InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 4: Justification ❯ Cold Feet ( Chapter 55 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
~~Chapter 55~~
~Cold Feet~

Bellaniece rolled over in bed and leaned on her elbows to stare at the sleeping hanyou beside her.  Bathed in the soft light of the waxing moon, he slept so soundly that she had to wonder if anything at all could wake him.

'He's beautiful, isn't he?'

Bellaniece smiled to herself as she gently brushed his hair out of his eyes.  'Beautiful . . . Yes, I suppose you could say that . . . A beautiful heart, and a hot-as-hell body . . .'

'You sound so superficial, Belle.  There's more to Kichiro Izayoi than his looks.'

'I know,' she agreed though her smile didn't wane.  'But you have to admit, his looks are an added bonus.'

And yet she knew deep down that it really didn't matter, how he looked on the outside.  The wonder of him came from within.  He was amazing, and despite his outer gruffness, Bellaniece knew that he really possessed a gentle soul.

'Everything I've ever thought of finding in a mate . . . Everything . . .'

Her smile dimmed as she stretched out beside him, curled against him with her head nestled in the crook of his shoulder.  She couldn't quite shake the feeling of reluctance, the one last factor that kept her happiness from being complete.

'Daddy . . .'

How would Cain react, when he found out?  Surely he'd be pleased.  He only ever wanted her to be happy.  The sense of finality about telling him, though . . . That frightened her, and as much as she adored Kichiro, as much as she had come to rely on him always being there . . . As much as she loved him . . . she loved her father, too.

Bellaniece sat up again, leaning closer to kiss Kichiro's cheek.  Careful not to wake him, she scooted off the bed, shrugged on her pale lavender silk robe, and after pulling her journal out of her nightstand, she slipped out of her bedroom and down the hallway.

Cain's room was still filled with his presence.  As though he'd just left it, the feeling of security lingered.  Bellaniece smiled to herself as she hopped onto the massive bed, leaned over to flick on the small bedside lamp.

Writing in her journal had been something that she'd done sporadically but always—always—she'd noted the most important happenings in her life.  In those pages were the scribbled memories of a lifetime of firsts.  All the things she hadn't been able to tell her father; all the things she'd never said to a single soul were contained in those pages.  She hadn't thought to take the journal with her to Japan.  Then again, she was only supposed to have stayed there a few days.  How could she have known then, that those few days would change her life?

'Kichiro . . .'

Nearly four months since she'd met him; nearly six weeks that they'd been here, in Maine . . . A little over a week since they'd returned from New York . . .

Kelly's first surgery was a cautious success.  She hadn't suffered any complications and seemed to be healing well.  Kichiro had mentioned that they could return to Japan soon.  Bellaniece was anxious, yet reluctant to end the idyllic time they had spent together here.  A return to Tokyo meant a return to her father's ever-watchful vigilance, and as much as she missed Cain, she had to admit that she wasn't sure what she'd do, once they were back, once her nights became long and lonely.

'Kichiro gave me my first and last lesson today.  I tried; I really did.  I just don't like the idea of trying to hurt him.  I mean, it seems wrong.  I shouldn't want to throw him around, and I don't want to . . .' Bellaniece stopped, tapping the end of the pen against her lips.  'I can understand his concern, but really, I trust him to keep me safe.  I don't think there should be more to it than that, after all.  Isn't that what mates do?  Protect each other?

'He's so amazing.  In fact, he astounds me every day.  Sometimes I think he knows me better than I know myself, and that doesn't really bother me nearly as much as it should.  I mean, when I stop and think about Daddy and about the things that I can't ask, it makes me wonder if Daddy realizes that I know anything at all.  I hope Gin can convince him to stick around.  Kichiro says it's impossible not to adore her, and I believe that.  I just hope that Daddy adores her enough to want be with her.  I just want him to live, even if it isn't for me.'

Impatiently brushing away an errant tear, Bellaniece sighed and sat up.  Cain's presence was so strong in the room, and while it comforted Bellaniece, it also made her a little sad.  Sure, she knew as well as anyone, that parents were supposed to die before their children.  Did it really matter when the whole idea of losing her father was something that she just couldn't stand?  As much as she hated to admit it—afraid that it would make her a bad person—Bellaniece couldn't help but feel just a little resentful, too; resentful toward a mother she didn't remember—resentful toward a woman who had a stronger hold over Cain in death than Bellaniece had over him in life . . .

"What are you doing in here?"

Bellaniece started and glanced up at the hanyou standing in the doorway with a marked scowl.

"I couldn't sleep," she ventured, hoping her smile reassured him.  "I didn't want to wake you . . ."

"Come back to bed, Belle-chan."

She nodded and glanced at her journal.  "I will," she told him, "in a minute."

"I'm awake now.  You can do whatever you're doing in there," he told her.

She started to answer but paused when she noticed the irritation on his face.  Glaring around the bedroom like he expected something or someone to jump out of the shadows and attack, she stifled a giggle and cleared her throat.  "Are you afraid to come in here?" she asked.

