InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ There's A New Moon Tonight ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much for the reviews left so far! I read each and every one of them, and they inspire me to continue writing.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 3: There's A New Moon Tonight
 
 
Shippou walked outside wondering where everyone had disappeared to. Apparently, they had let him sleep right through breakfast and then went off and left him. Were they still mad at him after all? Following their trail, he found that it led along the path that went to the river to the area where they often went to bathe or just play in the water when it was hot. Picking up speed, he arrived at the protected spot to find that everyone was there, including Rin.
 
“Hey! You guys could have told me you were leaving!” the kitsune cried out to them.
 
“Well, Shippou, we tried to wake you, but you told us to go away. So we did,” Miroku answered him.
 
“I was asleep! You know I didn't mean it,” Shippou argued with a pout.
 
“Well, when you even told Rin to leave you alone we decided you must really need the sleep. And you must have, because it is nearly lunchtime,” Kaede informed him.
 
“Lunch!” Shippou exclaimed. “Let's eat!”
 
“It is almost time for lunch. It is not ready yet, Shippou,” Kaede answered.
 
The kitsune folded his lips in front of him and stuck his bottom lip out. “Keh.”
 
The others couldn't help but laugh as Miroku said, “You have definitely been hanging around InuYasha too much.”
 
“Feh,” Shippou responded.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“Show yourself. I know you are there,” Kikyou stated, with an arrow nocked and her bow drawn, facing her visitor.
 
“Now, now, now. Don't be hasty. I have not come to fight you,” Byakuya responded as he hovered on his crane above the undead miko, keeping a wary eye on her arrow.
 
“What do you want? State your business here,” Kikyou demanded.
 
“Naraku sent news he thought you might want to know,” the incarnation teased.
 
“What information could Naraku possibly have that I would be interested in,” Kikyou spat.
 
Byakuya chuckled. “Just news about the hanyou InuYasha.”
 
“What about him?” Kikyou's eyes narrowed as she glared at him.
 
“Do you want to know what he is doing with your reincarnation?” Byakuya taunted her.
 
“Why would I care what a hanyou does with a weak thing like her?” Kikyou was quickly losing what little patience she had.
 
“Funny you should say that. What would happen to her powers if she started fucking the hanyou like a wild animal in the forest, hum?”
 
Byakuya got no response other than increasingly narrowed eyes that were now boring a hole through him, so he continued, “Naraku says that you were weakened by becoming infatuated with InuYasha. So what will it do to a miko who has willingly become the whore of a hanyou? Now he will have to spend his time defending her since what pitiful little power she had is gone. What will you do about it? You have a clay body and will never be able to feel what she now has. Are you angry? Are you jealous? Will you exact revenge on your reincarnation for taking what is yours? Tell me, Kikyou, what will you do?”
 
“Where are they?” Kikyou's words were cold and calculated. Obviously, Naraku had no idea that InuYasha had taken Kagome as his mate and she was far more powerful now than before. The dark hanyou would probably try to make a move against them now if this obvious ploy did not work.
 
Byakuya backed his crane a little further away as he read what he thought was anger and hatred on the clay miko's face. “They have returned to the village they call home. Sesshomaru is already on his way there, probably to kill them both before they can weaken his bloodline any further. So, what will you do Kikyou?”
 
Kikyou drew her bow and fired an arrow as Byakuya flew away. `Good, he left. Naraku thinks that we will go to kill InuYasha and Kagome. He will be surprised when he learns the truth.'
 
“Kohaku.”
 
“Yes, Lady Kikyou.”
 
“It is time to go.”
 
“Yes, Lady Kikyou,” Kohaku replied as he dutifully followed the miko towards the village she used to consider her home.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kagome and InuYasha discovered that in addition to being famished, they were exhausted. Meditating all morning and concentrating on discovering their centers of power along with wrapping each other in their auras had flat worn them out. After they quietly ate the lunch that Mama had graciously held for them, they climbed the stairs to Kagome's room and then proceeded to pass out on her bed. That is where Mama found them before dinner, still curled around each other and once again glowing, though this time it was more of a fiery red than neon pink.
 
“Kagome?” Mama gently called, not wanting to startle the sleeping couple.
 
Kagome's response was to snuggle closer to her mate.
 
