InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ A Time to Heal ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews left so far. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 24: A Time to Heal
 
 
“Hey, you can come out of there now,” Kouga called down as he looked over the edge of the well.
 
“K…K…Kouga?” Shippou questioned, worry in his voice.
 
The ookami prince laughed. “Well, who else would it be? Hurry up - don't be all day about it.”
 
Kouga heard a `pop' and realized that Shippou had transformed into his balloon form and was floating up out of the well. With another `pop' after he crossed over the ancient wooden walls, he turned back into a little fox. His face fell when he saw that it was only Kouga.
 
The wolf could smell the fear and concern emanating from him. “Hey, they're all right. The mutt asked me to come and get you. They're back at the old miko's hut. They were worried about you.”
 
Shippou nodded and took off at a run back to the hut, Kouga alongside him.
 
The kit stopped in the doorway and surveyed the scene before him. Sesshomaru was against the far wall, Rin sitting next to him. He could tell Jaken was somewhere near, but apparently didn't want to be in this hut otherwise full of humans. InuYasha was in-between his brother and his mate, watching over them.
 
The hanyou softly said, “She'll be okay; she's just exhausted,” when he saw the stricken look on Shippou's face as his eyes landed on Kagome.
 
The fox softly padded over to her and just stared. “Are you sure?”
 
“Keh, I'm sure,” InuYasha replied.
 
Shippou looked at Miroku on the other side of the fire pit, Sango sitting next to him, absentmindedly stroking Kirara in her lap. InuYasha saw the question on his face and said, “He'll be okay, too. Don't worry.”
 
Finally realizing just how exhausted InuYasha looked, he asked, “How about you?”
 
“Keh, I'm fine,” he answered. “Kaede went out to her garden for more herbs for the others and some vegetables for soup. Do you want to see if she needs help?”
 
“Yeah,” Shippou responded. Glad to be given something to do, he headed back out.
 
 
Miroku was the first to wake. He slowly opened his eyes and discovered that Sango was sitting on the floor next to his futon. She was slumped over, like she had fallen asleep sitting up. Slightly grinning to himself, he reached out with his once cursed hand to gently rub her bottom. She whirled to slap him out of habit but was then so relieved that he was awake, she leaned over and kissed him instead.
 
“Houshi, you are all right!” Sango exclaimed softly, a large smile across her face.
 
“Yes, my dear Sango, I am indeed. I am still a bit tired though.” The monk struggled to sit up. “How is everyone else?” he asked as he glanced around.
 
Sango didn't answer, but sighed as she looked at Kagome and Sesshomaru, laid out near each other with InuYasha sitting quietly between the two. He, too, was drained from the day's events, but refused to rest himself until at least one of the others had wakened. He gave a tired smile to Miroku when he saw him sit up and then reached over to brush Kagome's bangs from her face. He knew that she was just exhausted and needed to sleep, but still, he couldn't help but to worry. And then there was his brother, who'd been wounded pretty seriously. However, thanks to Kagome forcing the miasma from his body, his injuries were slowly but surely healing from the inside out. All in all, this day had not been nearly as bad as it could have been.
 
Sango was startled from her thoughts when Miroku said, “Would you help me up? I think I would like to go outside. It's a bit stuffy in here.”
 
“Are you certain you feel up to it?” the demon slayer apprehensively asked.
 
“Like I said, I am still tired, but uninjured. Kagome cleansed all of the remaining poison from my body. I think it will help to get up and walk around some. Will you help me?” the monk asked again.
 
“If you are certain,” Sango answered, standing herself and then taking his hand to help pull him to his feet.
 
Miroku stood and leaned against her. When she reached around him to help brace him, he reached down to cup her butt.
 
Sango just grinned. That was the second time he'd groped her since he woke up. He really must be feeling better.
 
 
Kouga had not followed Shippou into the hut, but instead started pacing back and forth outside. He had a difficult time just waiting. He stopped when he saw Miroku, braced by the demon slayer, exit the hut. Moving to him he said, “Hey, are you sure you should be out here?”
 
The monk looked at the ookami prince and smiled. “I have already been through that with Sango. It was stuffy inside, and I thought some fresh air might help. I feel much better than I did. I do think I had better sit down, though,” Miroku said as he swayed on his feet. “I am weaker than I initially thought.”
 
