InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ Can There Really Be A Happily Ever After? ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews left so far. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one. And for responses to your reviews, please check out my LiveJournal at http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com. For responses to Chapter 26, you can find them at http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com/131290.html .
 
Also, many thanks to inufan625, who acted as beta for this piece from the beginning. I greatly appreciate the time and efforts you've put into helping me make this a better fic.
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 27: Can There Really Be A Happily Ever After? (Warning: Lemon)
 
Kagome was still silent as they rode in the luxurious limousine to meet with Sesshomaru and Rin. At InuYasha's quiet insistence, Mama had come along as well. He was certain his brother wouldn't mind, and he was still worried about Kagome. She hadn't put up a fight about going, but wasn't too enthusiastic, either. However, if nothing else, it was the polite thing to do, and she didn't want to disappoint her brother-in-law after everything he'd done for them.
 
When they reached the hotel, a doorman appeared and opened the car door for them. InuYasha stepped out and then offered his hand to Kagome to help her out, and then Mama. With Kagome between them, each holding a hand, they headed inside.
 
They stopped and asked for directions to Sesshomaru's suite, and the manager immediately called up to notify his most honored guest that he had company. He was told to send them up, so they were directed to the elevator with one of the bellhops from the lobby as a guide. It turned out that a special card key was needed in order for the elevator to go to the top floor, so the bellman slipped his into the slot before pressing the button for the penthouse suite.
 
InuYasha was suddenly glad that Mama had made them dress up for this excursion. He had worn his suit from the wedding, but with the red shirt and paisley tie that went with it. With Mama's help, his hair was tied up with his ears plastered to his head under it. He was kind of wishing he could just have worn the bandana, but she said it didn't really go with the suit. Mama was wearing her new dress that she bought for the reception with Totosai, as had Kagome. At least none of them felt underdressed when the door to the penthouse opened to reveal a smiling Rin in a silk brocade dress of royal blue. Sesshomaru was wearing the standard black suit, but with a peacock green shirt and tie striped with shades of green and gold.
 
“Come in,” Rin said as she stepped out of the doorway. “We are so glad you could come. We have someone we want you to meet.”
 
The three entered and removed their shoes before proceeding further into the suite. Mama and Kagome both looked stunned at the man who was standing in the living area along with a beautiful woman.
 
The man in question had dark hair that was spiked out in every direction along with dark eyes, and he wore a black suit as well. He looked like he could blend into just about anywhere. It seemed like everything was black except for the single silver talon he wore around his neck. As black as his eyes were, you could still see the mischievousness in them.
 
Kagome finally broke her silence. “You brought us here to meet the illusionist Cyril?”
 
The magician laughed. “Yes, me and my lovely assistant, who happens to be my mate.”
 
His words weren't lost on InuYasha, even if they were on Kagome. The hanyou raised an eyebrow. There was something familiar about the man, even if he couldn't put his finger on it.
 
“I… I… I don't understand. Are you thinking of hiring him for a party or something? Oh! I know he's popular, but wouldn't that be a little overboard for the engagement party or the reception?” Kagome responded.
 
“Well, if you don't want Cyril, what about me?” the illusionist asked.
 
“David Copperfield? No, what? This can't be right,” Kagome stammered.
 
“He's actually one of my sons, but sometimes we like to switch up and fool people. Kitsune are tricksters, you know,” Cyril responded with a smile.
 
“Kitsune? You're a fox demon?” Kagome was even more confused.
 
The man before them began to morph again, this time into a tanned Anglo with red hair and green eyes. “Is this better?”
 
Kagome stared at the face, and then the eyes. Her eyes started to fill with tears as he shifted again before her.
 
This time Shippou became what he was, a full grown kitsune youkai with five tails waving behind him. His hair was more golden than it was before, but his eyes still had the same intensity. It appeared he had never outgrown his innocent face, though InuYasha knew that most of the time, it was anything but.
 
“Shi…Ship… Shippou?” Kagome asked hesitantly.
 
“In the flesh, or maybe I should say fur,” he responded.
 
Kagome squealed so loud when she hugged him that InuYasha was glad his ears were pinned down, and Sesshomaru wished he could do the same for his.
 
