InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ Special Delivery ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews left so far. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one. . They do inspire me to write faster. And don't forget to check at doggieearlover.livejournal.com/79210.html for responses to your reviews for chapter 17. I do try to answer your questions, as long as it doesn't give too much away.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 18: Special Delivery
 
Byakuya had been right to be afraid to return to Naraku empty handed. At the moment he was wondering if he would survive or go the way of the previous incarnations. Though he was not sure what had happened to Kanna, he knew that Kagura had been killed by the vile hanyou's own hand.
 
“What do you mean, you could not find them!” Naraku roared.
 
“I searched the Demon Slayer village completely, and there was no sign that anyone had been there in many moons. The place was completely over-grown and run down. There was no sign of any humans there,” the incarnation told him.
 
“Where else could they be? You said they were not at the village that InuYasha and Kikyou are from!” the dark hanyou shouted.
 
“Well, no, that's not exactly what I said,” Byakuya stated. “I said that I did not see either of them there.”
 
An evil grin crossed Naraku's face, and his incarnation gasped for air as he clutched his chest. “If you wish to live, find them,” he ordered. “Do not return until you know where they are.”
 
Byakuya nodded his head in understanding as he produced a paper crane and threw it down. A moment later, he was airborne.
 
`Is this what happens to everyone who obeys him? Even though I followed his directions exactly as he gave them, he threatens my life? I am starting to understand Kagura's choice,' he thought to himself as he headed away from Naraku. He didn't even know where he was going; he just wanted to get away from the vile hanyou that ruled him. At least, for now.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
The hanyou and miko had been back in the past for a number of days, alternating between working with Sesshomaru, and then Kaede, Miroku, and Kikyou (when she decided to make an appearance). At the moment, they were testing InuYasha's barrier that he could now project around himself at will. Suddenly, they all stopped and looked towards the sky when they felt a demonic aura approach them from above.
 
Kaede couldn't miss the broad grin that spread across Kagome's face as the unlikely pair sailed towards them. The old miko had to admit that she had never seen a sight quite like Totosai astride his flying bull.
 
They noticed that the sword smith had suddenly halted his forward motion and was sort of hovering in place. InuYasha's red aura dissipated when he realized why everyone had stopped and waved at the old youkai to come down. However, Totosai didn't budge until Sesshomaru, who had abruptly appeared in the clearing, also indicated that he could land. It was clear that the old master still had a healthy respect for, and fear of, the Taiyoukai.
 
 
“Totosai ojii-san!” Kagome called as the three-eyed bull floated downward towards the earth. “How are you?”
 
Before he could answer, the hanyou was asking, “Were you able to do it?”
 
“You know I was, sonny. Have I failed you yet?” Totosai responded. “Let's see, where did I put them…” he said as he rummaged around until he produced the same piece of cloth that InuYasha had carried the shards from Tessaiga to him in.
 
“Here they are,” he said as he leaned over to hand them to InuYasha, but Shippou appeared out of nowhere and snatched them from his hand.
 
“What's this, InuYasha?” the kit teased, waving the cloth with his precious rings around.
 
“Hey, you! What do you think you're doing!” Totosai yelled at him.
 
“Shippou, this isn't funny. Give it back,” Kagome said as calmly as she could; she could feel her mate's youkai rising at the kit's actions.
 
“No! Not until you promise to spend more time with me!” the kitsune yelled back.
 
“Return it,” they heard in a voice they barely recognized, and realized that InuYasha was flaring with anger, his youki crackling around him. The kitsune had snatched what belonged to him and his mate, and was trying challenge him by way of blackmailing them to get his way.
 
“Now,” he ordered as he stepped towards Shippou.
 
“Shippou, give it back, right this minute, before this gets any worse for you,” Kagome said softly. “I'm very disappointed in you. I thought you had learned better by now.”
 
Shippou heard the disappointment in Kagome's voice and felt the power of the hanyou's youki. His fur bristled and stood straight out when he realized that he had just made a horrible mistake. He thought this would be funny, and that he might get more time with Kagome out of it. He didn't expect anything like the reaction he received.
 
