InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waiting For Kagome ❯ Nothing to Prove ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This is based on "Inuyasha" by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Nothing to Prove

Breathing deeply, Inuyasha dropped to a seated position on the cliff with a sigh. When he'd offered to help Miroku build a house, he hadn't figured it would require sitting in on a long bargaining session between Miroku and the village elders on location of said house, and supplies to build it. Fortunately, Miroku had noticed his fidgeting and had mercifully managed a politic suggestion that Inuyasha go check the area around the village's for any sign of youkai. The long run, concentrating on his physical senses to the exclusion of all else, had been just what he needed.

A pity he hadn't found a strong youkai to test his blade on ... or maybe not. How many youkai out there could stand up to his blade's attacks? And if they weren't directly threatening the village, what was the point? He didn't mind killing youkai, and yet ... There'd been so many dead, the year past. Between himself, his friends, Naraku: most of them mindless bundles of lust and murder. But not all. Not nearly all.

Besides, Kagome wouldn't like it, if he went around killing even youkai for no good reason.

Kagome.

Grief seared without warning, and his eyes burned as his throat tightened. She was safe, he had saved her, he was glad she was safe, but, oh, he missed her! How could he take joy in leaping through the trees without her knees locked around his waist, or the ever-present threat that she would tousle his hair or tickle his ears in mid leap? He wanted her, he needed her, and she was gone!

Tears spilled. Inuyasha wrapped his arms around his legs and lowered his head to his knees as his shoulders shook. He hadn't even gotten to say goodbye, as the well jerked him back to the past. No farewell, no last words, just the abrupt banishment to his own time--without her. It hurt. It hurt--

"So losing the miko makes you weak, little brother?"

His head snapped up at that familiar cool, indifferent voice. A crackle of rage burned along his nerves, along with the familiar impulse to leap up, snarling and crouching defensively for the attack he knew would come.

Except things had changed.

Swallowing his habitual flare of anger along with his sobs, Inuyasha stood up and turned around. Shoving his arms into his sleeves, ignoring the tears streaking his face; he met his brother's cold gaze. "No."

Sesshomaru blinked. "You do not hide your tears," he observed after a pause.

"No."

Silence. Inuyasha met his brother's gaze calmly, knowing that he had nothing to prove. After this past year, they were neither one of them boys any longer. Sesshomaru had surpassed their father. As for himself--

He was who he was, desiring to be nothing but what he was.

Hanyo.

Something--perhaps--flickered behind his brother's impassive mask. A hand slipped down to touch Baikusaiga's hilt. Inuyasha did not react. The hand drifted away.

"Do not let your blade rust in its sheath, Inuyasha."

Inuyasha quirked a one-sided smile. "I'm sure you will make sure I do not, Sesshomaru."

There might have been the briefest hint of a nod. "Indeed."

And with that, the taiyoukai vanished, using his speed to disappear from Inuyasha's vision. Inuyasha did not stir, though his lips twitched again as his youkai senses felt Sesshomaru's approach to the village. With Rin living with Kaede, it seemed likely that he would be seeing his brother with some frequency. And their blades would undoubtedly cross. But, testing themselves against each other would come without anger, without jealousy, without hateful words and scorn. And that, would be good.


Author's Note: This was originally posted to the Inuyasha FanFic Contest community (iyfic_contest) on LiveJournal, on June 9th, 2009. It won the contest. (Very slightly edited since original publication.)