“Shippou, I can't believe…” Kagome started when she finally turned him loose. She looked behind him and was startled to see a deep red vixen with four tails now standing where the beautiful woman was. “And this…”
 
“This is my mate, Akane. Kagome, I wanted you to meet her so that you could see that you were right - there really was a beautiful girl just for me. I only had to grow up and find her,” Shippou said.
 
Kagome bowed in her direction. “It is so nice to meet you.” She turned back to Shippou. “But where did you meet her?”
 
They were interrupted by a throat being cleared, and they all turned towards Sesshomaru. “You might be more comfortable if you sit down.”
 
Everyone nodded, and filed into the living area.
 
They sat and visited, with Kagome actually laughing for the first time in days as Akane told them stories about her mate and some of the things he had done. Shippou wisely did not bring up Miroku, Sango, or the past, though it was partly in fear of the Taiyoukai who had warned him in advance about it. He was allowed to talk if Kagome asked, but not to bring it up otherwise. So far she had not, and he had left well enough alone.
 
They were interrupted when Kagome's stomach gave a very loud growl, and she blushed deep red. InuYasha looked up at his brother. “I thought you invited us over for lunch? I don't see any food.”
 
“We can go out for lunch, whenever you are ready. However first, InuYasha, we must do something about those ears,” Sesshomaru stated.
 
That brought a growl from the hanyou. He had pulled the tie out of his hair and freed his ears while his mate visited with the others.
 
To make his point, Sesshomaru slipped his ring onto his finger, masking his demon features.
 
“But I don't have anything like that,” InuYasha said quietly, nervously twisting his wedding band around his finger.
 
“InuYasha, you are going to need a watch in this era. Everything is about being in the right place at the right time.” Sesshomaru reached into his pocket, and pulled out a box. Opening it, he revealed the contents.
 
“What do I do with it?” InuYasha asked, while Mama and Kagome both gasped.
 
“Will you help my brother put this on?” Sesshomaru asked Kagome, as he held the open box in her direction.
 
Kagome's hands were shaking as she took the box and carefully pulled the watch from it.
 
“Kagome, what's wrong?” InuYasha asked worriedly.
 
“No…nothing, it's just that it's a Rolex,” Kagome said softly as she admired the watch.
 
“Is that good?” the hanyou asked.
 
Sesshomaru actually laughed.
 
When Kagome fastened the Explorer II watch around his wrist, his obvious hanyou features suddenly vanished. He was a dark complexioned man with silver hair and deep brown eyes. Kagome could appreciate that he wasn't so different that her friends would really notice.
 
“Well, at least they picked one that could take a pretty good beating if it needed to,” the miko commented. “That's a pretty tough watch.”
 
“Yes, that one is for cave explorers and the like. We knew that InuYasha might still get into trouble. And Kagome, we didn't want you to feel left out,” Rin said as she produced a similar box.
 
“For…for… for me?” Kagome asked. “But why?”
 
“Because we wanted to,” Rin responded. “Here, let me help you put it on.”
 
Kagome had to admit, it was hard not to admire the 18K white gold Rolex Lady Datejust as Rin placed it on her wrist.
 
They were interrupted once again by a loud growl from Kagome's stomach, only this time, it was also joined by InuYasha's.
 
“I would say that it is time to go out for lunch,” stated Sesshomaru. “The car is waiting.”
 
 
Kagome was still laughing when it was time for them to return to the shrine. Shippou and his mate kept them entertained the entire afternoon with their stories. Kagome was so happy for him, and she liked his mate very much. They had promised to try and arrange for her to meet their kits, though it unlikely they could meet them all at once. There were four of them scattered around the globe, with two of them working as magicians. Rin had made the comment that it was fortunate that their children did not take as long to mature as Shippou did. They were all anxious to make their way in the world.
 