The kitsune immediately groveled at InuYasha's feet. “I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry,” he cried as he held the cloth in front of him to give it to its rightful owner. He squeezed his eyes shut when he felt his body leave the ground it was plastered to, expecting the worst. He was surprised when he felt a not too gentle thump on the nose before the cloth was removed from his hand.
 
“Don't do it again, runt,” InuYasha said so softly that only Shippou and Sesshomaru picked up what he was saying. “I know Kagome hasn't been able to spend time with you like she promised, but we have to learn all this shit before Naraku shows up. And you're gonna have to get over the fact that she's my mate. That ain't going to change, ever. Understand?”
 
Shippou nodded in response, his eyes still closed.
 
InuYasha shook the kit in his hand. “Open your eyes, and say it so I can hear you. This is the last time I'll tolerate the likes of that from you. Don't think I don't know what you were trying to do, but we'll discuss that later.”
 
The kit opened his eyes and looked into the still angry eyes of the hanyou. “I'm sorry. I didn't think…”
 
“Go to the hut and stay there until we come back. Got it?” InuYasha ordered.
 
“Yes, InuYasha,” Shippou replied, lowering his eyes to the ground again. He landed on his feet when the hanyou dropped him and with his shoulder, ears, and tail drooping, he slowly started along the path to Kaede's hut.
 
Sango and Rin had come running when Shippou took off like he had in the middle of their lesson. Rin just shook her head at the kit as he passed her, but then her face brightened up when she saw Sesshomaru. She ran to stand quietly by his side to see what was going on.
 
“Well, don't just stand there, take a look,” Totosai said as he hopped down.
 
Everyone gathered around to look at what InuYasha had in his hand. However, he didn't unwrap the cloth until Kagome was next to him.
 
“They're beautiful!” his mate exclaimed as InuYasha pulled the corners of the fabric away, leaving the two rings sitting on it in the palm of his hand.
 
The rings may have been demon forged from InuYasha's fang, shards from Tessaiga, hairs from Kagome's head, and bonded in blood, but they looked like they were made of white gold and diamonds. Delicately set in the band was a tree that wrapped around so that the tip overlapped the trunk where they met. The leaves glittered just like diamond chips, since they were in fact made of the shards from Kongousouha Tessaiga. The fine limbs and trunk of the tree were fashioned from the strands of the miko's hair, though they looked like the product of fine engraving.
 
“It looks like-” Sango started as she stared at the rings and then at Totosai in awe.
 
“Goshinboku,” Kagome finished for her. “This had to have been InuYasha's idea.” She cupped the hanyou's face in her hands and pulled his lips to hers for a kiss right there in front of everyone. “Thank you,” she whispered, when she let him go.
 
“Keh.” InuYasha couldn't help but to blush. Though he had to admit, Totosai had done a fine job with them.
 
“Now, I have a couple of things I need to tell you about them,” Totosai said, “in private.”
 
“Well, we need to go and check on our dinner,” Kaede offered. “Let us go back, shall we?”
 
Sesshomaru looked at the pleading face of Rin staring up at him. “This Sesshomaru will return Rin to your care soon.” And with that, he led her away in the direction of the river, where Jaken and Ah-Un were waiting.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Byakuya decided that since the humans were probably traveling on foot, then maybe they simply had not made it as far as the demon slayers' village at the time he had searched it. Since Naraku had ordered him not to return until he found them, and he was in no hurry go back anyway, the incarnation returned to the run-down village and begin to back track towards the village that InuYasha was from. If they were traveling here on foot, then surely, he would eventually come across them. He stayed close to the ground and moved slowly so that he would not miss the pair if he crossed paths with them.
 