Kouga moved to his other side and helped him walk over near the fire. Once the monk and demon slayer were both seated, he asked, “How's Kagome?”
 
Sango looked up to study him before she answered.
 
Not missing the way she was scrutinizing him, he waved his hands in front of him before he said, “No, no, no. It's not like that at all. I just don't want to go back to the pack and Ayame before I know that she's okay.”
 
Nodding in understanding, she responded, “She's just tired. She used a lot of energy today with everything that happened. When she finally stopped, she fell asleep. Do not worry, she will recover soon enough.”
 
“In that case, I think I'm gonna find me something to eat. I'll be back.” With that, Kouga took off for another run through the woods. At the moment, he really did feel like hunting something down and killing it.
 
Sango watched Kouga vanish into the forest, and then looked over at her brother. He seemed totally lost in thought as he stared unseeingly across the fire. Afraid to ask him what he was thinking about, Sango leaned against Miroku's shoulder and sighed.
 
 
 
“Kaede?” Shippou spoke as he approached the old miko. Her back was turned to him, and he didn't want to startle her. “InuYasha said you might need some help.”
 
“Thank you, Shippou,” she said as she wiped her eye and turned to face him.
 
Shippou didn't miss the pungent odor of her tears and ran to close the distance between them. “Kaede, are you okay? What happened? I thought everyone was all right.”
 
“Everything is as it should be,” Kaede answered. “However, I was not as prepared as I thought that I was.”
 
“I know you did everything you could, and everyone seems to be okay,” The kitsune commented.
 
The elder miko shook her head. “Not everyone, though she was ready to move on after Naraku was defeated. I hope she is finally at peace.”
 
Shippou looked puzzled at first, and then it dawned on him. “Kikyou,” he whispered. “Oh, Kaede…”
 
“It is all right, young one. She said it was her time and that she ready to let her false existence go. I think she made her peace with InuYasha and Kagome at the end as well. Everything is finally as it was meant to be,” she responded.
 
“I'm sorry, Kaede. I know what it feels like to lose a family member,” Shippou offered.
 
“I know, Shippou, I know you do. Thank you. Now, will you help me with some of these herbs and to gather some vegetables? We need to help them build their strength up. I think a nice stew will be good for all of us.”
 
“Okay.” Shippou brightened up, and eagerly started to do as Kaede directed.
 
 
 
Damn, he hurt. Sesshomaru lay on his stomach on a pallet, wondering how he got there. He wearily ran the events of the day through his mind. Ah-Un had called him to the field across the river, where the ookami prince was fighting Naraku practically alone. He had actually been somewhat impressed at Jaken's bravery, taking on the much larger demon with his deadly staff. Still, the wolf was trapped as the dark hanyou toyed with him. The Taiyoukai had stepped up and used his whip to slice through the restraining tentacle, and then the demon slayer ran forward to cut him free. The next thing Sesshomaru knew, the slayer was flying by him with the cat not far behind. And then, he heard Rin scream. About that same time Kohaku was shouting that he didn't think that was the real Naraku, and that was when it hit him; that's what was wrong. In a flash, he returned to the old miko's hut.
 
He arrived to find the undead miko on the ground with her sister holding her. He didn't have a chance to ascertain where Rin was before Naraku came after him. Sesshomaru started to drive him back, using only his whip as he slashed at the tentacles flailing in his direction to slice them off. The poisonous miasma that was released did not affect him as it would the humans, and so he just kept forcing him back.
 
He was a bit surprised when his brother and the young miko suddenly appeared with InuYasha projecting his thoughts very loudly to get out of the way. He had stepped back and was trying not to smile at Naraku's latest tirade when he heard her again - the sound of Rin screaming from somewhere high in the air. Distracted by the fate of the young girl, he made the mistake of turning his back to Naraku. He should have expected the vile hanyou to not be an honorable fighter and stab him from behind. The look on his face was one of astonishment as he felt the four tentacles pierce his back and release their poison into his body. He heard InuYasha and Kagome both scream “No!” and turned enough to see them running towards him. The last thing he remembered was the sight of them glowing as their auras surrounded and protected them when they charged Naraku. He passed out while they cut through the deadly feelers to free him, and he was dragged out of the way.
 