Shippou had also informed the miko that Kirara was still alive and well, though she didn't stay in one place for very long at a time. She showed up where he was living at one point, and stayed with him for a while. The cat tended to roam between Shippou's home and that of Lord Sesshomaru, and sometimes she would just disappear completely for a while. The kitsune warned Kagome and InuYasha that Kirara wore a collar that disguised her true appearance, so that if she ever had a cat show up that looked like Kirara but had only one tail, and was wearing a collar with a boomerang charm hanging from it, that was indeed the fire cat.
 
Shippou also told them the story of how he met Akane. It was when he finally decided to leave the village and search for Sesshomaru. He had hoped that the Taiyoukai would be able to direct him to other kitsune, adults that could help him learn to hone his powers. He ran into Akane along the way, alone and nearly starved. Her parents had been killed by the villagers nearby, and she was running for her life. She was younger than Shippou and absolutely terrified. She even tried to run from him when he ran into her, but then realized he didn't want to hurt her. Once she calmed down, he explained where he was going and why, and asked her to come with him. Akane agreed, and they'd been together ever since.
 
Sesshomaru just shook his head. One fox child was enough, but two? They were a handful. However, they both were highly intelligent, and the girl wasn't nearly as spoiled as Shippou was. It was also because of her that the young male finally decided it was time to grow up. Come to think of it, maybe two kitsune were less trouble than one, after all.
 
 
 
 
Kagome had thrown herself into her schoolwork after the visit with Shippou. While she wasn't back to normal yet, she seemed to be getting better. InuYasha was relieved that she wasn't crying as often as she had been, and he could cheer her up by retelling some of the stories from Shippou. Even the hanyou admitted that the runt had turned out all right and that he was proud of him. When Kagome went online and found Cyril's website and showed InuYasha some of his illusions, he had to admit that the kit had done good. Whether on purpose or by accident he didn't know, but Shippou had found the perfect profession for himself.
 
 
The reminder that they were back here for good came with the new moon. The well sealed permanently as InuYasha turned human for the evening. This time, he just sighed. Kagome took one look at him, and he thought she was going to cry again. Instead she muttered, “Finally,” and went back to her schoolwork.
 
Silently, he went out to the well and pulled back the doors that were again covering the ancient structure. Throwing the rope ladder over the side, he then jumped in. Nothing happened. Satisfied that the well was indeed sealed, he climbed back out, removed the ladder, and replaced the cover. He looked at the new seals that now were over the well to keep anything that didn't belong in present day Japan out. Kagome had written these sutra herself, and they packed a lot of power. Unlike the ones that covered it back when Jii-chan first tried to keep anything, including him, from coming through, these worked.
 
InuYasha returned to Kagome's bedroom that he shared with her. He silently changed for bed and then threw back the covers and climbed in. Kagome was still studying at her desk, and he didn't say anything, not wanting to disturb her. Closing his eyes, a heavy sigh escaped him. His human half so badly wanted to be with her, but was terrified that he was now a reminder that the well was closed to them forever. InuYasha was somewhat startled when Kagome removed her clothes, and then joined him under the covers.
 
“InuYasha?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Why don't you want to be with me anymore?” Kagome asked with a sniffle.
 
InuYasha opened his eyes to find he was looking directly into her tear-filled grey ones. “Ka…Ka…Kagome. I thought you were upset with me. None of that would have happened if I were human and not just a hanyou. I didn't want to do anything to make you either mad or sad again.”
 
“You thought I was mad at you? That's why you haven't tried to make love to me since we came home?”
 
InuYasha nodded. “I've wanted to so many times, but you've been so down since we came back. And then you just threw yourself into your books and became so serious. I haven't even been able to tell you that I wanted to learn to read better here and write in your script. I was waiting for you to work everything out, and tell me what you wanted.”
 
Kagome softly kissed him on the lips. “I'm so sorry, InuYasha. I thought you were upset with me for kissing you and causing us to be chased away. It was all my fault. None of it would have happened if I'd just listened to you.”
 
“No, Kagome, it wasn't your fault, either. It was something I've lived my whole life with. Now do you understand why I was so willing to come here to live with you? Even if I have to hide what I am, at least your family accepts me as I am. Never, before I met you, did I truly have a place to belong.” InuYasha reached up to wipe away her tears away with his thumb. “Don't cry, Kagome. It was never your fault, and I never blamed you.”
 
