InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ With One Eye ❯ Her Path ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: This piece is based on 'Inuyasha', owned by Rumiko Takahashi. No copyright infringement intended or implied.

Her Path

The men burst into the clearing before she could leave.

"Kaede! The headman was so worried when he couldn't find you!"

She refused to wince, despite feeling guilty at having more or less run away, after overhearing about a new miko. "I'll, um, apologize to Yasuo-dono for leaving without telling him," she said. "I--"

"Kami preserve us!" She turned. One of the men was staring, his face white, his hands on his spear shaking. "I thought that thing was dead!"

"My sister did not kill Inuyasha," Kaede said. "She sealed him."

"Sealed?" Voices rose.

"Why didn't she kill it?"

"What if the seal breaks?"

"He'll kill us all in our sleep!"

"We should kill it, now!"

Kaede listened with growing horror as the men worked themselves into a panic. She didn't understand why Kikyo had sealed Inuyasha, and she doubted they could break the seal. But, arrows and spears rose, she ran, and leaped in front of Inuyasha.

"Stop!"

Silence. Kaede stared at them defiantly.

"Out of the way, girl! We're killing that hanyo!"

"You can not," she stated firmly, refusing to cringe under their angry gazes. "He is sealed--forever."

"Girl--"

"Kaede," she corrected, with a sudden sense of surety. "I am Kikyo-sama's sister, and I say she sealed him for good reason. We should leave."

She didn't know what the headman's plan for her was. But, that whatever he wanted, her path was set. She would protect Inuyasha from the villagers, and the villagers from Inuyasha.

Whatever it took.


Author's Note: This was written for the Issekiwa community on LiveJournal, for the prompt "Cringe." It was originally published on October 29, 2009.