InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Transformations ❯ Gold Pack ( Chapter 36 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

She hesitated for one moment, eyes scanning the area and taking in what was where. She spotted the biggest hut, obviously the home of their leader. Next to her, Sesshomaru hesitated as well, but more out of something like dread. He's been here before, she realized. And he didn't like his encounter. This should be something.

She began walking and for the first time, Sesshomaru wasn't directly at her side.

She almost laughed.

Thirty Six

Kagome frowned at the treatment she was getting. The moment she was within scent of this pack, they surrounded her and Sesshomaru - mostly her. They seemed afraid of Sesshomaru, which wasn't surprising. But it was more like they were told not to bother him, rather than fear his powerful scent or reputation. And then something new happened.

A woman, younger than Kagome and smelling like a princess herself, shoved her way through the crowd. She never laid eyes upon Kagome, just looked straight at Sesshomaru. Her hair and tail was golden, and her tail was short - shorter than her knees. Her eyes were the color of warm honey, and she adorned a blue diamond on her forehead.

Her clothes were all tan, like deerskin. And they were more like what you'd see on a Native American man than a Japanese woman - pants laced up the sides and cut off halfway down her calves, a top laced up the back without sleeves and covered her stomach minus one thin band of skin. She had gloves as well, like Sango's but again in deerskin. Her hair flowed down her back and curved inward at her waist.

She stood there for perhaps ten seconds, and then bounded up to Sesshomaru in a burst of energy that Kagome thought would never drain out. She threw her arms around Sesshomaru's neck and rubbed her cheek against his, chanting about how happy she was that he was back and just saying his name repeatedly.

Looking at him, Kagome could see he was trying desperately to keep his cold demeanor, and failing. She could see annoyance and panic in his eyes, hidden well but there. People were backing away, apparently frightened of his reaction.

She smirked when he looked her way, his eyes as close to begging as he'd ever allow himself for her to help. She just about laughed, but held it off. Instead, she tapped the girl on the shoulder and introduced herself.

"My name is Kagome, Mistress of the Blue Wolf Pack. I need to speak with your lord or lady."

Her eyes wide, the girl looked at her as though wondering when she showed up. As she was staring, Sesshomaru took the opportunity to push the girl off him. "It is an urgent matter," he told her.

Instantly the girl was back in action, talking fast as she led them to the largest hut. "Right then, come with me. My name's Yaeko, and my parents rule this pack. I like Sesshomaru - do you? Isn't he just cute?"

"I doubt I'd use 'cute'," Kagome replied, then glanced at Sesshomaru. "Although, from a certain angle. . ."

Sesshomaru's eyes slid towards her, and those eyes said Don't even.

She grinned. "Maybe as a kid," she admitted, "but I don't think 'cute' describes him anymore."

"Really? Cause I think he's really cute. Can you imagine his pups? Those eyes and that silky hair. . ." She sighed, hands clutched at her chest even though she hadn't stopped walking. "Mama!" she called, going into the hut. She poked her head back out. "Stay here for now; I'll be right back." This last meant for Sesshomaru, and for the first time Kagome heard him groan in apprehension.

"I take it you don't like her much?" Kagome asked sweetly. This whole scene amused her to no end.

"She's nice enough, however the way she behaves I cannot tolerate."

"So what's the deal?" When Sesshomaru looked at her in question, she went on. "Why does she hang on you like that?"

He looked reluctant to tell, but gave her the shortest summary she'd ever heard. "When she was a child she was attacked by a demon I was hunting. When I killed it she thought I'd done it for her, and never got over it."

"Ahh," Kagome said, her chin lifting as she understood. "This is a romantic thing in her eyes."

He looked at her sharply, about to ask what that meant, but Yaeko was back already. She announced herself with a loud "C'mon in!"

Kagome and Sesshomaru winced at the piercing sound, Sesshomaru lifting a hand to his ear. Yaeko through her hands up to her mouth in shock and was apologizing instantly. She continued as they entered the hut and were introduced to her parents, Sato and Myone. [DL: Mee-oh-nay.]

Kagome introduced herself as well, and began speaking about her current situation. She left out most details, saying only that her uncle was coerced into staging a civil war and that her pack was nearly depleted, and then about knowing who did it and having her friends abducted.

Sato, the father, sat for a long moment and thought. He was dressed as any noble man would be, in robes that covered his tail. His hair was short, just a little long for most, and the same golden color as everyone in this pack. Then he appeared to have come to a decision.