As his eyes raked across the landscape, looking for any sign of Sango and Kohaku, he rubbed his chest as he recalled the pain he felt when Naraku punished him for being the bearer of bad news. That was when it suddenly occurred to him that he really liked being alive. He enjoyed flying freely to observe and report, and detested it the couple of times he had been asked to get his own hands dirty by becoming involved in a fight. But he also wondered, could he still live if Naraku were defeated? If he were born of the dark hanyou's own flesh, would he survive his death? It had never even crossed his mind to betray his master, but after the callous way he had been treated, the thought had flittered briefly through him.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“Spit it out, old man. What's wrong with them?” InuYasha asked.
 
“What's wrong with what?” Totosai responded.
 
Kagome caught InuYasha's hand before he bopped the old demon on the noggin. “What did you have to tell us about the rings?”
 
The sword smith scratched his head. “Rings? What rings? Oh, you mean the bands!”
 
Kagome was rubbing InuYasha's palm with her thumb to try to keep him calm as she spoke, “Yes, the bands, Totosai ojii-san.”
 
“They have some special properties you should know about. Now, I'm still not sure exactly what happened, but I know they can help you two connect with each other over a great distance. They were glowing like the pup here was the night of the full moon. You said you wanted them to help with that.” He directed his statement at InuYasha.
 
InuYasha nodded and then reddened again at the memories of the last full moon. “Anything else,” he asked, trying to be polite and remain calm for Kagome's sake.
 
Totosai nodded. “You said that these are for a human marriage ceremony. I didn't know exactly what this ceremony is, so I sealed them two ways with the blood you gave me. Anyone will be able to place the band on your finger, just in case it was needed for the human ceremony. They will adjust themselves to fit once you have them on. However, only you or your mate can remove them. No one else will be able to remove it from your hand. Even if they cut your finger off, it will remain bonded to you. Your band can only be separated from you by your own free will.”
 
“So, you mean my grandfather can place the rings on our fingers, or we can place them on each other during the ceremony?” Kagome clarified. “But no one else will be able to take them off, once they're on?”
 
“That's what I said, isn't it?” Totosai answered. “You two will be the only ones that can remove those bands from your fingers, period. I figured it was a healthy precaution considering the power you displayed during the full moon. It was apparent that you had a lot without them, but it gives your natural energy a boost. Any enemy with a lick of sense will try to get them off if he figures out what they are for.”
 
“Thanks, old man,” InuYasha said, and truly meant it.
 
“Eh. It was actually fun to try something new. Who knows, there might be a market for something like this some day. I mean if it worked for a hanyou mated to a miko, it ought to work for demons that need an extra boost for some reason, too,” the old master said thoughtfully.
 
“Yeah, you just never know,” Kagome said, trying to stifle a giggle. “Thank you very much, Totosai ojii-san. They really are beautiful.”
 
“Well, you guessed it when you said that your mate here must have designed them. I just forged what he asked me to. Now, either wear those, or put them somewhere for safekeeping, because I don't know if I could create them again. It was a lot harder than forging a sword.”
 
InuYasha nodded as he wrapped the rings back up and then placed them inside of his kimono against his body. When they returned to the future, he would ask Kagome's mother to put them away for safekeeping, like she had done with the shards until they were ready for them.
 
“Come on, old man, if you're hungry. We have a boar that should be ready soon. You can have some, if you promise not to eat the whole thing,” InuYasha told him.
 
The hanyou felt his neck sting and slapped it, revealing a now flattened Myouga. “I thought you might have hitched a ride with Totosai,” he said to the flea.
 
“Lord InuYasha, Lady Kagome! Your bonds appear to continue to become stronger,” the tiny youkai commented. “Well, that is to be expected, of course.”
 
“What do you mean?” Kagome asked, peering at InuYasha's hand where he stood.
 
“Well, you know… the more often you mate, the more powerful your bond will become. All I can say is that it is even stronger than when I saw you last. And the display that InuYasha gave us the night of the full moon was most impressive. You are both more powerful than many full youkai,” Myouga said thoughtfully.
 
The flea's bluntness made both of them turn red.
 
“It is nothing to be embarrassed about. It is simply the sign of a healthy relationship, and a good pairing,” he added.
 
