InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 5: Phantasm ❯ Unsettling ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 7~~
~Unsettling~
 
“I seriously think you need to get laid.”
 
Bas stopped short and swiveled his head to glower at Sydnie. Unsure if her completely nonchalant attitude bothered him more than the current subject that she refused to drop, he slowly shook his head and ignored the urge to tell her to shut the hell up.
 
“This is a waste of money.”
 
“Just pick one, and let's go,” he growled.
 
Wrinkling her nose at the array of winter coats, Sydnie shook her head and shrugged. “I don't need one, thanks.”
 
Bas sighed and rubbed his cheek, counting to twenty in an effort to keep control over his temper. “You might not now, but you will soon enough. Pick one, or I swear to God I will, and if I do, then I doubt you'll like it. You'll wear it, even if I have to put it on you, myself, but you won't like it.”
 
“Awfully good at tossing around the threats, aren't you, puppy? I'm youkai, or did you forget?”
 
“So?”
 
“So I don't get cold.”
 
“My ass.”
 
“And I don't need you to buy a coat for me.”
 
“Humor me.”
 
Her hand dropped away from the rack of coats as she slowly turned to eye him. Arms crossed over his chest, he blanked his features as he stared over the women's department without meeting Sydnie's gaze. “You've been in a bad mood since this morning,” she remarked, her lips twitching as a little smirk formed.
 
“Yeah, that tends to happen when I wake up with someone staring me down,” he growled.
 
Sydnie laughed before turning her attention back to the coats once more.
 
He couldn't understand her; not one damn thing about her. Most of the time, she acted like she couldn't stand him; as though she thought he was a stupid little puppy. The rest of the time? He straightened his back and told himself that she was trying to irritate him and that reacting wouldn't do him any good.
 
The rest of the time, she confused the hell out of him.
 
He'd fallen asleep in a chair after sitting up half the night, wondering if he was being foolish to leave her out of the handcuffs. Waking up this morning with the oddest feeling that someone was staring at him, he'd opened his eyes only to find her perched on the edge of the bed, clutching the coverlet in her hands as she leaned forward, eyes trained on his face and the most curious expression on her face. If she realized that he'd opened his eyes, he wasn't certain, but she'd continued to sit there for several minutes, staring at him without blinking, her gaze curious, almost fascinated . . .
 
What are you staring at, cat?” he demanded, sitting up and pushing the thin white blanket aside. He wasn't sure where the blanket had come from. He hadn't had it before he sat down.
 
She snapped out of her reverie, color rising in her cheeks as she deliberately stood up, arched her back, and stretched as a wry little smirk surfaced on her features. “Don't be silly, Bas the Hunter. I was just checking to see if you were dead.”
 
Wishful thinking, kitty,” he grumbled, tossing the blanket onto the bed and just missing Sydnie.
 
She blinked at it before shifting her gaze back to him, her eyes brightening as the smirk widened into a smile. “Do you always wake up crabby?
 
You'd be crabby, too, if you'd spent the night sitting up in that chair.”
 
He regretted the words about the moment they were out of his mouth. Back stiffening as she snatched up the blanket and shook it out, he could tell that he'd offended her yet again, only this time, he wasn't certain how.
 
“Hurry it up, will you?” he growled, shaking off the memory as the store came back into focus again.
 
“What's the rush?” she countered, pushing hangers back and forth but not bothering to pull any of the coats off the rack.
 
Bas sighed. “We were supposed to be on the road two days ago, Sydnie, that's what.”
 
“Oh, that? Incidentals, don't you think?”
 
“No, I don't think.”
 
Her answer was a mocking stare, her eyebrows arched as an impish smile taunted him. “You said a mouthful.”
 
“I don't feel like arguing with you. Just pick a coat, okay?”
 
“I don't like them,” she complained, stepping away from the rack and slowly shaking her head.
 
Bas regarded Sydnie for several long seconds before snatching a coat off the rack, grabbing her hand, and dragging her toward the cash register. “Good enough.”
 
“But—”
 
“You weren't picking one, and I warned you.”
 
“Will you—?”
 
“Nope.”
 
She heaved a sigh. “Really need to get laid,” she mumbled.
 
“Listen, cat—” he cut in, cheeks flaming.
 
“Are you always such a grouch?”
 
“Just when cats piss me off.”
 
“Aw, but this kitty loves the puppy.”
 
