InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 2): Awakenings ❯ On The Road Again ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
This is a continuation of “Live and Let Die.” If you would like to read it first (recommended), you will find it at
http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/116303 / .
 
 
Live and Let Die: Awakenings
 
 
Chapter 1: On theRoad Again (Warning: Chapter contains Lemon)
 
They were on the road again, headed in the direction of the latest rumor that might involve a jewel shard. A village a couple of days away was having problems with an enormous bear youkai attacking it. No one in the area could understand what had happened; the bear youkai had been there for years, but had always been peaceful. It had never raised a paw or fang against the villagers. They left it alone, and it in turn ignored the villagers. Sounding as though its change in behavior might be the result of a jewel shard, the gang headed out in that direction.
 
Their departure from the village was not as peaceful as they had hoped for. In spite of the warnings from Sango and Miroku as well as old Kaede, Shippou had pitched an absolute fit when he was told that he was going to be left behind, just as Kagome told him he would be after his abhorred behavior on their last trip out. After all, it was due to Shippou's selfishness in wanting to keep Kagome to himself that almost caused the demise of both the hanyou and young miko. Kagome was still reminded of the consequences of the kitsune's behavior whenever she would wake up in the middle of the night with InuYasha clutching her tightly and asking if she were really there. Kagome would soothe him by whispering to him and rubbing his ear until he calmed down and went into a more peaceful sleep. Of all of the things that had happened to the hanyou in his lifetime, nothing had been worse than being sealed by an ofuda so that he couldn't move and then being sealed inside of a cave where he thought no one would ever find him.
 
Shippou's temper tantrum only resulted in Kagome informing him that not only was the kitsune not going to be allowed to accompany them on this trip, he wouldn't be going on the next one, either. Shippou thought he would outsmart them and tried to follow. That did not get the results he expected, either. Instead of being allowed to stay as he expected, Shippou suddenly found the angry, hot breath of the hanyou on the back of his neck, which was clamped in InuYasha's fangs. On top of that, there was no rosary so that the kitsune could cry and get Kagome to sit InuYasha. Shippou found himself totally at the pack leader's mercy, and right now InuYasha was not pleased that Shippou had directly disobeyed Kagome.
 
“Shippou, you were told to stay at the village,” InuYasha growled angrily after he transferred the kitsune from his jaws to his hand, holding him by the tail.
 
“I know Kagome didn't mean it! She wouldn't want to go anywhere without me!” Shippou yelled.
 
“Shippou.” Kagome's voice was calm, but not happy.
 
“What did I tell you? You were to stay in the village. You are not going with us. In fact, after this stunt, I don't know when I'll let you travel with us again. Until you can show that you are truly sorry for what you did, and can follow instructions, you will not go with us. I obviously didn't do you any favors by being so soft on you before,” Kagome said before she asked, “Sango, may I borrow Kirara?”
 
“Of course, Kagome. Do you want her to take Shippou back to the village?” the demon slayer asked.
 
“Yes. She can take him back and then catch back up with us without too much effort. We'll be stopping before much longer to make camp for the night,” Kagome responded.
 
“I won't go!” Shippou cried.
 
“You don't have a choice, runt. What Kagome says, goes,” InuYasha stated as he dangled Shippou in front of him.
 
Kirara took her cue and transformed before grabbing Shippou by the back of his shirt, and then she headed towards the village.
 
As they watched her sail over the tree line, Sango finally asked, “How long have you known he was following us?”
 
Kagome sighed. “All day, but I knew it wouldn't do any good to send him back before we were far enough away that he couldn't easily catch up again. I wish he had done as I had asked. I hate doing this, but I know it's for the best. I was too soft on him before. He still doesn't appreciate the seriousness of what he did, and it's all my fault.”
 
“Feh. He's old enough to know better. Shippou knew you have a good heart and took advantage of it,” InuYasha said as they headed down the road again.
 
“I just wished he had talked to me. I could have told him I wouldn't stop caring about him just because I love you,” Kagome said softly to her mate.
 