“If you say so,” Kagome mumbled, still bright red at the thought he was talking about how often they had sex.
 
Even now, they went out every night for at least one coupling in the forest before they turned in. In fact, they thought that was one of the reasons Kouga had taken off with his wolves again. He couldn't stand hearing them together, reminding him of what he could not have. Though at least the ookami prince did say he was having trouble just sitting around and waiting, and was going out to search for information on Naraku again.
 
“Well, quit the jabbering and let's eat,” Totosai interjected, with a loud rumble from his stomach.
 
 
It was an odd group that gathered around the fire at Kaede's hut. Totosai's bull had gone to join Ah-Un to graze in the sweet grass near the river, and Sesshomaru and Rin had returned after she had a chance to say hello to Jaken and the two-headed dragon. InuYasha did warn everyone to get some of the meat before Totosai did, just in case he grabbed the whole carcass and stuffed it down his gullet. However, with Lord Sesshomaru sitting nearby, the old sword smith resigned himself to taking an entire hindquarter instead, which was fairly large since it was a good size boar.
 
“Well, at least he left some for us, this time,” Sango commented.
 
“You mean he can really…” Kaede started, staring at the scrawny demon in amazement.
 
“Yeah. One of the first times we ran across him, we were practically starving. InuYasha had managed to find one little pig for us to share. Totosai announced that it was ready, and then proceeded to stick the entire thing down his throat. We learned he is one exception to allowing company to go first,” Kagome commented.
 
There was a slap followed by a small, “Ow!”
 
“And then there are those that take a meal uninvited,” Miroku commented as he pulled Myouga off of his neck.
 
“Well, fleas have to eat, too, you know,” the tiny youkai replied when he popped back into shape. “Your blood is quite tasty. This was the first time I've tried it where you didn't have toxins mixed in it.”
 
“Take my word for it, flattery will get you nowhere,” the monk replied.
 
Myouga sighed. “Such is the life of a flea.”
 
“And I'm just misunderstood,” Miroku responded.
 
 
Shippou had been unusually quiet this evening. He had ventured out of Kaede's hut long enough to get a hunk of meat but had then returned to sulking in private. He didn't even have to say anything to know that the hanyou was still angry with him, because he could feel it radiating from his youki.
 
Acting without thinking had gotten Shippou into trouble again, and he was lucky that he still had his hide. The kitsune had inadvertently challenged InuYasha as the top male by grabbing what was rightfully the hanyou's, and then saying he would only give it back if he could have more time with InuYasha's mate. He had tried to use Kagome to elevate his status within their group, and it had not gone over well, at all. The humans in the group really did not understand the implications of his actions, but it was clear the hanyou did. Now, the kitsune was worrying over whether the thump on the nose and warning were his punishment, or if there was something worse coming. Deciding that “out of sight, out of mind,” might be a good philosophy to adopt right now, he was staying clear of the others.
 
 
Totosai thanked them for dinner and then excused himself to head back towards his home. He told them that Momo had ample time to rest, and he was ready to get back. Kagome and InuYasha walked with him towards the river to retrieve his three-eyed flying bull.
 
“Well, thanks again for the bands,” InuYasha said as Momo spotted his master and ambled over towards them.
 
“Yes, I can't thank you enough,” Kagome added. “They really are beautiful. And thank you for bringing them to us, instead of making InuYasha wait for them. That was the first time we'd been separated from each other, and I was really glad when you let him come on home.”
 
“Well, to tell you the truth, I had to see it for myself. Myouga told me that you two were mated, but I said you were both too stubborn. And after that display InuYasha gave us the night of the full moon, I knew this was no ordinary mating. Well, a miko and hanyou, who would've thought that would happen?” the old demon pondered. “Anyway, I was glad I could create those for you. I hope they do what you desired.”
 
“Are you sure you don't want to stay the night before you leave?” Kagome asked.
 
Totosai shook his head. “The sooner I leave, the sooner I'll be back in my own bed. Thank you for the dinner, though. That'll hold me for the night. You two take care of each other,” he told them as Momo started to float upwards.
 