“InuYasha?” Mama said a little louder. “InuYasha.” Louder still.
 
That worked. She saw the golden eyes crack open.
 
“InuYasha, it is almost dinner time,” Mama told him.
 
“Keh. Kagome?” InuYasha squeezed his mate a little, enough to wake her up.
 
“Hum?”
 
“It's your mother. She said it is nearly time for dinner,” InuYasha stated. “Notice anything else?”
 
“Oh, wow. We're doing it again. And we were asleep this time. I wonder how?” Kagome questioned, and then asked, “Mama, will you see if you can touch me? I don't think this will hurt you since you are not a threat to us.”
 
“Are…are you certain?” her mother asked.
 
“Uh-huh,” Kagome replied, and InuYasha raised an eyebrow.
 
Mama walked over to the side of the bed and hesitantly reached out to touch her daughter. However, she was stopped before she reached her. The same thing happened when she tried to touch InuYasha.
 
“Well, that certainly is interesting. It seems we have a barrier around us,” Kagome told her.
 
“Do you know how?” Mama asked.
 
As InuYasha turned loose of his mate and sat up, the glow dissipated. “Try now,” he told her.
 
This time Mama was able to touch them both.
 
“Huh,” InuYasha stated.
 
“So did you do that?” Mama questioned.
 
“I must have,” InuYasha answered her.
 
“That was like the barrier you had around you when Kouga came. It was directly around your body, like your demonic aura had turned into one. Only this time, you included me,” Kagome said thoughtfully.
 
“But I still don't know what I did. I was asleep this time, though that is what I was thinking before I fell asleep,” InuYasha told them.
 
“What do you mean?” Kagome asked.
 
InuYasha gathered his thoughts before he answered. “Well, since I was able to find the center of my youki while we were working together this morning, I was thinking about what happened with Kouga. I was wondering if the monk and Kaede would be able to help me figure out how I created that barrier, or if Sesshomaru might know anything. That's all.”
 
“And in the process of thinking about it, you managed to do it again but included me as well. We'll have to ask when we go back,” Kagome responded.
 
“Well, dinner is nearly ready if you two are hungry. I know we had a late lunch, but Souta is ready to eat,” her mother told them.
 
“Okay, Mama. We'll be down in just a minute,” Kagome replied.
 
Mama closed the door behind her as she left. It didn't look like the surprises those two came up with would be over any time soon.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sango had stayed at the river, watching over Shippou and Rin as they played in the shallow water near the bank. Kaede and Miroku had moved to rest under a tree in the shade where they could still observe the area but have a more private conversation.
 
“Kaede?”
 
“Yes, Houshi?”
 
“Have you given any thought about working with Kagome and InuYasha? Do you think they will have practiced meditating to find their center of power before they return? And, do you believe they will have had any success?” Miroku asked.
 
The old miko responded, “Aye. I believe they will make an honest attempt because they both have the desire to protect each other, and Kagome hates it when she feels inadequate. InuYasha has always protected Kagome, and Kagome has always wanted to be stronger. Did you not tell me that she managed to create a barrier to defend herself?”
 
Miroku nodded as he answered, “Yes, she created a barrier twice that I am aware of. Once, to protect herself from the three bandits who attacked her and then the second time was when that insane priest told the men to strip her and expose what she was. That time she was angry enough that she knew what was going on around her, and she managed to include Sango as well. The first time she was so frightened by the men who attacked her that she had withdrawn into herself and was not aware we were in the room with her. It was fortunate that InuYasha was able to get through to her.”
 
“And InuYasha?”
 
Miroku rubbed the back of his neck. “Just the one time that I know of when Kouga tried to grab Kagome. InuYasha was more youkai than hanyou when he did it. His barrier was not like one that we erect, though. To us, it appeared that his demonic aura had turned into one to protect his body from harm. I have never seen anything like it. Even when Naraku has erected a barrier, it has been more of the type that we project. InuYasha's barrier actually allowed him to keep Kouga pinned against a tree, but kept the wolf from hurting him when he tried to get loose. It could be very useful in a fight if he can gain control of it.”
 
“Do you think he must be more youkai as he was then in order to do it?” Kaede asked.
 
