InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Whispered Dreams ❯ All Alone ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

* Whispered Dreams *

By: Youkai Yume

Yume: Wowies! People actually got interested in this story!

CF: (does happy dance) Yay! CF's brilliant! Of course they liked it! (gets pillow thrown at her) @_@

Yume: Most of you figured out what Kagome meant in the last chapter. But some of you seem to be confused on their age difference. Sesshomaru will not get together with her as a 10-12 year old---that's just wrong! I'll probably have him explain this later on, but in my story, a demon child ages the same as humans up until they are twenty---then they'll age a lot slower.

CF: Kagome, however. . .but you'll get it later on.

Yume: That's right, can't spoil this for others. Anyways, please enjoy this next chapter! I know things are a bit confusing, but it'll make a lot more sense when I reveal story background and everything. ^_^

Disclaimer: Inuyasha's not mine. I barely have anything at all. In fact, all I have is this cardboard box. . .don't ask how I get internet access.

Chapter 2: All Alone

He stared down at the bottomless pit of the well for what seemed to be the hundredth time. How long he was staring he wasn't sure. Sighing, Sessshomaru tore his golden eyes away from the black scenery and looked up at the cloudless, blue sky.

It had been five weeks since he had seen her. The mysterious girl named Kagome. After his encounter with her, the young prince had decided to consider her words and give life another shot. But that didn't erase the lingering desire of fading away from his heart. But there was something about the girl that drew the child to her, and not able to resist, he had found himself being helplessly pulled in.

Being the curious demon prince that he was, he felt a sudden need to learn more about her. Not long after the night of the full moon, he had come back to this very spot, hoping that he would be able to see her once more, and in vain attempts, had done so again for several nights after that. And now he stood, once more, in front of the well, with nothing but the scent of orchids and vanilla that still lingered even after the many days that passed.

Of course, she hasn't been seen since, but a small glimmer of hope still shone in his eyes. Tracing a small pattern of circles on the ground with this foot, Sesshomaru pouted in disappointment. But what was the real reason why he wanted to see her so badly?

Perhaps it was the way she looked at him with her compassionate eyes, or the way she was able to soothe his soul with the simplest touch. Perhaps the young demon prince just yearned for someone to talk to, someone who understood him.

Up until now, he had believed no one could grasp what his views were, thought him to be ignorant of worldly matters simply because he was just a child. But not Kagome. She was different. Sesshomaru knew she was, despite the short period of time that he knew her.

Deciding nothing would come of him staying any longer, Sesshomaru jumped off of his perch from the well's lip, and walked away from the clearing. He glanced back to acknowledge once more that another day had passed, and the mysterious girl named Kagome remained to be unseen. The demon of a child scratched his head thoughtfully, watching as the blue sky turning a beautiful shade of orange.

"Whatever," he muttered. She was still, only a human girl, and he could care less whether he saw her again or not. The matter of the fact that she didn't SMELL like a ningen still puzzled him. . .but he would not dig into it further. Kagome would become nothing but a mere memory as time passed, he realized. But despite this, her eyes, her smile was unforgettable, and even as a memory she would remain forever etched into his mind.

= ^_^ =

The moonlight filtered through the charred windows of the burnt room. As it shone it's pale light into the melancholy exterior, she noted that it did not even cast her own shadow onto the dust and soot covered floor. It had been so long since she had last seen it, and when one was as alone as she, they begin to miss its' company.

Closing her sapphire eyes, she sighed, the sound coming tired from her parted lips. It truly WAS lonely, being here all by herself, and the loneliness ate at her inside out in an agonizingly slow manner. What she would give to have someone-anyone to come and keep her company. But it wasn't like anyone would spare her a second glance before running off in fear, let alone have a good talk with her.

She hated being here, living out this empty existence as time and life passed her by. And she had to admit she was thoroughly envious of the living. They were able to touch, feel, smell, taste, experience every emotion and delight that the extent of their senses would allow them.