And now, where exactly was he? He was still too injured to move, but someone had been taking care of him. His torn back and internal organs felt like they were mending, slowly but surely. He did actually think he might finally die from those wounds. While the miasma would not kill him outright, it would keep his injuries from healing. And yet, he was getting better, so the poison Naraku had injected into him must have been removed somehow. He heard, `You're safe; go back to sleep,' drift across his thoughts before he slipped back out of consciousness.
 
 
InuYasha remained between his mate and his brother, watching for some sign that either might be starting to awaken. His brother stirred, and he could feel the confusion and concern that permeated his aura. InuYasha reached out to gently brush across Sesshomaru's youki to let him know he was protected. Apparently satisfied, the Taiyoukai slipped back into unconsciousness, allowing his body to continue healing.
 
 
Rin was still sitting next to her Lord, watching faithfully over him. InuYasha was amazed that the little girl was holding up so well when her guardian had been so grievously injured. Wanting to encourage her, he said, “Don't worry. He's tough; he'll be all right.”
 
“Oh, I know that he will,” Rin responded.
 
Surprised that she was so calm about the whole thing, InuYasha asked, “How?”
 
Rin offered a small smile. “He was injured at least this badly when I first found him, and did not have anyone else to help take care of him. I took him food and water, trying to help him to get better. This time, he has all of you trying to help him, so I know that he will recover. Not even Master Jaken knew what had happened back then; it was just me.”
 
InuYasha nodded in understanding, even though he was wondering what had transpired that hurt Sesshomaru badly enough that a small child tried to tend to him and had also separated him from Jaken. However, his thoughts were interrupted when he heard the same small voice whisper, “I wonder if I should stay here when he leaves.”
 
The hanyou looked at his brother who seemed to stir slightly, but then quieted again. He snapped his head up to look at Rin. “No, you need to stay with him.”
 
Rin looked down. “So, you do not want me, either.”
 
“No, Rin, that's not it at all,” InuYasha responded quietly. “He needs you with him, kind of like I need Kagome. He doesn't really realize it, but you make him stronger. Take my word for it, if Sesshomaru didn't want you with him, you wouldn't be. I'm sure he's had plenty of opportunities to drop you off at a human village, but he never has.”
 
“I do not know what to do. Master Jaken says it is all my fault that Sesshomaru-sama was hurt to begin with,” she whispered.
 
Suddenly, it all made sense to InuYasha. He couldn't believe the little girl who had been so faithful suddenly wanted to leave Sesshomaru. “Jaken is just upset about him being hurt, and is lashing out at everyone else. Don't listen to him. If you really want to stay, you would be welcome here. But don't do it because you think my brother doesn't want you any more, or because that silly toad says you should. You need to do what your heart tells you to. I'm guessing that it's saying that you should stay with him. Don't make any rash decisions based on Jaken's ranting.
 
“Now, why don't you go outside and get some fresh air? Kaede went to collect herbs to put on his back to try and speed up the healing. I'll stay here and keep and eye on him. I promise I'll call you if he starts to wake up. I just don't think it will be for a while yet, since he has some internal injuries that have to heal as well. And if Jaken tries to say anything else to you, you tell him to go jump in the river. All right?” InuYasha finished.
 
Rin slowly climbed to her feet. She was a little stiff from sitting in the same position since she originally sat down. “All right, InuYasha-sama. You promise you will call?”
 
The hanyou nodded.
 
“Okay.” Rin brushed herself off, and headed out to see where the others were. He was right. If Sesshomaru's wounds healed faster, then he would wake up sooner. She was worried because he appeared to be hurt worse this time, even if she didn't want to admit it. When she found him that very first time, he was sometimes asleep, and sometimes awake. However, she really didn't know how long he had been there before she initially discovered him. So, maybe this wasn't any different. All she could do was to wait and see.
 
 
Kagome finally started to wake up. Her thoughts were so foggy with all of the details of what had happened. The last thing she remembered was InuYasha holding her as they cried together over Kikyou's death. Even though they both knew that she was ready, it was still hard to see her go. She was glad she got to speak to her in the end and was surprised when Kikyou basically gave them her blessing. And Naraku was dead. Finally, revenge had been exacted for everyone he'd ever hurt.
 