The monk responded, “I do not know. Even though we could see his demonic markings, he was not in full blood lust aiming to kill everything in his path. InuYasha was able to keep enough control to subdue Kouga without destroying him. It took a lot to keep from slaughtering him, which I am certain was what he would have done were it not for Kagome. InuYasha told us afterwards that he knew Kagome would not want him to kill Kouga, but he didn't want to get hurt while trying to knock some sense into him. Somehow, that translated into his aura creating a barrier directly around his body to protect him.”
 
Kaede did not say anything as she thought about what Miroku had told her. Finally she asked, “So can we expect any more surprises?”
 
“I do not know. Myouga showed up on the way here and we were able to get some information out of him. Most of what he could tell us was that this is unchartered territory. Apparently very few hanyou ever live to adulthood, much less take a mate. Here we have a hanyou that has such strong demonic blood that he has to carry a seal for it with him, mated to a miko who is powerful in her own right. The fact that Kagome is untrained just adds to the mystery. Even Myouga seemed surprised at some of the changes the two have experienced. He was also astonished to learn that InuYasha had inherited his father's Inu-youkai telepathic abilities and then passed them along to his mate,” the monk replied.
 
“Where is that flea when you need him?” Kaede wondered out loud.
 
Miroku chuckled. “When he heard Lord Sesshomaru was coming to work with InuYasha and Kagome, he caught the first bird out of the village. He is terrified of him.”
 
“Where is Lord Sesshomaru?” Kaede asked. “I can feel his presence, so he is not too far away.”
 
“He has stayed in the vicinity of the well and the Tree of Ages. I think he may have been doing some meditating of his own when I saw him last. He almost looked asleep, but I could tell he was thinking so I did not disturb him. I suspect that we will have to wait our turn. Lord Sesshomaru will probably want to work with them on their telepathic abilities first,” Miroku told her.
 
“Well, unless there are rumors of a jewel shard or Naraku, there is no reason for us to rush. It might also be a good time for you to work out your issues with Sango,” Kaede stated wisely. “And at some point, someone needs to sit down with Shippou. Not only does he make inappropriate remarks regarding InuYasha's relationship with Kagome, but he has been paying a great deal of attention to Rin.”
 
Miroku laughed. “He pays attention to every cute girl we have come across in our travels. I never knew anyone to fall in and out of love so quickly.”
 
“Yes, but those other girls were not the ward of the Taiyoukai of the Western Lands,” Kaede responded.
 
Miroku only nodded in response as he scratched his chin and looked over to where the kit in question was playing with the young girl.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome started the following morning meditating in the well house as they had intended. What they had not planned on was lighting it up like a Christmas tree from the inside. Fortunately, the glow wasn't too obvious in the morning sun. At Mama's suggestion, since they were not as exhausted as they were the day before, after lunch they went through the gate to the small private forest that was part of the shrine grounds. After Kagome closed the gate behind them, InuYasha took her hand and led her to a clearing.
 
“You seem to know your way around pretty well out here,” Kagome commented.
 
“Keh. I don't spend all of my time sitting in Goshinboku,” her hanyou told her as he plopped bonelessly to the ground.
 
Kagome sat down in front of him, facing him again with her legs crossed. This time, InuYasha placed his hands palms up and Kagome laid her small hands over them.
 
“Ready?” Kagome asked softly.
 
“Keh,” InuYasha responded.
 
Once again, they each closed their eyes and begin to concentrate. Kagome found her power that was concentrated around her heart even faster this time; it was almost as though it had gained in strength. Reaching into herself, she thought about not just herself but about her mate as he gently squeezed her hands.
 
InuYasha was having more trouble now than he had before. He was getting frustrated trying to find the center of his youki, even though he knew where to look. He could feel the power of Kagome wrapping around him, surrounding him with love and protection; however this time, he was unable to do the same.
 
“Fuck!” he exclaimed in frustration, causing Kagome to loose her concentration and her aura to recede.
 
Kagome could tell the hanyou was agitated, so she did not chide him for causing her to loose her focus. “What is it, InuYasha?”
 
“I can't find my fucking center. You feel like you are getting stronger, but I can't find mine hardly at all now, and I know where to look. What the fuck is wrong with me?”
 
“So…so you felt it too? That I feel like I'm getting stronger?” Kagome asked quietly.
 
