InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Disturbing Vision ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi. I do, however, own all my original characters and this plotline.
 
Chapter 4 - Disturbing Vision
They landed in one of the many courtyards outside his palace and Kagome's eyes widened. She took a moment to take in the grandeur before turning to look at the demon lord. “Take me to the pups, please. Now is not the time to be admiring your architecture.”
 
While he was slightly confused by her vocabulary, he did agree that time was of the essence, and moved to lead her through the large front doors, up a grand staircase, down a few halls, and finally into the room where his pups had been attacked and where they remained, still unconscious. Before he could make it as far as the outer doors however, he was assaulted by a short, green annoyingly toad-like lump, pressing his little beak into the ground at his Lord's feet.
 
“Lord Sesshoumaru! Oh, Lord Sesshoumaru, thank kami you have returned! These worthless wretches who dare to call themselves your servants have been spreading vicious lies, my lord.” Jaken narrowed his eyes as much as possible to show his displeasure, but in reality, it just made him look even stranger.
 
“Really, Jaken? And what is it exactly that they have been saying?” Sesshoumaru looked just about as patient as he was feeling at the moment. He had the miko, they were at the palace, and yet his way was being blocked by the most annoying vassal he had ever experienced. For a moment he could not remember why he kept the kappa around at all, but then it came to him. The little toad flew quite far when kicked and that was always a stress reliever.
 
“My Lord, they have dared to say that you, the Great Lord, had gone to request the help of a human wench! My Lord, I can point them out for you if you so desire, or maybe you would like to punish the whole lot of them?” Apparently, Jaken had a problem seeing properly with his eyes so narrowed because he obviously failed to see the warning look on his Lord's face and the very human woman now standing at his side, looking as if she wanted to try a round of `Kick Jaken' herself.
 
“Hn. Did they now? And tell me, why should they be punished for such?”
 
“My Lord! They dare say that so great a demon such as you, my lord, would stoop so low as to ask a human for anything! It is downright criminal, what they say.”
 
“Jaken, would it be possible for you to make a fool of yourself somewhere not in my path?” Quiet chuckles could be heard from a few servants who had come to watch the show and Kagome was trying her hardest to hold in her laughter, though her violently shaking shoulders gave it away.
 
Jaken looked up at Sesshoumaru in shock and it was then he noticed her. “My Lord! Your brother's wench? Why, my Lord, would you bring such human filth here?” That apparently was beyond the invisible line of just how much he could take at the moment. He was quite proud of himself really for restraining himself for so long. In seconds, there was a wailing whiz of green flying through the open doors of the palace and down a long hall before a sound that very much resembled a splat could be heard, along with a groan of pain. The gathered servants cleared a path, not wanting to be removed in the way that had just been demonstrated, all standing to the side as their lord led in the most unlikely of guests.
 
As they passed through the halls, he could hear the gasps of surprise and the whispers of his staff. Apparently they did not think him capable of finding a miko. He would have, under normal circumstances, made an example of those who had questioned his capabilities but instead he opened the door to the room and motioned for the miko to enter.
 
As soon as Kagome entered the room she grasped her temples and fell to her knees. Sesshoumaru rushed to her side to keep her from falling completely onto her face. He was unsure of what happened, but he would not allow the miko to be injured while in his employ. He carefully lifted her stiff form and placed her on an empty space on the large futon where his pups were curled around each other.
 
The situation had not changed much since he had left to fetch her. All of the pups continued to shift form; their color was pale, their markings fading slowly away. All seven of his pups had two magenta streaks on their cheekbones, and one along their eyelids. The eldest held the crescent moon on his brow, identifying him as the official heir to the Western lands. Each had silver hair and golden eyes, or at least they should. Although their eyes could not be seen, the youngest of his pups now had dark streaks staining their hair.
 
His eyes were pulled from examining his pups back to the miko as a groan escaped her. Slowly she shifted, attempting to sit up. He assisted her and waited as she tried to regain power over her form.
 
“Sess… Sesshoumaru…” she whispered. “I'm so sorry.” Her voice was so low he barely caught the words, even with his demon hearing. “She… I knew she was… I told him. I warned him. She's… she's with Naraku. How could she?”
 
“Miko… What are you saying? Who are you speaking of? Who is with Naraku?”
 
“Kik… Kikyo. She… I knew she was… evil. She has turned… not really Kikyo. My soul… aches. It did this. I have to… I have to fix… this.”
 
“Kikyo? The undead miko of the hanyou? What does she have to do with your soul? How do you know she did this?” He no longer cared for appearances. He knew he sounded desperate, but damn it, the lives of his pups were on the line and he couldn't understand the girl!
 
“I… I am Kikyo's,” Kagome sucked in a deep breath before continuing, finally calming and gaining power over her voice. “I am Kikyo's reincarnation. She carries part of my soul. It keeps her alive, with the help of stolen souls. I… I knew she was evil. She tried to kill Inuyasha just three days ago.”
 