The four were walking fairly close together, and Miroku couldn't help but overhear. “He really did not think anything through very well. It did not even occur to Shippou that if you found InuYasha with Kikyou, you would probably have headed straight back home through the well. His big plan would have backfired. Shippou does not understand why Sango and I were also mad at him, but he does not seem to appreciate that we have accepted the consequences of our actions and are very sorry about them. Sango and I have both vowed to never let anything like that happen again. We had always been so quick to forgive Shippou because we consider him a child, but he went too far this time.”
 
“And it was not like he did not know how you felt about InuYasha,” Sango said and then added, “Everyone seemed to know how you felt about each other except for you two.”
 
Kagome looked at Sango and said quietly, “Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?”
 
“Huh?” Sango and Miroku both asked.
 
“Never mind,” Kagome said. It had been obvious to her for some time now how the monk and demon slayer felt about each other. InuYasha was the only one that seemed a bit dense about it.
 
InuYasha had stopped and bent over enough to indicate to Kagome to hop on his back. She did so as InuYasha said, “We're going ahead to find a campsite. We'll be waiting for you.”
 
Kagome laughed as InuYasha raced down the road. It didn't take him long to get to where he wanted to stop for the night, but he knew they should have nearly an hour before the others caught up with them. As he ran, the hanyou had worked his right hand up Kagome's thigh and slipped his fingers under the edge of her panties. Kagome was gasping in pleasure as he rubbed her clit and nub with his forefinger while he dipped his middle and fourth fingers into her in rhythm with his stride. Her panties were quickly becoming soaked. InuYasha jumped into a small clump of trees before he set Kagome on her feet, turned around and kissed her, hard.
 
“We don't have much time,” Kagome said as she ripped off InuYasha's clothes.
 
“It'll have to be enough,” InuYasha responded as he tried to help Kagome out of hers without shredding them for a change.
 
Not wasting any time, Kagome turned toward the large tree that was somewhat hiding them and braced her hands against it. InuYasha rubbed himself between her folds a few times to make certain that they were both ready before he slipped inside.
 
“InuYasha, please…” Kagome begged.
 
InuYasha complied and entered her from behind. He reached around her and started to rub her pearl with his right hand as he caressed her breast with his left. InuYasha started with long, slow strokes, but quickly picked up speed in order to fulfill both of their needs.
 
“Oh, Kami, InuYasha…harder…don't stop…”
 
“Ka…go…me…”
 
Kagome was using the tree for leverage and slamming back into InuYasha in rhythm with his thrusts into her. They didn't know why they had this burning need for one another - just that they wouldn't be able to settle for the night until they had satiated their desires to be with each other. This coupling would be fast and furious, but it would have to satisfy them for now.
 
“InuYasha… don't… stop… I'm… almost... oh... InuYashaaaa!” Kagome yelled, as her body started to convulse with her orgasm. InuYasha was still rubbing clit her and nub with his fingers as he nipped and kissed her back and shoulders, all in rhythm as he pounded into her.
 
“Oh… oh… Kagomeeeeee!” cried InuYasha as he exploded into her rippling channel, and continued to thrust as long as her body continued to react. Finally, both spent, InuYasha stopped and wrapped both of his arms around his mate, vibrating her body with his soothing growls. Kagome was still leaning against the tree, though now she had her head resting on her arms as she supported InuYasha's weight. Kagome loved the feeling that it created when he growled like that and made practically her whole body start to vibrate. InuYasha was also rubbing her abdomen and breasts in calming circles as they continued to come down from their high.
 
As InuYasha felt himself soften and start to slip out of her, he dropped to his knees and proceeded to lap at Kagome's thighs and folds to clean her up. Kagome just sighed and moaned in contentment as she remained leaning against the tree.
 
InuYasha finally stood, and turned Kagome to face him. He gently kissed her before he whispered, “Thank you.”
 
Kagome wrapped her arms around him and hugged him tightly. “I needed you, too. It was nice not to worry about how much noise we made for a change. It's been difficult the last few days since my grandfather came home, but I felt strange wanting to do this at home when he was there. I just couldn't with him in the house.”
 
“Keh, he'd probably try to purify me if he knew. Come on, we'd better get dressed and start setting up camp before the others get here,” InuYasha responded.
 
Kagome looked up and kissed him one more time. “All right. I wouldn't want to give that perverted monk any ideas.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha said as he held her panties so that she could step into them, and then handed Kagome her bra, skirt and top.
 