“Yeah. Why the fuck are you getting stronger, and I'm losing it? I don't feel like you purified me or anything.” InuYasha had gotten up and was now pacing around the grove.
 
Kagome stood up and walked to where InuYasha had stopped, wrapping her arms around him while trying to calm him down. InuYasha let out an audible sigh and wrapped his arms around his mate, resting his chin on the top of her head.
 
“What's wrong with me?” he asked again.
 
“InuYasha, you were doing really well. It must just be temporary; maybe we overdid it this morning,” Kagome offered.
 
“But if we overdid it, why does it feel like you are gaining in strength?” InuYasha asked.
 
“I don't know unless…InuYasha!” Kagome exclaimed, and then said much softer, “Maybe it has to do with the new moon. Don't your youkai senses start to fade during the day?”
 
“Well, yeah…” InuYasha answered.
 
“What if that is all it is - your youki is fading because tonight is the new moon. What if I become stronger now that we are mates so that I can help protect you? Our powers balanced each other before; we almost seemed to be equal in what we were able to do with each other. My power must be increasing because yours is fading as we approach nightfall. I'll bet in the morning when you return to your normal strength, I will as well.” Almost unconsciously, Kagome reached out to stroke her mate's youki with her own miko aura. Indeed, it was receding back into his gut where it was strongest as her aura became even more powerful to reach out and wrap around him, once again surrounding him with feelings of love and protection.
 
InuYasha relaxed as she enveloped him in her aura. He could feel her strength in it as well as her love for him. He had allowed her to help protect him ever since she first learned of his deepest secret, and it looked like that would not be changing any time soon. So he reached down and kissed her to show how he felt about her since she could not feel it as strongly through his youki now.
 
They finally had to pull apart for air. InuYasha pulled his mate tightly against him as he said, “I hope you're right. I guess we won't know until morning.”
 
Kagome reached up to kiss him gently before she said, “I'm sure I am. I think we've done all we can for today, so we might as well go in.”
 
InuYasha kissed her again, “So soon?”
 
“Remember? I've got plans for tonight,” Kagome said huskily. “Let's see if Mama needs any help with dinner, alright?”
 
“Keh.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Rin and Shippou ran towards Sango, each panting from their exertion both in and out of the water. “Sango, Sango!” the kitsune called as they slid to a halt in front of her.
 
“What is it, Shippou?” Sango asked.
 
“Rin said that Jaken and Ah-Un are just down the river. She would like to go and see them. Is that alright?” Shippou asked.
 
Sango raised an eyebrow - Shippou was asking for permission to do something? “Is that what you want to do, Rin?”
 
Rin nodded. “Rin is worried about Master Jaken. He can become most melancholy when left alone too long.”
 
Sango giggled. Rin had definitely been hanging around Lord Sesshomaru too much. “All right, you two. But take Kirara with you, and stay out of trouble.”
 
“We will!” Shippou called back as he and Rin bounced out of sight, Kirara's twin tails bobbing in the high grass behind them. Sango just shook her head.
 
“Do you think those two will ever wear out?” Miroku asked as he approached the demon slayer, causing her to jump.
 
“I'm sorry, I did not mean to startle you,” he added.
 
“What do you want, Houshi?” Sango asked rather harshly.
 
“May I sit?” the monk requested.
 
“Only if you keep your hands to yourself,” the slayer responded.
 
Miroku sat just out of Sango's reach. Well, actually so the demon slayer was out of his reach. “Sango?”
 
“What is it.”
 
Miroku sighed. “What do you want me to do? I have tried to act right by you. I have not groped any of the village girls nor asked any to bear my child. I know I behaved poorly in the other village after the women returned, but I have been trying to make amends for my transgressions.” He asked again, “What do you want me to do?”
 
Sango's shoulders slumped and she drew her knees up in front of her, wrapping her arms around them. She had practically buried her face in them when she replied, “I do not know. I do not know what I want, Houshi. I just cannot trust you. Yes, you have been behaving yourself for the last few days, but how long will it last? I cannot believe…”
 
“Cannot believe, what, Sango?” Miroku asked gently.
 
The dark haired woman next to him shook her head as she buried her face in her knees, “Nothing, Houshi. Nothing at all.”
 