Kagome leaned in to kiss him again as she reached inside his pajamas to find his length. She wrapped her hand around him and whispered, “Love me, please?”
 
The hanyou turned human for the evening broke their kiss long enough to struggle out of his pajamas. While he pushed the bottoms down his legs and off, Kagome rolled on her back and opened herself to him. He reached between her legs to gently stroke until she was ready for him, and then he moved over her, looking into her eyes. He felt her hand grasp him gently to guide him in, and he pushed forward.
 
InuYasha let out a sigh as he entered her and filled her completely. He pressed his forehead against her shoulder, his hair tickling her chin as he began to thrust. She was so tight and hot around him, and he was so relieved to be inside of her again that he only thrust a few times before he spilled himself inside of her. Raising himself using his forearms, he lowered his mouth to hers to kiss her again.
 
“I love you, Kagome, never forget it. I know I don't say it often enough, but I do. Gods, you feel so good…” he whispered.
 
“Is that why…” Kagome couldn't finish her question. She didn't want to embarrass him.
 
“I'm sorry. I was just so relieved that you weren't mad at me. I'll make it up to you.”
 
Kagome wrapped her hands around his head, with her thumbs in front of his human ears. “It's okay, InuYasha. I understand, and we've both been under a lot of stress. Why don't we get some sleep, and you can make it up to me later?”
 
InuYasha leaned down to kiss her again. “All right, Kagome. Are you sure you're okay?”
 
“I am, knowing you still love me. I'm still a little upset over everything that happened, but that will only heal with time. I think I'll take Rin up on her offer and go shopping. She's been staying in Tokyo and told me to give her a call. Tomorrow, I think I will.” Kagome saw the look on his face and giggled. “That's how she said Sesshomaru felt about shopping. You can stay here. We need to plan the engagement party, anyway, so I think we'll have a girls' day out.”
 
He kissed her one last time before rolling off of her and on to his side. “As long as you're happy.”
 
“Thanks, InuYasha,” she said as she snuggled up to him, her back pressed against his chest.
 
“Keh.”
 
 
With the dawn came a new day, and his transformation back to hanyou. As usual, his morning erection was pressed into her thigh, but he didn't plan on acting on it unless she wanted him to. His answer came as she threw her leg over his, and guided him into her. This time, he was determined to bring her pleasure as well. He snaked his right arm under her body to reach around her leg to find her nub, his left cupped her breast, and he began to suckle on her mark as he started to pound into her. Kagome pulled the pillow to her mouth to muffle her scream as she came and clamped down on him. That was all he needed to find his completion and explode into her. InuYasha wrapped his arms around her and nuzzled her neck. He held her like that until she was ready to get up.
 
 
Mama could tell that things were at least a little better when the pair came down after taking a shower and getting dressed. InuYasha looked much happier this morning than he had lately, and her daughter did as well. She smiled when Kagome told her that she was calling Rin to take them both shopping and to start planning the engagement party, and nodded in agreement.
 
 
 
Rin came around in the Limo two days later mid-morning to pick up Kagome and Mama. Kagome kissed InuYasha on the cheek and told him to behave himself while they were gone. Considering the list of things they had to do, they expected to be gone most of the day, though they should be home in time for dinner. However, Jii-chan and InuYasha were on their own for lunch. The two men nodded in understanding, and the driver closed the door. InuYasha and Jii-chan stood and watched the limo drive away.
 
“Well, InuYasha, what do you have planned for the day?” Jii-chan asked.
 
“Nothing, really; whatever you want me to do, I guess,” the hanyou responded.
 
“Do you remember my proposition right after you came back, about translating the scroll that was with those san san kudo cups?” the old man asked.
 
InuYasha nodded in response.
 
“Well, today might be a good time to start, with the ladies out all day. We won't have any interruptions. We can work on my table at the shrine so we'll have plenty of room,” Jii-chan said as he started walking in that direction with the hanyou following.
 
“You know, I really don't know why I could not transcribe even the later entries. I usually can at least make out the script from the middle of the last century, but I did not have any luck with this one, at all,” he added.
 
