InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Don't Know What You Have 'Till Its Gone ❯ Fashion Show ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

{Disclaimer: Inuyasha doesn't belong to me so don't sue. ::sighs:: unless someone would like to give him to me. I would have a ball playing with those ears.}

You Don't Know What You Have 'Till It's Gone

By Striking Falcon

Chapter Two: Fashion Show

Kagome woke out of her slumber with the feeling that something was watching her. She squinted as she opened her eyes, adjusting to the sunlight. Instead of looking up at the ceiling, she found herself staring into brown, laughing eyes. Kagome blinked.

"Rin woke Kagome! Now Kagome and Rin can go play!"

The little girl jumped to the foot of the futon, watching as Kagome raised herself up, keeping the fur she slept under around her. Rin bounced on the end of the bed playfully, waiting patiently for Kagome to get up. Kagome giggled as she jumped, at the same time wondering what a child was doing in Sesshoumaru's castle.

'I must be crazy,' she thought to herself as she swung her legs over the side of the futon. 'What is a kid doing in here? I thought Sesshoumaru hated humans.' Rin sat down as Kagome stood up. Wrapping the fur around her like a towel, she turned around.

"What do you think, Rin?"

Rin giggled, smiling as Kagome modeled her new 'clothes'.

"Rin thinks Kagome looks silly. Like a forest demon."

Kagome looked down at herself and giggled too. 'She's right. I do look like some sort of forest sprite.'

Rin pointed to the vanity. "Doesn't Kagome like the pretty clothes Sesshoumaru-sama left her?"

Kagome stared at the vanity. In the little seat was a red bundle of cloth. Kagome reached over and tugged at a piece of white sticking out of the bundle, holding it up to the morning sunlight. 'It's just a cotton inner haori.' She tugged it over her head and around her body, yanking the fir out from under it. Kagome smoothed the shirt out. It reached about mid thigh, fitting her perfectly. 'Its so soft,' she thought as she freed another piece of white from the bundle. Kagome sat down on the vanity seat to balance herself as she pulled on the white cotton pants. 'These fit, too. Almost as if they were made for me. But that's not possible.' Kagome stood up and reached for the embroidered slippers on the vanity desk. Stepping in them, she wondered to herself if anything from her world felt anywhere near as good as they did. She turned to Rin, who stared at her questioningly.

"Well, what do you think, Rin?"

Rin shook her head. "Kagome isn't finished."

Kagome blinked in her confusion. "Not finished?"

Rin pointed to the bundle of cloth the clothes came in. Kagome picked up the fabric and gasped. The red bundle was a kimono, blood red with little pink fans sewn in the fabric. Kagome put it on, tying it closed with a golden sash. Kagome peered down at herself. 'The colors of the miko, but not in the fashion. Why would he mix up the colors?' Kagome sighed and sat down the fix her hair. 'Who cares? At least no one can confuse you with Kikyou.' A tear fell down her cheek, catching Rin's attention as she sat down beside her.

"Kagome, what's wrong?" she asked, her small hand on Kagome's knee. Kagome smiled down at her.

"Nothing, Rin. I just don't have anything to fix my hair with."

Rin giggled, pointing to a comb on the desk. "Sesshoumaru-sama thought of that too."

Kagome studied the comb, awestruck. The comb was made entirely of pearl, with little garnets in a single line encrusted at the top.

"Its beautiful, Rin, but I need a comb and a brush to put it in."

Rin shook her head and grabbed the comb. She passed it through Kagome's hair quickly three times, and then set it at the crown of her head. Just as Kagome was opening her mouth to speak, the comb started to hum. The hum sent slight vibrations through her hair. Kagome held her breath and watched in the mirror, Rin grinning in amazement. Her hair suddenly became alive, lifting and twisting of its own accord. Kagome and Rin stared as each lock maneuvered, some straightening and some pinning themselves behind the comb. When the show was over, Kagome patted the new style gingerly, as if her hair would attack her at any moment. The hair behind her ears draped down her back, with the rest pinned in a tight bun at her crown, tendrils surrounding her face. Rin clapped her hands in approval.

"Kagome is so pretty! Sesshoumaru-sama always gives the best presents!"

Kagome stared at her reflection in silence, too mesmerized to speak. Rin peered up at her, worry on her little features.

"Is Kagome not happy with Sesshoumaru-sama's present?"

"Answer her."

Kagome spun around in her seat, watching as Sesshoumaru walked into the room. Placing a hand on Rin's head, Sesshoumaru addressed Kagome again.

"You are upsetting her, woman. Are you not pleased?"

Kagome nodded, her hands in her lap.

"Yes, I love the clothes, and the comb. Thank you."

Rin smiled and skipped around Sesshoumaru's feet, chanting her happiness at Kagome's approval. Sesshoumaru watched Kagome as she turned back to the vanity mirror.

"Yet something troubles you."

Kagome sighed and returned her gaze to him. Rin stopped skipping, tears in her eyes as she waited for Kagome to speak.

"I only regret that I don't have my pack with me. I have the perfect shade of lipstick to go with this."

Rin and Sesshoumaru blinked in their confusion before Sesshoumaru's face returned to it's stoic expression.

"What's lipstick?" Rin wondered out loud. Sesshoumaru wanted to know too, but refused to ask.

"Lipstick is something you put on your lips to make them pretty. It's a lot like this comb."

"Lipstick is the same color as your kimono?"

"Some is."

Rin gazed up at Sesshoumaru, her hands grasping one of his pants' legs.

"Can Rin have some lipstick, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"I would give you some, but my pack is with Inuyasha." Kagome glared at Sesshoumaru, who seemed not to notice. Rin sighed and let go, clasping Kagome's hands.

"When you get your pack back, you will give me some, right Kagome?"

"Hai."

She ruffled Rin's hair, causing her to squeal and duck Kagome's hand. This resulted in a full blown tickle fight, the demon lord in the room with them forgotten as the girls fell into jubilant laughter. Sesshoumaru watched as Rin scampered across the floor, Kagome hot on her heels as she struggled to keep up with the child and continue her 'torture' at the same time. 'She doesn't seem to fear Rin, even though she's here with me. Other humans steer clear of her.' He watched her a moment longer before clearing his throat. Rin and Kagome skidded to a stop, Rin colliding into Kagome's leg. Kagome reached out and grabbed her before she fell down.

"Thank you Kagome."

"You're very welcome."

Sesshoumaru stood up and gestured for Rin to leave. Rin flashed Kagome a bright smile before skipping out the door….

Leaving Kagome alone with Sesshoumaru.

Sesshoumaru's presence became threatening instantly as he crossed the room. Stopping in front of her, he lifted her chin to face him.

"Rin seems to like you, so don't fear for your life. Yet. I want you to answer a question. When you do, and I'm satisfied, I may let you go. If you don't," he gave a low chuckle "I don't have to tell you what happens then, do I?"

Kagome shook her head violently. Sesshoumaru released her chin.

"What has Inuyasha done to you to cause you such pain? To forget your sense of well-being? To want death like you did yesterday?"

"What makes you think I don't want it today?" Kagome whispered, her head still lowered.

"Something about Rin has brightened you considerably. I want to know what this is power that leaves you so numb, but still hurting. You will tell me so I may understand." With that he walked out the door, leaving Jakken to close it behind him.

"My lord, what power?"

"My brother has something stronger than what I have now. I want to know what it is, and how it helps him to defeat me at every turn. This 'Kagome' will tell me."

Jakken shrugged and followed Sesshoumaru through the castle.

-------

Miroku: Keep going!