InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ The Dark Hanyou Cometh ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews left so far. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 23: The Dark Hanyou Cometh
 
 
Byakuya lay in a crumpled heap on the ground. Naraku thought he had inflicted a killing blow to him when he impaled him and filled him with his miasma. However, in his anger, the dark hanyou had not realized that he had pierced straight through the incarnation, and that the miasma meant to kill him had been injected after the tentacle had forced its way all the way through his torso. When Naraku yelled that he'd think twice before betraying him again, Byakuya knew that what he really meant was that there was no second chance. He was supposed to be dead. It was just another one of Naraku's deceptions to make you think one thing when he intended another. And while Byakuya hurt like hell from the holes in his body, and his back burned from where the miasma had been released, he wasn't going to die - not yet.
 
He sat up and pulled the sword from the sheath on his back and looked at it. He'd never used it in battle, not once, since he preferred not to fight. He was only supposed to be an observer, after all. He ran his hand over it as he studied it. This sword had been forged from Naraku's bones. Byakuya wondered if it would work against him. Placing the sword back in its sheath, he ran his hands over his body. His injuries were quickly repairing themselves, and his back was already feeling somewhat better. Struggling to his feet, he located his paper crane. With a `whoosh' he'd thrown it down and was flying towards the village. He didn't want to miss out on whatever mayhem Naraku was planning to create there.
 
 
 
Naraku was headed in the direction of the village by InuYasha's forest. He had not expected to encounter Sesshomaru and Kouga there. No matter, he would deal with them when he had to. It was imperative that he retrieve the shards from the wolf, as well as any others that the old miko had. That would just leave the one that tied Kohaku's life to his body.
 
Then again, maybe that was why they had stayed there. Sesshomaru seemed to hold a grudge against him and had been hunting him ever since he had grabbed the little human girl, even though he had managed to get her back. The Inuyoukai was probably was hanging around, waiting for Naraku to come to him. He considered the jewel shards beneath him, especially after what had happened with his arm, so he wouldn't be interested in those pieces of the jewel for himself. No, Sesshomaru had probably given up trying to find him in his hiding place and was patiently waiting for him to show up. Well, he wouldn't want to disappoint him.
 
However, the wolf was probably there trying to figure out how to get those other shards of the Shikon no Tama for himself. He always had been greedy and wanted more - that's why it was so easy to give him the fake one that nearly succeeded in poisoning him. Kouga was most likely biding his time, waiting to get the other pieces of the jewel that must be in the possession of old Kaede by now. Well, too bad for him. Naraku was coming and he was going to take them all.
 
He should have known the two wouldn't kill each other. They really had no quarrel with one another, assuming Sesshomaru didn't care if the wolf had killed his bastard half-breed half-brother. Then again, maybe the Taiyoukai had reached them first, and had killed the mated pair himself.
 
 
 
“So, how do you think we should proceed?” Miroku asked, breaking the silence. No one had said a word after Sesshomaru's observation. He was right - the forest was too quiet.
 
“I am coming with you,” Kohaku said as he stepped forth. “He will come after me, and I will be able to tell you since I should feel him as he draws nearer.”
 
“Kohaku…” Sango said softly as she looked at her brother.
 
“Sister, I must do this. I have been prepared for this since I regained my memories. I must atone for what I have done,” he said seriously.
 
Instead of crying like she wanted to, Sango nodded and stood up straight. This was what her brother had chosen. She would not show weakness and try to erode his resolve. He would only be able to forgive himself if they were able to defeat Naraku. If he survived the battle, then hopefully Kohaku would be able to live again.
 
 
Miroku looked around to see where the kitsune had gotten himself off to. He was standing nervously next to Rin, shaking, but trying so hard not to show that he was afraid.
 
“Shippou,” Miroku said softly as he beckoned him over.
 
“Ye… yea… yes, Miroku?” the kit answered.
 
Miroku dropped down to the ground and pulled a piece of cloth from inside of his robes. “I have a very important job for you. It is vital that these jewel shards be given to Kagome as soon as she comes back.”
 
Shippou gulped. “Wha… what do you want me to do?”
 