The elderly priest went to collect the scroll and also a blank one to transcribe it onto, and returned to the table where InuYasha was not so patiently pacing nearby.
 
“You don't sit still for very long, do you?” he asked with a chuckle.
 
“Sorry, but it was a good way to get killed in my time. It'll take me a while to get used to it,” InuYasha answered, blushing.
 
“It's all right, Son, I was just giving you a hard time. Now, let's see what we have here.” Jii-chan unrolled the old scroll, and InuYasha held the right end down with his hand.
 
“Let me see the other end as well,” InuYasha said as he stared at the script in front of him.
 
Jii-chan fully unrolled the scroll, and slid it down. InuYasha studied it and said, “It looks like they tried to keep it in the same script it was started in. They probably passed it down for as long as it was needed. This last entry may be the last person who knew how to read and write it.”
 
“So you think you can do it?”
 
“Keh, I think so. It won't be easy, though. Are you ready, Jijii?” InuYasha asked as he slid the scroll back down the table so that the right side was in front of him again.
 
“I'm ready when you are,” he replied.
 
“I'll work it out in my head first, and then read out loud what it says. It'll probably come faster as I get used to the handwriting,” InuYasha said softly.
 
Jii-chan nodded, and then realized that he was already reading. “I understand.”
 
 
They worked through the entire day like that, InuYasha reading to himself before he read it out loud for Jii-chan to record. His voice shook to start with and then leveled off. He couldn't help but to almost choke on his own words a couple of times, and he grew angry at least once. Realizing how important this could be, he kept pushing forward, stopping only when Jii-chan needed a break from writing and for lunch. They were still at it when the girls returned home from their shopping expedition. Kagome came out to check on them, and they were so close to being finished that InuYasha told her they would be in for dinner once they were done. However, Jii-chan overruled him and said that they would eat, but then they could come back afterwards and complete the last entries. Reluctantly, InuYasha agreed and followed him into the house.
 
InuYasha desperately wanted to get back out and finish transcribing the scroll, but was side tracked by the chatter from Kagome and Mama. He had to admit, she seemed happy after her day out with Rin. She and Mama both talked about what they had purchased, as well as the plans they had made for the engagement party and the pre-planning they had started for the reception once she finished school. InuYasha couldn't help but to smile as her face lit up.
 
“Are you ready to go back out?” Jii-chan asked as Mama cleared his dishes away.
 
“Keh,” the hanyou answered as he stood and placed his in the sink.
 
Mama and Kagome just looked at each other, and Souta looked puzzled. They would have to wait until the two were ready to share whatever it was they were working on.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Approximately fifty years after Kagome and InuYasha disappeared forever through the well:
 
Miroku looked at the san san kudo cups that were sitting on the low table in front of him. The two sets of cups were neatly stacked, with the largest of the three on the bottom, to the smallest on top. Dipping his brush into the ink, he began writing on the blank scroll in front of him.
 
My dear friends InuYasha and Kagome,
 
I hope that, one day, this scroll will find its way into your hands. I am going to ask that my children, and then their children, continue to pass it down through the family along with these cups that you brought to us for our wedding ceremony. They have been a cherished possession of our family, and have helped to wed our sons and daughters, when they were ready.
 
I feel that I do not have much longer, as I have become weary with age. Sango joined her family and friends that were murdered by Naraku just a few days ago and I am lost without her. I see her in my sleep, calling to me, and I know that I will soon join her. However, I wanted to leave this written record for you and am asking our children, and then their children, to add to it as they see fit.
 
Sango bore me five beautiful children: three daughters and two sons. Our first daughter was born ten moons after you left us forever. We named her Yorokobi, because we were so joyful when she arrived. She was followed by our first son, who we named Ichiban.Tenshi came nextand was named thus because she was a lovely as an angel when she arrived. We seemed to be blessed with beautiful children and named our fourth, another girl, Bijin. Our last was another son. He came out kicking and screaming even more so that the others. I joked that he was most like his mother as we named him Yuukyou.
 