That was what she truly longed for. . .to feel. But being what she was, it was impossible to even dream of such a ridiculous fantasy. One such as she can only be numb. Although there were those brief times when she was allowed to walk among the living, she was not truly alive, living like they were. Even when she was breathing, feeling. . .she was still seemingly dead.

Her soul ached, and longed to be heard, to know for once what if truly felt like to be able to feel. But it was hopeless, this was what the fates condemned her to, and she would accept it with everything that she was. Her sapphire orbs looked like they were melting into liquid as tears began to well up in them.

They slid down her pale cheeks, and fell to the floor, not even splashing but just fading into the wooden surface. Not even her tears were real. But her pain. . .her pain was very real. It was the only thing she COULD feel, and embracing onto it, she poured forth the last feeling her soul contained into a hauntingly beautiful melody.

= ^_^ =

His ears perked at the sudden sound. Staying absolutely still, Sesshomaru listened to the soft melody that permeated the now night air. The wind blew all around him, howling as if it wanted to blend in with the melancholy song, but the voice was distinct and was beautiful all on it's own.

Sesshomaru furrowed his brows together in concentration. It was familiar somehow, a vague memory in the back of his mind. He was certain he had heard the haunting tune---along with the haunting lyrics somewhere before. But he couldn't quite put a finger on it.

Listening even more carefully, he analyzed the voice to be soft, but yet powerful. Full of compassion and kindness, but heavily laced in a deep sorrow and regret. He had only once heard someone who spoke-sang with such a longing. A sudden vision of a raven-haired, sapphire-eyed girl, smiling her sad smile made itself visible in his mind. Sesshomaru' golden eyes snapped open in realization.

"Kagome." His mind raced as the familiar feeling of hope dawned on him, and as if on instinct, he had already begun to run towards the source of her voice. `It's her! I'm sure it is!' He convinced himself. It was the same song that he had heard her sing on the night that he met her. He remembered the scene perfectly in his mind.

Bathed in the moon's light, seated on the well, eyes glittering in sadness, and lips parted as the wondrous melody spilled from her soul. Yes, he remembered!

As he ran deeper, it grew louder. Even the little demon prince had to admit that he did not recognize the neck of the woods that he was in. But surprisingly he wasn't afraid of the growing darkness, nor the possibility that he was lost.

His mind was only locked onto the haunting song. If he could just reach it, then perhaps he'd be able to satisfy his curiosity. And he knew he himself could not find any peace unless he would see Kagome once more. His feet lead him blindly to wherever the voice sang, and he found himself running up a long stone stairway. The grass and moss had covered them like a blanket, and it was so dirty that it was wherever he was going, it was obviously abandoned.

`She's here!' He stopped at last, panting slightly and staring with anticipation at his destination. He was in front of what seemed to be what was left of a burnt down shrine. `But why here of all places?' Catching his breath, he slowly walked into the shrine, stepping over the creaking, charred and broken wood as he did so.

The smell of a long-gone fire still lingered, leaving behind a dirty, dry and sooty smell. Sesshomaru wrinkled his nose slightly at the odor, but found that he did not have to hold his nose. The scent of orchids and vanilla dominated the air, and locking onto it, he inhaled deeply. His head turned in the direction of a corridor, and following his nose and ears, he walked towards it.

The melody drifted eerily through the burnt hallways, echoing its' sadness for what seemed to be eternity. He wandered through the empty building until at last he came to a room where the sound was loudest. Peering into it, he found that it used to be a library. Old scrolls, papers, and books littered on the floor. Their burnt pages blending in with the black wood.

The moon's rays shone through the cracks and window, and his golden eyes followed one particular ray of light, until it lead him to the girl it was shining upon. His breath became caught in his throat. It was her, no mistake about it.

Eyes closed and pink lips parted, she sang her sweet song, raven locks floating around her as if she wasn't even real, and the moonlight gave her an even more ethereal appearance.

