InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ We Are Broken ❯ We are Broken ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
do not own the characters of Inuyasha nor do I own the song “We are broken” featured there in.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

I am outside,And I've been waiting for the sun.With my wide eyes,I've seen worlds that don't belong.
He sat outside her window. It was the third time that week he had sat waiting for her to open the window. Her mother would occasionally shoo him away but even she knew her warnings were falling on deaf ears. She had begun setting out bowls of food for him but he would return them only half eaten. If nothing else, that was the ultimate sign of a breaking heart.
My mouth is dry,With words I cannot verbalize.Tell me why,We live like this.

Kagome sat up for the hundredth time from a nightmare she couldn’t remember. The terrors had been going on for days and only her mother was there to dab cool water on her face. Souta and Jii-chan stayed far away, not wishing to bring upon more unpleasant thoughts. The room was dark this time. She searched the desk blindly for something to drink. She knew her mother always left a cool glass of water there for her if she couldn’t be there herself. She took a long drink but it did nothing to calm her. The heat surrounding her in these waking dreams was insufferable.Keep me safe inside,Your arms like towers.Tower over me, yeah.
The sounds of her screams were enough to make him break the glass but for naught. It would only cause her more pain. He knew what she was seeing when she screamed. The horror she relived each and every time she closed her eyes. He knew because he could see the same thing.
'Cause we are broken.What must we do to restore,Our innocence,And all the promise we adored?Give us life again,Cause we just wanna be whole.

All around them was the sound of screaming. He could see her in the middle of the clearing, her voice amplified to a deafening note. Then, as it had began, it ended. She was silent. Red was all that followed. He found himself wavering in boughts of consciousness in which he could see bits and pieces of her torment. This ordeal went on for weeks but to him, it only came in minute intervals. He could see her in pain, another tactic of humiliation being used to break her now weakened spirit. Finally, she broke. The light in her eyes trickled away before him and there was nothing he could do.Lock the doors,'Cause I'd like to capture this voice.It came to me tonight,So everyone will have a choice.

Even the memory was nearly too much. He went back to his dutiful watch over her. When her mother didn’t return to the room after sometime, Inuyasha began to fear the worst. Maybe it had broken Mrs. Higurashi too. He waited another hour until Kagome’s screams became too much to bear. He slipped inside the cracked window and sat watching her from the sill a moment longer.And under red lights,I'll show myself it wasn't forged.We're at war,We live like this...

The screams had not abated in the least. In fact, they had grown in intensity. He knew she could feel his presence, someone’s presence. She reached out blindly, tumbling onto the floor in a fresh round of screams. It broke his heart to see her like this. If he closed his eyes, he could see the war waging in her mind. All the horrible images she suffered through. The most painful of these, an image of her lying on the cold floor, stripped of her clothing and dignity. She focused her doll like eyes on him but all he could do was watch. It was not him, she had to know that. He prayed she knew he would never do what happened next. He could only watch her stare with pained indifference as he took the only the thing she had left. It was only a horrible hallucination but it was oh so real to them. Too real.Keep me safe inside,Your arms like towers.Tower over me.

He kneeled beside the bed at her feet and watched her screaming slow. Her voice was cracked and raw. No sound would escape her lips now. He took the glass of water and held it to her lips carefully. She drank calmly, eyes staring at a point on the ceiling. Inuyasha simply hoisted her into his lap and continued to make her drink. After the glass was empty, he returned it to the desk and her prone form, he returned to the bed.
'Cause we are broken.What must we do to restore,Our innocence,And all the promise we adored?Give us life again,'Cause we just wanna be whole.

He kissed her forehead lovingly, knowing she could not feel it. It was her shuddering sob that made his heart lurch. For hope or sorrow, he was no longer sure. He folded her into his arms like an infant and rocked her as he had seen her mother do so many times before. She calmed once more, relishing the soothing motion to which she grappled herself like a lifeline.
(Ahh...Ahh...)Tower over me... (Ahh...)Tower over me...And I'll take the truth at any cost.

Kagome let her hand wander up to the face of her caretaker. She mapped it out with her fingers which she could feel being kissed tenderly. The strong features, squared jaw and weeping eyes were not those of her mothers. It was the face she had seen so many times, it was as familiar as her own. Her fingers stilled and as they did, so did the breath that had soothed her moments before. She buried her fingers in that shock of silver hair atop his head and released another frame racking sob.'Cause we are broken.What must we do to restore,Our innocence,And all the promise we adored?

Inuyasha just held her, girding himself up for the thrashing and renewed screams. When nothing happened, he simply watched her. She pressed her face into his Hakami and took a deep, steady breath. A quiet tear slipped down her cheek as she pulled herself further into the embrace. It was then he noticed something that had not been present for quite sometime. Something that made him release the tears he had been holding in all these days. The locket she had given him lay open around her neck, her smiling face next to his ever-present scowl. He closed the locket and slipped it off of her neck only to place it around his own. When she was well, he would take another for her. He would smile just for her. Kagome’s content sigh brought him back to the present. He smiled down at her and wrapped the comforter around her shoulders. Maybe that tiny necklace could do what no bandage ever could. Heal what was broken.
Give us life again,'Cause we just wanna be whole.