“Bye, Totosai! Bye, Myouga!” Kagome called.
 
“Good-bye, Lady Kagome, Lord InuYasha,” they heard a tiny voice call. “But how'd you know…”
 
“Keh. You know a fight's coming, so you wouldn't stick around. Thanks for helping Totosai with the bands, though,” InuYasha responded.
 
Totosai gave a final wave as the flying bull turned and headed towards home.
 
Kagome turned to InuYasha with a puzzled look. “How did Myouga help?”
 
“Totosai needed blood, so the old flea sucked it out for him.”
 
The miko giggled. “I'll be he didn't mind that task at all.”
 
InuYasha grinned. “I had to tell him to leave some for me. He got a bit carried away.”
 
They stood near the riverbank, looking up at the sliver of a thumbnail that remained of the moon as it started to creep upwards into the night sky. Kagome suggested, “You know, the new moon is tomorrow night. Do you want to go ahead and return to my home tonight? That way we'll have tomorrow to find out what we might need to know for the reception. Mama was going to see if Jii-chan would call and see what he could learn.”
 
InuYasha didn't want to admit that he wouldn't mind sleeping in Kagome's soft bed, or be in the future when his senses started to wane during the day before the new moon. “Keh. Let's tell the others before we go so they won't be worried. Oi, Sesshomaru, are you out here?”
 
The Demon Lord appeared next to them. “Yes, Little Brother?”
 
“Kagome wants to return to her home tonight. We promised her mother we would be back in time to go to some event tomorrow night. Will you keep an eye on things? We'll be back within a couple of days,” the hanyou answered.
 
Sesshomaru glanced at the moon as well before he nodded. “Very well, Little Brother. I understand.”
 
“Thanks, Sesshomaru-sama,” Kagome said softly as she took her mate's hand. “I don't know about InuYasha, but I could use a short break. You guys have just about worn me out.”
 
“You both have worked hard. A short rest is in order,” the Taiyoukai responded. “Are you going to take care of the matter with the kitsune?” He directed that question to InuYasha.
 
“I'm going to let him stew on it for a couple of days,” the hanyou replied. “I'll deal with it after we return.”
 
“Very well.” And with that, he was gone.
 
“What did he mean, the `matter with the kitsune'?” Kagome asked, with worry in her voice.
 
“Kagome, when Shippou did what he did, he wasn't just taking what was mine. He was challenging my authority as head of the pack and as your mate. He tried to blackmail me in order for him to move up in status. I can't let it go unpunished,” InuYasha answered.
 
“You mean, when he grabbed the rings from Totosai, he did all that?”
 
“Keh, and he may not have thought about it, but in the end, he knew what he was doing. Right now, he's worried sick about how I'm going to punish him. I'm going to let him think about it until we come back. In fact, I'm going to have to figure out the best way to discipline him so it gets through that thick skull of his. Every time you think you've made progress with him, he goes and does something like this.”
 
“I know. I was disappointed in him, too,” Kagome added. “Well, come on. Let's go tell the others we're leaving, and then we can go.”
 
“Keh.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
In the shop where InuYasha had found his boots, the same sales clerk was bowing towards the distinguished man and beautiful woman that had entered the store. “Mr. Nishiou, we are very honored to see you again, as well as your lovely wife. How may we help you today?”
 
“We were in town on business and decided to stop by to see if you had my boots in stock. I think my wife would like some new shoes as well,” the gentleman responded and gestured for his wife to join him.
 
The stunning woman went to her husband's side. “I need new shoes for a reception tomorrow evening. Something in black that would be comfortable if I have to stand for a long period of time.”
 
“Both of you have a seat, please. I'll bring whatever we have out to you.”
 
The clerk returned with boxes stacked higher than his head. He set them down on the floor in order to start pulling shoes out. Then, he said, “You know, it was funny. We had a gentleman here the other day with two ladies to buy shoes. He ended up with a pair of those boots like you wear, Mr. Nishiou. I was struck at how much he resembled you, except that his hair was silver, and he did have the most interesting gold eyes. I wondered about the possibility that he might be related to you.”
 