While Kagome was busy pulling on the rest of her clothing, InuYasha quickly wrapped his fundoshi. He didn't know why Kagome had such a fascination with it, but she seemed to enjoy ripping it off as much as he enjoyed letting her do it. However, right now the hanyou just needed to get his clothes back on before the others showed up.
 
 
 
“I wonder what that was about?” Miroku said to Sango as they walked down the road after InuYasha had taken off with Kagome on his back.
 
“InuYasha said he wanted to find a campsite for the night,” Sango responded.
 
“Is there not one that we have used before on this route up ahead?” Miroku replied.
 
“Well, come to think of it. Maybe they just needed some time alone together,” Sango answered.
 
“There is no time like the present to find out,” Miroku said as Kirara returned from her trip to the village, and then suggested, “Should we ride Kirara and catch up?”
 
“They may really need to be alone. This is our first trip out since they mated,” Sango responded.
 
“But what if they are in danger? We should not leave them all alone,” Miroku said with a grin.
 
“I hope they do not kill us,” Sango responded. “Kirara, will you catch up with InuYasha and Kagome for us? They went on ahead.”
 
Kirara had stayed in her large form and Miroku and Sango climbed onto her back. The firecat took to the air but after just a few minutes dropped back down to the road and shrunk to her small size, jumping out of the way as Miroku and Sango tumbled to the ground.
 
“Kirara! What was that for?” Sango asked.
 
Kirara just mewed.
 
About that time Sango turned beet red.
 
“What is it, Sango?”
 
“Do you not have ears, Houshi?”
 
They could clearly hear InuYasha and Kagome crying out each other's names, along with a few other things, across the wilderness. They decided to stay where they were until they could hear no more. Miroku decided Sango was right, and that he wasn't ready to die just yet. Well, at least not at the hands of InuYasha, as his hand reached towards Sango's rear.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Back at the village, Kaede was not surprised to see Kirara sailing over the trees toward her with an upset and irate kitsune dangling from her jaws. Without any preamble, Kirara dropped Shippou at the old miko's feet and took to the sky again, returning to her companions.
 
“I see your plan did not work out like you thought,” Kaede said to Shippou.
 
“It's not fair! I can't believe they left me here!” Shippou wailed.
 
“Did you not think that Kagome would stick to what she said? How many times did we warn you not to make a fuss? If you had just followed her instructions, you would have gone on the next trip with them. What did she say when you showed up?” Kaede asked.
 
“She...she...she said she was too soft on me and doesn't know when I can go with them again! It's all InuYasha's fault!” Shippou yelled.
 
“Shippou, until you can accept that all of this is of your own doing, you will not be able to go with them again. You must stop blaming InuYasha for everything. He and Kagome were always meant to be together. He saved you and avenged your father's death for you, and yet you act like this. Shippou, Kagome will not love you any less because she is with InuYasha, but you will drive her away, just like you tried to drive her from him. Think about it, Shippou. Do you love the memory of your real father and mother any less because you love Kagome? Did you think she would not have enough love for both of you? Instead of acting like you have lost another mother, maybe you should think of it as gaining a surrogate father. InuYasha has taken care of you and always made certain that you were safe and fed, and it was not only because Kagome wanted him to,” Kaede stated seriously.
 
“What?” Shippou asked, his entire demeanor having changed.
 
“Did you not realize that instead of losing one, you now have both, if you will treat them with respect and let them take care of you?” Kaede responded.
 
`A father?' Shippou thought. He had not considered it. The kitsune had been so lost in his jealous haze when he smelled the inevitable attraction the two had for each other, he had not thought past the green of his eyes. He wandered away, lost in thought of what he had done and how he needed to change. Though she had not shown it, he could tell that Kagome was both angry and disappointed with him for disobeying her. Shippou decided right then and there that he didn't like how he felt when Kagome felt that way.
 
Kaede watched him walk away. Maybe she had finally managed to get through that thick little skull of his.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
It took a few minutes, but Miroku finally lost the struggle with his hand.
 
Crack! “Hentai!” The sound of Sango's slap along with her yell echoed through the relative quiet of the area.
 
“How'd they get here so fast?” Kagome commented as she pulled her top on.
 
“Reach out and see what you can learn,” InuYasha said softly as he tied his haori.
 
