InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 4: Justification ❯ Creepers ( Chapter 93 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
~~Chapter 93~~
~Creepers~

Cain leaned in the doorway and smiled as he watched Gin.  Lying on her side with her arm wrapped protectively around the tiny bundle beside her, she muttered nonsense to the pup as she stared with wide-eyed wonder, as she giggled softly and sighed.  In the last few days since Kagome and Mikio had come home from the hospital, Gin had only been content to stay in bed when her brother was brought in to spend time with her.

"I take it you like him?" Cain asked, pushing himself away from the door and shuffling toward the bed.

Gin glanced up long enough to smile at him.  "He's beautiful!" she whispered, smoothing Mikio's thick silver hair, idly tracing the outline of his tiny hanyou ears.  Still flattened against his scalp, the infant didn't even blink as Gin brushed her knuckles against his downy cheek.  "So little . . . Mama said that I was the same size when I was born . . ."

"How big were your other brothers?"

She shook her head and shrugged.  "I'm not sure . . . I think they were about this size, too—maybe a little smaller.  They were born early because they were twins."

"How are you feeling?  Are you tired?"

"No, I'm fine," she insisted, her arm tightening around the infant but not enough to upset him.  "Don't take him; not yet."

"I won't," Cain promised, "but I think your mother was going to feed him soon."

Gin sighed.  "I'd do it if I could."

"That'd be a neat trick, considering," he remarked dryly.

Gin made a face.  "You're teasing me."

"Well, she is breast feeding," he pointed out with a soft chuckle.  "I'll go make a sandwich for you."

She looked vaguely distressed.  "Oh . . ."

"It's okay.  I'll be right back.  Don't worry about following me, okay?  Just stay here with Mikio.  I'll be right back."

She didn't look happy about his perceived defection, but didn't say anything when he kissed her forehead and patted the pup's head before heading out of the room again.  'At least she's not going to follow me this time,' he mused as he grabbed the paper sack of food that Bellaniece had delivered earlier.  He didn't mind that Gin wanted to keep him in sight at all times, but he didn't like how quickly she wore herself out, either.  Still, she was recovering at a remarkable rate.  He just wished that she would put on weight a little faster . . .

'She's putting on some weight,' his youkai pointed out.  'You can't really expect her to regain all of it that quickly, can you?'

'No,' he agreed after filling a glass with milk.  He dug two slices of soft white bread out of the bag and re-secured the open end with the twist tie.  'I don't think that at all.'

'She's doing fine.'

'I know she is, physically.'

'This is about her following you around?  But you like that, don't you?'

Cain grimaced.  In a way, he did.  In a way, he didn't.  He loved having Gin with him all the time.  On the other hand, he didn't doubt for a moment that her reason for doing so was that she was afraid deep down; afraid that he would leave her again.  'It's no way for her to live.  I don't want her to worry like that.'

Yesterday she'd followed him to the bathroom, of all things.  She sat on the floor with her back against the wall and a worried look on her face until he'd opened the door.

"What are you doing?" he asked, a hint of censure creeping into his tone.

"Waiting for you," she answered, holding up her hands so he could help her to her feet.  "I didn't know where you were."

He shook his head slowly.  "I told you when I gave you lunch," he reminded her since her lunch still sat untouched on the dining room table.

"I must not have heard you," she replied.

Cain sighed, setting aside the unopened jar of peanut butter and dug out a couple packages of Reese's peanut butter cups instead.  'Oh, and you think that her mother will like that?'

'Gin will.'

'Of course she will!  It's a candy sandwich!'

'It's peanut butter!'

'And chocolate.'

'Ever heard of Nutella?'

'Hardly the same!'

'It's chocolate spread.'

'Fine, if you don't want to listen to reason . . . God save you if Kagome sees Gin eating that . . .'

Gin crept down the hallway and into the open kitchen-slash-dining room.

"Where's the pup?" he asked.

She smiled tiredly and shrugged.  "Papa took him to Mama."

"I was just coming back."

"That's okay.  I can walk," she assured him.

"You don't have to follow me everywhere," he pointed out gently.

