InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 5: Phantasm ❯ Mysterious ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

~~Chapter 12~~
~Mysterious~
 
`I wonder what he's dreaming about . . .?'
 
Sydnie sat, perched on the edge of the bed, hands clasped between her knees as she tilted her head to the side, regarding Bas as he slept in the reclining chair. A soft smile touched his lips now and again, and his smile made her smile, too.
 
He looked so different when he was sleeping. Younger, softer—less intimidating . . . there was a certain air about him, almost a sense of vulnerability, that she couldn't ascertain when he was awake. True, she liked to tease him. She called him a puppy and laughed when he got all defensive. Still she could sense that he really wasn't nearly as inept as she had first thought. Her first impression had been that he was a little too soft, a little too refined. Maybe it wasn't weakness she'd sensed, after all. She'd come to realize that it was something entirely different, something wholly contrary. Bas the Hunter possessed compassion, and that was a trait that Sydnie wasn't sure how to deal with. She hadn't seen it often over the years. It confused her. It frightened her.
 
I don't need a damn thing from either of you; not your pity, not your sympathy, and certainly not your milk.”
 
Digging her claws into the coverlet, Sydnie leaned forward, hunching her shoulders as she watched the sleeping hunter.
 
`I don't like it, Syd . . .'
 
She wrinkled her nose at the intrusion of her youkai voice. `Don't like what?'
 
`What do we really know about him? Think about it, will you? He knows more about you than you know about him, and that's not good.'
 
`It doesn't matter. He doesn't know anything important; not really . . . and even if he did, that wouldn't really change anything.'
 
`You're not serious, right?'
 
She grimaced when Bas frowned in his sleep. `What's he dreaming about?'
 
Her youkai sighed. `Good God, Sydnie . . . can you hear yourself?'
 
`What?'
 
`You're getting all up in arms because he's having a bad dream? This . . . isn't good . . .'
 
`Dreams can be scary,' she replied hotly. `They can be worse than reality.'
 
` . . . So that's what this is all about . . .'
 
Scowling stubbornly, she shook her head and shifted her gaze away from the sleeping hunter as she crossed her arms over her chest and proudly straightened her back. `It's not `about' anything. It's . . . not.'
 
`Uh-huh. Then why do you make sure he has a blanket every night?'
 
`Don't be ridiculous! It gets chilly; that's all.'
 
`Look, I don't think that there's anything wrong with him. It's just not like you to let things slip, either.'
 
Bas groaned quietly, the frown intensifying as he mumbled something that she couldn't discern. Scooting off the bed, Sydnie crept closer. The watery gray light of the dawning morning lent Bas' skin a bluish tint. Kneeling beside his chair, she carefully smoothed the lines that marred his brow. He let out a soft sigh, unconsciously turning toward her touch. “Syd . . . nie . . .” he murmured.
 
Her heart skipped a beat as her name slipped from him, and she leaned in closer, waiting . . . hoping . . . `Is he . . . dreaming about . . . me?'
 
Something in his expression drew her, captured her. His lips parted slightly, his breath misting her face. A tremor raced up her spine as the air stilled in her lungs. He looked so peaceful, so relaxed . . . She heard the unvoiced whispers that she didn't completely understand; as though his very being was calling out to her. Leaning toward him, drawing a ragged breath, she felt her eyelids fluttering closed but couldn't stop, couldn't think, couldn't fight against the temptation . . .
 
His lips were warm, moist, yielding. Brushing against his softly, hesitantly, she pressed her hand to his cheek, savoring the feel of the stubble under her fingertips. Tilting her head, she kissed him again as a million shivers broke over her. He felt so vibrant, so alive, and she couldn't help the ragged little sound that escaped her. Somewhere between a purr and the softest moan, she stood up without breaking the contact, slipping onto his lap, wrapping her arms around his neck.
 