Well, almost. There was still the matter of Kohaku and his shard. Kagome had the Shikon no Tama, complete except for the one shard that kept Kohaku alive. She knew he was willing to give it up. In fact, it seemed that he wanted to in order to atone for his grievous actions against his family as well as all of those committed against other innocent humans. He had hurt so many on Naraku's command.
 
 
Kohaku was seated near the fire outside the hut. He knew it would all be over for him soon. They would have to remove his one shard to complete the Shikon no Tama and then he would be able to die in peace. When he began traveling with Kikyou, it was in hope that he would be able to exact justice and repay his debts against humanity. He knew that Kikyou was more than willing to take his shard, even if it caused his death. He was not so certain about Kagome following through, especially with his sister there. They would probably want him to live, while he felt the need to die. Kohaku sighed. He knew the longer he waited, the harder it would be. Once the young miko was awake, he would tell her that it was time.
 
 
 
Kouga wasn't having much luck finding anything large to chase down and kill. All he kept coming across were small game, like rabbits and squirrels. “Damn, nothing but fodder for humans around here,” he commented to himself as he ran across more bunnies. “Wait, food for humans. Kagome will need to eat when she wakes.” With that thought, he quickly ran down and killed half a dozen of the critters. Carrying them by their ears, he headed back to the others.
 
The ookami prince reached the hut to find Kaede and Shippou cutting up vegetables into a fairly large pot containing water hanging over the fire. “Hey, I brought these for you. Kagome'll need to eat when she wakes up.” Holding them in front of him, he dangled them over the pot.
 
“No, wait!” Kaede exclaimed when she realized what he was about to do.
 
Kouga yanked them back. “Why? What's wrong? I didn't do anything to them. They're perfectly good,” he said indignantly.
 
The old miko smiled and shook her head. “Nothing is wrong with the rabbits, and I do appreciate you bringing them. However, humans skin and clean their food before they eat it.”
 
Sango stood and dusted herself off. “Come on, Kouga. I will show you. Besides, with that many we will probably put a couple in the stew, and then place some to roast over the fire.”
 
Kouga nodded and followed her, rabbits still dangling from his hands.
 
 
 
Kagome's eyes finally opened to find concerned amber ones looking into them. A smile also crept into the hanyou's exhausted expression, otherwise full of worry.
 
“Hey,” she said as she tried to reach up, but found her arms felt like they were weighed down with lead.
 
“How are you feeling?” InuYasha asked in response.
 
“Like I'm tied down. I don't feel like I can move,” she said in frustration.
 
“You used a tremendous amount of energy. Kaede said something like this might happen. She has some tea for you to drink once you woke up. Hold on for a minute; I'll go get it.” InuYasha got up and rushed out to find Kaede and the others at the fire. “Hey, I think Kagome's awake enough for that tea you have for her.”
 
Kaede nodded in understanding. “You go back in to her, and I will finish preparing it and bring it in.”
 
InuYasha went back in to his mate, to find Shippou sitting next to her, quivering.
 
“What's wrong, Runt?”
 
“Shippou?” Kagome turned her head to face him. She had closed her eyes when InuYasha left her and didn't realize the kitsune had come in.
 
“I thought you were better,” he responded hesitantly.
 
“I am; I'm just still really tired. Don't worry, I'll be okay. InuYasha, will you help me sit up? And where's the tea?”
 
“Kaede's bringing it.” The hanyou carefully helped her into a sitting position, as he moved behind her to help prop her up.
 
They both noticed that Shippou was just gawking at her.
 
“Now what?” InuYasha asked a bit irately.
 
“Those… those clothes. Where did they come from?” the kit asked curiously.
 
“Oh, these? I'll explain later. You're probably not the only one who wants to know,” the young miko answered.
 
“All right, Shippou. Why don't you go on back out? Kagome still needs to rest. In fact, why don't you take something with you to keep you and Rin occupied for awhile?” Kaede said as she entered the hut with Kagome's tea. “She does not really know what to do with herself, so I have been trying to keep her busy.”
 