“I want you to take these shards to the Bone eater's well. Jump in and stay there so you can give them to her the second she comes through. You should also be pretty safe in there, as long as you do not make any noise. Tell InuYasha and Kagome what is going on, and tell them to hurry. Can you do that?” Miroku asked. “Just stay there and be quiet? At least you will not have any wolves after you this time.”
 
Realizing the importance of what he was being asked to do, Shippou stood up tall and puffed out his chest. However, his voice still trembled when he replied, “You can count on me.”
 
Miroku placed the small parcel in his hand. “Take these and run. Do not look back. Just get to the well as fast as you can, and stay there.”
 
“Is that wise? Would you rather not just give them to me?” Kikyou interrupted.
 
“No, Kikyou. Kouga said they are to go to Kagome. And I am a man that tries to keep his promises,” Miroku replied. “Shippou, run.”
 
“Wait!” Sango called.
 
They all looked at her as she ran into the hut. She reappeared with Kagome's bow and quiver. “Shippou, can you take these with you? I have the feeling that Kagome will need these when she returns.”
 
The kitsune took the quiver from her and awkwardly threw it over his back. He then took the bow in his other hand. “I think I can do it.”
 
“Hurry, and be careful,” Sango told him.
 
With his fist closed firmly around the shards in one hand and the bow in the other, Shippou nodded and took off. His fur was bristling, even as he ran. He could feel the tension that filled the forest and sent every living thing into hiding. He didn't stop until he reached the well and with a running leap, jumped in. He landed at the bottom, panting. He scrunched himself into a corner and then sat down with his back against the ancient wood wall, setting the bow and quiver next to him. Holding the shards tightly in his grip, he begged, “Please hurry, Kagome. You, too, InuYasha.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha raced to the house, and Kagome opened the door so he could run in with her. Before he had a chance to carry her up the stairs, she stopped him. “InuYasha, I need to change down here. My clothes are in Mama's room.”
 
“Keh. Do you need anything from your room?” the hanyou asked as he pulled off the formal haori.
 
Kagome shook her head. “Everything I need is down here.”
 
Mama came running in behind them. “Kagome, what's going on?”
 
“Sorry, Mama. Sesshomaru says we need to hurry up and get back. Something must be happening. Will you help me undress?”
 
“Of course, Honey,” she replied.
 
“I'll try to hurry, InuYasha. I'll meet you back here,” Kagome said.
 
“Keh,” the hanyou responded, and then he bounded up the stairs.
 
Kagome had kicked off the geta when she entered the house, and shuffled down the hall as fast as the kimono would let her. Her mother closed the bedroom door behind them, and Kagome started peeling off layers of clothing. Mama helped her with the shiromuku, and then untied the elaborate knot that Rin had used on the obi. Once that was undone, the layers started coming off easier.
 
Kagome breathed a sigh of relief when she was down to her bra and panties. She found the pair of socks she had left in the bedroom, and pulled them on first. Her hands were shaking when she picked up the creamy white kimono that Rin and Sesshomaru had given her. She ran her arms through the sleeves and then tied it, and noticed how it adjusted itself to fit her body. She had to admit, that was one nice thing about demon tailoring.
 
Next, she picked up the hakama. She blushed as she realized she'd be able to figure out how it went on since she'd undressed InuYasha so many times - though she'd helped him dress a few times, too. Pulling them on, she couldn't help but to admire how they fit, and how they felt. She tied the strings at her waist, first, and then bent over to tie the ones at her ankles. When she stood, she knew she was covered, but was so comfortable it didn't feel like she was wearing anything at all. It was no wonder that InuYasha didn't want to give up his feudal attire.
 
“Kagome,” Mama said, as her eyes opened wide, when her daughter stood up straight. “Where did that come from?”
 
“It was one of the things that Sesshomaru and Rin brought to me. They said I should wear it when I go back,” Kagome answered as she picked up the haori and slipped it on. “And this is made of firerat, like InuYasha's, to help protect me.”
 
“It's beautiful,” Mama said. “How did they know your size?”
 
“Well, it's made by a youkai, so they didn't really have to. It adjusted itself to fit me,” Kagome answered as she tied the final ties in place. “Mama, we'd better get going.”
 
Mama hugged her daughter before she escaped the bedroom. “Be careful, Kagome.”
 