“Indeed,” Mr. Nishiou responded as his wife continued to try on numerous pairs of shoes.
 
“Honey, I think these will do,” the lady said as she walked around the shop in the pair of new shoes the salesman had just placed on her feet. “They look nice, and they are comfortable. What to you think?”
 
“Oh, yes. That is the same pair that the young woman who was with the silver-haired gentleman bought. She said she had a black lace dress she needed them to wear with. But what's the chance that you are going to the same reception?” the clerk commented.
 
“I guess it will have to be an ice-breaker if we are,” she commented. “I really like these.”
 
“Just the one pair, Rin?”
 
“Well, now that you mention it, do you have these in navy and cream?” she asked.
 
“Yes, ma'am. Would you like those as well?”
 
“As long as you have them in this same size, you can wrap them up. And don't forget my husband's boots. Black, as always.”
 
“I'll take care of it right away. Should I charge it to your account?”
 
Sesshomaru nodded affirmative.
 
The clerk asked, “And where would you like them delivered this time?”
 
“Our suite at the Hotel Okura. They will need to be delivered by midday tomorrow.”
 
“Of course, Mr. Nishiou. They will be there in the morning,” the salesman agreed.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Kikyou had returned to help with the training of her reincarnation sporadically after InuYasha had returned. However, it was really coincidence as much as anything else.
 
After Kohaku had seen his sister, any memories he had managed to keep suppressed of when he tried to kill her had come roaring back. While he had previously remembered everything that he had done under Naraku's control, they had a new intensity after seeing Sango in person. However, it also renewed his resolve to help bring down the vile hanyou, even at the cost of his own life.
 
The result of all of this was multifold. Kikyou was afraid to leave Kohaku alone for very long, for it was paramount that his shard be kept pure. If the least bit of darkness crept into it, Naraku could manage to gain control of him again. Kohaku wasn't ready to see his sister again, but couldn't be far from Kikyou, so the undead miko went to help with her reincarnation's training when she was certain that Sango would be tied up with the fox child and little girl. And while there was no doubt that Kagome realized that Kohaku was nearby since she could sense his shard, she still had not said anything to alert the others. Kikyou had seen InuYasha raise an eyebrow and look at his mate, who shook her head in return. Yes, she was certain they both knew he was near, but also seemed to understand some of the trauma the boy had suffered, and that he wasn't prepared to see Sango again, not yet. Then, InuYasha would disappear to work with his youkai brother, while the miko remained behind to train with Kaede, the Houshi, and herself.
 
Kikyou had to admit to herself that the strange girl from the future had so far surpassed all expectations. Kagome also had surprised her a couple of times, like when she erected that barrier with such force it hurled her across the clearing, and when she projected balls of her miko energy, which she could throw as a weapon. They had to be careful when she practiced that newly discovered talent, for she could release enough energy to purify anything they came in contact with. Kikyou hated to admit it, but Kagome was far more powerful than she had ever even suspected. And the fact that her power had increased after mating with the hanyou just boggled her mind further.
 
Kikyou had also finally come to terms with the fact that even though InuYasha apparently had loved her at one time, he now loved her reincarnation fiercely. He never had to say a word, but it was written all over him by way of his actions. He also showed a trust in the young miko that he had never been able to show her. But then she reminded herself that she had never completely trusted him, either. She couldn't help it, but her training was so deeply ingrained in her not to trust demons, for they were something only meant to be destroyed.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome were slowly walking back towards Kaede's hut, taking their time.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Do you… do you ever… Never mind,” Kagome said softly.
 
InuYasha stopped and pulled her to face him. “What is it, Kagome?” He could tell something was bothering her and was learning not to put things off until they had spiraled out of control.
 