“Kirara's back. They must have ridden her part of the way,” Kagome said. “Wow, I couldn't feel their presence from that far away before. Is that something else I picked up from you?”
 
“Yeah. You'll just have to practice and learn to use it. You had the ability somewhat before, but it is stronger now. You'll be able to tell what is approaching from a greater distance, and you should be able to tell the differences between different youkai,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Wait a minute, that's how I knew that Shippou was following us all day, too, isn't it?” Kagome asked.
 
“Keh. He tried to make sure he didn't get too close to us and stayed downwind from me. He didn't know we could both detect his aura. Since he hasn't worked to develop the natural ability he should have, it hasn't occurred to him that someone else could detect his,” InuYasha replied.
 
“I wonder what else we picked up from each other,” Kagome stated as she cleared an area to build a fire.
 
“I already told you I don't seem to have as much of a temper. I don't even feel the need to kill the monk for trying to come and spy on us,” InuYasha responded as he brought rocks over to put down to contain the fire.
 
“He what!” Kagome exclaimed in anger.
 
InuYasha chuckled. “But it looks like you'll make up for it. Okay, you perverted monk. We know you're over there.”
 
Miroku and Sango looked a bit sheepish when they joined them in the clearing. Kirara gave a meow that basically said, “I told you so.”
 
“We…we just did not want to interrupt,” Miroku said hastily.
 
“Oi, you mean you wanted to see what you could overhear,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Oh, we heard plenty before we got near here,” Sango mumbled.
 
Kagome just blushed.
 
“Feh,” InuYasha ended the conversation, and changed topics. “I'm going hunting. You can get the fire started.”
 
“I will find some wood,” Miroku said when InuYasha took off. From the look on Kagome's face, he decided that would be safer as he vanished into the forest.
 
When Miroku was gone, Kagome said quietly, “I would have expected Miroku to try to spy on us, but I'm disappointed in you, Sango.”
 
The response Kagome received was not exactly what she expected.
 
“Kagome, what is it like?” Sango said very softly.
 
“What do you mean?” Kagome asked.
 
“What is it like to be loved like that by someone? I was brought up thinking that I would have to lay with my husband to appease him and to have children. That it was duty I would have to do,” Sango replied. “At first I was afraid for you. I was afraid that InuYasha might accidentally hurt you because of his demon half. But your screams…you seemed to…to enjoy it. And then I…I was jealous. InuYasha chose you…only you. You will never have to worry about him grabbing at every female he sees.”
 
“Or asking them to bear his child?” Kagome asked quietly, though she had turned bright red at Sango's comments.
 
Sango nodded, but waited for Kagome to continue, which she did, “InuYasha would never hurt me. He is very gentle and has not left a mark on me, other than my mating mark. I enjoy it because I love him with all of my heart, and I know that he loves me. It's really wonderful when it's someone you want to be with. And I wouldn't give up on Miroku just yet. Sometimes I think he does what he does because it is the only way he's sure to get some kind of reaction out of you. I think it's just as hard for him to show his real feelings as it was for InuYasha. Look what it took for us to finally realize how we felt about each other. I wouldn't recommend going to such extremes.”
 
Sango nodded, and soon became lost in her own thoughts.
 
 
 
Miroku had returned with the firewood and the fire was going strong when InuYasha returned with several rabbits. As usual, he already had them prepared for cooking and each skewered on a stick when he returned. They weren't surprised because Kagome announced he was on his way back several minutes before he actually arrived.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“Yes, Miroku?”
 
“How did you know InuYasha was on his way back? You must have felt him from some distance away,” Miroku said, somewhat in wonder. “Is it because...”
 
“Of our mating?” Kagome finished for him.
 
Miroku just nodded.
 
“Oi, Monk. She's stronger in more than one way. We don't know everything that has happened yet,” InuYasha responded as he plopped down next to his mate.
 
“I could feel all of you somewhat before, but it has been intensified. For instance, I know that you used Kirara to try and catch up with us. What happened? How come you didn't get close enough to spy on us?” Kagome asked.
 
Sango blushed. “Kirara dropped us.”
 
“What?” Kagome asked.
 
“Kirara's a demon. She knew better than to barge in,” InuYasha responded. “So she dropped you on your ass?”
 