“Ri-i-i-ight.”
 
“Just think, Bas . . .” she began, her eyes narrowing into little slits as her smile widened to Cheshire cat-like proportions. Whatever was on her mind, he wasn't sure he wanted to hear it.
 
He stifled a groan, cheeks heating even more. “Sydnie.”
 
“You could have your own personal . . .”
 
He groaned. “Don't say it,” he warned, absolutely positive that he didn't want to hear whatever she was about to say.
 
“Private—”
 
“I'm warning you.”
 
Pussy.”
 
The hot color that he'd been struggling to hold back exploded in brilliant Technicolor in his cheeks, and Bas tightened his grip on her arm and propelled her forward as Sydnie's soft laughter taunted him.
 
“What's the matter, Bas? Don't like the allusion?”
 
“Allusion? Cat . . .”
 
She ran around him, planting her hands in the center of his chest as she positively beamed up at him. “Hmm?”
 
He swallowed hard, all too aware of just how beautiful the elusive youkai really was. Green eyes glowing as she gazed at him, she smiled at him, cheeks kissed with a soft pink flush, she laughed softly before leaning up on her toes to lick his cheek. “S-Sydnie . . .”
 
She giggled, cupping his cheek in her free hand. “Yes?”
 
He cleared his throat and knocked her hand away. “Come on.”
 
“I thought puppies were playful,” she pointed out with a melodramatic shake of her head.
 
“Maybe they are,” he grumbled, slapping the coat onto the counter. “Too bad I'm not one.”
 
“You're not? Are you sure?”
 
“Seventy-five dollars and thirty-nine cents.”
 
“That's highway robbery,” Sydnie informed him indignantly.
 
“Shut up, Sydnie.”
 
Mee-ow.”
 
Bas sighed, rolling his eyes as he dug a hundred dollar bill out of his pocket and dropped it on the counter. Swiping up the bag without waiting for his change or for the receipt, he grabbed Sydnie's hand again and hustled her toward the exit.
 
“You didn't wait for your change,” she pointed out.
 
“Acceptable loss.”
 
“Are you so rich you can toss money around like it's nothing?”
 
“I don't think it's nothing,” he said with a weary sigh. “I just didn't feel like standing around, waiting for you to say something else completely outrageous.” He wiped his cheek on his shoulder. “And no more licking.”
 
“I don't like that coat,” she told him, her eyes darkening as she slowly shook her head.
 
“At this point, I don't really give a rat's ass, what you like and don't like.”
 
“You're really not very nice, are you?”
 
Bas pulled her into a small drug store and jerked his head toward the hygiene products. “Need anything? Deodorant . . . toothbrush . . . whatever?”
 
She opened her mouth, probably to tell him that she didn't want or need a single thing from him, but she stopped, a perplexed look on her face, as if she were trying to decide if she weren't biting off her nose to spite her face. “I have money of my own,” she said grudgingly. “I'll buy my own toothpaste . . . and I don't need deodorant because I don't stink.”
 
“I just bought a coat for you that cost a helluva lot more than a few measly toiletries, Sydnie. Just pick out what you want, and let's go, okay?”
 
She smiled tightly and offered a nonchalant shrug. “I'll buy my own things.”
 
Rubbing his forehead, he nodded. “Fine. Whatever. Just move it.”
 
She shot him a glower before turning on her heel and stalking away, back straight and proud, the cloak of thick auburn hair cascading down her back as she moved, her body projecting an easy grace, a feline dexterity, a sense of subtle refinement. Bas watched her for a moment, the barest trace of a smile breaking over his features as he watched her haughty retreat. What was it about her that set him on edge? More than her penchant for saying things that could only be construed as intentionally outrageous, there was something about Sydnie that spoke to him without the need for words.
 
`Oh, awesome . . . I'm losing my mind.'
 
`Ehh, she's not so bad, Bas. Give her a break. It's not really as though she's coming along with you for the fun of it.'
 
`Well, no. I didn't think that she was.'
 
`And she's just trying to test her boundariestrying to see how far she can push you before you snap.'
 
`Snap? I'm well past snapping. I'm ready to throttle her . . .'
 
`Because she unsettles you? Come on. You're the next tai-youkai. You think your father ever got that rattled by your mother?'
 
Bas snorted, knowing very well that the one person on earth who could `rattle' Cain Zelig was, in fact, Bas' sweet little mother, Gin.
 
