InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Don't Know What You Have 'Till Its Gone ❯ Flee the Hurt ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

{Disclaimer: Inuyasha doesn't belong to me so don't sue. ::sighs:: unless someone would like to give him to me. I would have a ball playing with those ears.}

You Don't Know What You Have 'Till It's Gone

By Striking Falcon

Chapter Eight: Flee the Hurt

Kagome materialized into what she thought was her room in the castle. Standing for a second in astonishment, she broke down into heartrending sobs. She lowered herself to her knees before curling up into a fetal position. She cried breathlessly until a little hand patted her shoulders.

"Kagome, are you alright?" Rin asked, remembering the speech lessons Kagome instructed her on earlier in the day. Kagome brushed her sleeve against her cheeks hurriedly as she struggled to calm down.

"I'm fine, Rin," she said as she sat up. Rin hugged her tightly, sending little rivets of comfort through the shaken young woman.

"Did something happen?" Rin asked, looking into Kagome's face. Kagome nodded. Rin rested her head against Kagome's shoulder.

"I'm sorry you're sad," she whispered. Kagome picked the child up and carried her back to her bed.

"Its not your fault Rin," she told her as she sat down beside her.

"I just need to go home."

Rin brightened. "Can I go too?"

"I don't know. I don't think Sesshoumaru would like that."

Rin frowned. "But I want to go."

Kagome glanced around the room, looking for something to pacify the child when her gaze fixed on Rin's curtains. She walked to the window and stuck her head out. 'I could make that, if I tie Rin's curtains together.' She jerked the curtain on the right side of the window down and started to tie it to the other one. Rin stared at her in amazement.

"What are you doing?" she asked. Kagome glanced back at her as she tossed the makeshift ladder to the ground.

"I'm going home. You can come if you want."

"Yay!" Rin cheered. Kagome pressed one finger to her lips.

"You must be quiet. Sesshoumaru will hear you."

"He doesn't know?"

"No he doesn't. I want to go home to get something to surprise him, but I can't if you ruin it."

Rin followed Kagome to the balcony as she swung her leg over the balcony ledge. Shimming to the outside, she clutched the fabric for dear life.

"O. k. Rin, you stay there until I get down."

++++++++

'That was harder than I thought,' Sesshoumaru groaned to himself as he sank down in his formal chair. 'Transporting Kagome, Inuyasha and his group, and that annoying servant was more than I realized. Especially trying to make sure Kagome and Inuyasha's group got to their intended destinations safely. That servant could end up in a wall for all I care.' A sob startled him. He jumped out of his seat and ran to Rin's room. Throwing open the doors, it took his fatigued mind a little longer to register what was in front of him. Rin stood on the balcony, looking over the edge. Her curtain was draped over the side. The rest of the room was empty.

'Wait a minute…'

Sesshoumaru crossed the room, standing beside Rin as she leaned over the rail. She leaped into Sesshoumaru's arms, sobbing.

"I tried to stop her, Sesshoumaru-sama," she cried, her tears staining the front of his haori. "But Kagome said she had to go home. When I tried to go too, she untied the curtain and fell! I think she's hurt! But she's gone!"

Rin continued to cry as Sesshoumaru focused on the wind currents. 'Where is she?' he wondered as the breeze caressed his face. Her scent drifted to him on the night breeze, and she was a great deal farther than he would have thought. He could also smell her pain, Rin's fears of her being hurt in the fall confirmed. He gently tugged Rin off him and to her bed. Tucking her in and patting her head, he turned around and leaped over the balcony rail. Skirting the ground, he followed her scent as another floated on the gentle wind. He growled in annoyance. 'That's just great. Not only does she try to leave, but it-' Lightening flashed across the sky as the first few drops of rain fell to the ground.

'Starts to rain.'

Sesshoumaru ran faster.

+++++++

'Just great,' Kagome complained as she picked herself up. The light rain fast became a downpour, nearly flooding the field she ran across. She slipped in some mud, landing flat on her back. The cut on her arm wasn't helping either. She dashed forward, her hair flaring wildly as she searched for any sign of danger. She stopped beside a tree, leaning against the trunk as she tried to catch her breath. The leaves dripped water on her, but provided a little shelter from the onslaught outside its branches. Kagome patted the tree in thanks and continued to run, going deeper and deeper into the forest. Just as she reached the clearing where she melted the monster, something furry wrapped around her waist and yanked her backwards. She desperately tried to grab hold of one of the trees as she passed them, but the furry thing was going entirely too fast. It turned her around as it slowed down. Kagome snorted in annoyance as she hovered above one of the last demons she wanted to see.