“Don't worry, Mama, I will.”
 
InuYasha was pacing around the kitchen when his new wife entered. His eyes sprang open when he saw how she was dressed. “Where?”
 
“Your brother,” she answered. “He said it's like yours, to help protect me. Are you ready?”
 
“Keh.”
 
“Let me get my shoes and let's go, then.”
 
 
Sesshomaru smiled as he saw the flash of red and green dash across the grounds. Apparently, the miko had taken his suggestion. Well, of course she had - that is what she was wearing when she appeared centuries ago. He took a deep breath. He was glad he did not have to live through that time again. He felt Rin squeeze his hand, and he turned his attention back to their hosts. When InuYasha and Kagome took off like bats out of Hell, Jii-chan had apologized for their rudeness, and offered to show them around the shrine. Sesshomaru and Rin both had responded that they knew it was necessary, but had accepted the invitation. They continued to follow the old priest, with Souta eagerly tagging along.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Ah-Un arrived with a warning screech that awakened everyone into action. Kirara transformed and Sango and Miroku climbed on.

“Come on, Kohaku,” Sango told her brother. He nodded and climbed on behind the monk. With a roar, the fire cat launched upwards, following Sesshomaru who had already vanished from sight. Kikyou's soul collectors wrapped around her and eerily picked her up and glided along, headed towards the river.
 
 
“Rin, you must stay with me,” Kaede said softly.
 
Rin nodded and sat down next to her. Kaede began to chant and erected a barrier around them. The little girl remained silent and stared off in the direction everyone had disappeared to.
 
 
They arrived at the river to discover that Kouga had crossed to the other side, and was trying to get Naraku further away from the village. Cries of “Goraishi!” rang out as he sliced through the dark hanyou's tentacles, as Naraku tried to catch the wolf. It almost looked like he was toying with Kouga, much as a cat does a mouse before it catches and kills it.
 
“Get out of there, Kouga!” Sango yelled as they crossed the river.
 
“I think not,” Naraku said as he wrapped one of his appendages around the wolf so that he was cocooned from his neck to below his knees. “He has something that I want.”
 
“Staff of Two Heads!” Jaken yelled as he aimed the fire breathing head at the tentacle wrapped around the ookami prince. He held the hot flames to the limb in an attempt to burn it away.
 
FWAP! was heard as a green whip flashed through the flames, slicing through the appendage, freeing the wolf. However, the tentacle trapping him remained wrapped around his torso so that he fell over, his legs still unable to move.
 
“Hiraikotsu!” Sango shouted as she hurled her boomerang, slicing off another tentacle headed for the ookami prince. Her poison mask already on, she ran forward with her katana in hand. She quickly cut through the bindings around his legs as well as freed his arms, before Kirara snatched her by the back of her clothing and hurled her out of the way.
 
“Kirara!!” Sango screamed, as the feeler caught the demon cat and threw her flying out of control.
 
 
 
“Kukukuku,” Naraku chuckled. “They are so predictable. They still haven't figured out it's just a golem they're fighting. Now, hand over those shards if you don't want to die right here and now.”
 
Kaede looked up, and stared at the evil hanyou with her one good eye. Rin stood next to her and glared at him. She did not say anything for fear of breaking Kaede's concentration and her barrier.
 
“Onigumo,” Kaede began. “You are still nothing but an evil man with a dark heart, who desires what he does not deserve and has not earned. I have nothing you want.”
 
“Kukuku, but you do,” Naraku declared. “With the girl dead and your sister gone, you surely must have the jewel shards.”
 
“Whatever do you mean?” Kaede asked, trying to discern what he believed to be true.
 
“That girl, Kagome, is dead, or at least has not been seen. She and the half-breed have either been killed, or run away, leaving you to fight alone. And your sister is nowhere to be found. She is either truly dead or in hiding. Where does that leave you? Do you think you can protect that child? Or is she protecting you? You are old and weak; just give me the jewel shards that you have. That will leave only the pieces in the wolf and the boy to complete the Shikon no Tama.”
 
“She does not have them,” Kikyou affirmed, as her soul collectors deposited her on the ground.
 
“Kikyou,” Naraku started. “Where have you been?”
 