Gin shrugged.  "I like to," she insisted.

He shook his head but didn't argue with her.  "Come on," he prompted, picking up her sandwich in one hand and the glass of milk in the other.

Gin wrinkled her nose at the milk but followed him back to the bedroom again, stifling a yawn with the back of her hand.

"Why don't you lie down awhile?  You can eat after you wake up."

She looked like she wanted to argue, but nodded instead as she sank onto the edge of the bed and flopped back.  Cain set the sandwich and milk on the nightstand and pulled the covers over her.  "Will you lie down with me?" she asked, her voice groggy as her eyes drifted closed.

Cain smiled and stretched out beside her.  "Go to sleep, baby girl.  I'll be here when you wake up."

"Always?"

He kissed her forehead as she tangled her fingers into his ponytail.  "Always," he promised.

She fell asleep with a smile on her lips.


-8888888888888888888888888888888888-


Kichiro scowled at the article and slowly sank onto the sofa to read.  Normally not one to be interested by the art magazine his sister so adored, he only bought Artistic Impression in the hopes that Gin would spend some time reading instead of indulging her current obsession of following Cain everywhere he went.  In the week since she first woke up, she had regained strength remarkably quickly, and while she was far from being completely healthy, she was able to get up and walk with minimal assistance.

While Kichiro was of the mind that the exercise was good for her, he was also the first to admit that he didn't like Gin following Cain outside on the rare occasion that she woke up and he wasn't there with her.  The early November wind wasn't good for her, but she refused to listen to his admonishments that she remain inside, too.  'Hell, even Zelig's told her not to follow him outside.  She just can't stand to let him out of her sight . . . and maybe I can't blame her for that . . .' Everyone was afraid that she was pushing herself too hard to get better fast, and while they understood her motivation for the most part, they didn't want her to overdo it, either.  

In any case, Kichiro had stopped on his way home from the office to pick up a few magazines in hopes that he could sidetrack Gin into staying put and resting just a little more.  He was about to head over to his parents' house to deliver the magazine, however, when he leafed through it, a name had jumped out at him, and he'd stopped to read the article.

'The much-celebrated sculpture entitled 'Swan's Song', by the reluctant yet highly touted artist, Cain Zelig, will be offered at silent auction.  Though speculation has abounded, Mr. Zelig refuses to give a statement on the piece that has taken him over fifteen years to complete.  Rumored to be the last sculpture of his late wife, actress Isabelle Kroft, the art community will have its only opportunity to view the sculpture in person at the exclusive unveiling later this month at the New York Art Institute.

'Mr. Zelig hails from Maine, where he raised his only child: daughter, eighteen year-old Bellaniece Zelig-Izayoi. Mr. Zelig recently returned from a trip to Japan where he taught a semester at the University of Tokyo.  Sources say that Mr. Zelig stayed long enough to see his daughter married to renowned plastic surgeon, Dr. Kichiro Izayoi, before heading stateside once more.  When contacted in regards to obtaining a statement on behalf of the elusive artisan, business manager Ben Philips, said that Mr. Zelig would not be offering one.

''Swan's Song' has drawn marked interest in the past, shown here in a picture taken before its completion.  The curious state of the piece, along with Mr. Zelig's refusal to speak about it, led to much speculation in the art community.  The flowing lines and intricate detail are hallmarks of Zelig's sculptures, and this one is no exception.  Admission to the exhibit is by invitation only, and it has not been stated, as yet, whether Mr. Zelig will venture out of Maine for the gala event . . .'

Growling at the hyphenated last name and wondering if it would be rude to call and inform whomever wrote the article that Bellaniece was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a 'Zelig-Izayoi', Kichiro closed the magazine and snorted.

'Rumored to be the last sculpture of his late wife, actress Isabelle Kroft . . .'

'If it's a sculpture of Belle's mother, why the hell didn't he give it to her?  All she has is a stupid little scrapbook . . .'

'He's got reasons for doing what he's doing, Kich.  As much as you wish otherwise, he ain't a total bastard.'

Kichiro snorted but didn't argue that point.  'So he'd rather sell it to a stranger than offer it to Belle?  Keh!'