In the back of her mind, a thread of recognition condensed as a faraway sense of understanding became no more than a reaction. His hands locked around her, holding her close. He returned her kiss—a slow, pulsing thing, as his throaty groan echoed in the room. She relaxed against him, straddling him, legs tucked neatly against his thighs. He shuddered as she drew on his mouth, her tongue stroking his lip as he ran his hands up and down her back.
 
Groaning quietly, the sound captured by her mouth, Bas pulled her closer. She pressed her palms against his chest, carefully kneading his muscles, her claws poking lightly through the thin material of his shirt. Grinding her hips against his, she traced his teeth, his fangs with the tip of her tongue as he uttered a terse growl, ragged and harsh. “S-Syd . . . nie . . .?” he rasped between kisses.
 
Sydnie couldn't restrain the whimper that escaped her when Bas abruptly turned his face away. His breathing was rough, stilted, and he had to clear his throat before he could manage words. “Wh-what are you . . . What do you think you're doing?”
 
She couldn't muster the bravado for one of her normal replies. “You said my name,” she whispered.
 
Bas glanced at her, skin flushed, eyes bright. “W . . . what?”
 
She shook her head. “You were sleeping, and you said . . . my name.”
 
“So you—” He winced as his blush deepened. “—Crawled into my lap and . . . kissed me?”
 
“No,” she replied with a shrug, hoping that her tone was a little more carefree than she felt. “I kissed you first; then I crawled into you lap.”
 
He slowly shook his head, his gaze narrowing in abject confusion. “Sydnie—”
 
She stood up and quickly turned away, snatching up the blanket that had fallen onto the floor and taking her time, folding it, avoiding the questions in his stare. “Oh, relax, pretty boy . . . it was just a kiss. It didn't mean anything.”
 
She heard his sharp gasp but refused to look. He stood up and brushed past her, heading for the bathroom. “Yeah,” he agreed, his words oddly hollow. “Not a damn thing.”
 
Wincing when he slammed the bathroom door, Sydnie's knees gave out, and she sank down on the end of the bed, blanket slipping from her slack fingers as she stared dumbly at the floor. She'd hurt him, hadn't she? Proclaiming that the kiss meant nothing to her . . . It was a lie. She knew it was a lie. Bas, however . . . he didn't know, and with any luck at all, he never would.
 
`It . . . has to be this way,' she told herself sternly, nostrils prickling as something hot stabbed at the backs of her eyelids. She swallowed hard and shook her head, trying not to think about the rawness of his voice. `It just . . . has to be.'
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Bas leaned against the car and shifted his gaze around the parking lot outside the small rest stop, scanning the area with a slight frown. Everything seemed all right, and yet he couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't. He wasn't sure why he felt so unsettled, but he'd been taught to trust his instincts, and at the moment, he knew—just knew—that something simply wasn't right.
 
He scowled, eyes dropping to the asphalt below his boots. `No,' he decided slowly, shaking his head as he let out his breath in a gust. `Not wrong, exactly . . . It feels more like something's about to happen . . .'
 
Pushing away from the car, Bas snorted as he shot a glare at the short brick building. Sydnie had pitched a fit until he'd agreed to stop for a potty break. Either there was a line in the women's restroom, which he doubted since there were only two cars, counting his, in the parking lot, or Sydnie was deliberately trying to irritate him.
 
A man and woman strolled out of the building, murmuring quietly as they headed for the other car. Bas glanced back and sighed. He'd have smelled Sydnie if she had tried to escape out a window or another exit. She was still inside, but he wouldn't put it past her to stay in there until he went looking for her. `Stubborn cat . . .'
 
She'd been uncharacteristically quiet since they'd left the hotel. He grimaced, rubbing his forehead and slumping back against the car again. `She's been quiet,' he allowed, `since I woke up with her kissing me . . .'
 
Oh, relax, pretty boy . . . it was just a kiss. It didn't mean anything.
 
He kicked his toe against the asphalt. `Didn't mean anything . . . Of course it didn't . . .'
 