“Here, waiting for you,” the priestess replied. “We knew that you would come for the remaining pieces of the jewel. Did you think I would not be here?”
 
Naraku narrowed his eyes. “You must have the remaining pieces of the jewel. You were always eager to hand them over before, so why not this time? Or do you now have designs for the jewel for yourself? Maybe, you think you can wish yourself a real body if you complete it? Just what are your plans, Kikyou? Why are you hanging around with your old hag of a sister and youkai?”
 
The evil hanyou's glare turned back to Kaede and the young girl she was protecting. “No, you must have the jewel shards. She's here to try and help protect you. Or did you manage to let the wolf steal them already? No, he probably wouldn't still be hanging around if he had them. So, that leaves you. Well, we can't let your sister interfere in our business, can we, Kaede?”
 
Kikyou was totally unprepared as Naraku lashed out with his tentacles, and impaled her torso. Ripping through her clothing, he punched a hole through her abdomen, and released miasma to start eating away at her clay body. “Kukukuku, Kikyou. That should take care of you,” he chuckled as she collapsed to her knees. “You didn't think I could do it, did you?”
 
“Naraku… you… will… not… win…” the undead miko gasped.
 
“Kukukuku. I didn't kill you outright just so that you'll last long enough to see that I will,” the dark hanyou responded.
 
“Sister Kikyou!” Kaede shouted, momentarily forgetting her barrier and running to her sister's side.
 
 
Byakuya had been hovering nearby, having rushed back to the village as soon as he was able. Naraku was so intent on the undead miko that he either didn't notice or didn't care that he was there. When the old miko shouted and ran to her sister's side, the barrier fell and he saw his chance. Swooping down, he grabbed Rin.
 
Rin took one look at the incarnation that had seized her and screamed at the top of her lungs, “Sesshomaru-samaaa!!!!”
 
“Rin!” Sesshomaru said as he heard the little girl's cry that pierced even through the sounds of the battle. In a flash, he was gone.
 
 
 
InuYasha didn't even stop as he leaped into the well, and through the time slip. It was lucky that Shippou was plastered in the corner, or they would have landed right on top of him.
 
“Runt, what are you doing in here?” the hanyou asked the kit as he stood Kagome on her feet.
 
Shippou stretched out a shaky hand. “Here, Kagome. These are Kouga's. Miroku said to give them to you as soon as you arrived. I brought your bow and arrows, too.”
 
“Thanks, Shippou,” Kagome said as she took them from him. Holding them against the others, she pressed her hands together and fused them into one piece.
 
“You'd better hurry. They sent me here because they said that Naraku was coming. I don't know what's been happening since I left Kaede's,” the kitsune said in a rush.
 
“Naraku! He's here! Let's go,” Kagome gasped as she shouldered her quiver and grabbed her bow.
 
“Stay here out of trouble, Runt. We'll come for you when it's safe,” InuYasha said as he picked Kagome up and jumped straight out of the well.
 
 
 
Kirara had skidded on her side when she landed and jumped to her feet. Racing back to Sango, she ducked between her legs and threw her on her back.
 
“Sango! I don't think this is the real Naraku!” Kohaku shouted. “This one hasn't been able to affect the shard in my back!”
 
“Stand back!” Miroku yelled as he pulled off the prayer beads and glove that protected his hand. The few Saimyoushou that accompanied the golem flew towards his hand, but were blasted by Jaken's Staff of Two Heads.
 
“Houshi!” Sango cried out as he moved forward, his hand in front of him.
 
The fake Naraku drilled his tentacles into the ground in order to try and resist the force of Miroku's Kazaana. Miroku just kept walking forward, and then stood his ground. With a scream, the golem lost its anchor and was sucked into the wind tunnel. The monk fell to his knees as he wrapped his hand back up. “Kohaku was right. That was a fake, but the real one must be near.”
 
“Houshi, are you all right?” the demon slayer asked.
 
“Yes, it had some miasma, but nothing like the real Naraku does. Where did Lord Sesshomaru go? I cannot believe he ran out in the middle of the battle,” Miroku pondered.
 