'If you don't like it, do something about it.'

'Like what?'

'Make sure it don't end up being purchased by someone who won't understand the significance.'

'. . . Holy hell, you're making sense for once.'

'. . . Baka.'

He scowled at the cover for a moment before leafing through it to find the article again.  Carefully running his claw down the paper as close to the binding as he could, Kichiro extracted the page and folded it up before neatly tucking it into his pocket.

The picture on the page reminded him . . . He'd seen that sculpture before.  It had stood on the table behind the sofa in Zelig's apartment.  If it really was the last sculpture of Bellaniece's mother . . .

Dropping the magazine onto the others he'd picked up to entertain his sister, Kichiro dug the paper out of his pocket again and scanned the article for the name—Zelig's business manager.  He strode over to the telephone and dialed the number for international information.  "I need the phone number for Philips Ben or Benjamin.  Start with New York City, USA, please."

He refolded the paper as he waited and tucked it away once more.  The woman on the phone came back on the line, and Kichiro grabbed a pen to scrawl the phone number onto a notepad.  There were no less than ten listed numbers.  He made a face and wrote them all down.


-8888888888888888888888888888888888-


Gin bit into the sandwich with a happy sigh as she leafed through the pages of the wedding planner that Kagome had started for her a few days ago.  The hour long nap had done her a world of good, and even the moment of fleeting panic of Cain's absence when she woke was thwarted by the sandwich he'd left sitting on her nightstand.  He'd stuffed four Reese's peanut butter cups between two slices of white bread—American bread—and Gin hadn't wasted any time in reaching for it.

She hadn't actually discussed the wedding with Cain.  He seemed content to go along with whatever she wanted.  Kagome had brushed off Gin's worry over Cain's disinterest in planning the wedding by assuring her that men tended to leave such things to women.  The pomp and ceremony was, as Kagome explained it, mostly for the woman's benefit, anyway.  Still, Gin couldn't help but wish that he would show even a modicum of interest in the entire affair . . .

'Don't worry, doll.  He doesn't care so long as you're married as soon as you're able.  That should be enough, don't you think?'

'Sure, it's enough, but it's his wedding, too . . .'

'And he's content to let you have whatever you want.'

She smiled as she bit into the sandwich again.  'He is, isn't he?  I'll have to make sure to ask him what sort of cake he wants.  I can't make him a wedding cake, but maybe I can make one especially for him, anyway.'

Kagome peeked into the room and smiled.  "Oh, you're awake!  Good!  I just put Mikio down for a nap, and figured that we could get some stuff out of the way if you're feeling up to it," she said as she strolled over to the chair and sat down.

Gin nodded, pushing the wedding planner toward her mother.  "I don't think there's much left to choose . . . flowers and music, maybe.  Do you think we can book a band on such short notice?"

Kagome sighed, blowing her bangs straight into the air as she pondered Gin's question.  "I'm sure we can.  We might have to pay a little more, but that's not really a problem."  She leafed through the planner, scowling at some of Gin's shakily written notes.  "Gin, are you sure you're going to be well enough to be married in two weeks?"

"Yes," she insisted, sinking her teeth into the sandwich again.  Reaching for the milk, she swallowed a few big gulps and tried not to make a face.

"I don't want you to overdo it," Kagome remarked.  "Besides—What's that?"

Gin blinked and followed the direction of her mother's gaze.  Staring at the sandwich in Gin's slack hand, Kagome slowly shook her head as her eyes narrowed in suspicion.  "That isn't what it looks like, is it?"

"Uh . . . N-N-No," Gin answered, unable to keep herself from fidgeting under her mother's close scrutiny.

"Did Cain-san make that sandwich for you?"

Gin bit her lip for a moment as she leaned forward and shielded the sandwich from her mother.  "Yes."

"What's in it?" Kagome pressed.

Gin made a face.  "Peanut butter . . . cups," she allowed.

Kagome groaned.  "Oh, Gin . . . That's not a good meal . . ."

"Please don't take it away," Gin muttered when Kagome held out her hand.

"Candy's fine, but not for lunch."