`Okay, bad analogy. Just think about it, though . . . She's keeps you on your toes; that's all. She's not all bad, and you know it.'
 
`Yeah, you're not helping . . .'
 
`Give her another chance. Who knows? You might like her.'
 
He wasn't sure if he'd go that far, but Bas finally nodded. `All right, fine. One more, but I swear to God, if she . . . licks me again . . .'
 
His youkai laughed. `That wasn't so bad.'
 
`The hell it wasn't.'
 
`You didn't like it because you didn't know how to take it.'
 
`She licked me! That has to be unsanitary . . .'
 
`Unsanitary? A hot as hell woman does something as personal as lick you, and all you can say is that it has to be unsanitary? Good God, Bas . . . you're a lost cause.'
 
Bas wrinkled his nose and tried not to blush as he looked around to find Sydnie. She grinned, sauntering toward him, and as she approached, he noticed two things. Firstly, she hadn't picked out anything that she might need for the trip. Secondly, she held a slip of paper in between her first and middle fingers. Narrowing his gaze on the suspect paper, he wasn't sure he wanted to know just what so obviously amused her now.
 
“How much do you love me, Bas the Hunter?” she gushed as she linked her arm through his.
 
“What did you do?” he asked, ignoring the sinking feeling in his gut that told him that he was better off not asking that particular question.
 
She grinned, eyes shining with mischief as deep dimples dipped into her cheeks, as his heart skipped a beat. Unable to think as precious seconds ticked away, he blinked in shock, in surprise as he realized somewhere in his Sydnie-clouded mind that this girl—woman—enigma . . . she was far more dangerous than he could have possibly imagined.
 
“See that girl?” she asked, tugging on his arm and pointing with the fingers that still held the slip of paper.
 
Bas slowly lifted his gaze, following the direction of Sydnie's outstretched hand. A tall blonde near the wall of coolers smiled timidly at him, raising her hand to wiggle her fingers. He scowled but lifted a hand to return the greeting. The girl giggled and whispered something to her friend. Sydnie tugged on Bas' arm again, and he shot her a sidelong glance. “What did you do?” he repeated, his tone cautious, almost reluctant.
 
She laughed. “I told you, puppy . . . you need to get laid.”
 
He groaned.
 
“She looks easy enough, don't you think? Not easy in a dirty way, but, you know: loose.”
 
The groan escalated into a low growl as disbelief gave way to irritation.
 
“Her name is Buffy, if you can feature that . . . Total sex-kitten, if you ask me. I wonder what her parents were thinking . . . I mean, what are the odds that she will ever find gainful employment with a name like that, right?”
 
“Sydnie,” he choked, hoping, praying, that he wasn't quite as red in the face as he suspected he was.
 
“Anyway, I figure she's a shoo-in, so to speak . . . Not even you can mess this up, pretty boy.”
 
“Absolutely not,” he snarled, grabbing Sydnie's arm and hustling her toward the doors.
 
“You should probably pick up a box of condoms,” she went on, trying to turn around.
 
He slung an arm around her shoulders and shoved her forward. She stumbled and caught herself on his jacket, but her mood hadn't waned, and she laughed. “Don't you want it?” she asked, waving the paper under his nose as they stepped out of the store into the plaza.
 
He shot her his version of the `We Are Not Amused' look and snatched the paper out of her fingertips. Scowl darkening as he read what had to be a phone number with the name `Buffy' scrawled above it, he crumpled it into a tight little ball and tossed it to the side before grabbing Sydnie's upper arm and shoving her toward the mall exit.
 
“Bas . . .”
 
“If you value your hide, you won't say a fucking word to me right now,” Bas bit out.
 
She sighed. “I was just trying to help you with your little problem,” she pointed out a little too reasonably.
 
“I mean it, cat . . . be quiet.”
 
“It's nothing to be ashamed of, you know. Sex is an integral part of a well-balanced psyche . . .”
 
“And just where did you hear bullshit like that?”
 
“Maevis,” she answered simply, giving the name of a popular talk-show host-slash-renowned sex therapist.
 
Bas growled and propelled Sydnie toward the exit again.
 
“She said that if you don't have sex, a part of you just sort of shrivels up and dies . . .”
 
“Damn it . . .”
 
“Care to guess which part, puppy?”
 