“Yeah,” Sango replied. “That is when we heard enough that I decided we would stay right where we were until it had quieted down. Then Houshi had to be his usual hentai self.”
 
“That slap gave us plenty of warning that you were near, even if we hadn't already noticed you were trying to sneak up on us,” Kagome said with a small grin, but then was more serious, “Still, I don't expect it to happen again. InuYasha and I weren't able to be together once my grandfather came home. I hoped that you two would respect our privacy at least a little.”
 
“I hoped I could pick up some pointers-” Miroku started.
 
The monk didn't finish as Sango yelled “Hentai!” and hit him in the head with Hiraikotsu. Miroku hit the ground with a thud.
 
“He'll never learn,” Kagome said as she shook her head.
 
 
It was relatively peaceful after dinner. Miroku had finally come to about time the rabbits were cooked and was wise enough not to make any more cracks about what had happened earlier. Sango seemed lost deep in thought as she absent-mindedly stroked Kirara, and Kagome was studying one of her books she brought along with her. InuYasha had jumped up into the branches of the large tree that overlooked the clearing, in his usual position to keep watch for the night. Kagome would rather have had him next to her, but understood that he would not feel safe for any of them if he was not up in the tree.
 
It had finally become too dark to read any more, and Kagome spread out her sleeping bag to retire for the evening. She whispered, knowing that InuYasha would hear her, “Goodnight, InuYasha.”
 
InuYasha jumped down long enough to quickly kiss her. “Goodnight, Kagome.” He jumped up into the tree to settle in for the night.
 
Kagome woke in the middle of the night, feeling the distress that was emanating from InuYasha. She could barely hear him as he whispered, “No…no…I'm only trying to help…can't move…Kagome….Kagome…please find me…Kagome…”
 
Kagome jolted awake when she realized he was having one of his nightmares, and she wasn't there to soothe him. If she didn't do something quickly, he would probably fall out of the tree. And while that may not kill the hanyou, it would surely embarrass him and cause a lot of questions.
 
“Kirara,” Kagome said softly.
 
The firecat opened her eyes so that they glowed as they reflected the firelight.
 
“Will you take me up to InuYasha?” Kagome asked quietly, not wanting to wake the others.
 
Kirara carefully extricated herself from Sango's arms and backed away to give herself enough room to transform. Kagome climbed on her back, and then Kirara glided up to InuYasha's perch, high in the tree. She floated alongside InuYasha as Kagome said softly, “InuYasha, I'm here. You're okay. You're not sealed any more.”
 
Still asleep, InuYasha reached out and wrapped his arms around his mate, pulling her into his lap and drawing her close to his body. Kagome continued to whisper to him and reached up to rub an ear. His whimpers changed to “Kagome…you found me…Kagome…” as the miko settled into his lap. Once his breathing had evened back out, Kagome said softly, “Thank you, Kirara. I think we'll be all right now.”
 
Kirara gave a soft mew and landed gently on the ground. However, she did not return to Sango's side. Kirara decided to keep watch underneath the tree just in case anything (or anyone) fell from above.
 
Kagome had wrapped both of her arms around the hanyou, and rested her head against his shoulder. In spite of being in the tree, she felt safe in InuYasha's arms and fell asleep.
 
 
 
InuYasha was surprised to wake up and find Kagome in his arms the next morning. It was still early, so he held her close and let her sleep. He tightened his grip a little when she started to wake, wanting to make certain she didn't try to roll over, forgetting she was asleep in a tree.
 
“Hey,” InuYasha said softly, and kissed her gently as she woke up.
 
“Morning,” Kagome responded, and she kissed him again.
 
“How'd you get up here?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Kirara,” Kagome answered.
 
“Why?” InuYasha kissed her one more time and questioned, “Wouldn't you have been more comfortable on the ground?”
 
“You were having a nightmare. I didn't want you to fall out of the tree,” Kagome said quietly.
 
“Wha…What? A nightmare?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Yeah. You've been having them since I found you. I can calm you and get you to go back to sleep if I'm near, but I felt so helpless down on the ground. You sounded so hopeless. I couldn't let it go on,” Kagome responded softly.
 
InuYasha blushed and turned away. “I can't believe I'm so fucking weak.”
 