All of our children have made us proud. The first and last two have all inherited my spiritual power and have chosen to use it. Both girls have trained and become miko, but we have encouraged them to fall in love and marry, having learned from watching Kagome. As with her, their love made them stronger, not weaker when they followed their hearts. They now have children of their own and have again passed on their spiritual power to them. Our youngest son became a Buddhist monk, as was I. I hope I see him once more before I pass on to the next world.
 
Old Kaede lived another ten summers after you left. She died peacefully in her sleep, and we laid her to rest. She passed most of her duties on to me until our eldest daughter was ready to assume them. She, too, thought of you often. She also reminded us that Kagome was meant to return to her home, and that InuYasha belonged with her. She always hoped that InuYasha found love and acceptance in a world that we could never really comprehend. However, we all felt there must be a chance if such a pure and happy soul as Kagome came from there.
 
Shippou is still with us, as is Kirara. Apparently Kitsune age very slowly. We finally had to accept that he probably was not going to grow up during our lifetime. Hopefully, some day, something will happen that will make him want to. As of right now, he is still a child, though larger than when you last saw him. He is at least up to my shoulder now.
 
I have never forgiven myself for what happened on our wedding night, and would have given anything to see you again so that I could thank you, and then tell you goodbye. What happened never should have, and I feel that it was my fault. If you should come to read this, please know that I was honored that you were my friends. Yes, even you, InuYasha. I know your heritage was much despised by my fellow humans, but please accept that I appreciate every minute that I spent with you. You taught me things I would not have otherwise learned; you made me see things through another set of eyes. While I understand why you left the way you did that night, hardly a day has gone by that I have not thought of you in some way. You may not be completely human, but you are a good and honest man. Take care of your lovely bride.
 
Kagome, Sango always cherished you as her best friend, and even as a sister. She missed you greatly, but was grateful for the time she had been able to spend with you. She was angry with me until the next new moon, and at that point, she knew you would have been gone and she finally allowed me into her bed. She thought of you often and wondered about how you might do something before she tried something new.
 
My eyes grow tired, so I think I must sleep now. Wherever you are, I hope that you will remember me and my lovely wife Sango fondly, as we have you.
 
Miroku
 
 
~Entry by Ichiban
 
Father passed away in his sleep and has been put to rest so that his soul can join Mother's. They are buried side by side. We've heard many stories of Kagome and InuYasha over the years and wish that we could have known you. We will honor Father's wish to pass down the stories and the sake marriage cups, along with this scroll. We know that some day, it is supposed to find its way to the Higurashi Shrine.
 
 
~Entry by Ichiban's granddaughter, Nikkou
 
We have begun to erect a larger shrine on the property. Word of the blessings that have been bestowed on many who visit here has spread and we need more room. We are also insuring to protect the ancient tree that stands near the Bone Eater's Well. It is sacred, and must be preserved.
 
 
~Entry by Nikkou
 
An InuYoukai appeared at our village today and wished to hide temporarily among us. He has a young woman with him, as well as an ancient Kappa. He revealed that he is the Lord of the Western Lands and the half-brother of the famed InuYasha. Humans are ruthlessly hunting down youkai and exterminating them; they have little defense against the guns that have become widespread. The kitsune Shippou, who used to live in this village, was also with him, along with a vixen about his same age. Shippou had the ability to help create an illusion to hide the demon features of the magnificent youkai, but they needed a safe place where they would not be given away. We told him he was welcome here; that we had heard many of the stories that had been passed down about them. We have a spare hut for travelers on the grounds, so they were told they could stay there for as long as they needed.
 
 
~Entry by Kouun, Year 1870
 
The empire has announced that the common people may choose surnames. Those of us still here that are descendents of Miroku and Sango have chosen the name Higurashi, in honor of the powerful priestess that once visited here.
 
 
~Entry by Kouun, Year 1875
 
Word has again spread of our humble shrine, and we have visitors from all over. The village near us continues to grow and prosper. Many believe it is because of the shrine itself, and they come here to say their prayers and to be blessed. Because all of us who attend it are known by the surname Higurashi now, the shrine has become known as the Higurashi Shrine. We hope that it will continue to be a blessing for all who visit here. Many gifts are brought to the shrine and an additional storage building has been built. There are a great many ancient things hidden in the buildings around the grounds; many are blessed, and some are cursed items that were brought for safe keeping; if only there were time to catalog everything that has been delivered here. We have also instigated a program to try and collect treasures to be carried here for safekeeping. There are some things that may not be monetarily valuable, but are historically. There are items that surely, some day, someone will wish they have saved; items as simple as these cups that accompany this scroll.
 