Miroku fell silent as he watched Sango. He had to find a way to get through to her. If nothing else, he knew that they would both start feeling lonely and isolated when they started traveling again. There was simply no avoiding the fact that InuYasha and Kagome's mating had changed the dynamics of the group. It was going to be very lonely going if things remained the way they currently were.
 
 
 
Rin and Shippou followed the river to the pasture of sweet grass where Ah-Un and Jaken were told to wait by Lord Sesshomaru for his return. They were running when Rin spotted Ah-Un stretched out in the grass, snoozing in the warm sun. Rin slowed to a walk as she looked for Jaken.
 
“Where is Master Jaken?” Rin asked. She could not see him in the tall grass.
 
Shippou decided to put his recently learned skills to use and reached out to feel for Jaken. When his nose confirmed what he felt, he started walking with Rin following behind.
 
The kit sniggered when he found the imp. “There he is, Rin. Should we wake him?”
 
Jaken was stretched out flat on his back not far from Ah-Un, with the Staff of Two Heads still gripped in his hand as he napped.
 
Rin shook her head. “No, Master Jaken must need his rest. We will come back later and see if he is awake. Let us go back to the others.”
 
Shippou badly wanted to go and scare the toad, but Rin tugged at his hand and started back the way they came. Maybe later…
 
 
 
Miroku was surprised when he realized that Sango had scooted a little closer to him. At least, he didn't remember them being this close to each other. Now she was within easy reach of his hand.
 
“Sango?” the monk asked hesitantly.
 
Sango did not answer but had her face buried in her knees, so Miroku closed the remaining distance between them. He carefully reached out and put his arm around her at the shoulder. When he did, he realized that she was almost silently sobbing. Becoming braver, he begin to gently rub her back, making certain to go no lower than the small of her back no matter how much he was tempted to do otherwise.
 
“Sango, what's wrong?” he questioned gently.
 
At first he received no reply, so he kept rubbing her back as he watched her shoulders heave with her sobs. And he waited.
 
Sango finally sat up, brushing her tears away and her hair out of her face, though she did not face him. “What is wrong with me?” she said so softly that the monk's human ears could barely hear her.
 
Miroku had withdrawn his hand to his own lap when Sango sat up and had it firmly clasped in the other as to make certain he did not upset her further. “What do you mean, Sango? There is nothing wrong with you.”
 
The demon slayer sat in silence for a minute before she finally spoke. “Yes…yes there is. I realized I was so jealous of Kagome I was actually wishing InuYasha would do something to hurt her. And then I felt guilty when I actually felt happy with you for that time we were at the inn. I was almost relieved when you returned to your womanizing ways so I would have something to hold against you. I keep saying I do not trust you, but in my heart I know that is not true. I trust you with my life even if I do not trust your hand. I did not have to feel guilty if I were angry with you.”
 
“Sango, what do you have to feel guilty about? Do you not deserve to be at least a little happy? And why would you want InuYasha to hurt Kagome?” Miroku asked with a frown.
 
“I almost feel that I have lost Kagome as my friend since she spends all of her time with InuYasha now. And I felt guilty being happy with you because…because…” but Sango couldn't finish.
 
“Because of what, Sango?” Miroku prodded gently. He thought they were finally getting somewhere.
 
Sango buried her face into her knees again and he barely heard her say, “Kohaku.”
 
“You feel guilty when you feel happy because you are worried about Kohaku,” Miroku clarified.
 
Sango just nodded into her knees.
 
“Sango, we are pretty certain that he is still with Kikyou. You know she will not willingly let anything happen to him. She will not let Naraku get him back if she can help it. She has been protecting him and keeping the jewel shard that is in his back purified so Naraku cannot control him,” Miroku offered.
 
Sango looked up again and practically whispered, “I know. But what about after…what happens after we meet Naraku for the last time? We do not know if he will live or die. And if he lives, will he really want to with the memories of what he has done?”
 
Miroku reached out and wrapped his arm around her shoulder again. “Sango, we have no idea what will happen. If he dies, then we will make certain he his properly buried so his soul can find peace. If he lives, then we will have to do the best we can to make him understand that we know it was not his fault and that we forgive him. He will be welcome in our home. If he wishes to live with us, he can stay.”
 
Sango finally turned her head to look at the monk. “You really mean that? He could stay with us if he survives?”
 
Miroku nodded. “He is the only family you have. We could do no less.”
 