He stopped abruptly and swung around to face her, eyes blazing as he felt his skin shoot up in flames. Grabbing her arms and giving her a quick shake, he growled again when her smile only widened. “Stop it, Sydnie, I mean it! Just shut your pretty little mouth for five minutes!”
 
He glowered at her as her smile slowly disappeared. Blinking as she stared at him, she was speechless for once as a strange sort of brightness filtered into her eyes, and she nodded.
 
Pausing a moment to make sure that she'd gotten the message, he finally jerked his head in a curt nod, hands dropping away from her as he slammed open the mall doors and strode outside to the rental car.
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Bas wasn't sure what woke him. A dull thump . . . a muffled sob . . .
 
Sitting up in the chair where he'd fallen asleep and pushing the thin hotel stock blanket aside, he stumbled to his feet—they were tangled in the blanket—and he blinked in confusion as he slowly shifted his gaze around the small room.
 
The bed was rumpled where Sydnie had lain down. She wasn't there. The bathroom door stood ajar, blackness oozing from the threshold like a hideous gaping maw. He could feel her close; he knew her aura. He could smell her, sense her . . . he just couldn't see her.
 
Another soft sound . . . almost a whine; not quite a cry . . .
 
Scowling as he slowly shuffled toward the little alcove where the sinks stood outside the actual bathroom on the left, he glanced at the sliding panel doors of the closet on the right. He paused with his hands on the doorknobs and drew a deep breath.
 
He couldn't see anything in the darkness. The light of a single lamp left burning near the windows cast deeper shadows, and in the blackness there was nothing but emptiness; the echo of shattered breathing, the dull patter of a broken heart. Bas narrowed his eyes, tried to discern a shape in the unfathomable blackness as the sorrow of her aura scalded him; the fear, the pain, the consuming sense of loneliness . . . Sydnie.
 
“No . . . Kit . . .” she whispered, her voice so soft that he had to strain to hear her. He could sense her upset as she whimpered.
 
Too dark, too deep, the hurt that she guarded so jealously radiated from her, wrapped around him like a silent entreaty. He could feel her movement, her body shaking somewhere in the shadows. Another soft cry made him wince, and without thinking, reacting on instinct, he lifted her into his arms, cradled her against his chest, clumsily patted her back to soothe her.
 
She didn't wake as she buried her face against his chest. Absently noting just now little she actually weighed, he winced as he uttered little sounds meant to comfort her. Slowly she calmed, relaxed in his arms. The frown that marred her features waned but didn't disappear completely. She looked so vulnerable, so soft, so different from the hellcat he had come to know. `Who is she? Who is she really?'
 
There were no answers, no whispers, no secrets. The bits and pieces that she'd told him only served to further his confusion. She spoke in riddles, answered in innuendo. Somewhere between the two lay the truth. Cain thought that Bas could get answers out of her? Bas sighed. He wasn't nearly as confident as his father.
 
Standing up without waking her, he carefully carried her to the bed. She whimpered when he laid her down, automatically curling into a little ball with her chin tucked into the cradle of her crossed arms.
 
He pulled the blanket up to her chin and smoothed her hair back gently, kneeling beside her. Studying every angle, every curve of her face, he watched her features contort as she moaned. He stroked her cheek with his knuckles, and marveled as the upset on her face faded. She seemed to scoot toward him, unconsciously seeking the acknowledgement that she wasn't alone.
 
She concealed so much behind her tough façade. He'd sensed that before, hadn't he? `She's not a murderer; I know it . . . She might hide behind her pride; she might infuriate me to no end, but . . .' Bas shook his head. `It's all just an act, isn't it? Sydniethe real Sydnie . . . I don't think she really is all that tough.'
 
He finally stood up, his fingertips lingering on her cheek before he turned back toward the chair once more. Absently dragging the blanket over himself as he flopped down and leaned back, he didn't take his eyes off Sydnie for a very long time.
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~ *~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
Xuaeved —— WhisperingWolf —— melzilla —— Rawben —— Starr Stealer —— Inuyoukaimama —— OROsan0677 —— Darkflameangel —— darkcloudsareraining —— inuyashaloverr —— Bandit the Army Brat —— bigrick —— kathyrin —— Simonkalof Inuy —— Star-Girl —— super g —— NekoKamiFL
==========
Final Thought fromBas:
Just who is she?
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Phantasm): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~