Kagome stroked his cheek as she turned his face so she could look at him. “You are not weak. That was a horrible and traumatic thing that happened to you. I would have thought something was wrong with you if you didn't have any nightmares after what you went through. It was all my fault. I didn't find you fast enough. If I had been there sooner, you wouldn't have suffered so. You are my beautiful (kiss) strong (kiss) hanyou (kiss). You suffered because you tried to help someone. Don't you ever say you are weak to me again. We'll work through it together. You'll get past it and be stronger because you did.”
 
Kagome took InuYasha's face in both of her hands and kissed him again, this time more passionately. When they finally had to pull apart for air they heard, “Hey! Are you two planning on coming down from there any time soon?”
 
“Oi, Monk! You want to keep that head on your body?” InuYasha yelled down before he said tenderly to his mate, “Are you ready to go down and get ready to head out? We should make the village by this afternoon.”
 
“Yeah. I need to use the bathroom, though. That's one thing I can't do up here in the tree,” Kagome said with an embarrassed smile.
 
InuYasha gathered her into his arms, kissed her one last time, and jumped.
 
 
They had a quick breakfast of Ramen before they hit the road again. As they walked, they were discussing the possibilities of why the bear youkai had changed so much if it didn't have a jewel shard, or if the bear was still in the area at all. Kagome had told them her concerns as they walked because even though they were only a few hours away from the village now, she couldn't feel the presence of any shards. So, either the bear was no longer in the area, or there were no jewel shards. However, both Kagome and InuYasha were picking up the presence of a large youkai, and even InuYasha grudgingly admitted that if the bear youkai was still attacking the village, they needed to do something about it. He didn't push the issue that he wasn't really ready to jump to anyone's aid again just yet. Instead, he didn't act any worse than he usually did when they went to the aid of others that didn't involve shards of the Shikon no Tama.
 
They were still probably an hour or so away from the village when InuYasha stopped. He had been quiet for the last hour or more, and Kagome could tell there was something serious on his mind. InuYasha finally decided he needed to lay down a few rules before they reached the village.
 
“Oi, I need to say something,” as he turned towards his mate. “And Kagome, please don't argue with me about this.”
 
Kagome started to say something, but closed her mouth almost as quickly as she opened it and nodded. “What is it, InuYasha?”
 
“It's not a good idea to let the humans in this village know that we are mated,” InuYasha said seriously.
 
“But...but why?” Kagome asked, though she had some idea what was bothering him but wanted to hear it out loud.
 
“It's always bad enough when humans just see me with you three. If they find out we're mates, they'll probably come after both of us, but especially you, Kagome. They won't just be calling you `demon whore' or `slut,' they'll try to kill you,” InuYasha said softly, “and then me for tainting a miko. For once, trust me on this. Don't fight me. Do as I say so that everyone stays safe.”
 
“I know it hurts, but he is right, Kagome. It would be best if we keep your relationship a secret,” Sango said before looking pointedly at the monk, “and that includes snide remarks that may give it away. You will have to behave yourself, Houshi.”
 
“Kagome, what is it?” InuYasha asked worriedly.
 
Kagome was standing as though she were frozen, tears running down the sides of her face.
 
“Kagome, it is just when we are where we can be seen. It will be all right,” Sango said, thinking that the miko was upset because of InuYasha's decision.
 
“No...that...that's not it. InuYasha, can't you feel it? Can't you feel its pain?” Kagome said through her tears.
 
“You must be able to pick up more emotions than I do. What is it, Kagome?” InuYasha asked seriously while he wiped her tears away.
 
“I can feel a large youkai presence, but it's filled with pain. We have to see if we can help,” Kagome responded.
 
“All right, Kagome, we will,” InuYasha said as he leaned over so she could climb on his back while Kirara transformed so that Miroku and Sango could ride her. From Kagome's distress, InuYasha could tell that they needed to get there quickly.
 
InuYasha stopped before he got within sight of the village and let Kagome off of his back.
 
“Oi, Miroku, hop down and let Kagome ride with Sango. You can run with me,” InuYasha said. Miroku was pretty fast when he had to be.
 
Kagome felt a shudder go through the hanyou. “What is it, InuYasha?”
 
“I think that fucking priest is here. What's he doing in this village?” InuYasha asked.
 