`You don't believe that, do you?'
 
Bas shrugged. `It's what she said.'
 
`Don't be ridiculous. Of course it meant something to her.'
 
`It doesn't have to. It doesn't have to mean a thing.'
 
Bas straightened his back and strode off toward the building. `This is Sydnie we're talking about. Everything she says and does means something.'
 
“Bas!”
 
Bas stopped, head snapping to the side as he spotted Sydnie being dragged along behind a strange youkai who was hustling the cat toward a small grove of rather sad looking trees. His hand wrapped around her slender wrist, the youkai tugged her forward, sending her stumbling after him. She dug her claws into his arm, and he hissed before jerking on her arm again.
 
Bolting after the two of them, Bas gritted his teeth as he ran. He didn't have his sword—he'd left it in the car. He'd stopped wearing it since it was a pain to drive with, and wearing it, or so he'd thought, would cause more trouble than it prevented. “Damn it . . .”
 
Sydnie glanced back, casting him a pleading glance as the youkai—a cougar—jerked on her arm once more. She stumbled, catching herself against the youkai's back. Over the distance between them, Bas could hear the youkai growl before shoving her away. She lost her footing and landed on her rear but scrambled to her feet and started to run. Bas skidded to a halt as Sydnie hurled herself against his chest, her body trembling as her heart hammered like a wild creature. “Get behind me,” he commanded.
 
Sydnie blinked, leaning back to look him in the eye. “I can fight,” she insisted.
 
“Not now, cat. Just move.”
 
He thought she was going to argue with him for a minute. She must have reconsidered, though, and with a curt nod, she slipped behind him as the strange youkai slowly sauntered toward them. “So you're the hunter,” the youkai remarked, light brown eyes glowing with obvious amusement.
 
“Who are you? What do you want?” Sydnie demanded, the bravado in her voice a familiar and unwelcome intrusion at the moment. Bas' hand shot back, pressing against Sydnie's hip in an effort to quell her overzealous tongue.
 
“It doesn't matter who I am.” The youkai's gaze narrowed, as though he were sizing Bas up. “Hand over the bitch.”
 
Bas didn't move. “I answer to the tai-youkai. She's coming with me.”
 
The cougar-youkai chuckled. “She's a murderer, hunter. In the eyes of the youkai, the penalty for murder is death.”
 
“I think I know the laws of the youkai well enough,” Bas remarked without batting an eye. “You're forgetting that no one is ever convicted unless there is adequate reason to believe that it was a crime.”
 
“The youkai grow tired of Cain Zelig's reluctance. It's nothing personal, hunter. Don't make it into something that it isn't.”
 
“If I were you, I'd walk away,” Bas replied. “I told you that she's coming with me.”
 
“You'll make me kill you?” the cougar asked, raking his clawed fingers through his hair. “Have it your way.”
 
“I don't like threats, so you'd better be able to back up that claim.”
 
The cougar cracked his knuckles, grinning as he shook his hands to loosen up his wrists. “I don't make threats, pretty boy. I make promises.”
 
He lunged at Bas without warning. Bas grabbed Sydnie and leapt aside, barely missing the cougar's descending claws. “You stay here,” he told her as he set her on her feet.
 
“He's a bounty hunter,” Sydnie insisted, glancing around Bas nervously. “They do whatever they have to do. He won't—”
 
“—Lay a hand on you,” Bas growled. “Now stay out of the way.”
 
“Bas—”
 
He whipped around to glower at her, jamming his index finger under her nose. “Sydnie . . .”
 
She scowled but crossed her arms over her chest, resting all her weight on one hip as she relented to his demand that she not interfere. Satisfied that he'd made his point, Bas glanced over his shoulder in time to see the youkai barreling straight toward him again. Sydnie sprang aside as Bas vaulted off the ground, turning his body in mid-air as he reached back, slamming his arm out straight and catching the cougar in the center of his chest. Wincing as the youkai's claws cut through the leather duster and into his forearm, Bas heaved him back, sending him flying in the other direction.
 