“Okay, Kaede,” the kitsune answered. Grabbing some crayons and coloring books, he went back outside.
 
 
InuYasha took the tea from Kaede, and placed the cup to Kagome's lips. She started with small sips, but as the warmth started to fill her, she managed to down the entire cup.
 
“Hey, that was pretty good. Can I have another?” she asked.
 
Kaede chuckled. “Let that one have a chance to work before you drink any more. It is pretty potent, child. You do not want to drink too much at one time.”
 
“Now what?” InuYasha asked. Kagome had fallen asleep in his arms before Kaede finished speaking. He was worried again because she seemed so wide awake a minute ago.
 
“Her body needs sleep. The tea will help her energy find its way back throughout her body. Do not worry; she should feel much better when she awakens again. InuYasha, you are tired as well. Why do you not lay down with her and rest. No one will allow anything to happen to either her or your brother.” For good measure she added, “And Kagome may well recover faster if you are next to her. I think because of your bond, she may be able to use some of your energy, as she did to aid in cleansing your brother of the miasma.”
 
“Well, why didn't you say that earlier?” InuYasha climbed under the blanket and pulled his mate protectively against his body and closed his eyes.
 
 
All Kouga could think as he watched Sango skin and clean the rabbits was what a waste. His wolves would have eaten the entire carcass, allowing none of it to go unused. And as far as he was concerned, she was throwing some of the best parts away. He could almost understand the hide since that was sometimes hard to digest, but still… Kouga thought it was bad enough that the humans cooked their meat. It was really sad to see them desecrate it this way. Then again, if this is what it took for Kagome to get better, so be it.
 
 
The hut was rather crowded that night as everyone found a place to sleep. Of course, Kouga stayed out since he was more comfortable outdoors, anyway. Jaken was still somewhere near the side of the hut that Sesshomaru's futon was against. He refused to come inside to even check on his Lord. Instead, he waited not so patiently where he could hear much of what was said inside. Ah-Un had returned to the rich grass by the river and stretched out to sleep as well.
 
Sango surprised even Miroku when she laid down on his futon with him for the evening. She just shrugged her shoulders and said, “There's not enough room for everyone otherwise,” and made herself comfortable.
 
Sesshomaru was still asleep, or comatose, they couldn't tell which because InuYasha was passed out with a sleeping Kagome nestled comfortably in his arms. Rin and Shippou shared a mat that was near Lord Sesshomaru. Rin would not hear of moving to the other side of the hut, insisting she wanted to be close in case he woke up and needed something. Shippou just sighed in defeat as he lay down and pulled the blanket up over himself.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
In modern day Tokyo, Sesshomaru was once again pacing around the suite, threatening to wear holes in the tatami mats.
 
“Sesshomaru, Honey, please come sit down. You are not doing anyone any good that way,” Rin said softly.
 
Her mate stopped and turned to face her. “What happens if something was changed? Even the minutest detail could change the future.”
 
Rin gracefully stood and went to her husband. Taking his hands in her own, she said, “Sesshomaru, the battle should be over now, and you should be healing. You were out cold for another day, but everything was fine. What is troubling you so?”
 
The Inuyoukai pulled her to him and wrapped his arms around her. “A conversation.”
 
Rin looked up at him, puzzled at the concern written all over his face. “A conversation? About what?”
 
“You wanted to leave me.”
 
“What?”
“Before I totally lost consciousness again, I heard you say you wanted to stay with them in the village,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
Rin studied his face as she tried to remember the exchange. Taking his hand, she led him to the sofa and sat down. She did not turn loose as he joined her.
 
“I thought I was the reason you had been hurt. I did not want you to be injured again because of me,” she said quietly.
 
“What do you mean? It was not your fault, and I never blamed you,” Sesshomaru replied.
 
Rin sighed. She was glad Jaken had already returned home. “No, it was not you.”
 
“Who? InuYasha?” the Taiyoukai asked.
 
“No. He was very insistent that I stay with you. If I recall, he said something to the effect that I made you stronger, though you did not realize it. He told me that you needed me with you, in a manner similar to how he needs Kagome.” Rin giggled. “I just did not understand then what he meant.”
 
