InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Waking Powers ❯ Handprints ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

- Chapter 2. -

Handprints

~*~*~

Inuyasha watched as Kagome jumped into the well. She won't come back, I just know it. I wish I could think before I talk just once…At least when I'm with her. That's usually when my brain stops functioning. Sighing, he was about to run back to the village when something about the well caught his eye.

As he walked closer he could clearly make out the black handprints that were burned into the surface of the wood. What the? He leaned in closer and inspected them. The smell of miko powers struck his nose and he backed away. Strong miko power, and it was… upset? He didn't understand what his nose was telling him. Again he leaned in.

It didn't smell of burned wood. Only of the power… and it smelled… Kagome?

Walking slowly trough the forest, Inuyasha thought about what he had seen and smelled. It confused him, but he was sure that Kagome had burned those handprints into the wood. And she had done it after he left her, because the prints hadn't been there earlier.

She must really hate me now since her miko powers reacted to it. She's never used her powers to anything else than purification. It's my fault. I shouldn't have yelled at her. He was about to go back to the well and travel through it, but then he remembered that she had left him and the worry he had was replaced by anger. "Keh! Who needs that stupid bitch anyway!" He said to himself as he sped up and jumped towards the God Tree.

~*~

Kagome climbed out of the well and walked out of the well-house while she looked at her hands.

Had it been her imagination? Had she really seen what she thought she'd seen. Turning her hands, she looked at her palms. They seemed normal, and she didn't see any trace of the sparks anymore. I'm going crazy. She scolded herself.

Shaking her head, she made her way to the shrine and walked inside. "Mom! I'm home!" Her mother peeked her head out of the kitchen and smiled when she saw her daughter walk in. "Kagome, how are you. It's good to have you back again." She hugged her and pushed her into the kitchen. "You must be hungry. I'll make you something to eat." Kagome smiled and sat down at the table. "Thanks mom."

While she searched in the refrigerator, her mother continued to talk. "So are you going to stay home for a while now Kagome?" Kagome shook her head, but she realised that her mother wouldn't see it so she answered quietly. "No… I can't. I promised Sango that I would be back tomorrow."

Sensing with that special antenna that all mothers have that something was wrong, her mother stopped her search in the refrigerator and turned to her daughter. "Kagome, is something wrong?"

Kagome could feel warm tears pricking in her eyes and she nodded slowly. "It's not a big deal, really. It's just Inuyasha. He's being such a jerk again." "Oh." Walking over to her distressed daughter she tucked her arms around her and hugged her tightly. "You know you shouldn't listen to what he says. I've got the impression that that boy talks before he thinks." Kagome sniffed while she smiled. "Yeah, I know. It's just that I care about him, and from him… it just hurts." Her mother nodded understandingly. "Talk to him when you go back. Tell him how you feel. I don't think he means to hurt you." Kagome sniffed again. Yes he does… he hates me.

Kagome shut the door to her room and looked around. Everything was in the same place as the last time she was here. Her mother had made her something to eat and she felt much better than before. She decided that she should get some homework done so she went over to her desk and pulled out her math book. At least I'll be distracted. She thought as she opened the book and tried to understand another impossible task.

~*~

Shippo looked around at the glum faces in the room. Sango had Kirara on her lap and was scratching the cat youkai while she stared out in space. Miroku was busy looking at his right hand where the kazaana had been just two days ago. Now the hand was whole again and he didn't have to fear being sucked to his death. Kaede was stirring a pot with some soup and was obviously also lost in thought. The only ones of the group that were missing were Kagome and Inuyasha.

Sighing, Shippo couldn't take the silence anymore so he walked out of the door and went to look for some kids to play with. He wished Kagome would come back soon. No one acted normal when she wasn't around. Least of all Inuyasha. Speaking of…

Shippo raised his nose into the air and sniffed. He could swear that he'd caught the fresh scent of the grumpy hanyou. Following the scent he quickly found himself in front of the huge God Tree.

"Oi! Inuyasha. You up there?" Shippo searched the tree for the familiar red and silver. "Inuyasha. I know you're there. I can see you."

"Liar." Shippo nearly jumped out of his own fur because of the voice behind him. He turned slowly. "Uh… Kagome was looking for you earlier today. She was worried about you." The hanyou didn't move. "Keh! I know that. We talked before she went through the well." The kitsune was at a loss of words. "Oh… well. Why didn't you come back to the village then?" From the angry twitch on Inuyasha's face, Shippo regretted asking.

"That's non of your damn business!" The fist connecting with Shippo's head quickly made a lump appear. Well, now that he'd already been hit, he could as well continue. "You yelled at her again didn't you." It wasn't really a question. "Keh!" The hanyou answered.

"You're such an asshole Inuyasha." Before was hit by an enraged hanyou, Shippo ran back to the village. Why does he always hurt Kagome that insensitive jerk!

~*~

Following the running kit with his eyes, Inuyasha sat down and leaned against the base of the tree. So, Kagome had been worrying about him. Well, it certainly didn't seem that way when he'd talked to her. She was such an idiot sometimes. Like this morning when she had ventured into the forest all by herself. Why'd she do that anyway he wondered. She could've been killed. His blood boiled at the thought. Well, he would never let that happen. He'd been sitting in a tree worrying about her leaving when she'd come walking into the forest. He had followed her at a distance, watching. Guarding. When he'd stepped on that twig, he had been sure that she'd seen him. But she'd just turned away and walked back to the camp. Keh! What a stupid bitch.

As he sat there thinking about Kagome, he slowly drifted into sleep. He hadn't slept anything the night before… In fact, he hadn't slept since they defeated Naraku.

~~*Dream*~~

The sky was dark overhead and thunder was rolling in the distance. Inuyasha cocked his head and sniffed the air. He could smell two people he knew. One of them smelled fresh and clean, like a waterfall in the summer, mixed with the scent of flowers. The other smelled of fresh soil, and… death.

His heartbeat picked up speed as he franticly looked around, searching for the two persons. On his right he could see one of them. On his left he could see the other.

The one on the right waited longingly, silent.

The one on the left raised a bow and nocked an arrow. Angry miko power cackled around her limbs.

He vaguely remembered a promise and his heart stung.

Betrayal.

Death.

Hell.

The promise still held, he was sure of it. No doubt in his soul.

It was important for him that the promise would be held. He didn't care if he died. He'd help her. He could see she was in pain. A pain that he was the cause of.

He walked to the left person.

The arrow shook a short moment and then it was free. He expected the pain. Waited for it. Welcomed it…

~~*End Dream*~~

Inuyasha shot up from the ground. His heart was hammering in his chest. A sense of fear, pain and sorrow was in his soul. He'd had a dream. Shaking his head he tried to remember. Somehow he knew it was important. The dream had been about a choice. A choice? The thought disappeared, forgotten.

With a sigh he slumped back down, somehow he knew he wouldn't sleep more tonight. He had to remember… he just had to.

~*~*~

A/N: Hehehe… well that was fun ^^;

Thanks for the review(s). It inspired me to continue the story. I'm sorry about the short chapters, but I'm trying to get into the story. Maybe the chapters will grow in time…

And what's with that dream??? Lol time will tell ;o) *runs away from angry readers*