The cougar started to sit up. Bas strode over and planted his heel against the youkai's chest, the steel toe of his boot hooked under the cougar's chin. “I'll suggest again that you leave,” he growled.
 
A moment's hesitation vanished as the youkai swallowed hard and nodded. Bas pressed down on his foot then shoved the youkai away with his heel before turning his back and starting toward Sydnie once more.
 
`Lousy, miserable, rotten—'
 
“Bas! Look out!
 
Whipping around just in time to sidestep the slash of claws as the cougar bore down on him, Bas only had time to react. Stretching out his fingers, he swung his claws at the youkai. The tearing of flesh was an awful sound, the squishy, wet gurgle spraying a mist of blood further than the searing gush that erupted under his claws. The cougar's eyes blanked for a moment, as though he couldn't believe what was happening. Dropping to his knees as he clutched his torn throat, he gurgled out a slow cough as his fevered gaze rose to lock with Bas'.
 
“You . . .” he wheezed, unable to manage more than an airy hiss that Bas could barely discern. “You're . . . the Zelig . . .”
 
“Close enough,” Bas allowed, wishing he could look away yet unable to do so. Blood squeezed through the youkai's fingers, dripped onto the ground as he blinked, trying in vain to keep his vision clear.
 
The youkai choked out a burbling laugh—a hysterical sound. “I'm not . . . the last . . .” he whispered. “Not . . . the . . . last . . .”
 
Bas didn't respond to that. Rasping out a harsh gasp, the youkai fell to his hands and knees, then collapsed into the puddle of pooling blood. Moments later, his body exploded in a flash of light; in a blast of wind. Choking dust scattered on the fabricated breeze. Bas stared at the spot where the youkai had fallen, unable to process the idea that he'd just killed someone.
 
“Bas?”
 
Blinking as the soft sound of Sydnie's distant voice cut through the haze that had wrapped around his brain, Bas slowly turned his head to watch as she darted to his side.
 
She opened her mouth to say something then winced, hesitantly stepping toward him, wrapping her arms around him. He didn't move for a moment, but slowly, slowly lifted his arms to hold her close.
 
He wasn't sure how long they stood there, holding each other in the shelter of the small grove. Closing his eyes as he deliberately tried not to think about what had just happened, he concentrated instead on the comfort she offered him. How could she know his desperation to reaffirm that he wasn't a monster for what he'd just done? How did she understand the numbness that had engulfed him?
 
He felt an odd sense of warmth, of something damp and burning through the thin material of his shirt, but he didn't look. A vague voice echoed in his mind, and this time, they were words he could comprehend. `She understands, Bas . . . because she's felt the same way . . .'
 
`She . . . she isn't a murderer . . . any more than I am . . .'
 
`Not a murderer . . . no . . .'
 
Opening his eyes, he blinked at the unchanging world. Drawing a deep breath as he gave her a quick squeeze and stepped away, he cleared his throat and sighed, scanning the area for any trace of unnatural movement. “Come on, Sydnie. We've got to get out of here.”
 
She nodded, chin lowered so that he couldn't see her face. He stared at his blood-stained hands and grimaced. As much as he'd like to take the time to wash, he wasn't sure if the youkai had been alone or not, and his instincts were screaming that he get Sydnie out of there. “Let's go,” he told her as he started trudging away.
 
He didn't see her dash her hand across her eyes; didn't see her wipe away her tears.
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
Sydnie swished the water in the tub and sat back on her heels.
 
`Bounty hunters . . .'
 
Leaning back, letting her head fall into the makeshift cradle formed by her outstretched arms, she sighed. She hadn't expected the cougar-youkai who had been waiting for her to emerge from the bathroom. Too busy dwelling on the kiss that never should have happened, she had been caught off-guard when the youkai's arm had snaked around her waist, drawing her back against the solid mass of his chest.
 