Kouga grabbed Miroku's hand and pulled him to his feet. “I thought I heard Rin scream, and then he disappeared. For that matter, where'd Kikyou go?”
 
 
Sango and Miroku looked at each other. “Kaede!” they exclaimed together.
 
“Let's go, Kirara!” Sango said. “Come on, Kohaku.”
 
Miroku and her brother jumped up behind her, and Kirara took off for Kaede's hut.
 
“Hey, wait for me!” Jaken shouted as they took off.
 
Ah-Un appeared from somewhere and landed next to the little green servant. Kouga just grabbed him and tossed him on the dragon's back before jumping up behind him. Ah-Un took off for the hut, not waiting for his passengers to secure themselves. The wolf prince grabbed Jaken as he lost his balance and nearly fell off. Without a word, they flew towards the real villain.
 
 
 
InuYasha shifted Kagome on his back when he landed on the grass outside of the well. “Where's Naraku? His stench is all over. It's coming from more than one direction.”
 
“Kaede! He's at Kaede's! I can feel the chunk of the Shikon no Tama. Let's go!” Kagome responded.
 
 
They arrived at the clearing near Kaede's hut to find Sesshomaru battling the dark hanyou. Kikyou was sitting on the ground with Kaede next to her. Kirara landed in the clearing and her passengers all jumped off, but then stopped. They just stared at the scene before them, and tried to ascertain the best way to join in without getting in Sesshomaru's way.
 
 
Sesshomaru was slashing almost blindly at Naraku with his whip, slicing tentacles off of the vile hanyou's body as fast as he could produce them. Unfortunately, he was also adding to the poisonous miasma that was starting to fill the clearing. While it did not affect him, it could easily kill all of the humans in the area.
 
“InuYasha, put me down,” Kagome told him as they approached the fight. “I've got to try and purify that miasma first. Otherwise, it'll reach the others. See if you can get your brother out of the way.”
 
`Sesshomaru! Move so Kagome doesn't fry your ass!' InuYasha practically shouted with his mind as Kagome knocked an arrow in her bow.
 
`You are late,' Sesshomaru responded as he stepped back, away from Naraku.
 
“What!! YOU!!” Naraku practically screamed as a sacred arrow passed through the clearing, and purified the miasma. “How can this be!” He had barely noticed the arrow in time, and jumped out of the way. “No matter, I'll still defeat you and take the last shards. I'll have yours and then the boy's. The Shikon no Tama will be complete, and it will be mine! But first, you must suffer!”
 
 
In the meantime, high in the air, Byakuya discovered an angry dragon with Jaken aboard, trying to rescue Rin.
 
“Now, now, now, you don't want to do anything rash. After all, it is rather a long way down,” the incarnation told them.
 
Ah-Un snorted and sent a stream of flames towards the paper crane as Jaken said, “Just give her back, or Sesshomaru-sama will be very angry.”
 
“Well, no, I can't do that, either. I might need her to bargain with,” Byakuya answered, trying to hold on to Rin who was struggling against him. “Stop that, girl. You don't want to fall.”
 
The words were no sooner out of his mouth than Rin managed to rip free of his grip and tumbled over the edge of the crane.
 
“Ahhheeeeeeeeee!” she screamed as she plummeted towards the ground.
 
Sesshomaru heard the cry, and made the mistake of turning his back to Naraku as he whirled towards it. Naraku didn't miss the opportunity and immediately plunged four tentacles into the Taiyoukai's body. He proceeded to rip into him and then started to pull him in.
 
“NO!” Kagome and InuYasha screamed together. They each glowed a fiery red as they ran towards the dark hanyou and Inuyoukai. InuYasha had Tessaiga out and started to hack at the limbs that were thrust through his brother's body.
 
“You think that you can stop me?” Naraku chuckled as he attempted to do the same to the couple. However he was shocked when his appendages just bounced off of the two bodies and were sizzling from the pure miko energy they encountered when he did. The pair was able to pull Sesshomaru free, and Miroku and Sango ran to them to drag him out of the way.
 
“Now, you'll deal with us,” InuYasha stated as he held Tessaiga in front of him.
 
“I think not,” Naraku responded as he pulled out the almost complete Shikon no Tama. “I still have this.” And then he chuckled, “And Kohaku.”
 