"These friends you are searching for, Kagome-sama, your companion knows where they are?"

Kagome glanced at Sesshomaru who shook his head. "Not entirely," he said. "I merely know that they are within this area. I do not know the specific place."

"Then," Kagome said as she thought it out, her eyebrows drawing together, "they could be flying for all you know?"

He nodded.

Kagome was angry instantly and stood up, towering over Sesshomaru purposely. "You could've brought me here on a death mission for no reason?! We could be here on a wild goose chase for all you know?!"

His eyes narrowed in response and he stood. "Do not insult my intelligence -"

"I can do whatever the fuck I please!" she snapped. She spun on her heel and started out of the pack's area, intent on finding her friends with or without direct help.

She heard him growl from behind her, and then he was at her heels. "You stop this instant, wench! I will not tolerate your disrespect -"

"Bite me!" she snapped without thinking, and continued her trek.

Yaeko jumped in front of her, arms crossed and tears in her eyes. "I don't think you're right in this," she said, for once talking at a paced speed. "You can't possibly find your friends on your own and Sesshomaru was only trying to help you! You owe him an apology! Now say you're sorry! Now!"

"You've got some nerve," Kagome growled out. "You're just a kid, and you're trying to tell me, a Mistress, what to do and say? Do you have any idea what you're getting yourself into?"

"That doesn't matter, you dirty half-breed!" Yaeko returned.

Kagome's eyes widened in her surprise and narrowed again with fury. "You best learn to watch your tongue," she hissed out. Stepping to the side, she went right past Yeako. "And learn to pick your fights better," she added over her shoulder. Her speed was increasing as she walked on, and by the time she left the valley she was running at full speed.

Tears with falling openly from her eyes now. She was nowhere closer to finding her friends, he'd left Inuyasha without leaving anything to tell him where she went, she angered Sesshomaru and the entire golden pack, and now she was in a blaze of fury, trying desperately to run it off. She had no idea how fast she was going; she lost track of all the blurs that she passed by.

It was dusk by the time she stumbled to a stop, exhausted, Her tears finally ran dry, but there was still tracks of the last on her cheeks. She dropped to her knees and again to her hands. After another moment she collapsed completely, and rolled onto her left side, facing a nearby tree. Her shoulders still shook with her sobs, and she could feel the scar on her neck tingle.

At the moment, with her emotions so open, she could feel Inuyasha's. He was confused and scared, and angry at being so helpless in finding her - after all, she did fly to the east lands. But just now she wasn't quite sure where she was.

She wanted Inuyasha. She wanted the comfort of his arms, and how patient he could be with her when she needed it. She missed his golden eyes, soft only when looking at her. She missed the smile he gave only to her. She missed, most of all, how he said her name.

"Kagome. . ."

Her head snapped up, believing for a fleeting moment that Inuyasha had found her, and that he was going to carry her away and make all her fears disappear. But it wasn't Inuyasha's scent that touched her nose. It was a much darker, more dismal scent. It was the first time she'd smelled this scent, but already she knew what it was and knew - more than that - that she'd never forget it. Even if she tried, she'd never forget it.

Eyes narrowed, she stood, her head lifting slowly and landing directly on the white figure crouched twenty feet away.

She wasted no time getting to the point. "Where are they?"

"Who?" the voice returned. She growled. "Your friends? The woman and man, and the tiny cat demon?" A laugh. "I refuse to tell you until you answer a few questions."

"I'm not playing your game," she warned him. "I'm not one of your pawns you can order around."

"No," the voice agreed. "No, of course you're not." It stood, shedding the white baboon cloak and face mask. It was Naraku himself this time. "No, you're so much smarter than that, aren't you? And far too powerful to be maneuvered by my schemes."

"Don't forget that," she told him. "You'll regret it."

He chuckled. "I have no doubt that I would. But just now, I have a business proposition for you. An exchange, you could say."

She went still. Did Naraku want to trade her life for her friends'? She had no doubt she would give her life to him for her friends' if that's what he wanted, but he was going on.

"Answer a few of my questions, and your friends will be free to leave, unharmed. I would even go so far as to deliver them unharmed - more or less - into your awaiting arms. Agreed?"

Her breath caught. What kind of questions did he wasn't to ask? Nothing good, she thought, judging by that look in his eyes. "Agreed," she said after some thought. Whatever he asked, she could handle it.