You're a hard woman to track, Kit,” he growled, breath hot in her ear. “Now you be a good girl, and I'll kill you quickly.”
 
Who are you?” she whispered, grimacing as he tightened his arm around her stomach.
 
Names aren't really necessary, cat.”
 
Who do you work for?
 
The youkai laughed as he dug his claws into her side hard enough to coerce her into moving, drawing a trace amount of blood. “I'll tell you that before I kill you,” he assured her. “Move it.”
 
A soft knock on the bathroom door jarred Sydnie out of her reverie. Pushing herself up on the side of the tub, she deliberately shoved the memories aside.
 
Bas leaned against the doorframe, staring blankly at the curtained windows across the room. He looked tired—exhausted, really—and so much older than he had this morning. Dark circles under his dull eyes . . . a gauntness in his face that hadn't been there before . . . He blinked slowly, bringing a hand up to rub his cheek. Traces of the cougar-youkai's blood still crusted his fingers, and his hand shook just a little.
 
“I drew a bath for you,” she said quietly. “I thought you might need one.”
 
“Baths are for girls,” he replied in a monotone. “I'll take a shower.”
 
“Baths aren't just for girls,” she assured him.
 
He shoved himself away from the doorway and stepped over to peer into the bathroom. “Bubble bath, Sydnie? That's not for girls?”
 
She wrinkled her nose. “Don't be such a guy. It's a milk bath, and milk is good for you.”
 
He opened his mouth to argue with her but snapped it closed as he relented with a sigh. “All right, cat. Just this once.”
 
Satisfied that he'd use the bath, she slipped out of the room and hurried over to find a change of clothing for him since he hadn't bothered to find one, himself. Laying the stack of clean clothes on the floor outside the bathroom door, she wandered back over and retrieved the room service menu from the drawer in the nightstand. She wasn't really sure what Bas wanted, but he seemed to prefer plain meat like steak to sandwiches, and to that end, she ordered him a medium rare New York strip steak with baked potato and green beans.
 
`You're being awfully nice to him, aren't you?'
 
Sydnie hung up the phone and shrugged inwardly. `Am I?'
 
`Yes, you are . . . you know you are.'
 
Digging a couple of wet-naps out of her purse, she sat down with Bas' leather duster and tore the packet open with her teeth. `I don't know what you're talking about.'
 
`You're mothering him.'
 
Sydnie paused before tugging the wet-nap out of the foil packet and shaking it open. `I am not!'
 
`You are, too! Look at you! You're cleaning his jacket!'
 
She rubbed the right sleeve, carefully removing the sheen of blood that had dried on it. `He's got enough on his mind,' she argued. `He's never killed anyone before; I know he hasn't.'
 
`Sydnie, he chose to be a hunter. A hunter kills other youkai. He had to know this, don't you think?'
 
Carefully wiping away the blood that dulled the leather, Sydnie scowled and shook her head. `That might be. Still, I chose to kill Cal Richardson, right? I knew what I was doing, and I'm not sorry . . . that doesn't mean that I enjoyed it, does it? It doesn't mean that Bas would, either.'
 
`So you do care about him.'
 
Tossing the first wet-nap into the small trash can on the other side of the nightstand, Sydnie opened the next packet and shook out the cleansing cloth. `Maybe.'
 
`You called out for him because you knew that he could save you. Maybe he can even save you from yourself.'
 
`And just what is that supposed to mean?'
 
`You know what it means, Syd, and you know that deep down, you want him to do it, too.'
 
She didn't answer as she finished cleaning the leather duster. Five wet-naps later, she tied the thin plastic bag closed and pulled it out of the trash can. The crisp knock drew her attention, and she strode over to answer it. “Who is it?” she called, pressing her ear against the solid steel door.
 
“Room service.”
 