“And Kagome? Why am I so jealous of her? She was so miserable for so long, and now that she is happy I can hardly stand it,” Sango said softly.
 
“Sango, those two have been fighting the inevitable for ages. I think you and she got used to banding together against me and InuYasha, and you feel like you have lost that. Do not drive her away from you. She is still your friend even though InuYasha is now her mate. Believe me, if they are like any other married couple they will still have their ups and downs, and she will still need a friend to come to. There will also be those times, just like before, when she will want another girl to talk to, and I am certain that she would want it to be you. And you know from our last trip that InuYasha does not want the humans in the villages we travel through to know that they are mated, so you and she will need to act just like you always did before.”
 
They sat in silence for a minute before the monk continued, “Honestly, at first I really was somewhat jealous of InuYasha. Then I started to realize what he must have lived with his entire life. He deserves someone to love him as he is, without wanting to change him. InuYasha was very lonely for a very long time. His feelings for Kikyou developed from the fact she was the first to ever just sit and speak with him. They were two lonely souls that needed some form of companionship. And even then, Kikyou wanted InuYasha to become human. No, Kagome is the first to ever truly accept him. Even though I may be envious of the relationship they obviously have now, I have decided not to be jealous, but to try and do something productive instead.”
 
“Like what?” Sango asked with a fair amount of uncertainty.
 
Miroku hesitated before he answered, but then decided to just throw it out there. “To win your heart, Sango, and your trust. It will be very lonely indeed on our next venture if things continue the way they are right now. I told you how I felt back at that inn, Sango. That has not changed.”
 
Sango closed her eyes and a few tears were squeezed out. Miroku reached over and brushed them from her face before he leaned into her, kissing her gently.
 
Sango's body betrayed her and responded to the monk's soft kiss. She found herself wrapping her hands in his hair and opening her mouth to let his tongue in to explore. Their tongues were in a gentle battle when they heard shouting and Shippou yelling.
 
Miroku and Sango jolted apart and jumped up, running towards the shouting. They were not pleased when they discovered what had so rudely interrupted them.
 
They arrived in the area where Jaken and Ah-Un had been left by Lord Sesshomaru. Kaede came running up as fast as her old legs would carry her, and Sesshomaru landed in the clearing as well. Fortunately, Rin was far enough back that she was out of harm's way.
 
“What is the meaning of this,” Sesshomaru demanded.
 
“My Lord! I thought we were under attack,” Jaken started off. “I only defended myself.”
 
The group looked at Shippou, who looked like every hair on his body had been singed, and his clothing had burns.
 
Kaede, having some idea of who the culprit was here, asked, “Well, Shippou?”
 
“I…I didn't mean anything!” the kitsune declared.
 
“What did you do?” Kaede questioned rather firmly.
 
“I…I just wanted to scare him…” Shippou said, almost under his breath.
 
“Rin.” Sesshomaru had spoken.
 
“Yes, My Lord?”
 
“What happened here?” Sesshomaru knew that Rin would not lie to him.
 
“Rin wanted to come and check on Master Jaken and Ah-Un, but they were asleep so we started back to the others. Shippou said that he dropped his top and told me to wait while he went to find it. The next thing I saw was Master Jaken jumping up with his staff. Kirara transformed and jumped in front of me so I did not see any more,” Rin replied.
 
Now all eyes were once again staring at the kitsune.
 
“So Shippou, you thought to scare Jaken while he was asleep, and almost got killed for your trouble,” Kaede deduced.
 
Shippou hung his head. “It was supposed to be a joke.”
 
“It appears that it was not so funny. Do you have any serious burns?” the old miko asked him.
 
Shippou shook his head. He was more embarrassed than anything. Fortunately for him, since kitsune produced foxfire, his fur was somewhat fire retardant if not actually fireproof. It was also fortunate that Jaken had not used the Staff of Two Heads to its full effect since he was not completely awake.
 
“You are lucky that Lord Sesshoumaru did not give you another lashing,” Miroku commented.
 
Shippou frantically looked around. “Where did he go?”
 
Sango said, “Well, he disappeared as quickly as he came. I guess he decided that no one was in any danger - lucky for you, Shippou. Maybe he thought having every hair on your body burned was good enough that he did not feel the need to remove another strip of hide from your butt.”
 
