InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Uncontrollable ❯ Awakening ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Miroku grunted with the effort it took to push open the door. It was made of stone and plated in gold, making it shimmer with every movement. In the room, a single candle was lit beside the bed and Miroku could make out the vague silhouette of her figure. He thought again, as he had many times over the last few months, how he should not be here. The dangers, the risks... If they were to be caught...

But he was far too involved to care much now.

Carefully slipping his armor and medallions over his head, Miroku set them down on the marble table beside the bed. He was close now and could make out the curves of her body; the way her hair fell past her shoulders in a black wave. Miroku pushed the sheer canopy aside and she turned, her hair shining in the light of the candle.

Sango smiled.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--------------------------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Miroku groaned and squinted his eyes. Rather then the soft glow of a candle, Miroku was greeted by the electric glow of his laptop a few feet away on the cofee table. Blinking his eyes, Miroku looked up at the warm face of his assistant.

"I had a dream about you," he muttered, slipping on his glasses. As he did so, her eyes went upwards and Sango let out an exasperated sigh.

"I suppose you're going to tell me I was finally wearing that lingerie you got me for Christmas last year."

Miroku sat up on the couch, his dream forgotten.

"You haven't worn it yet?! But darling, I spent hours picking it out. It was perfect for you!"

"And whichever store employee you persuaded to try it on for you."

Miroku took a moment to think back on that day. Sango shook her head in annoyance.

"All right," he admitted, "but it would look better on you. I swear! I was thinking of you the entire time." Sango took the packet of papers she'd been holding and used them to smack Miroku over the head.

"You need to look at those," she commented, walking away into the kitchen. "And I hope you're packed." Miroku smiled as he noticed heavenly aroma of coffee filling the air. Sango came out a few moments later, carrying a mug and a chocolate-chip scone. Miroku took them with a word of thanks, turning on the charm.

"Sango dear, wherever would I be without you?"

"Probably working at McDonalds." She smiled, "Or living as an amputee." Sango pinched the skin on Miroku's wandering hand and twisted. He whimpered, withdrawing it from her derriere. "You are packed, right?" she asked again, "It takes a few hours to get to the airport."

"Of course I'm packed. I could hardly sleep a wink, knowing I would be spending months alone with the most beautiful woman I know."

"I could hardly sleep either, though I doubt it was for the same reason..."

"Ma belle..."

"Stop that," Sango warned, knowing exactly what he was up to.

"Ma belle, ma cherie, ma petite cheri..."

"Houshi..."

"Marrie-moi!"

Miroku flinched as a large textbook connected with his face.

"Go get your stuff," Sango commanded, pointing at the stairs.

"Can't wait to be with me?"

"Go."

"Did I tell you I had a dream about you?"

"Now."

"We were lovers."

Sango threw another book as Miroku laughed, dodged, and ran up the steps. When he reached the top, he ventured to look back down over the railing. She was turned away, her hair falling down past her shoulders as she flipped through a book on the table. Sensing his eyes on her, she turned, and looked up.

Sango smiled.

--------------------------------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--------------------------------------------

Sango chewed restlessly on the cap of her pen, tapping it, now and then, on the top of her briefcase. Sango was not afraid. Sango wasn't one to fear anything. She simply did not like planes. With all the ruckus next to him, Miroku finally looked up from his reading.

"Sango?"

Sango paused in her pen-chewing to look at him.

"I think it's dead."

Sango took the pen out of her mouth and looked at the mutilated cap. With as much dignity as she could muster, she calmly opened her briefcase to put it back inside. "Have you finished yet?"

"Almost," Miroku sighed, flipping through the papers. They had a bit of background on the excavation site, their lodging information and the names of their workers. "A few more volunteers contacted me over e-mail. Do you want to see their info?"

"No." Sango bounced her leg as their plane finished refueling, and the call for passengers went out. "I'm sure whoever you picked will be fine." She nearly jumped out of her seat as Miroku's hand landed on her knee. She glared at him, expecting to see his perverted grin, her hand ready for a slap. But instead he looked at her with concern. Sango sighed and looked out the window, casually standing so his hand lost contact.

Watching the plane's other passengers line up to exit the terminal, Sango felt a jump in her stomach.

"What's the matter, Sango?" Miroku asked, coming to stand beside her. "You look sick. Want me to take your temperature?"