“Then-” he stopped and his brow furrowed. Who would tell her something like that? Of course… “Jaken.”
 
“He was only thinking of you,” Rin offered.
 
“No, he was thinking of himself,” Sesshomaru responded. “I should have known. What did you say InuYasha told you?”
 
Rin relayed everything she could remember from the conversation with the hanyou that fateful day.
 
“He said that?” the Inuyoukai questioned.
 
“Yes, he did.”
 
“Interesting.”
 
“Now, do you have everything ready? It will not be that much longer before they return,” Rin said.
 
“Everything is in place,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
“Good. Then let's go to bed,” Rin suggested.
 
“But it is still afternoon-” Sesshomaru stopped in the middle of his protest. “Good idea.”
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha woke the next day to the feeling of eyes staring at him. He kept his eyes shut as he tried to pretend that they weren't there, though it wasn't long before Kagome started to stir in his arms. Relieved, he lightly squeezed her as she started to come around. His breath hitched when he felt her reach back to grab his length through his hakama. “Not now,” he whispered in her ear.
 
Kagome was so warm and comfortable as she started to awaken. Not clearly remembering where she was or what had happened, she woke to the familiar feeling of InuYasha's morning erection pressed into her backside. Out of habit, she reached back to grab it and pull. She was surprised when she heard him whisper into her ear, and let go, wondering what was wrong.
 
The young miko felt strong hands help her start to sit up, and she flushed bright red as she realized that Kaede, Miroku, Sango, and Shippou were all sitting just across the fire, watching her. The lecherous look on the monk's face gave the impression that he knew what she had tried to do, but at least he had the good graces not to say anything.
 
“Are you all right?” InuYasha asked as she leaned back into him. She didn't have to strain to hear the worry in his voice.
 
She was feeling much better, but at the moment had a splitting headache. “Yeah, but would one of you bring me my bag? I need an aspirin.”
 
Sango nodded and got up to fetch the well-worn backpack. Kagome rummaged around with it and produced a white bottle from her time. Dumping two of the tablets into the palm of her hand, she asked for some water. Shippou scrambled to get it for her, and she swallowed the pills. Everyone remained silent as they waited for Kagome to speak up or give some indication she was ready to talk to them.
 
Before anyone, including Kagome, had a chance to say anything, Kouga rushed into the hut. “Kagome! You're awake! Are you okay?”
 
The miko gave the wolf a warm smile as she squeezed InuYasha's arms wrapped around her. “Thanks, Kouga. I feel much better. I just needed to recover my strength. I didn't mean to worry all of you.”
 
“I knew you would recover, but I didn't want to leave before you were awake. Naraku is dead, and you have my jewel shards. There really is no reason for me to hang around here any more,” he stated.
 
InuYasha helped Kagome to her feet, and she went to the ookami prince. Surprising him, she gave him a quick hug. “Thank you for your help against Naraku. I know that Ayame is waiting to hear what happened. You shouldn't keep her waiting any longer.”
 
“You'd better watch yourself, or she'll kick your ass,” InuYasha added for good measure.
 
“Hey, I need a good bitch. We'll have sturdy pups, and our combined tribes will become stronger. If you're ever in the Southern Plains, you're welcome to visit. Well, at least YOU are, Kagome. I don't know about mutt face here.”
 
InuYasha just growled his response, though he could hardly mask his grin; Kouga was leaving for good.
 
Kagome gave the wolf youkai one more quick hug, though she could hear InuYasha saying something under his breath about how she was going to have to take a bath to wash the stench off. The others barely had a chance to say goodbye before Kouga had disappeared into a whirlwind outside, racing for his new home.
 
 
The young miko turned to see Sesshomaru stretched out on a futon on the floor, his shirt off so that his back was exposed to the air as he healed. She moved next to him and went to her knees as she leaned over to examine him. She didn't miss the fact that Rin was sitting at his head, stroking his hair.
 
“How is he?” Kagome asked no one in particular.
 
“He is healing,” Kaede responded as she moved next to her. “Rin has been helping to pack the wounds on his back with herbs. I do not know if they help a demon such as him, but it has not seemed to have hurt him. InuYasha said that you were successful in forcing the miasma from his body, which would have stopped the healing process. All we can do now is wait.”
 
