' Inuyasha sniffed the air, catching his brother's scent. Silently, he followed the young lord; covering the ground with a speed he'd only recently developed. After ten minutes, he found his brother near the edge of the wood. He tackled him again, causing them to tumble end over end in the tall meadow grass. "Gottcha!" he giggled.

"You found me faster this time, pup." Affection faintly laced his tone. His talons gently scratched one of his brother's ears, causing him to lean into the caress. 'My brother's senses are equal to those of any youkai.'

Both tensed, catching a scent the elder hadn't smelt in years, whereas the younger had never known it. Sesshomaru stood, placing his brother behind him. Golden eyes narrowed on the elderly human lord and a faint growl commanded the pup to stay behind him. "What do you want, Lord Taru-maru?"

The elderly lord glared. His hand tightened around the hilt of his sword as his dark eyes landed on Inuyasha. "Why protect that abomination? He is an insult to both of our families." Rage plainly showed in the old lord's tone; a rage that had gone unfulfilled for years, ever since his daughter had married into that family, few youkai ever dared to attack and the soldiers wouldn't attack youkai if they weren't provoked.

A deep growl came from the youkai. "This Sesshomaru sees no insult. Do you have a death wish?"

The sound of a blade being drawn was accompanied by sunlight flashing off the polished metal. "That hanyou," he spat, "doesn't deserve to live. Why protect an insult to the blood?"

Suddenly, a rage filled growl came from the trees behind Sesshomaru. Inutaisho stepped into the clearing, flecks of red dancing in the gold of his eyes. His hands were tight with fury and his teeth were bared. "Inuyasha, come here."

The pup raced to his father, then found himself lifted in a pair of powerful arms. His fear and trembling died away as his father's protective scent filled his nose. He knew he was safe from the human lord. His father would never let any harm come to him.