They looked to see Kohaku struggling, but slowly being pulled in. “You see? Kikyou is weak, and can no longer purify his shard.”
 
“Kikyou,” InuYasha whispered as he looked at his first love on the ground. “She's dying.”
 
“And look, the monk is getting weaker, too. I guess my golem was more poisonous than he thought,” Naraku taunted.
 
“Kagome, `Dodge ball',” Miroku responded from where he was sitting on the ground, next to Sesshomaru.
 
The young miko had a determined look in her eyes as she stood up straight and hoisted her bow over her shoulder. Placing her hands together, she concentrated and formed a large ball of her spiritual energy. She then split it in two, and hurled one at Miroku, and the other at Kohaku.
 
“What!” Naraku exclaimed as he watched the impossible. The monk grimaced as the powerful orb hit him, but as he closed his eyes and relaxed it flowed through his body. He came to his feet with a renewed look of determination.
 
Kohaku resisted the urge to duck as the sphere that was hurled at him reached him. Instead, it too, flowed throughout his body and removed Naraku's taint from the shard in his neck. Suddenly, he found his will was his own again.
 
 
InuYasha renewed his attack on the evil hanyou, his entire body and sword glowing. Naraku created a barrier around himself, but InuYasha went after it with the barrier breaking Red Tessaiga and went right through it. He did not realize that his youkai had emerged, and was working at incredible speeds to dodge the tentacles that were thrust at him as he continued to hack them off.
 
 
Naraku was stunned when the inuhanyou broke right through his barrier and continuously dodged his attacks. He found himself possessively clutching the jewel in his hand, using it to add to his strength to battle the others.
 
While InuYasha kept their enemy distracted, Kagome was pulling up another ball of energy. Just as her mate was, she was glowing both from the barrier that her mate helped provide through the ring, and her own spiritual power. Focused on the almost complete jewel in Naraku's hand, she waited until he had turned in her direction, and then threw the ball for all she was worth.
 
Naraku screamed when the glowing globe hit his hand, and cleansed the jewel in his grasp. Unable to hold the purified jewel, he dropped it, his hands burning. In the blink of an eye, InuYasha had snatched it from the ground and thrown it to his mate. Jumping back out of the way, he shouted, “NOW, MONK!”
 
Miroku yanked off the glove and beads and opened his Kazaana. The last thing that Naraku would ever think was that maybe that curse wasn't such a good idea after all, as he and his hell insects were pulled in.
 
The monk fell on his butt, hitting the ground hard. Staring at his hand, all that was left was a scar in the shape of a jagged circle. “Kagome, another, please,” he said as some of the shouki permeated his arm.
 
“Houshi! Are you all right!” Sango said as she joined him.
 
“I will be, as soon as Kagome purifies what's left of the shouki and Saimyoushou poison in my body,” Miroku said.
 
Kagome joined him, but rather than hitting him with a ball of energy, she placed her hands on him and willed her spiritual power into the wounds created by the poisons. The monk passed out while she worked to heal him.
 
InuYasha ran to his brother's side. “Sesshomaru, don't you dare die on me now. You can't, you know. You have to attend my wedding.”
 
“InuYasha,” Kagome said softly. Maybe I can purify the miasma Naraku put in his body, like I did with Miroku's wounds.”
 
“Do you think you can do it without purifying him?” the hanyou asked.
 
Kagome nodded. “I hope this ring will allow me to borrow some of your youki to help me. You'd better sit down, though, just in case it drains you.”
 
“Do whatever you have to,” he answered and sat near her.
 
Kagome placed her hands on Sesshomaru and began to concentrate. The others all watched on in amazement as they both became enveloped in her aura, mixed with InuYasha's. Slowly, she forced the miasma from his body, which allowed his wounds to begin to heal. She did not realize that she also healed the stump of his arm which had been seared by the jewel shard that had been placed there once at Naraku's suggestion. With the tainted flesh there repaired, the arm could finally regenerate.
 
“I think I've done all I can. It'll be up to him for the rest,” Kagome said as she sat down, exhausted. She looked at her mate and noticed that he was staring at Kikyou. “InuYasha?”
 
“She won't last much longer. Can you help her?” he asked softly.
 