Bracing her weight against the door, she turned the deadbolt and slowly opened the door. The young man dressed in nondescript white shirt and black slacks smiled at her, and she stepped back to allow him entrance. He strode past her, depositing the tray on the small table. Sydnie hurried over, digging a few dollars out of her purse. Repressing the slight panic that always accompanied spending money, she shoved it at the young man and, as an afterthought, held out the trash bag, too. “Would you mind getting rid of this?” she asked, pasting on her brightest smile as the bellhop took the bag.
 
“Not a problem,” he assured her. “Do you need anything else?”
 
Sydnie shook her head and shrugged. “No, thanks.”
 
She followed him to the door and locked it behind him before heading toward the closed bathroom door. “Bas?” she called.
 
He didn't answer.
 
She frowned. “Bas?” she repeated a little louder.
 
He still didn't answer.
 
Biting her lip as she hesitantly picked up his clothes and tried the knob, she was vaguely surprised that it turned easily in her hand. “I got clean clothes out for you,” she said as she slipped into the steamy room and averted her gaze as she set them on the closed toilet seat.
 
He grunted something in response. It might have been `thanks'.
 
She sighed and started to leave but stopped. “Do you want me to wash your back?” she offered, carefully keeping her tone neutral.
 
He grunted again.
 
Taking that as a `yes', she turned around and knelt beside the tub, absently grateful that the bubble bath obstructed her view since he didn't seem to care that she was still in the room with him. “Sit up.”
 
For a moment, she didn't think he was going to comply. He did, though, bracing his feet against the far end of the tub, he sat up, draping his arms over his knees and leaning forward, eyes closed, bubbles sticking to his hair like little piles of snow. She carefully pushed his hair over his shoulder and grabbed the still-dry washcloth off the side of the tub before retrieving the travel-size bottle of Ivory soap body wash and dumping a generous amount onto the cloth. Taking her time as she dunked the cloth and squeezed it to build up a good lather, she slowly rubbed his back, massaging the tense muscles as she scrubbed.
 
He sighed.
 
“I ordered some food for you,” she said quietly.
 
Bas nodded. “Thanks.”
 
“You'd better hurry or it'll get cold.”
 
“I'm not really hungry, Sydnie.”
 
“I didn't figure you were.”
 
He peered over his shoulder at her, his expression inscrutable. Finally, he nodded. “All right.”
 
She handed him the wash cloth and rinsed her hands. “Thank you,” she said, leaning in to kiss his cheek before she stood up and hurried to the door. “No one's ever . . .” she trailed off, cheeks pinking, and she cleared her throat. “Anyway, thanks.”
 
She slipped out of the bathroom and closed the door, pressing her hand against her chest as she willed her heart to stop hammering out an unsteady rhythm against her ribs as the image of him, standing over the fallen cougar-youkai with his boot to his throat flashed through her mind. He'd looked so proud, so confident, and in that moment, Sydnie had felt a strange surge of emotion, a complete fascination . . . Such easy grace, such power . . . sure, she'd realized that she had underestimated Bas the Hunter before.
 
Now she was positive. He was no ordinary hunter, but she wasn't certain just who he really was.
 
 
-OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO-
 
 
“What's that?”
 
Bas stopped shaking the bag long enough to glance up at Sydnie. Perched on the end of the bed, she was sitting up straight, chin tilted back as she tried to see what he had in his hands. “What? This?” he deadpanned.
 
“What is it?” she demanded again.
 
Bas carefully pulled on opposite corners of the sealed bag. “Popcorn.”
 
She bit her lip and scowled, digging her claws into the coverlet but stubbornly remaining silent.
 
“Want some, kitty?” he asked, shaking the bag close enough for her to see the popcorn but far enough away that she couldn't snatch the bag.
 
She shot him a fulminating glare. “That's the last time I'm nice to you, puppy,” she shot back.
 