"But—"

"Drink your milk, and I'll fix something healthier for you."

Gin's ears flattened as she handed over the sandwich and watched Kagome head for the door.  Heaving a sigh, she wrinkled her nose at the glass of milk on the nightstand.

'But I liked that sandwich . . .'

'Of course you did.  Too bad your mother's right.  That wasn't exactly the healthiest concoction . . .'

Gin slouched against the headboard and sighed.  'Peanut butter's healthy.'

'Maybe, but chocolate isn't.'

'I hope Mama isn't going to growl at Cain for it.'

Her youkai sighed, too.  'Don't hold your breath, Gin.  He really should have known better, don't you think?'

Gin winced.  'He just wanted to make me happy, and he knows I love peanut butter cups . . .'

'Cain's a big boy.  He'll survive a scolding, even one from your mother.'

She shook her head.  'I don't know,' she mused as she pulled the covers up over her legs.  'Mama can be a little scary when she's angry . . .'


-8888888888888888888888888888888888-


"So it's going to be a traditional Shinto ceremony?"

Cain shrugged and nodded.  "It's what she wants."

Bellaniece frowned.  "You don't?"

He grinned.  "I don't care.  I just want to have it over with."

Rolling her eyes, she giggled softly.  "But Gin'll make a beautiful bride."

"Of course she will," he agreed.  "I wish she'd wait another week or two."

Bellaniece pushed herself up onto the porch railing and idly kicked her feet.  "Kichiro said she's recovering remarkably well."

"She is, but she still gets tired really fast . . ."

"She'll be fine, Daddy."

He nodded but still looked dubious at best.

"Is something else bothering you?"

Cain sighed.  "Sort of . . . not really . . . I'm not sure what to do about it, though," he admitted.

Bellaniece rolled her hand, shaking her head in silent confusion.

Cain grimaced.  "It's stupid . . ."

"It can't be stupid if you're worried about it."

"I need my ceremonial clothes . . . and my Mokomoko-sama for the wedding."

"Oh . . ."

"Gin panics when I leave the room for a minute.  I don't think she'd react well if I left her, even if it was only for a few days to fly home and get it."

Bellaniece pondered that for a moment then shrugged.  "I could do it," she offered.

Cain rolled his eyes.  "Somehow I can't see Dr. Nefarious letting you fly across the sea alone . . . and I have to say, I don't like that idea, either.  It was bad enough, coming home to find his stench all over my house.  Nope, can't say that I want that . . . or worse."

"I could ask Ryomaru.  I don't think he'd mind."

Turning at the sound of Kagome's soft voice, Cain nodded but stopped short when he noticed the obvious irritation in her expression.  "If it's not a problem."

She shook her head and pulled her sweater tighter, crossing her arms over her chest.  "It's not a problem.  I had a question for you, though."

Cain blinked.  Why did he have the feeling that he was about to be in trouble?  "Okay."

Kagome pursed her lips and glanced out over the pond and forest before turning her attention back to the North American tai-youkai once more.  "Gin tells me you made her a sandwich."

"Uh . . . Yeah . . ."

"Out of a candy bar?" she asked pointedly.

Bellaniece coughed.  Cain rubbed the back of his neck self-consciously.  "Two, actually . . ."

"Two?  Really, Cain!  I'm surprised at you!  Would you have made Bellaniece that kind of sandwich?"

"What kind of sandwich did you make for her, Daddy?" Bellaniece interrupted, wicked light dancing in her gaze.

Cain blushed, unable to meet either of their gazes.  "Reese's."

Bellaniece pressed her lips together to keep from laughing out loud and had to clear her throat before she dared to speak.  "Actually, he has made those for me," she admitted.  "Not often, though."

"It was a treat," Cain grumbled, shuffling his feet on the weathered wooden patio.

Kagome sighed.  "She needs healthy foods."

"What do you expect from him?" InuYasha growled as he stomped up the steps onto the landing.  "Fucking stupid if you ask me . . ."

"InuYasha," Kagome called after him as he shoved open the door.  "What are you doing?"

"Keh!  Taking care of my pup," he grumbled before disappearing into the house.