Kagome nodded in understanding. “Rin, how are you doing?”
 
“Rin is much better since she was allowed to help. He would not have been hurt if it were not for me.”
 
“That isn't true,” Kagome disagreed. “He would have fought Naraku anyway. I'm certain he is glad that you are helping to take care of him.”
 
Master Jaken said that he should be tending to him, but he will not come into this hut, and InuYasha would not allow Sesshomaru-sama to be moved outside. Master Jaken is not happy,” Rin informed her.
 
Kagome laughed. “I suspect that is true a lot of the time.” She turned towards Miroku. “And how about you?”
 
“I am fine,” the monk answered. “I woke up yesterday, thanks to your healing powers. You cleaned all of the poison from my body so I am in perfect health. All I needed was a good night's sleep.”
 
“Sango, are you all right?” Kagome asked.
 
“As well as can be expected,” the slayer answered as she stared towards the door. Kohaku was still outside. He wouldn't come in, not even to sleep or eat. “He knows you must take his shard,” she added.
 
“Oi, I think he's waking up,” InuYasha interrupted as his brother moved.
 
`Where am I?' the Demon Lord thought as he strained to regain consciousness. His thoughts were scattered as he vaguely remembered Naraku, his brother, and the little miko. Finally realizing he was laying on his stomach, he struggled to roll over on his back. He felt strong clawed hands trying to help him turn over, and then untangle the blankets he was wrapped in. When his eyes finally opened, it was to see warm brown eyes above a large grin, albeit upside down. Sesshomaru didn't know how to respond when he felt her small arms wrap under his chin as she pressed her face to his.
 
Realizing what she had done, Rin immediately turned loose and softly exclaimed, “You are awake!”
 
“Yes, Rin. Are you well?” he asked.
 
“Rin is well and has been waiting for you to wake up.”
 
“She was a great help in packing your injuries with herbs,” Kaede offered. “You did not respond as negatively to her as you did to the rest of us. We assumed it was because of your familiarity with her presence.”
 
“Indeed,” Sesshomaru said as his eyes came into focus and he took in his surroundings, which currently consisted mostly of the faces of his brother's pack. However, when his eyes landed on Kagome, they sprang wide open. He couldn't help but to reach out to touch the hem of her haori, and verify that it was what he thought it was, and then the same with her hakama. “Where?” he questioned. Where did a miko get demon tailored clothing?
 
“It… It… It was… It was a wedding present,” Kagome answered softly.
 
“Why would you tell him and not us?” Shippou popped off, unable to hold his tongue any longer.
 
“Because I only wanted to explain it once, and not every time someone else woke up,” the miko answered. “It was given to me to help InuYasha protect me.”
 
“It did a good job,” Sesshomaru said as he slowly sat up. “The last thing I remember was the two of you wrapped in your combined auras, rushing Naraku.”
 
“That may have been from our rings that Totosai forged for us,” she responded as she presented the ring on her finger, and took InuYasha's and showed him that one as well.
 
“Perhaps, though there is a strong chance that the clothing and your rings were working together. In any case, Naraku was not able to touch you, was he?” the Taiyoukai asked.
 
Kagome and InuYasha both shook their heads.
 
“The sense of power that you gave off was unbelievable. If Naraku had felt it from inside of his barrier, certainly he would have fled. How did you end up destroying him?”
 
“How do you know that we did?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Because everyone is here is basically in one piece. However, the wolf appears to be gone in spite of the fact that his scent is still fresh.”
 
“Kouga stayed around long enough to make certain that Kagome was going to recover and then he headed home,” Sango offered. She had been silent up until now. “Miroku finished Naraku off, and that was the last time his Kazaana was ever used.”
 
The monk once again examined his hand; it was still hard to believe that the kazaana was gone. “Yes, my curse has been lifted because Naraku is finally dead.”
 
“You still have one more task to perform, do you not?” Sesshomaru directed his question at Kagome. “You must complete the jewel before you can purify it for good.”
 
“I…” Kagome started, but couldn't finish. She knew what that meant.
 
“Kohaku,” Sango whispered with a sob.
 
The boy in question stepped into the hut. “I knew that this day would come. I am ready.”
 
 
To be continued…