 
~Entry by Chou, Year 1895
 
It has become necessary to construct a house to protect the old well. No one has ever really been able to explain why things can be dropped into it and disappear, as well as items that appear out of nowhere. The wood is ancient, and the weather can be brutal. It has been decided that a structure will be built to protect it from the elements as well as curious humans. There are ancient legends that it is called the Bone Eater's Well, perhaps there is some truth in the name.
 
 
“Well, that's the last entry,” InuYasha said, his voice, and even his hands, shaking.
 
“So, the san san kudo set that was left behind, was actually the one that was here in the shrine,” Jii-chan said with wonder.
 
“Yeah. Did you get all of that down? Kagome needs to see it for herself. I don't know that I could read it all again,” the hanyou whispered.
 
“Yes, Son, I have everything right here,” the old priest stated. “Should we go in the house and share the news?”
 
InuYasha stood up and carefully rolled the old scroll back up. He nodded and headed for the door with Jii-chan right behind him.
 
“Kagome? Would you come here?” InuYasha called out when they reached the kitchen. He knew she was in the living room, watching television.
 
“What is it, InuYasha?” He had to admit she was looking much better. He hoped this would do the trick. “Your grandfather has something to show you.”
 
Kagome sat down at the kitchen table, and the old priest rolled out the scroll he had translated the ancient one on to. “This is the transcript of the scroll that was with the san san kudo set that was left when you had to come home. I thought you should read it.”
 
“I'm so sorry, Jii-chan, I didn't mean-”
 
Jii-chan cut her off. “I do not blame you one bit about what happened. This scroll has some of the history not just of those cups, but of the shrine. We thought you should see it.”
 
Mama had joined them in the kitchen and sat down next to Kagome. Together, they started reading.
 
Mama's eyes grew wide and tears started to pour down Kagome's cheeks as she read. InuYasha and Jii-chan sat across the table in silence, letting them absorb what they were seeing.
 
Mama was the first to speak, “So Miroku and Sango, the couple that you two traveled with-”
 
“Are Jijii's and Kagome's ancestors,” InuYasha finished for her. “Well, and Souta's, too. Thank the kami he doesn't seem to have the makings of being a lecher,” InuYasha had to snicker at his own joke. He needed something to break the tension.
 
“You mean… Miroku and Sango…” Kagome started.
 
InuYasha just nodded. “Kagome, it's because of you that they even met. Everything that has happened was because you fell through that well on your fifteenth birthday. I know you were worried about doing something to change the past, but the past is what it is because you were there. Not to mention, I'm not still pinned to that tree out there in an enchanted sleep. Kagome, everything is as it was meant to be.”
 
“It is?” the miko asked, a smile starting to appear on her face.
 
“Yes, it is,” InuYasha responded, happy to see her smile for real again.
 
Kagome got up from the table as did InuYasha. She threw herself into his arms, which he gladly wrapped around her. Lowering his face to hers for a soft kiss, he knew that everything was going to be all right. His Kagome was back, and the gods help anyone who got in her way.
 
 
~finis~
 
 
Yorokobi: Joy
Ichiban: Number One
Tenshi: Angel
Bijin: Beautiful One
Yuukyou: Brave Strength
Nikkou: Sunshine
Kouun: Lucky
Chou: Butterfly
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
This is the end of Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal, and at this time, the end of the Live and Let Die series. Thank you to everyone who stayed with me for the ride, left me a review, or sent an encouraging email. I appreciate all of you who took a minute to let me know what you thought. I also must thank those of you who were involved in nominating or voting on any of the three stories in the series at either the InuYasha Fanfiction Guild, or the Feudal Association. I am grateful for all of the awards that I have received there.
 
Until next time,
 
doggieearlover ^~^