“It's just when Kikyou comes to help, you always leave. Like you can't bear to be around her. Do you ever… do you ever regret… do you ever regret that it's me you're with?” the miko said so softly, even he could barely hear her.
 
“What gave you that idea, wench?” InuYasha asked, more roughly than he intended.
 
“I…I worry that you can't stand to be around her because you're afraid you made the wrong choice.”
 
InuYasha wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to him fiercely. “No, that's not it, that's not it at all. I love you, Kagome.”
 
“Then why…” her voice trailed away.
 
InuYasha rested his chin on top of her head. “I did love her once, long ago. I loved her enough that I was willing to become human for her. I never thought that anyone could love me as I was, and I was lonely. I think I would have done anything to be accepted at the time. I had been alone for so long… then you came along, and set me free. I don't know when I fell in love with you, but I knew after we helped Jinenji that my place was with you. But every time Kikyou came back, I was confused. My heart remembered my love for her, and then my love for you. I also felt so guilty about causing her death, and then that I couldn't protect her from Naraku after she was brought back to life.
 
“I still felt guilty every time she showed up because I had promised to become human to be with her. Kaede kept trying to tell me that she was not the woman I had loved and that she should never have been brought back to life. Even Kaede had forgiven me for what happened fifty years ago when it was her own sister that died. I just couldn't forgive myself. I felt responsible for everything that happened, even though I knew it was really Naraku's fault.
 
“Then, that one fateful day when I was just trying to cool off - all I wanted was to go back to the river we had passed. I just had to stop and try to help a kid I thought was hurt and got sealed for my trouble. And then Kikyou came. If she had told them to free me, I think they would have. But instead, she said what she did, and I got sealed in that cave instead. I can't bear to be around her now because it hurts that someone I loved, and still tried to protect, was so callous with my life. She didn't even think twice before she walked off and left me there. Kagome, I would have died if you hadn't found me when you did. I love you, but I'm still angry with her. That's why I can't bear to stay when she's here. That's the only reason. I'll never regret what we have together. Never, never, doubt my love for you,” the hanyou concluded.
 
InuYasha felt his mate press herself into his chest and knew that she was trying not to cry. He just held her and rubbed her back as he tried to soothe her. He felt the kimono under his firerat become damp as her tears escaped and started to flow freely. Having finally learned that sometimes she just needed to cry and get it out of her system, he let her. When her tears subsided, and she pulled away from him, he looked down and gently wiped her tear-stained face.
 
The hanyou pulled her face upwards and kissed her softly. “Are you all right?”
 
Kagome smiled weakly. “I'm all right. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to break down on you like that.”
 
When the miko looked up into his eyes, she realized that his were glistening as well. “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up painful memories for you.”
 
InuYasha kissed her again. “No. It's okay. I've always held so much inside, thinking it would make me weak to let you know how I felt. Plus, I was afraid. I was afraid if you found out how I really felt about you, you would leave me. But I think I already told you that. All of this is hard for me to talk about, but then I feel like some huge weight has been lifted from me when I do. I won't always be able to, but I'll try. And make me a promise, wench.”
 
“What is it, InuYasha?”
 
“Anytime you get any ideas like that in your head, ask. Don't assume you know the answer, because we've learned the hard way a few times that you thought the wrong fucking thing. Promise me that.”
 
Kagome giggled. “All right, but the same goes for you. No assumptions. If you don't understand something, you tell me, and I'll try to explain. We've been our own worst enemy with our silence.”
 
`Sometimes silence is okay,' InuYasha thought.
 
`It is harder to hide from each other now, isn't it?' Kagome responded.
 
`But it makes some things easier. I love you,' the hanyou told her.
 
`I love you, too. Should we go tell the others goodnightand goodbye for now?'
 
`Keh.'
 
InuYasha leaned over to kiss her thoroughly before they continued along the path to Kaede's hut.
 
 
They arrived to find Kaede, Miroku, Sango, and Rin sitting around the fire and quietly chatting with one another while Sango absent-mindedly stroked Kirara in her lap. It looked like Rin had resumed practicing her writing, and was making good progress. They did not miss the fact that Shippou appeared to still be in hiding.
 