“What priest?” Miroku asked.
 
“The one that sealed him in that cave,” Kagome said with anger in her voice. “Let's go.”
 
 
They arrived at a clearing on the outside of the village. The bear youkai they assumed they had heard about was there, screaming in agony as it took swipes at the men that surrounded it.
 
Kagome yelled at InuYasha from Kirara's back, “InuYasha, I want to get closer and see what's going on! That bear isn't really trying to hurt anyone, even though it's in a great deal of pain. Let's go, Sango.”
 
The priest that was leading the group of men that were after the bear saw Kagome and Sango approach after they jumped off of Kirara's back, and the firecat had transformed. “Look! A demon slayer and miko are coming to help rid us of this wretched youkai!”
 
“Priest, what have you done!” Kagome yelled.
 
“I have managed to get several ofuda on this evil bear youkai that has been attacking the village, but not enough to kill it yet. Surely you and the Demon Slayer will help rid us of its evil!”
 
“It was our understanding this bear used to be peaceful. What happened?” Sango asked.
 
“What…what do you mean?” the priest asked.
 
“She means did it ever attack anyone before you tried to play a fucking Kami and banish it just because it was a youkai!” InuYasha yelled as he approached the group along with Miroku.
 
“YOU!” The priest yelled. “YOU are the reason I was forced to leave my last village!”
 
“Why? Because you fucking sealed me and left me in a cave to die a slow and horrible death? How did they find out?” InuYasha shouted, not hiding his contempt for the priest.
 
Miroku raised an eyebrow. He did not miss InuYasha's choice of words.
 
“They chose to listen to the word of a youkai! He said he was your brother and that he would have killed all involved if you had not been saved! The village elder told me to leave because I tried to get rid of demon spawn!” the priest shouted.
 
“Sesshomaru, huh? So, what did you do to upset this bear?” InuYasha asked as he pointed at the youkai, which he noticed Sango and Kagome were trying to approach to get a better look at. “Oi, Kagome, be careful. She's not a pet!”
 
Kagome was now concentrating on the bear, not paying attention to anything else that was going on around her. The young miko reached out with her aura and gently brushed at the aura of the bear.
 
`You are one of THEM. You are like the one that did this to me!' the bear screamed in her mind.
 
`No, I'm not like them at all. Look, I travel with a hanyou and firecat. We usually have a kitsune with us as well. I want to help you,' Kagome replied as she kept her eyes on that of the bear youkai. `What have they done to you?'
 
`He managed to get one of those blasted pieces of paper stuck to me half a moon ago. I attacked the village in my anger but did not hurt anyone. I wanted someone to see it and get it off. But instead, he has come after me when I was asleep and put more on me. They hurt me. I never wanted to hurt anyone. I have lived here for hundreds of years in peace with this village. I have protected them from other youkai that would have attacked them. Why have they done this to me?' the bear replied.
 
`What is your name?' Kagome asked.
 
`Myoujou. How is it you can speak to me like this?'
 
`I don't know,' Kagome replied. `Will you let me help you? I won't hurt you. I can remove the ofuda.'
 
`Even if you killed me, it would be better than this,' Myoujou answered.
 
`InuYasha?'
 
InuYasha's eyes opened wide as he looked at his mate. “Kagome?”
 
`You don't need to speak out loud for me to hear you. Myoujou is going to let me help her. I don't want any of you to panic.'
 
InuYasha just nodded. This was a side effect he was totally unprepared for.
 
“Sango, you might want to step back just in case. I need to borrow Kirara,” Kagome warned, her eyes back on the bear youkai.
 
“Kirara, I need your help,” Kagome said to the firecat, who immediately transformed.
 
“It is another demon! They travel with youkai!” The priest yelled.
 
“Do you want us to end your problems with Myoujou or not!” Kagome yelled. “The only reason she's caused trouble is because YOU went and started throwing ofuda on her, attacking her in her sleep. She lived here for hundreds of years with no problems, not until YOU came here. She has only been trying to get the villagers' attention to help her. How many villagers has she harmed in spite of what you've done to her? Huh?”
 
“Why, she killed…” the priest started off.
 
“She has killed NO ONE, has she? You attacked her for no other reason than she is a youkai.” It was Miroku speaking this time. “Go ahead, Kagome, we will make certain that they do not interfere.”
 