"How rude of you to leave without saying goodbye," Sesshoumaru joked, watching her scowl in annoyance. Kagome shook her head.

"Like you care," she muttered, her arms crossing as she looked somewhere else. His tail brought her closer to him, arms open to receive her. He draped them around her waist as she struggled to get away.

"Do I disgust you so much?" he whispered, his tail wrapped around them both shielding them from the rain. Kagome gazed up at him, tears streaming from her eyes. {Inspiration picture found at Sesshoumaru: The Killing Perfection under Beanclam 4.}

"No. I just can't stay here."

Sesshoumaru glared at her, the lightening reflecting in his amber eyes. "Are you still so willing to follow Inuyasha? After tonight, you would run back to him like some love-struck puppy?"

"Funny that phrase would come from you!" Kagome shot back. "After all, I'm not the one who turns into a giant St. Bernard!"

Sesshoumaru sighed, deciding to get off dogs for the time being. "Answer my question. You're only a shard detector to him. Why are you so eager to return to someone who thinks so lowly of you?"

"At least with him I'm something! Here I'm nothing but some doll!"

"You are not a doll." Sesshoumaru stated simply, as if she knew this but was too stubborn to admit it. Kagome scoffed.

"Yes, you're right. I'm Rin's playmate and teacher. How could I have forgotten?" She lightly smacked her forehead. Sesshoumaru brushed her hand away roughly, nearly scratching her in the process.

"Don't be disrespectful," he hissed, shaking her gently. Kagome closed her eyes, chanting to herself;

'Don't get angry, don't get angry, don't get-'

"Why do you care so much what I do? You don't like humans, remember? I thought you would like nothing more than to get rid of me."

"Rin likes you. She wants you to stay."

"And? I'm still going home."

Sesshoumaru shook his head. 'If I don't get her out of this rain, she'll get sick and Rin will have a fit.'

"I want you to stay."

Kagome gasped in disbelief. She gazed into his eyes, trying to figure out if he meant what he said.

"Why?" she asked, her hand unconsciously reaching up to caress the nearest stripe on his rain-slick cheek.

Sesshoumaru thought for a moment, then mentally shrugged. "I want you for a mate."

Kagome froze mid-caress. "What?"

"You don't hear very well, do you Kagome?"

Kagome blinked at him. "You said…you said my…name."

Sesshoumaru raised a well sculpted eyebrow. "Yes, I guess I did."

Kagome shook her head in amusement. "Why do you want me? For a mate, I mean."

"Because you belong to me."

Kagome shoulders drooped. 'So that's it. No declaration of love. Its just some game he's playing. As long as I don't say yes or no, I'll still have a chance to go home. But why am I so disappointed all of a sudden?'

"Well?" he asked, his hand softly grasping hers, rubbing his cheek against it. 'She's getting cold. We need to get-'

"I can't," Kagome whispered. Sesshoumaru blinked out of his thoughts, looking down at Kagome. Her eyes were cast down and her fingers were twirling around a strand of her hair.

"I see," he said, releasing her hand.

"I'm sorry, Sesshoumaru, but I need time. I don't want you to feel like I felt with Inuyasha. I want to tell you that I'll be your mate because I want to and not because I want to get back at Inuyasha. Do you understand?"

Sesshoumaru nodded solemnly. "I will wait. Until then, will you return to the castle? My fur is soaked."

Kagome giggled, nodding her head. Sesshoumaru gathered her in his arms and flew back to the castle. He set her back in her window, crouching in the ledge. He waited patiently as Kagome found her footing on the cold stone floor. When she turned to thank him, he was already gone. Kagome sighed and shrugged out of her wet kimono, it reminding her of a puddle of spilled indigo ink. She opened her pack, pulled out a towel, took off the rest of her clothes, and dried herself off. Wrapping a dry towel around herself, she sat down on her futon. At the foot of it was a white sleeping kimono. Kagome smiled, wondering how she didn't notice this before as she slipped it on. Sinking down into the furs, she smiled as she drifted off to sleep.

--------

Inuyasha: The bird is still in the rafters, so keep going.