He shrugged, delving into the bag and stuffing a handful of popcorn into his mouth. “Suit yourself.” He swallowed. “Mmmmmmmm . . .”
 
“Pig.”
 
“Oink.”
 
She snorted, crossing her arms over her chest and slumping down as she forced her gaze away from the popcorn bag.
 
“Popcorn and movies . . . I think they were invented for each other.”
 
Sydnie replied with a wide yawn as she crawled back to the head of the bed and curled up on her side.
 
Bas plopped into the chair beside the bed and shook the bag of popcorn at her again. She ignored him. Stifling a chuckle, he settled back with a sigh. “You sure you're not hungry?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“You didn't order yourself any dinner.”
 
“I wasn't hungry.”
 
“Oh, I know,” he said. “You're never hungry, are you?”
 
She muttered a haughty `hrumph'. “That's right, puppy. I'm youkai, and youkai don't need to eat.”
 
“Of course you don't,” he agreed. “Want some milk?”
 
She hesitated a moment before quickly shaking her head. “No,” she pouted, cheeks pinking. “I'm fine.”
 
Bas set the bag of popcorn on the nightstand and grabbed the phone to call room service. It didn't take long to order a gallon of milk for Sydnie. When he turned around to retrieve the popcorn, however, it wasn't on the table anymore. The definite sounds of crunching popcorn made Bas shake his head. Sydnie cradled the bag in her lap, happily eating his popcorn.
 
He reached over to grab a handful. Sydnie snatched the bag away and uttered a low, sing-song wail. “Hey, cat! That was mine!” he pointed out reasonably but pulled his hand away.
 
“You set it down,” she countered. “You abandoned it.”
 
“I did not,” he argued. “I was ordering milk . . . for you.”
 
“Possession is nine-tenths of the law, pretty boy. Deal with it.”
 
“Ever heard of sharing, Sydnie?”
 
She shrugged. “Sharing's overrated.”
 
He sighed. “All right,” he relented, hauling himself out of the chair and shuffling over to stick another bag into the microwave.
 
“Don't even think about it, kitty,” warned as he sat back down with the fresh bag of popcorn. “This one's mine.”
 
A knock on the door announced the arrival of Sydnie's milk. Bas nearly set the bag down but thought better of it as he shot her a suspicious glance and headed over to get her drink.
 
“That wasn't very filling,” she remarked as he poured a glass of milk for her.
 
“It wasn't supposed to be. It was just popcorn,” he said. She crumpled the empty bag and took the glass he offered. He sat back down and leaned back to get comfortable. Sydnie set the glass on the nightstand and crawled across his lap to toss the empty bag in the trash. “Sydnie!” he complained, head falling back to avoid staring at her wiggling backside, clad in a filmy pair of nylon panties—the only thing other than her tank tops that she ever wore at night—as she pushed herself back onto the bed.
 
“What?”
 
He sighed, hoping that his face wasn't as red as he suspected it was. Sydnie giggled, and he grimaced, figuring that it was worse than he had feared. “Red's a good color on you,” she teased.
 
“Shut up, cat,” he grumbled.
 
She rolled her eyes and swallowed her milk. He could see her throat constrict as she gulped down the drink, and he had to force his gaze away once more. `Damn it . . . I swear to God, she does that on purpose . . .'
 
The trill of his cell phone cut through his musings. “Hello?”
 
“Bas? I got your message. What's going on?”
 
Bas grimaced at the obvious concern in Cain's voice. He'd called his father earlier while Sydnie was drawing his bath, but he'd only gotten voice mail, so he'd just left a message, instead. Bas sighed. “We were attacked today . . . or Sydnie was, anyway.”
 
“What?”
 
Bas shot Sydnie a quick glance. She didn't appear to be listening, but with her, he could never be certain. “Just a minute.” He stood up, setting his popcorn on the nightstand. “Sydnie, I'm going to take this call outside. You'd better not try to run off, got it?” Bas rolled his eyes and waved a hand in front of her face when she didn't respond. She caught his hand and shoved it way, leaning to the side so she could see the television.
 