“You, you are a MONK, and you travel with this…this…this abomination!” the priest was screaming again.
 
“Do you have any idea how many humans this abomination has saved? Why do you think he travels with a monk, a demon slayer and a miko? He does not travel with us, we travel with him! I assume it was because of your ignorance that we almost lost him. And here you are, doing more damage in what was a peaceful village,” Miroku stated.
 
While all of this was going on, Kagome had climbed onto Kirara's back. Then the firecat was airborne, flying in a pattern around Myoujou while Kagome was looking for ofuda. She found most of them plastered around the bear's hindquarters. It looked like the priest preferred sneaking up behind her and slapping one or two on before running, while the bear was asleep. Kagome reached out and ripped them off, one after the other.
 
“What is she doing!” the priest screamed again as Kagome ripped off the seals.
 
“She is freeing the youkai from the misery you put her in. You will NOT interfere,” Sango said, watching Kagome in awe.
 
“The only way to free the miserable beast it to kill it!” the priest shouted.
 
`Are there any more?' Kagome asked when she had pulled off all that she could find.
 
`There is one on my paw. I cannot touch it without burning myself further,' Myoujou responded.
 
`All right, which paw?'
 
The bear held out her left front paw. Kirara landed and Kagome walked up to Myoujou, amazed at just how large and sharp those claws looked.
 
“Be careful, Kagome,” InuYasha said softly.
 
Kagome rubbed the huge paw with her right hand as she ripped off the ofuda with her left. Just as where the other ofuda had been placed, the fur was burned away and the skin was raw.
 
`Will you be all right?' Kagome asked. `I can try to heal it for you if you want me to.'
 
`You have done enough. I should heal by morning now that those cursed things are gone,' Myoujou answered.
 
`We'll speak to the town elder about what happened to make certain it doesn't happen again. That priest only causes trouble wherever he goes,' Kagome assured her.
 
`Thank you, to you and your mate,' Myoujou said before she lumbered off.
 
“Get it, do not let it get away!” the priest was screaming again. “YOU! What kind of miko ARE you! Traveling with a hanyou and youkai, and then freeing the youkai that was attacking the village!”
 
The villagers behind the priest started to back away when they saw a very angry Kagome approaching him. The priest's eyes opened wide as he felt her energy crackle around her, her hair waving wildly as though there was a strong wind. “YOU. First you sealed InuYasha in a cave for trying to help a girl that he thought was hurt, and now you come here and attack an innocent bear youkai that has helped protect this village for centuries! She has never hurt a soul that has not intended harm to this village. Even when she was in pain, she was only trying to get someone's attention to get the ofuda off of her. And you are such a coward that you only attacked when she was asleep!”
 
“You…you…you are EVIL! You must be able to speak with the beasts if you know what happened!” The priest shouted before slapping his hand over his mouth.
 
“What was that?” This time it was a new voice from the crowd as an older gentleman came forward.
 
“She is pure evil! She is a dark miko, speaking with youkai and traveling with them!” the priest screamed.
 
“A dark miko traveling with a monk and a demon slayer?” the older man replied.
 
“It is her dark magic! She has them all under a spell!” the priest responded in earnest.
 
“I can assure you, good sir, that none of us are under any kind of spell. Kagome is the most pure-hearted miko you will ever meet. She only works with us to fight evil and help those in need,” Miroku stated.
 
By now Kagome had calmed down a bit, and her power had receded back into her body. “I am no dark miko, but this priest is stuck in his beliefs that all youkai are evil. That bear has helped to defend your village for centuries, whether you realize it or not. He tried to kill her just for being a youkai. All demons are not evil, just as all humans are not good. I believe he was expelled from his last village for placing a number of the villagers in danger.” Kagome had overheard the priest when he was yelling at InuYasha.
 
“Priest, return to the village. Do not go near the bear youkai again. We will talk before I decide whether you can stay or if you will have to leave,” the village elder said. “All of you, please return to your homes. There should be no more trouble.”
 
“Inu…Yasha,” whispered Kagome.
 
“Kagome!” InuYasha exclaimed as he rushed to catch the miko as she collapsed to the ground.
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
^~^
Myoujou = Morning Star