Sango glared at him, handing the steward her ticket and ID. "I'm going to be stuck on a plane with you for 18 hours. Who wouldn't get ill?"

Ignoring the obvious insult, Miroku grinned, taking a lock of her hair in his hand and looked at her lovingly. "I'll hold your hair for you if you have to vomit."

Sango made a face and walked briskly onto the plan, her hair slipping through his fingers. "How touching."

----------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

----------------------

18 hours, 16 slaps and one vomit later, Miroku stepped out into the bright light of day. He took a deep breath.

"Ahh... can't you just smell adventure in the air?" Miroku asked. Sango sure smelt something... but it wasn't adventure. Looking around for the source of the stench, Sango felt a tug on her hair.

"Miroku, would you stop playing with my hair?"

"What did you say?" He asked from his place three feet ahead of her. Hesitantly, Sango reached behind her, feeling slime and saliva meet her fingers. Turning around, she spotted what the problem was.

"I think he likes you..." Miroku commented, gently pulling the fuming Sango away by her shoulders. The camel spit after her.

---------------------

- - - - - - - - - - - -

---------------------

Muttering a few choice obscenities, Sango stuck her head under the faucet, rinsing away the slime. Sango came out of the restroom, wringing water from her hair. Miroku saw her and placed a hand over his heart, giving Sango a hurt _expression.

"Why is it that you let some stranger, not even a human, play with your hair? Yet whenever I get near you, all I get is a slap? Sango, I'm starting to think you don't love me anymore..."

Sango rolled her eyes and flipped her hair, sending water all over Miroku's front.

"Aww, Sango," he pouted, taking off his glasses. "I just cleaned these."

"It's not as if you wear them much anyway," Sango argued, snatching the hat from his head. Miroku sighed in defeat. Oh well, there was always the consolation prize.

Sango began to beat the archeologist with his hat vehemently when a dark shadow fell over them.

"Would you be Miroku Houshi?"

Miroku blinked and looked up at the newcomer. "Perhaps."

"Sesshomaru Muhyoujou. I will be your lead anthropologist. This," he added, stepping aside so the girl behind him was visible, "is Rin Thompson. She will be one of your volunteers."

"Well... Hello," Miroku greeted, giving the girl a charming smile. Sango wasn't surprised to find her completely smitten with him. Miroku just seemed to have that effect on women.

`But not me' Sango reminded herself, watching him attempt to make conversation with the taller man. It apparently wasn't working very well, because he turned as soon as another woman began to approach. She had her dark hair tied up into a loose bun and she ignored Sango and Miroku as she approached.

"Kagura," Sesshomaru said shortly, giving her a once over before turning away, a bored _expression on his features. Kagura rolled her eyes and tugged his hair, which was long and pulled back into a ponytail. Glaring, he turned back around.

"I believe that was unnecessary."

Sango looked on, amused, as Kagura fumed at him.

"Is that how you greet an old acquaintance? `Kagura'? You say my name as though it's a disease."

"Now that you mention it, I do feel a bit ill... Rin."

Rin jumped and dropped the scorpion she'd been dangling in front of her. It ran in a circle a few times before scuttling away.

Finally turning to the other two, Kagura held out her hand. "Kagura Amnell. I believe we've met once before."

"Yes," Miroku agreed, shaking her hand, "It's a pleasure to see you again. You'll be our surveyor, yes?" Kagura nodded before giving Sango, who was standing behind them, a curious look. "May I introduce my lovely assistant and restorer, Miss Sango Evans?"

Kagura simply stared and stated the obvious. "You're wet."

Sango clicked her tongue in annoyance and Kagura turned from her, a smirk on her lips.

"Will you be traveling to the site with us?" Sango asked, for the sake of politeness. Sesshomaru shook his head.

"I have previous engagements."

"As do I," Kagura added, wrapping her arm around Sesshomaru's. He rolled his eyes and began to discreetly tug his elbow away. Kagura held fast though, forcing a smile.

"Ta ta!" She waved, pulling Sesshomaru away. Rin gave a small curtsy before following in suit. Sango watched after them, and shook her head.

"What a strange group..."

"I think they're lovely."

Sango gave Miroku a look before slapping his arm, grabbing her bags and storming away. Rubbing his abused limb, Miroku watched her go.

"What did I do?"