InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Time has Come ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The Time Has Come
Golden Foxfyre

Disclaimer: I'm not Rumiko or the President of Viz, so back off lawyers!


Chapter 4


Months had passed and finally he could no longer ignore the threat. The scent of smoke was on the wind constantly these days. Villagers had been crying out to him for help, as well as to other lords. Inutaisho growled softly as he glared over the horizon. Black smoke billowed from the mountains and hid the sun for much of the morning, which was causing many plants to die.

Izayoi came up behind him on the balcony then wrapped her arms around him. "Be safe, my love. There is much Inuyasha must learn." She placed her head on the back of his shoulder as she continued to hold him. Fear built up in her, a fear that she stubbornly held back from him. He needed encouragement, not indecision.

A fluffy silver-white tail wrapped around her affectionately. "That can't be guaranteed, Izayoi. What have your dreams shown you?" He concentrated on her scent, preferring it to the stench of smoke rising on the wind. Such a stench choked him, whereas her scent seemed to be washing the air clean of all evil.

"Terrible danger. The dragon's power is great. He has few weak points. There is a good chance you could be killed." Tears built up and trembled in violet eyes. 'I don't want to loose him, but this dragon is too strong.' She buried her face in his haori, trying to hide from the inevitable. She knew he could very well die, but that was only a possibility.

His voice broke through her thoughts in a comforting rumble. "What you see doesn't always come to pass. Have faith, koi." Inutaisho turned around in her loose grip, lifted her face and gently cupped her cheek in his clawed hand. She had been unusually emotional lately, and her scent was off. Maybe...that had to be it. All the more reason for him to go. "I will come back to you." The taiyoukai flicked a tiny youkai off his shoulder. "Myoga, do you know anything of Ryokotsuei?"

The flea stuttered for a few minutes. What he knew wasn't all that good. "Not much, my lord. Piercing his heart should kill him, but that isn't a guarantee." He stared at the ground, making an arc with his toes in his unease.

The taiyoukai left, heading into the house, pulling Izayoi along with him. Silently, he entered his napping son's room and walked to his bedside. Inutaisho gazed at his sleeping son, golden eyes thoughtful. 'She's right, he has much to learn. I know my chances for surviving this battle are slim, so I've prepared my tomb. I hope I won't be needing it so soon.' "I must go now." He released Izayoi from his tail then pulled her into his arms. The taiyoukai placed a lingering kiss on her lips before turning to leave. The image of his young son laying on his futon in a silent nap was one of peace; one that he would fight to protect.

Sesshomaru met him in the hall, halting all forward progress. "Tousan, for once I agree with Lady Izayoi. You must be careful." he declared. His golden eyes were trained on his father in concern. There was little that could strike fear or concern in the hearts of the inu youkai, but the risk of loosing a family member was enough to get even the most stoic of them to show emotion.

"I'm always careful when it comes to battle." Inutaisho sighed, running his hand over his face. "Sesshomaru, there's a good chance that I won't come out of this alive. You have to be prepared to take over lordship of the Western Lands." His tone was sure and steady, but inside, he was far from the fearless warrior he displayed. His elder son's reaction showed that he cared, even though he sometimes didn't act it. Izayoi had influenced him.

"Tousan, don't talk like that! You'll rule the Western Lands for a long time to come!" His tone was full of shock and disbelief that his father would have such little faith in himself.

"Ryukotsuei is a powerful opponent. That much I am certain of." The taiyouaki walked out of his home, feeling a nagging suspicion that he'd never walk the halls again. He shook his head to dispel the sensation. This wasn't the time for uncertainty or hesitation. Golden eyes softened as he noticed Izayoi standing on the balcony, gazing at him with tear-softened eyes. He met her gaze in a fond farewell; a good-bye until they were together again.

He shifted to the large dog that was his beast form in front of her, as he had for a while now. With a bark of farewell, he took off running. Inutaisho kept the smoke scent in his face so he would know if he were going in the wrong direction. If it stayed strong, then he was heading for the right place. He thought of what he should do to this dragon, who came from nowhere and disturbed the peace of the lands. Suddenly, a startled yelp escaped him as an ox youkai landed in front of him. He dug his claws into the earth and leaned back to halt his forward motion.

Sunlight filled the meadow, glinting off silver-white fur and reflecting off of the gleaming fur of the ox. Dust settled to the ground, allowing for a clear view of the one who had come with the ox. "Running off into danger again, Lord Inutaisho?" Toto-sai queried. He blinked large eyes at the dog lord as he composed himself enough to transform.

Inutaisho shook his head as he resumed his human shape. "You could say that. Unfortunately, I'm the only one with enough strength to battle this dragon." Again, a compulsion came over him. The taiyoukai drew both swords and scabbards from the band of his hamaka and handed them to the sword smith. "If the worst should happen, give Tetsusaiga to my younger son and Tenseiga to the other."

Toto-sai held both blades, shocked. 'What's going through his mind? He'll beat that dragon for sure.' Silently, he nodded and watched the transformation again. How could the dragon beat him? He was the greatest warrior of his time; not even the panther tribe had been able to defeat him. Surly nothing was that strong.

The taiyoukai sneezed as the scent of soot dramatically increased then he began running for the mountains again. 'I wish I had his confidence. This time, my enemy may over power me.' Villages blurred passed him as he continued to run, his passage causing dust to swirl on the wind. These villages had once been thriving farming communities.

Now all was barren and wasted; the huts were blackened in places from the fires ignited by the dragon. What little life remained was hardy and cunning. The earth beneath his thudding paws carried the faint hope of life renewed. All their hopes and dreams rested on him. 'What was it that Izayoi said? It was so long ago... Ah, yes. I wish that all would be well, but wishes cannot come true unless acted upon. My dream was for love, and I found that with you. Whatever comes of it I will gladly accept, for my life without you wouldn't have been one.' As those words echoed in his mind, he knew that even if he died, he would take the dragon down.

Inutaisho continued his frantic race into the mountains, managing to keep himself from sneezing. Fire, soot, and ash increased dramatically as he ran along. Hardy mountain plants were sorched, burnt to a crisp or even ashes. Baked rock was ready to shatter at the least provision. Such was a disaster; one that would destroy the lives of many if it was allowed to go unpunished.