Shippou let out a sigh of relief before Kaede told him, “Well, you had better go back in the water and rinse yourself off. See if you can reduce that scent of burning hair you have now. Even better, go back to the hut and get some of that soap Kagome left, and take a good bath. Do not return until you smell better.”
 
Once Sesshomaru had disappeared, Jaken decided to find another spot to rest. The toad imp was mumbling something about kitsune youkai being more trouble than humans as he shuffled along to find a place in the shade.
 
Rin ran after him. “Master Jaken, Master Jaken, are you all right? You were not hurt, were you?”
 
Jaken stopped and turned, looking at the little girl. No others were within immediate earshot so he said, “No Rin, I was not harmed. No puny kit could hurt me while I have the Staff of Two Heads. He startled me, that is all.”
 
“Are you certain that you are all right? You are not lonely out here with just Ah-Un, are you?” Rin asked the toad.
 
“Jaken waits to serve his Lord. You run along with the other humans now,” the imp told her.
 
“All right, Master Jaken. I will come back to see you again,” Rin told him before she ran back to the others.
 
“Don't bring the kitsune with you,” Jaken mumbled under his breath as he watched her bounce away from him.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Mama Higurashi could tell that InuYasha was a bit agitated when they came in to ask if she needed any help with dinner. She knew they had been working hard the last two days, so she decided a break in the routine would do them both some good. She had given Kagome the grocery list and some money and sent them both to the store.
 
InuYasha had actually placed the black bandana around his ears and put on his sandals without complaint. At the moment, he was more annoyed by the fact that in a couple more hours the sun would vanish behind the horizon along with his ears, claws and fangs. He felt Kagome squeeze his hand and he looked to see her smiling gently at him.
 
“What?” he asked.
 
“Nothing, just thinking about tonight,” Kagome commented.
 
InuYasha stopped. He said very softly, “Kagome, would you prefer me to be human?” `Dammit, I hate it when I start losing control of my emotions,' he thought.
 
Kagome had also learned over time that InuYasha was more likely to let things slip when he was human, as well as right before. “No, InuYasha, I don't prefer it. It is simply part of who you are.” She leaned in and whispered, “Beside, you know I love your ears. It's just that I feel like I got three for the price of one.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Well, there is the regular hanyou you, which I adore; and then there is the human you, which makes all these cute little noises when we make love; and then there is your youkai, that can keep at it all night. It's like I got three mates in one. Your human half and youkai half only get to come out one night a month to play, so I don't want them to feel neglected,” Kagome told him and then started walking in the direction of the market again.
 
“So…”
 
Kagome stopped again to answer. “InuYasha, I prefer the hanyou you. As much as I enjoyed being with you under the full moon, one night of that a month is probably all my puny human body can handle. And I would never want you to remain human unless it was something that you desired. I know you feel weak and inadequate when you are mortal, and I know you hate how you feel overrun with your own emotions. While your human half and youkai half are each part of you, they are better together. Understand?”
 
InuYasha just nodded, so Kagome interlaced her fingers with his again and continued in the direction they were headed.
 
As they approached the grocery store, InuYasha asked, “Do you think we will run into those crazy friends of yours again?”
 
Kagome shook her head as the automatic doors opened and they went in. “This is out of their way, and I think they gave up on the twins. Apparently the girls weren't their type.”
 
“What do you mean?” InuYasha asked about the time a very handsome boy approached them.
 
“May I help you with anything?” the boy wearing the uniform of the store asked him as his double arrived at his side.
 
“Yes, is there anything we can help you with?” the second asked as he looked InuYasha over.
 
Kagome reached over and gripped her mate's hand that she had dropped when they entered the store. “No thank you. I come here all of the time and know pretty much where everything is.”
 
The boys replied together, both still staring at InuYasha, “Well, do not hesitate to ask if there is anything, anything at all, we can do for you.”
 
InuYasha was starting to get the creeps as Kagome answered, “Thank you, my fiancé and I will remember that.”
 
Kagome tried not to laugh at the expression on InuYasha's face as the boys vanished around a corner. She leaned over and whispered, “I mean that you are more their type.”
 
InuYasha shook himself, trying to get rid of the feeling of bugs crawling over his skin. “Oh.”
 
 
To be continued…