“She has a part of your soul?” Sesshoumaru had heard of such things, but nothing quite like this. It was known to be very painful to live without a part of your soul. Most creatures wither away quickly, some stronger may last a little longer, but he knew Kikyo had been revived nearly two years ago, shortly after his brother had been released from the spell holding him to the God tree. Kagome should not have been able to survive so long without her complete soul.
 
“Yes. I almost lost it all. I called it back, but she held onto some of it. Now I can feel when she is near. The pain is worse the closer she is. I… I just saw…experienced really… what they did here. Naraku was you. He entered and put up his barrier on the door as the pups slept. Kikyo entered from the balcony and he then sealed that as well…” Kagome went on to recount her vision to Sesshoumaru.
 
 
~Kagome's Vision~
Naraku was still impressed with himself. He had impersonated the Great Lord Sesshoumaru successfully in his own home. He sealed the door with a powerful barrier, dropped his disguise, and walked towards the balcony doors. Kikyo entered his vision as she was slowly lifted by her Soul Collectors and lowered onto the balcony. The eel-like demons flew into the distance as she entered the room and Naraku closed the balcony doors and curtains, then putting a barrier in place there as well. He was more than aware that the barrier was not sound-proof. He had in fact done it on purpose. It was just one more way to injure Sesshoumaru, who had caused him so much trouble and had successfully escaped him when he had attempted to absorb the demon lord into himself. Naraku wanted to be sure the Great Western Lord knew that his pups suffered by his hand.
 
Kikyo smiled darkly as she approached. The pups began to stir and Kikyo began to chant lowly. Each pup was startled awake by the shift in aura of the room. They laid eyes on Naraku and Kikyo and began to whimper. As Kikyo chanted they began to feel incredible pain, worse than any they had experienced in their young lives.
 
Kagome could feel the evil rolling from Kikyo over the pups, she could hear their screams and she could feel their pain. Their skin felt like it was on fire, their muscles burned, and they were unable to move at all. They could do nothing but scream. As they were held immobile Kikyo nodded to Naraku and seven tentacles shot from his body, each one piercing the chest of a pup. They did not go all the way through, but instead stopped about halfway, the tip of the tentacle in the direct center of each chest. Naraku grinned and released his miasma through the tentacles into the chests of the young pups. Their screams increased tenfold as did their pain as the toxin entered their small bodies. After a few moments Naraku withdrew his tentacles and chucked darkly as one by one the pups lost consciousness.
 
Kikyo and Naraku observed their work and then Kagome heard them speak.
 
“He will never be able to save them.” Kikyo let loose a low laugh. “No one but a miko can reverse my curse and no miko would help a demon, let alone the cold, cruel demon Lord of the West. He will watch as his heirs turn to what he most despises before his eyes. Once they are human, they will no longer be immune to your miasma.”
 
Naraku slipped his hand out and pulled Kikyo to his body, placing kisses on the crook of her neck. “Oh, yes. I am so very glad you decided to join with me, my Kikyo. Now, Sesshoumaru will know true suffering.” He sneered as he spoke the Demon Lord's name. “Once his young become weak humans, he will watch them, one by one, succumb to my miasma. An excellent plan, if I do say so myself.”
 
“Yes, Lord Naraku,” Kikyo moaned as he continued his ministrations on the cold pale column of her throat. “An ingenious plan to bring that arrogant demon to his knees.”
 
Kagome wanted to gag and it was just a vision. The two moved towards the balcony and the door blew open, a cloud of purple miasma flying away, leaving nothing of them behind. The barrier fell and the servants rushed into the room.
~End Vision~
 
 
“I know what I have to do.” Kagome looked and smelled nervous as she spoke. “I need you to promise me that no matter what, you will not interrupt me once I start.” She looked up into the golden eyes that watched her carefully. “It may look like I am purifying them, but I will not hurt them. If you were to stop me though, you or the pups may end up being purified accidentally. I will start with the youngest. They will be the weakest and will fade the fastest. The older pups will be able to fight longer.” Kagome's gaze swept over the pups. “They are all boys and so young. How old are they?”
 
Sesshoumaru looked over his pups in their weakened state. He was filled with rage at the knowledge of their suffering. “The oldest two are almost one and a half years. The middle three are two months younger, and the youngest two are barely one.”
 
Tears began to fill Kagome's eyes once more as she realized just how little time the pups had been alive before experiencing such pain and suffering. She hoped she had enough power to save them all. “I am going to do my best to heal them all now, from youngest to oldest. I hope I have enough strength. If not, I'll end up passing out and I may not wake in time for the eldest. I will try my hardest for you.”
 
Outside, Sesshoumaru looked as calm as usual, nodding to the miko to show he had heard, but inside he was locked in a battle with his beast.
 
`Our miko will be in danger if she does this! She would risk herself for our pups! We cannot let harm come to her.'
 
`The miko is strong. She has more power than she knows. She will live.'
 