"Kagome. . ." The child whispered into the room. The melody ceased immediately, and Kagome jumped with shock at having her name heard. Sapphire eyes uncovered from her eyelids as she stared in surprise at the person who owned the voice. She gasped when she realized who it was.

"S-Sesshomaru!" The child wanted to smile at the older girl, but something in the way she said his name suggested that she wasn't only surprised to see him, but didn't want to. Still, he buried the nagging feeling away. He walked slowly towards her, his hand reaching out as if he wanted to touch her and make sure that she was indeed there.

"It's you. . .I thought I'd never get to see you again. . ." He approached her still, and with each step, she backed away, stepping away from the light and into the darkness. It gave him the impression that she was a scared animal being backed into a corner. He frowned. "What's wrong? Don't you remember me?" Kagome's sapphire eyes softened.

"Of course I do. . ." She whispered.

"Then why are you hiding? I just want to talk to you," He stared hopelessly at her when she still refused to come out of the shadows. Perhaps he was mistaken about her, she didn't see him differently afterall. . . "I thought," the demon of a child tried to keep his voice steady, "I thought you understood me. . .I thought you were different from the others."

She hung her head sadly, and Sesshomaru could not hide the pain evident in his voice.

"I thought maybe. . .we could've been friends," At the mention of that, Kagome came into the moonlight once more, and both of their eyes flickered with hope for a second. And perhaps it was a trick of the light, but the demon child could've almost sworn she was almost transparent. Or perhaps she was just too beautiful for the eyes to truly comprehend.

"Really? You would want to be friends with someone like me?" She asked, her sapphire pools shone with nothing but longing. Sesshomaru tilted his head to the side, grinning slightly. So, the reason she was hiding wasn't his fault, but because she was ashamed-of what he didn't understand-of herself.

"Why wouldn't I?" He asked innocently, and a little confusion tainted his voice. Kagome broke out into a smile, but just as quickly it was gone. No, he didn't know the truth about her, and she wanted him to live life with what life had to offer, not with someone who didn't even belong to this world.

"No, no you don't. . .you're not supposed to even be here! Please, Sesshomaru, leave here and forget about me!" With that she turned away from him, retreating back into the shadows, and Sesshomaru had a feeling this time it was for good. His eyes widened in alarm, and he reached out his hand to stop her-convince her to stay with him.

"Hey! Wait, Kagome!" His fingers closed around her wrist, and for an instant, shock and confusion flashed on his face, as his hand passed right through hers. Stopping abruptly, he gazed down at his hand, opening it to see nothing but air. `But. . .how?' Sesshomaru's head shot back up to look at her questioningly.

His chest tightened, tears were streaming down her face, and she hung her head once again in a pain-stricken manner.

"I don't understand. . ." He said softly. She smiled, despite the tears that continued to fall from her orbs, and her hands went to reach out to him-as if wanting to touch his face. But her fingers stopped just mere centimeters away from his skin.

"Little one," she whispered, and her hand finally came to touch his cheek. "Do you feel that?" Sesshomaru's eyes glittered for a moment, just staring at her, and silently forcing himself to feel the warmth, the texture of her hand. But to no avail. He shook his head. He could feel nothing. She closed her eyes.

"Neither can I," Kagome said sadly. Drawing back, she slowly disappeared from his view, and he saw that she was indeed transparent. He understood, she wasn't real. . .or rather she wasn't alive. A million thoughts flashed into his mind. If this was indeed so, then how was she able to hold him that night? He was certain he had not imagined her touch, and he knew she was not someone he dreamed up. She was real. Why then, his mind screamed, was she suddenly not so real now?

As she continued to fade into darkness, Sesshomaru wanted to call out to her, that he didn't care either way and he still wanted her to say. But he just stood there, frozen as he watched her go. Finally, her sapphire eyes, her raven black hair, her midnight blue kimono, disappeared altogether, leaving him staring into nothingness.