He may have been angry with Kikyou, but he didn't want to see her die this way. Kaede was cradling her body, helping her to sit so that she could observe what had been happening.
 
 
“Sesshomaru-sama!” They were interrupted as Rin ran towards him. “Will he be all right?”
 
Kouga followed behind Rin. “She sure is plucky for having taken such a fall. It was lucky I had the dragon drop me off across the river. I heard her and managed to catch her.”
 
“Lord Sesshomaru! Rin, you aren't dead!” they heard as Ah-Un landed nearby, and Jaken jumped down. He was practically wailing at the sight of Sesshomaru's torn body and blood-soaked clothing. Throwing his body over the demon lord's, he started crying, “Don't die, Lord Sesshomaru, you cannot die.”
 
InuYasha went to Kikyou as Kagome approached Jaken. “I think he'll be okay, he just needs time to heal. We should try and move him inside.”
 
“You hear that, Master Jaken? Kagome-sama said he will be okay,” Rin said encouragingly to the little green youkai.
 
“What does she know! She's just human!” he sobbed, hugging the prone body.
 
Kagome sighed. She would let Rin console Jaken. Once they could get him off of Sesshomaru, they could move him indoors.
 
The young miko turned to see InuYasha sitting on his haunches, next to Kikyou and Kaede. She could feel his pain, and closed her eyes and turned her head. Taking a deep breath, she approached them.
 
Kikyou said something, and Kaede shifted her towards InuYasha and got up. The old miko placed her hand on Kagome's shoulder as she passed her and softly said, “It is her time. She is ready.”
 
Kagome could not miss the tears that rolled down the hanyou's cheeks. Her heart ached for him, realizing the pain that he was feeling.
 
Kikyou extended her hand towards the young miko in a silent invitation to join them.
 
Kagome sat down next to her. “Kikyou… is there… is there anything… is there anything I can do? I could try-”
 
“No, Kagome, it is time. I have been walking the earth too long in this counterfeit body. Naraku is dead, and his end was what I hoped to see before I move on to the next world.” Kikyou took Kagome's hand. “I am sorry I did not have more faith in you. It was hard to accept that my reincarnation could be so strong and equally hard to accept that InuYasha loves you.”
 
“Kikyou, I… I… I did…” InuYasha started, but choked.
 
“It is all right, InuYasha. I realize now that you did love me, as I loved you, or at least as much as I could. Fate just worked against us; that is all. In a way, we are still together.
 
“Kagome is my reincarnation. It will now be her duty to make the jewel whole again and guard it until it is purified. Kohaku knows that he must give up his shard and is ready for the consequences. He, too, is ready to end his suffering. And now, this body crumbles away. Do not grieve for me, for I am ready to move on.” Kikyou closed her eyes as she finished what she had to say.
 
InuYasha leaned in to gently kiss her brow. “Goodbye, Kikyou,” he whispered as her body turned to dust in his arms.
 
The others had stayed back in an attempt to give them some privacy. Still, they couldn't miss the tears running down the cheeks of both the miko and the hanyou. InuYasha pulled Kagome into his lap and buried his face in her hair. She rubbed his back as she tried to soothe him. She had told him before that it was okay to admit that he had loved Kikyou fifty years ago, and it was okay now for him to grieve the loss of his first love. However, not realizing how exhausted she was herself from the extensive use of her own energy in battling Naraku and then healing the others, she passed out as he held her.
 
“Kagome!” InuYasha was alarmed when he realized that she was unconscious in his arms and then looked up to see the others all near his brother, quietly waiting. “Kagome, she's passed out!”
 
Kaede approached them. “Bring her inside, and then we need to get your brother and Houshi indoors as well. They all need to rest and recover. Do not worry, InuYasha; she will be all right.”
 
InuYasha carried Kagome, following Kaede into the hut. As he was settling her on a futon, Kaede placed her hand on his shoulder. “InuYasha, do not grieve over my sister's death. She died long ago and was forced back to this plane. She was ready for her false existence to end. Do not blame yourself. You have avenged her by destroying Naraku, which was what she wanted to see in the end. Now, will you help me with Sesshomaru-sama and Houshi?”
 