"Good." He stepped closer to her, and the nearer he got to her, the more she felt as though she had just given her soul to the devil. He stopped a foot short from her. "The first question, is why."

"Why?" she repeated, an eyebrow raising.

"Yes, why. Why is it I can feel your presence here only so long, and then you are gone? How do you mask yourself; where do you go?"

Her eyes narrowed. "That's more than one question. Pick one."

He paused, and then chuckled again. "How do you mask yourself from me?"

Her mind crowed, but she kept it from her eyes. "I don't."

"Where do you go, then, to hide yourself?"

"I don't hide," she replied evenly. She was angering him, she knew, but she was playing by his rules.

After a moment he smirked. "Your friends refused to answer that one. I had a lot of fun cutting their flesh open. . ."

Anger flashed in her eyes, and her lips drew back in a snarl. "You -" her voice cut off, not knowing what else she could say. Every swear she'd ever known was sugar and crème compared to what he was. "I'm going to kill you, Naraku. With these claws -" she lifted her hand - "I'm going to rip you apart, piece by piece, and I'm going to enjoy every second of it."

He was smirking now. "I'm sure you'd like to," he said, starting to circle her. "You are quite the predator, especially when you look like that. Your eyes narrowed and fingers hooked; yes, you're a predator. Perhaps the most frightening I've seen, but nonetheless, you do not hold the power here. I hold the key - I have what you want, something you could -"

"NO!" she snapped. "My friends are not 'things', you fucking heartless bastard!! You're digging your own grave, and you don't even realize you're holding the shovel!" She laughed then. "You're little more than a joke!! A human who grew too lustful for his own good and gave his body so he could kill the woman he lusted for!! Do you -"

"Shut it!!" he snapped back at her. It was the first outburst he ever had, but he was going on. "Onigumo did not lust for the miko Kikyo - he loved her! It weakened his heart, and I did what was necessary to help him regain his strength!! With some fun on the side, of course. . ." This last was a calm statement, even with savage enjoyment. He meant making Inuyasha and Kikyo die hating each other.

"Fun my ass!" She enjoyed the confused look on his face at the new phrase. "You are not a half demon, fucking asshole! You were never human!! You are a rogue demon let loose from Hell!! Only the devil himself could ever enjoy screwing with people! Cursing them, killing them, slaughtering their families!!" She seethed, trying to catch her breath. More tears were brimming in her eyes, but she swept on, heedless.

"You will never be loved!! You can never be loved!! The entire world hates you, and I swear by the lives of my pack that I will kill you!! I'll send you back to hell for a thousand eternities of pain!!!" With further meaning she slapped him, as hard as she could. Her nails left bloody shreds of his cheek, and after she did it, she realized she could've just sealed the fates of her friends. Her anger wasn't lessened in the slightest by the fact; the fear just joined her anger, making her feel very much like a hurricane - unreigned power sweeping along, destroying everything it touched without reason or care.

When Naraku looked at her again, she could swear she saw the pits of hell in his eyes. He shoved her back, his hand clenching her throat as he slammed her into a tree, her feet dangling a foot above the ground.

She heard a crack that was undoubtedly her skull against the tree, and the impact caused blood out of her mouth. She clenched her jaw shut, and suddenly realized that she wasn't healing. Her blood still flowed from the corners of her mouth, not being pulled back into her body as it normally would have. She was in trouble.

"You stupid bitch, I could always rip the information I need right out of you! It would be such a waste from such a powerful and beautiful hanyou as you, but should you ever fight me again, I will." For a moment his face was blazing anger, lips drawn back and eyes narrowed to the point where anyone else might not have been able to see. And then he crushed his mouth against hers.

She fought back as hard as she knew, and then she knew what he was doing. She felt his tongue on her chin, licking up the blood that rebelled her body. And then he threw her to the side, uncaring. She hit the ground and rolled, and used the momentum to prop herself on one knee and point her arrow at Naraku.

He stilled, his hand on his chin to wipe off the excess blood. His eyes, still narrowed, regarded her arrow. He must still remember Kagome's arrow, and by now he would've deducted that in her hanyou form her arrows were that much more dangerous.

Neither of them moved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------

AH, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU HATE ME!! YOU HATE ME!! YOU HATE ME SO MUCH FOR ENDING IT HERE!!!!!

*Continues laughter*

~*~ Five minutes later~*~

*Receiving CPR for suffocation*

See ya. . .