Standing there, the little demon prince finally found his voice and whispered into the darkness as if she could still his plea.

"Please don't leave me all alone again."

* End Chapter *

CF: (whining) Yuuuuuumeeeeeee!

Yume: What?

CF: It's too short! And it's sad!

Yume: Well, it IS in the angst category. And what are you complaining about? It's your idea!

CF: Hmph!

Yume: Sorry for the shortness, best I can do on Thanksgiving Day. On that note, HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Please review, no flames, and all will be cleared up soon, promise! ^_^

Review Responses:

~Fanfiction.net

maixwolfblossom, Rin6, CreSentMoOn99, ladihouki, Saria4, Ana, InuMaru-Rapture, Spork or Foon, digitude, Mel, Ali B, Noir12, the hitokiri battousai, Mystified3, Bear5, Vixen Jinxie-chan, ami, Kaela, the Tiger Demoness, shinkan neko85, Xelena, dreamcather5, K-chan16, Reine Keri, konton, Tina, Kaimi, Lecta, TigerPrincess1, dreamertwin, bee3, DemonMaiden, AngOfDeath2U, THANKS AND I'M COMING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Familia-Ficz: Glad to see you liked it! And I'm deeply honored to have you review all of my stories. Ugh. What a busy weekend.

Perro: Whether you like it or not is cool with me. Though, if you DID like it, what a bonus! ^_^

Iyluva7978: Yeah, I believe I already explained to you what's going on, so I hope that helps!

DarkPyroPlanet: lolz. I'm sorry if I confused ya. Like I said, Sesshomaru is 10-12 NOW. But hey, kids grow up, right? He ages the same as human children up until he reaches the age twenty, then it takes him much longer to age. See? And as for Kagome, I'm sure you've figured it out by now!

DarknessGaurdian: I'm so flattered! (blush) But I'm not at all the great writer you think me to be. Just ask my teachers! Lolz. Anyways, it's nice to hear though, and flames-there will always be someone out there to criticize my work, so I guess I can't always be safe, ne?

Mistress Fluffy: Yes, I'm surprised I started another one too. I'm crazy, I know! Glad you like though.

Kiwi93089: Aw, poor kiwi, hope you're all better! And I hope my stories kept you good and entertained!

Amyfushigiyugi: Actually, I had forgotten about Inu! But now that you mentioned him, it'll add an interesting twist to the story line! Thanks!

Kasumi21: I'm so glad you thought my writing is beautiful! I always think I write to detailed, or crappy. Bleckh. Oh wells. I liked that line too! It came to me like a bolt of lightning!

Helen: Yes, I thought of that episode too, waaaah!

RanmaGirl7: Thanks! I try my best portraying their emotions, and from your reaction, I guess I did a good job! ^_^

~Mediaminer.org

lil sesshi, Devidoo, cybersesshyfan, Nagasaki, Sundragon, Scottish Fae, yasmin, EvilNekoEatsYourSoul, THANKS FOR THE REVIEWS!

Kyana: I usually don't care for AU either, but this story fits best in that category, so yeah. Glad you like! ^_^

Tsukitani: Wowies! Well, maybe one day I'll send you a little Sesshy and you can pet him and squeeze him, and call him George! Hehe. Glad you like!

StormAZ: I think you're VERY confused here. But I think this chapter should get a little confusion out of the way. All things will clear up by next chapter, promise!

Miyumi-chan: HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! ^_^

Wackoramaco87: DING! DING! DING! You've hit the jackpot! My you're smart! But shhhh! Don't ruin if for everyone else!

END NOTE!

CF: All done! Which means I'll be collecting chocolate fees now!

Yume: (muffles her) Greedy fox! Anways, I hope you like that chapter, and the next update should be in a week or two. . .

CF: (bites hands and Yume lets go, howling in pain) Kap-king! ^_^

Yume: YOU LIL' BRAT!

Ja Ne! ^_~