"Keh!  No!  Hell, no!  I'm not afraid of anything, least of all your father, princess."

"Then why don't you come in here and sit with me?" she challenged.

"No, thanks . . . this room reeks worse than the rest of the house."

Bellaniece rolled her eyes and tucked her legs under her.  "So you won't come in here because it smells like Daddy?  Is that what you're saying?"  When he didn't answer, she giggled.  "Daddy's harmless!  Well, maybe not harmless . . . He wouldn't hurt you, though, because you're my mate."

Kichiro didn't look impressed with her claim.  He snorted again and shook his head.  "I could have sworn, I told you, I'm not afraid of your old man."

"I know you're not," Bellaniece said, waving her hand dismissively.  "You sure you don't want to come in here?  Daddy had this bed specially made . . . biggest bed in the mansion . . ."

The look of complete and utter disdain was too funny not to laugh at.  He looked like she'd just suggested that the two of them get married and ask Cain to live with them.  "Oh, you've got to be joking," he growled, his tone making it clear that he didn't find the jest amusing in the least.

"So you're saying that you wouldn't make use of the biggest bed in the house, no matter whose it was?"

"Hell, no, wench!"

"Not even in your mother and father's bed?"

"Especially not in my old man's bed!  I was conceived in that bed . . . ugh!"

"Now that you mention it . . ."

His skin looked absolutely sallow, and he shook his head as he gaped at the oversized bed with a horrified scowl.

"Oh, relax . . . I happen to know that Daddy just got this bed five years ago or so."

That didn't seem to appease him.  Kichiro snorted and leaned against the far wall in the hallway.

"What are you doing?" she asked dubiously.

"Waiting for you."

She looked around slowly.  "Are you trying to tell me that you won't come in here?"

"Yeah, that sounds about right."

"Why not?"

He sank down against the wall as a rather petulant pout surfaced.  "I told you, wench . . . It reeks in there."

"But I'm in here."

"I know," he grumbled, ear laying back as he snorted in obvious disgust.  "I'll stay out here; it's fine . . . Never mind me . . . Whatever."

"So as long as I'm in here, you won't come after me?"

"Don't sound so pleased, princess.  I just don't want your father's stench all over me."

Bellaniece giggled.  "Oh, really . . .?  Well, I happen to know that I smell a lot like my father . . . Does that mean I stink?"

"You don't smell at all like him.  I've told you that, already."

Bellaniece set her journal on the nightstand and stood up, slowly wandering toward the open doorway.  "All right, you win . . . do your father and brother pout like you?"

Kichiro stood up and stalked toward her bedroom.  "I do not pout," he informed her.

Bellaniece stifled another giggle and followed him into the room.  "You do, you know.  It's okay, though.  You're cute when you pout."

"I don't pout," he pouted.

She crawled onto the bed and laughed as Kichiro wrapped his arms around her, slinging a leg over her to pin her in place, lest she should have the urge to wander again.

He kissed her cheek.  "Go to sleep, wench."

"Goodnight, Dr. Poutyface."

"Oi . . ."

She was asleep within minutes.


-8888888888888888888888888888888888-


Gin giggled as she handed the plastic bread wrapper to Cain before tearing the crust into small chunks and tossing them onto the ground in the midst of the gathering of ducks.

"They're so cute, aren't they?" she exclaimed softly, keeping her eyes on the ducks.

Cain rolled his eyes.  "They're ducks."

"Still!  Look!  They waddle!"

He chuckled as Gin swung her hand around for the bag but refused to look.  He dug out another slice of bread.  Gin laughed as the ducks swarmed her for the treat.  Breaking up the slice of bread, she tossed it to the creatures before dusting off her hands and flashing Cain a bright grin.  "Can we go buy another loaf of bread?"

"For the ducks?  Tomorrow, baby girl.  If you feed them too much, they'll get sick."

She nodded slowly and sighed, turning her attention back to the ducks as she lifted her hands, palms up.  "Sorry . . . Zelig-sensei said no."

"Zelig-sensei," he grumbled, tossing the bag into a nearby trashcan.  "Zelig-sensei, indeed . . ."

She grabbed his hand and tugged.  "How about we feed me now?  I'm starving!"

Cain snorted, sitting on a park bench and pulling Gin into his lap.  "You just had to feed the ducks first," he complained.

"I want to eat my way around Chicago," Gin remarked with a happy sigh.

Cain tried unsuccessfully not to laugh.  In the end, he snorted, sniggered, and burst into a loud chortle.  "Gin, I've told you, right?  Some things shouldn't be said out loud."

She blushed and hid her face against his chest.  "That's not funny, Cain!  I didn't mean anything bad . . ."

"I know you didn't," he told her.  "What a shame that it was, anyway."

"You shouldn't have told me about American food," she accused, her voice muffled by his white linen shirt.

"Come on, then . . . Might as well start feeding you . . ."