“I hear you, puppy, now quiet. I'm watching the movie.”
 
He sighed again, wiping his fingers on his jeans as he strode toward the door. Stopping on the threshold and glancing back over his shoulder, he shook his head and rolled his eyes when he saw that Sydnie had wasted no time in claiming the second `abandoned' bag of popcorn. “Bounty hunter,” Bas explained as he pulled the door closed behind himself.
 
Cain let out a deep breath. “That's what I was afraid of.”
 
“You thought this would happen.”
 
“I hoped it wouldn't,” he agreed. “Damn it.”
 
“He was a cougar-youkai.”
 
“Did you kill him?”
 
Bas grimaced, rubbing his temple with a weary hand. “Yes.”
 
“No idea who sent him?”
 
“Nope. Sydnie said that she asked him, but he never told her.”
 
“Great.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
Cain sighed. “Let me do some checking around. I'm not sure who'd issue a bounty, but Richardson's influence cannot be underestimated.”
 
Bas nodded, scowling as he fingered the hilt of his sword, Triumvirate. He'd strapped it on shortly after his bath. Sydnie had watched him with an expression akin to horrified fascination on her face but hadn't said a word. A gift from his father, Cain, his grandfather, InuYasha, and his great-uncle, Sesshoumaru and forged from their fangs, Bas treasured the sword above all else. “Yes, sir.”
 
“Best for you to keep moving, too, but . . .” Cain trailed off, and Bas grimaced. He had a fair guess as to what his father was thinking.
 
“But you think I'd be better off to zigzag around, right?”
 
“It might be harder for them to track you if you deviate from the plan, yes.”
 
“That's pretty much what I was thinking, too.”
 
“Where are you now?”
 
Bas scratched the back of his neck. “A little way north of the Dallas-Fort Worth area . . . Denton, I think it's called.”
 
“Okay. Stay there. I'll see about having some money wired to you in the morning.”
 
“All right,” Bas agreed. “Anything else?”
 
Cain grunted. “Make damn sure you don't tell them who you are.”
 
“Wasn't planning on it.”
 
“Give me a few minutes. I'll call you back.”
 
Bas clicked the phone off and sighed. `The cougar knew who you were,' his youkai pointed out.
 
`I know. No way he could have told anyone else, though.'
 
`Still, if he wasn't alone, and you just didn't see the others . . .'
 
`If he wasn't alone, they'd have attacked by now.'
 
`Don't take chances.'
 
`I won't.'
 
`Bas?'
 
`What?'
 
`You, uh . . . We . . . won't let them take her, right?'
 
He frowned. `Hell, no.'
 
`. . . Good, because she's right. Bounty hunters don't give up so easily. If the price on Sydnie's head is high enough, they'll be back.'
 
Bas' gaze darkened as he glowered fiercely at the seemingly empty hallway, as he cracked his knuckles and clenched his jaw. `They can't have her.'
 
`You're sure?'
 
`Damn straight.'
 
`Protect her, Bas.'
 
He didn't hear the low growl that surged up in his throat, spilling over in the dimly lit hallway. `I'll protect her,' he vowed. `As for the bounty hunters . . . let them come.'
 
 
~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~ *~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
Triumvirate: an association or group of three; in this case, the sword was thusly named because it was forged from the fangs of InuYasha, Sesshoumaru, and Cain
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
OROsan0677 —— katgirlofthenight —— inuyashaloverr —— Star-Girl —— Simonkal of Inuy —— lokon —— katie janeway (though the review was posted under Purity 4, I think you mean to post it here? Lol!) ——ladida —— Jesachi (I'm Korean, but I was adopted by Americans.) —— WhisperingWolf
==========
Final Thought fromSydnie:
So the puppy does have claws
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Phantasm): I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga. Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al. I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.
 
~Sue~