InuYasha was still looking at Kagome as he nodded his head in response. He knew she was right, even if it was hard for him to see Kikyou finally leave this world for good. However, looking at Kagome, he realized how lucky he was, and that Kikyou was right. Kagome was not Kikyou. However, if Kikyou could accept that, in a way, they were still together, and that allowed her to die peacefully, then he would have to be okay with that. Leaning over to kiss Kagome gently on her lips, he wiped his eyes and stood. Without a word, he went out to help bring in Sesshomaru and Miroku.
 
Kaede knew that InuYasha was far more complex than many gave him credit for. She thought that he had loved her sister, at least as much as he was capable of at the time. His actions ever since he had been released from the tree had only shown his concern, and he had blamed himself for far more than he could ever be responsible for. She sighed as the hanyou went out to help bring in the others.
 
He returned, first carrying Miroku with Sango and Kirara following anxiously behind him. Kaede rolled out another futon, and InuYasha laid the monk down on it. He left Sango to fuss over him as he went to retrieve his brother.
 
If the hanyou hadn't been so worried about Sesshomaru, he would have laughed at the sight before him. Jaken was still bawling over the Taiyoukai, though his tears were starting to sound a little forced. Rin was patting his back, trying to comfort him and tell him that she was certain he would be okay. The harder she tried, the louder he wailed.
 
InuYasha sighed. “Jaken, I need to take him inside.”
 
“No! Sesshomaru-sama would not want to perish inside a human's hut!”
 
“He's not going to die. Kagome managed to force the miasma from his body, but I need to carry him into the hut,” the hanyou responded.
 
“I will not allow a half-breed like you to touch him!” Jaken declared.
 
Ah-Un had been waiting patiently nearby, to see what was going to happen. At this point, he ambled over and butted Jaken, forcing him to move from Sesshomaru. Rin grabbed him before he had a chance to throw himself down again.
 
“Thanks,” InuYasha muttered as he worked his hands underneath his brother's unconscious body and heaved him up. “Damn, you're heavy,” he said to him as he staggered towards the doorway. He didn't realize how exhausted he was, himself.
 
Kohaku saw InuYasha stumble and ran over to help him. He'd been sitting near where Kikyou had vanished, wondering what was going to happen next. He knew that Kagome would need his shard to complete the jewel; the older miko had told him that during their travels, though she thought it would be her, and not the younger reincarnation, to complete the task.
 
“Can I help?” the boy asked as InuYasha approached the door of the hut.
 
“Keh, just a minute,” the hanyou responded as he carried his brother inside, and laid him out on the futon Kaede had prepared near Kagome. It was convenient that Miroku was on the other side of the fire where his hand couldn't wander too much.
 
After he had Sesshomaru taken care of, InuYasha wearily plopped down next to Kagome. “Kohaku, you know where the well is, don't you?”
 
The boy nodded in response.
 
“Well, the runt is in it. We told him to stay there until someone came for him, so I guess he's still there.” InuYasha was about to ask Kohaku to go get him, but changed his mind. “Would you see if Kouga is still hanging around, and ask him to go after him?”
 
“I could go.”
 
InuYasha shook his head. “As long as you have the jewel shard, you'll still be a target for youkai. Besides, I think your sister needs you here. See if the mangy wolf is still around.”
 
Kouga was, in fact, pacing around outside. He had taken a run through the immediate area to make certain there weren't any more youkai hanging around. That Byakuya must be somewhere. He really wanted to go and find Ayame, and tell her the battle was over, but he also needed to make certain that Kagome was okay before he took off. Hearing his name, he stuck his head in the door. “What do you want?”
 
InuYasha looked up to see that Kouga had shown up on his own. “Shippou is in the well. Will you let him know it's safe to come back?”
 
The ookami prince almost retorted, but looking at the sad state of everyone in the hut, instead he said, “Okay,” and took off.
 
 
Somewhere well above the village, Byakuya had kept watch to see what the outcome would be. He cheered when Miroku sucked his evil master into his hand and then again when he realized he was still alive. Having heard stories about fascinating youkai in China, he decided that might be a nice place to visit. Maybe someone there would have a use for his illusions. Without so much as a `see ya', he headed west.
 
To be continued…