"That's right," she agreed.  "Lots and lots of food!  What's the best thing to have for breakfast?"

He coughed indelicately.  "You."

She gasped.  "Cain!"

"What . . .?  Oh, did you mean real food?"

"Yes, you dog," she grumbled.  He caught the tiny grin that lit her eyes and twitched at the corners of her lips.  "Real food."

"Oh, that . . . Hmm . . . Doughnuts, of course."

"Doughnuts?"

"Then I can take you to the museum, if you want."

Gin nodded.  "I'd like that!"

Cain spared another moment to hug her before he stood up, set her on her feet, and took her hand to pull her out of the park.


-8888888888888888888888888888888888-


"I think you should help me with my research."

Bellaniece rolled over and leaned on her elbows, trying to hide her amusement as she pushed a damp lock of sweaty hair off Kichiro's forehead.  "Oh?  You mean the condom research?"

He grinned rather wolfishly and shrugged.  "Well, sure . . . I mean, we're going to be mates eventually, right?"

"Are you sure you're not just trying to use this as an excuse to have sex?"

Kichiro looked properly offended.  "Would I do such a thing?"

"Yes, I think you would."

He chuckled but didn't deny it.  "Yeah, you can blame yourself, princess.  I can't help it if you put these thoughts in my head . . ."

Bellaniece blushed slightly but kissed him before she shook her head and ran her finger down the bridge of his nose.  "So now you're blaming me?"

"Hell, yes, I am!"

She giggled and sat up, reaching for her robe sprawled across the end of the bed.  "That figures."

He snaked an arm around her waist and pulled her down onto the bed, twisting around to pin her against the mattress.  "Really . . . and who was it that greeted me in her princess t-shirt and nothing else when I got back from the hospital?"

"I told you, I needed a soda, was all."

"Uh huh . . ."

"Sometimes I think you're using me for my body," Kichiro accused, nuzzling her neck as her giggling escalated.

"And this bothers you?"

"I feel so . . . debauched."

"Debauched?  Oh, please!"

"Absolutely . . ." He sat up and made a face.  "And now that you're satisfied—"

"For the moment," she cut in.

"For the moment," he agreed.  "I need a shower."

Bellaniece rolled over, propping her head on her hand as she watched Kichiro scoot off the bed, heading for the bathroom.

He stopped in the doorway and glanced over his shoulder at her.  "You know . . . You could join me . . ."

"I could," she agreed.  "In fact, I think I—" Wincing when the trill of her cell phone cut her off, Bellaniece sighed as Kichiro shook his head.  "—I think I'll answer that."

Kichiro ambled into the adjacent pink bathroom.  "Suit yourself, wench."

She rolled her eyes.  "Hello . . .?  Oh, hi, Daddy!"

'She's as bad as you are.'

Grinning as he adjusted the water taps and stood back to wait for the temperature to even out.  'Nope, she's worse.'

'Ryomaru in a skirt.'

Kichiro made a face.  'Okay, that's not even slightly amusing.'

'You're going to mate your baka twin.'

Kichiro stepped into the generous white tub and jerked the pink shower curtain closed, dunking his head under the harsh flow as he flattened his ears against his head and tried to ignore his irritating youkai voice.

'That's damn funny, Kich . . . talk about irony, at its best . . .'

'Belle's nothing like Ryomaru . . . Just because she likes to greet me in varying stages of undress—'

'Think about it!  She does things impulsively, just like Ryo.  How many times did he get you in trouble for not thinking things through?'

'Be that as it may, I still don't see that remarkable of a resemblance between Ryomaru and Belle . . . and I don't want to, come to think of it.'

It was odd, or so he thought.  He'd told Bellaniece that they could go back to Tokyo in a few days, if she was all right with that.  Kelly was recovering nicely, and there wasn't anything that he could do for her.  He'd been in the States for nearly a month and a half now.  He couldn't stay away from his practice too long, and it would take at least another three months or better before Kelly would be recovered enough to do the next operation.

He'd expected Bellaniece to argue with him.  Her friends were here, and she seemed to be so much more relaxed here than she was in Tokyo. To his surprise, she'd simply smiled and told him that she'd start packing.

So why did the idea of going back home bother him?

Rinsing shampoo out of his hair, Kichiro heaved a sigh.  'That's ridiculous!  Of course I want to go home!  My family, my business . . . my life is there!  The sooner, the better; that's what I say . . .'

He turned off the water taps and sighed as he pushed the curtain aside and reached for a towel.  He was just being stupid; that was it.  It wasn't like he hadn't realized they'd have to go home eventually.  Aside from the idea of Bellaniece having to stay with her father for the time being since she adamantly refused to let him tell Cain that Bellaniece was going to be his mate, everything would be the same, right?

'Nothing will change,' he assured himself.  'Nothing at all . . .'


~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~= ~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N
:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Final Thought from Bellaniece
:
Back to Tokyo …?
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Justification):  I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga.  Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al.  I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.

~Sue~