InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting For Kagome ❯ Cruel Fate ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Disclaimer: This is based on 'Inuyasha', owned by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Cruel Fate

She had not seen him sleeping, since Kagome had freed him. Those few times he had stayed the night in her hut, his eyes had been open and wary when she went to sleep. They had been open and wary when she awoke.

But, now, he slept. She stood at the divider--well after sunrise--and sighed. His uppermost ear flicked towards her. He shifted his position slightly, hands holding Tessaiga close, as a small whimper escaped his throat, but he did not awaken.

 
 
Her heart ached for him. By what cruel joke, had he been fated to fall in love with two women--who bore the same soul--only to apparently lose them both? It had been so confusing for him the year past, especially after Kikyo's resurrection. Sad as it was to experience her sister's death a second time, in many ways, she had been relieved and grateful, not only for Kikyo herself, but for the resolution it had brought to the boy's situation. She knew that both he and Kagome had been deeply affected by Kikyo's death, but she had seen signs that they were not only recovering, but moving closer to each other.

 
And now, Kagome was gone. Or so she assumed, from the exhausted, glassy-eyed apparition that had stumbled into her hut under Miroku's guidance. Safe, apparently, but--gone; the well--in Miroku's opinion--no longer working.

 
Her poor boy. Had only she something to offer him, besides food, shelter, and a listening ear.