InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Whose Afraid of Monsters? ❯ Whose Afriad of Monsters? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha belongs to Rumiko Takahashi I make no $ from this story
 
Whose Afraid of Monsters?
 
On a cool autumn night, the InuTachi were preparing to sleep in their campsite in the deep forest. As Kagome spread out her sleeping bag, Shippo came and clung to her legs, shivering. A crease of concern on her brow, she squatted down beside him..
 
“Why are you shaking so much Shippo, are you cold?”
 
The kitsune shook his head and then looked ashamed. At his unusual reticence, Kagome moved to look earnestly in his face. He kicked the ground moodily.
 
“It's not that,” Shippo said slowly. “I've been having these dreams…”
 
“Keh, don't be afraid of bad dreams Shippo,” InuYasha scoffed from nearby. “You got enough in the waking world to be worried about.”
 
“Hush InuYasha,” Kagome scolded. “He's just a child - an orphan just like you.”
 
With a growl, the hanyou reluctantly subsided. But he watched and listened to what they were doing.
 
“Tell me about it, Shippo,” Kagome said softly. “Sometimes when you talk, you become less afraid.”
 
Sighing, Shippo plopped down on the sleeping bag, looking at his hands in his lap.
 
“I dream about…monsters, coming to eat me,” Shippo said. “It holds me in its huge jaws, and I can't escape.”
 
“But you face ferocious youkai with us all the time,” Kagome replied. “Why does this particular monster scare you?”
 
Turning solemn eyes to Kagome, Shippo replied softly. “It looks just like Manten, only bigger….”
 
An expression of understanding softened Kagomes face, and she gave him a hug, which he accepted gratefully. Over Shippos shoulder, she could see InuYasha looking on sourly.
 
“Manten is dead - if you just tell yourself to forget about it, eventually the dreams will go away.”
 
Miroku and Sango had been listening to the conversation as well, and they came over to sit beside Kagome and Shippo to offer their support. Sometimes InuYasha could be so gruff…
 
“When I was a child, I was scared of monsters too,” Miroku said. “I saw an otoroshi once, and it scared me silly. I dreamt about it for weeks, until my father came to me one night and told me that it only punishes naughty children - it would leave me alone if I were good.”
 
“I was afraid of Ao-andon,” Sango whispered. “I used to go hide after hyakumonogatari.”
 
“You both were afraid monsters?” Shippo said astonished. “But you are so fearless!”
 
“We grew up.” Sango said with a smile. “The dreams will pass you'll see.”
 
Kagome tussled Shippos. “I was afraid of Ama-no-jaku as a child. My Jii-chan used to tell me stories about him, and I had nightmares.”
 
Taking a big sigh, Shippo smiled. Then he glanced at InuYasha who had not participated.
 
“I ain't been afraid of any monsters - ever!” InuYasha snapped.
 
The others shrugged and they went to sleep. But late in the night Kagome woke up to see InuYasha staring moodily into the fire.
 
“What is it?” Kagome asked. “I know something's wrong.”
 
“Don't tell anyone…the only monster I am afraid of, is myself.”
 
Sympathetically, Kagome took his hand.