“Hey, guys,” Kagome said as they approached the group.
 
“What took you so long?” Miroku asked; his face had a bit of a leer.
 
“Keh, it's not what you think, Monk. And even if it was, were mates now, remember?” InuYasha responded.
 
Kagome choked back a giggle at his bluntness. “We just had a couple of things we needed to talk about after seeing Totosai off, that's all. We're supposed to be home tomorrow night for a reception we were both invited to, along with my entire family. We don't have any way of knowing what's happened while we were here, so we decided to go ahead and go home tonight.”
 
“Are you planning to speak with Shippou before you leave? He appears to be concerned that he will be punished for his actions,” Kaede offered.
 
“As well he should be. InuYasha wants to think about it for a couple of days. He'll deal with him when we return,” Kagome answered.
 
“I understand,” Kaede said wisely.
 
She knew that letting Shippou think about the possible consequences of his actions and worrying about what his punishment could be for a couple of days might do him some good. And while the old miko may not have understood all of the implications of what the kit had done, she knew it was serious because of the reaction he drew from the hanyou when it happened. It was also clear that no one was willing to interfere, or intercede, on the kitsune's behalf. Shippou had been given plenty of warnings. This time, he was on his own.
 
“We have all been working hard, and I think it will do us good to take a short break,” Miroku offered. “Even I have become weary and could use a good rest.”
 
InuYasha snorted. “It would probably help if you weren't the best target for Kagome's power balls. You are pretty fast, and it isn't like she can hurl those things at Sesshomaru, Kirara, Shippou, or even me since she could purify us. At least I would only turn human, but it still hurts!”
 
“Take my word for it, InuYasha. They are very powerful, and even hurt me to some extent, though not permanently,” Miroku answered.
 
Kagome gasped. “Miroku! You said they didn't hurt you because of your own Houriki! I'm sorry!”
 
Miroku actually grinned. “It is all right, Kagome. You did not seriously injure me, and you do need to practice on a moving target. It was good exercise on my part, and I learned I could absorb your energy and dispel it without too much pain. I also now believe that if I suck up any of Naraku's Saimyoushou or miasma into my Kazaana, you will be able to purify me of the poison.”
 
“What?” Kagome asked. “Are you sure?”
 
“Yes, Kagome, I am fairly certain. I believe it is something that Kikyou has knowledge of, but we will have to wait to ask her when she decides to return.”
 
“It is my fault,” Sango said softly.
 
“Huh?” the others replied together.
 
“It is my fault that Kikyou does not come more often. I pushed Kohaku too hard when I saw him. I know that he is afraid to see me again. Kikyou has not been back as often because of it,” Sango responded. “She is afraid that I will insist on seeing him, or follow her so that I can.”
 
Kagome went and sat next to Sango. “Sango, we don't know if that's true. Look how hard it was for him to come to you the first time? I'm sure he'll be back, when he is ready. Kikyou may have other reasons for not coming around as much.” She glanced at InuYasha as she said that. Kagome had to wonder if the undead miko felt any remorse at all over her actions regarding InuYasha, and maybe had a hard time coming around because of him.
 
“Anyway, we all need a break. InuYasha and I will be back in a couple of days.” Kagome stood and indicated to InuYasha she was ready for him to carry her out of here. “I think when we get back, if everyone is in agreement, we will start looking for Naraku again. Maybe we need to stir things up and give him a reason to come out of hiding. If Kouga shows back up, tell him not to disappear again. And be on the lookout for that incarnation that rides the paper crane. We're fairly certain he was spying on us, so he might be back. And Lord Sesshomaru said he would keep an eye on things in our absence. So, rest up, because you're going to need it,” the miko concluded.
 
InuYasha leaned over and she hopped on his back after she had retrieved her enormous backpack from Kaede's hut. “Don't worry, we'll be back,” Kagome said with a wave as InuYasha took off in the direction of the well.
 
 
To be continued…