"Peanut butter is good for you," Cain pointed out reasonably.

Kagome sighed.  "But that's all she's been eating since she woke up.  I think she needs some variety, don't you?"

"She likes peanut butter."

"That's fine, but no more candy sandwiches, please."

Cain shrugged.  "Okay, but I don't think she'll like that."

Kagome finally smiled.  "Thank you, and I'll ask Ryomaru about going to Maine when he stops by later."

He watched as she followed her mate into the house.  Bellaniece cleared her throat again and hopped off the railing.  "I can't believe you gave her a peanut butter cup sandwich," she remarked.

"I think I hear Dr. Dork calling you," Cain remarked.

Bellaniece laughed.  "He's at work.  Besides that, I came by to see you."

He snorted.  "Pfft!  Came by to laugh at me."

"Now you know that isn't true," she argued as she patted his cheek and headed for the door.  "I think I'll say hello to Gin before I head back home, though."

Cain followed his daughter inside and nodded.  "She'd like that, I'm sure."

Bellaniece led the way through the living room and down the hallway but stopped short when she reached Gin's room, clapping her hand over her mouth as she smothered a giggle.  Cain rolled his eyes at what he saw.

InuYasha was sitting in the chair beside the bed feeding his daughter ramen.  "Ramen's healthier than peanut butter?" he grumbled as Gin smiled at him.

"Apparently so," Bellaniece whispered back.

Cain just shook his head and stepped out of the way as Kagome entered the room with a bowl of rice.  "That's as bad as the sandwich," she remarked as she hurried over and slipped the bowl into Gin's hands.

"It is not!" InuYasha argued.

"Yes, it is."

"Keh!"

"'Keh', yourself, dog boy."

Gin grimaced as she stared at the rice.  "I'm full," she said though Cain doubted that either her mother or father could hear her.

InuYasha stood up and strode out of the room with Kagome close on his heels, giving him an earful about the nutritional value of ramen.

"Daddy, would you mind if I spoke with Gin alone?"

Cain frowned and narrowed his eyes.  "All right," he agreed slowly.

Bellaniece smiled at him and pushed herself onto her tip toes to kiss her father's cheek.  He took the rice from Gin and squeezed her hand before leaving the two women alone.

"Daddy's been so . . . peaceful . . . I don't think I remember a time when he seemed as content as he does now," Bellaniece said as she slipped into the chair.  "I wanted to thank you for that."

Gin shook her head and sipped the milk.  "I didn't do anything, really."

"You did.  You gave him a reason to want to live."

"Oh . . . well, I . . . I think he chose that, himself."

Bellaniece giggled softly.  "No, it's because of you.  I'm glad he found you."

Gin smiled then shot Bellaniece a nervous glance.  "You're sure?  You don't mind that he and I . . . That we . . .?"

"No, I don't mind.  I just want Daddy to be happy.  You know, way back when I first met you, I hoped that you and Daddy would end up together."

"Really?"

Bellaniece nodded slowly.

"I'm not . . . trying to take your mother's place," Gin murmured, her voice barely audible in the quiet room.

Bellaniece sighed.  "I know.  I don't really need a mother, but even if I did . . . We're friends, right?"

Gin's smile finally returned, and she nodded.  "I hope so."

"Daddy'll always be my daddy, but you and I will always be friends."

"You don't mind sharing him with me?"

Bellaniece laughed and waved a hand in blatant dismissal.  "I don't mind at all," she assured Gin.  "I've got my hands full, trying to keep up with your brother."

Gin laughed, too, then squinted slightly, like she was apologizing for whatever she was about to say.  "I love Cain."

"I hope so.  He's your mate, right?"

Gin's cheeks pinked as she nodded, her gaze nervously skittering away.  "My mate," she echoed.

"Just promise me you'll take good care of him."

"I promise."

Bellaniece grinned.  "Good, because I'll hold you to that one."

"Oh, I'll make sure I do."

"I know you will, Gin.  I know you will."


~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~= ~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Final Thought from Bellaniece
:
Two weeks until the wedding?
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Justification):  I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga.  Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al.  I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.

~Sue~