`Our miko needs help! She is the one! We must protect her!'
 
`The miko is not our miko, no matter how many times you say such. She is human! Do not worry. She will be kept safe.'
 
`The miko is our miko! She will need help. Look at her. She fears her weakness, though she is strong.'
 
`The miko is human! This Sesshoumaru will not…'
 
`Will not what? Will not mate with a human? I've heard it all before. Well this Sesshoumaru is tired of being ignored. You will hear me. You will listen or you will regret it! There is more to her than you know, much, much more than can be seen. You will learn and when you do I only hope it will not be too late, that the damage you do can be undone. We need to console her! Console our miko! Tell her of her strength. Help her!'
 
`Fine! This Sesshoumaru will tell the miko she is strong. We will find a way to help. What do you speak of when you say there is more to her?' His beast did not answer. `Tell this Sesshoumaru of what you speak!'
 
After a short pause, his beast finally replied. `This Sesshoumaru refuses to speak about what you refuse to listen to. Help her.'
 
Sesshoumaru let out a barely audible sigh before he turned to the girl causing him such inner turbulence. Sesshoumaru gazed at the determined yet frightened young miko, trying to see anything that he may have missed, anything that would explain the odd insistence of his beast. Never had he been so strong willed and defiant. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, he decided to try to encourage the miko. “Miko… Kagome… you have much more power than you think. I can sense it just beneath the surface. If you believe in your own power, you will do fine. This Sesshoumaru greatly appreciates your efforts. Is there anything I can do to aid you?”
 
Kagome looked into his eyes, surprised that he called her by name, and then quickly looked away. “No,” she said softly.
 
He immediately sensed her deceit, a low growl rumbling from deep in his chest. Why would she lie about this? What was she hiding from him? “Miko, speak. I know of your lies, for it sours your scent. What is it that this Sesshoumaru can do?”
 
Kagome hesitated for a long time before whispering, “Kikyo. If she were to die, I would have my whole soul, with more strength, power, endurance, and control, but I cannot ask you to kill her. Inuyasha couldn't handle it. I can't be the cause of her death. He would never forgive me.”
 
He held her eyes for a moment before looking away. “I will ensure you are not interrupted.”
 
“Sesshoumaru?” Kagome whispered softly. When he nodded for her to continue she whispered, so low that his heightened inu senses again almost missed it, “Thank you. I mean, thank you for earlier, for not giving me a good hard shove off of the cloud when I started crying. I didn't mean to.” She watched his eyes narrow a bit at her words. “And, thanks, too, for what you are going to do. Even though I wish I wasn't the cause, Kikyo deserves peace and needs to return to the dead.”
 
“Do not think on it miko. I will kill the undead dark miko for her curse on my pups. It will not be your doing or your fault. And miko, I would not be so unintelligent as to drop my only chance for healing from the sky before she got the chance to heal. Perhaps next time.” For a second, Kagome was certain she saw a smirk, but it was gone so fast she decided she must have imagined it.
 
“Oh, gee, thanks,” Kagome muttered to herself. “Well, here goes nothing.” Kagome gulped and then knelt at the edge of the futon near one of the two youngest pups.
 
Sesshoumaru moved towards the door, opened it, and could be heard talking quietly to the servants. He turned to observe the miko and was slightly unnerved at what he saw. `No wonder she warned me.' Kagome held her hands over the pup, one over his heart and one over his forehead. She was glowing with the soft pink of her miko powers, brightest at her palms, and the bright pink light was being pushed into his pup. He could see a dark purple, almost black light rise up to push against Kagome's power. She furrowed her brow and focused harder. Her light pushed through the darkness, and the pup's whole body slowly took on a pink glow as well. Suddenly the light flared and he had to look away. When he looked back, his pup's hair had returned to full silver and his marking were their original dark magenta shade once more. His eyes widened slightly as he saw a soft pink tear drop glow brightly under the pup's left eye before settling into the skin, appearing as another marking. He wondered briefly at the meaning and if it would be permanent, but at the moment he failed to care. The pup was no longer being purified. That was all that mattered.
 
He watched as she moved onto the next youngest pup, repeating the process. She did not look tired yet, but she was only on the second out of seven and he did not want to lose any. He walked slowly out of the door the rest of the way and closed it behind him. He bid his servants not to interrupt and to only enter if called for. Otherwise they were to peek every now and then silently to see if she needed assistance, for she would be weak when she finished her work. He also ordered a room to be prepared for her, a specific room. Though he was unsure as to why he had chosen it, Sesshoumaru decided to worry about it later and get moving now.
 
He then proceeded towards the entrance and exited his home, inhaling deeply. He didn't smell her. Deciding to move farther out, he took to the air and flew a short ways before scenting the air again. He repeated this process for a time before he caught the hint of decay and graveyard soul. He turned in the direction of his prey and scented the air again. His brows furrowed and he let a frown cross his lips. He smelled a familiar hanyou with her, and it wasn't Naraku.