InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Sending My Love and A Mother's Wisdom ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi. I do, however, own all my original characters and this plotline.
 
Chapter 7 - Sending My Love and A Mother's Wisdom
 
 
Sesshoumaru found himself on the edge of a field of white flowers. It was night, the moon a crescent riding high in the sky. He gazed into the field, curious as to where he was and how he got there, when he noticed movement towards the center of the sea of white petals. Slowly he approached. He was shocked at what he saw. It was Kagome, sitting surrounded by flowers, wearing a silver kimono that glimmered in the moon light. She looked ethereal, beautiful, like a goddess. He noticed her entire form shimmered slightly and he realized he could see through her. She appeared to be a spirit, gazing at the stars.
 
“Kagome…” Sesshoumaru called to her softly. She turned her head and smiled at him and motioned for him to sit beside her. He slowly lowered himself to the ground next to the shimmering spirit.
 
“I'm glad you're here, Sesshoumaru. I need to ask you a favor.”
 
Sesshoumaru was slightly confused by this. Was this really happening, was this a vision, or was he just having a disturbingly real dream? “What is it Kagome?”
 
“We never made an agreement on what to do if I didn't make it. I am going to die and I wanted to get a chance to give messages to my friends.”
 
“Kagome, you are not going to die.”
 
“Yes, yes I am Sesshoumaru. I cannot live with so little spirit remaining. With no power left, I cannot make more. There is no hope now. Please, listen to me and do me these last few favors.”
 
“I will listen but know this, you will not die. This Sesshoumaru will not allow it.”
 
Kagome giggled a bit before her solemn face returned. “It is so like you to try to control even this. Please, when I die take my body to the village near where you found me. Give me to my friends or to the old village miko Keade. Let them know what happened to me. I also have a personal message for each of them.
 
“Please tell Kaede that she was like a grandmother to me and that her support made my task much easier. Thank her for her wise words and for trying to train me. I love her and will miss her very much.
 
“Tell Sango that although she was not my blood, she was the sister of my heart. She taught me how strong a woman can be. Wish her luck in her life with Miroku and ask her to watch over Shippo for me.” An iridescent tear glided its way down her face. He listened to her carefully, trying to ensure that he did not forget anything. Even though he was sure she would live, if somehow she did not, he would not fail in completing her last request.
 
“Thank Miroku for being a great listener, for keeping my secrets and helping me work through the pain. Tell him that he will always be my elder brother. I hope that he has all the children he can handle and more with Sango. Tell him to keep being strong, that Naraku will be defeated and his curse lifted.
 
“Tell my little Shippo… Oh, my Shippo,” Kagome broke down into sobs for a moment. Sesshoumaru attempted to run his hand down her back soothingly but he could not touch her. His hand found only air. When she had finally calmed she continued. “Tell my Shippo that I am sorry that I had to leave him. I'm sorry I made him suffer the loss of another mother. Tell him to grow up strong and kind and know that I will always watch over him. Tell him to stay with Sango and Miroku and that they will take care of him until he can take care of himself. Tell him I love him as my own son and nothing can ever change that.” She sobbed quietly for a few moments before taking a deep breath and going on.
 
“Ask Inuyasha to take my body to my family and ask my mama to bury me next to daddy. Have him tell Mama what happened and that I thank her for always supporting me, no matter how hard it was to let me go. Tell her I love her. Have Inuyasha tell my Gramps that I love him and will miss him and tell Souta to grow up big and strong, and to not cry for me too much. And tell Inuyasha that… that he was my first love. Tell him he is perfect the way he is. He is powerful, brave, and honorable. Ask him to do one last thing for me. Ask him to promise to live for me. Don't let Kikyo take him to hell.”
 
She turned towards him now, looking him in the eye. Her sea blue eyes shimmered with her tears as she finished her last requests. “I know you will go after Naraku for revenge for hurting your pups. Please help my friends so that they all survive the final battle. About your pups, I'm sorry about the mark. I didn't mean to do that but it was the only was to stop and reverse the purification.”
 
“Do not apologize. You not only saved my sons, you made them stronger. They will wear your mark with pride. Miko, there is no need for your tears. I will not let you die.”
 
“Look at me, Sesshoumaru!” She was yelling now, her soft whispers a thing of the past. “I can't even appear solid here! I don't have enough strength to appear properly in a dream, for Kami's sake. I'm going to die. I'm okay with it. I saved them all. That is all that matters to me.” Her voice calmed toward the end of her rant into a more peaceful and soothing sound.
 
He gazed at her for a long while, causing her to shift under his scrutiny. “Kagome, you have to fight. Fight to survive for your friends, for the monk and the slayer, for the old miko and your family, for my brother, for your kit. Do not give up so easily. Fight for yourself as you fought for my pups. Fight so that they have the opportunity to thank the beautiful, selfless woman that saved and blessed them. Live so that I can thank you. I did not deserve your selflessness. You should not have risked your life to save them. I am not worthy of your forgiveness. This Sesshoumaru has harmed you, even attempted to kill you, and yet you helped me. You willingly sacrificed your life to save my sons. You are truly too good for this world. Please Kagome, please fight and survive so that I can repay your kindness, if that is ever possible. I could not live with myself if I were the cause of the world losing your beauty and light. I have given you some of my strength and power to keep you alive. I will kill the undead bitch. You will have your soul returned and your pain will end. This is the very least I can do for you.”
 
She was crying again, slightly in shock from his words. Never had Sesshoumaru sounded so humble, so desperate, even more so than he had when asking for her help. He was begging for her to live. He had given her some of his power? She was surprised but grateful. Never had she seen this side of Sesshoumaru. Gone was the cold, emotionless demon lord and instead all that remained was a caring, pleading man. If a spirit could blush, she would have been a tomato from his sweet words and praise. He had called her beautiful!
 
“I will fight, Sesshoumaru, if you promise me that if I lose the fight you will do these things that I have asked of you.”
 
“Agreed. I give you my word that if you do pass, I will fulfill your last wishes. Now, promise me miko that you will fight your hardest. Do not give up.”
 
“I promise. You know, I think I underestimated you when we first met. There is more to you than meets the eye.” Her voice was fading, as was she. He watched as she became more and more transparent until she was gone.
 
Sesshoumaru woke with a start, sitting straight up in bed. He felt something drip on his arm and he reached to his face. His cheeks were wet. He had been crying in his sleep for the miko, for Kagome. He had not shed tears since the death of his mother when he was but a pup. He still didn't know when she became so important to him but he no longer cared for the reasons. She was all that mattered right now, keeping her alive, returning her soul. That was the only thing that was important. He decided then to leave at dawn to hunt down the dark miko Kikyo. Time was of the essence.
 
With that decided he lay back down and attempted to regain sleep, but sleep refused to find him. Memories of his lips pressed against hers floated through his mind. They had been so soft but so cold. Words his mother spoke echoed in his ears, begging him not to close his heart as his father desired of him, begging him to trust that love would find him. He had refused to listen to her. How could he allow himself to be as vulnerable as she? His father ignored her, neglected her, cheated on her, and Sesshoumaru refused to allow someone to hurt him so. If he allowed himself to love someone then they could hurt him in a way that no other could. He would allow no one that power over him.
 
When he had told his mother such, she had cried for him. She told him then of a strange dream she had once had, one that had promised that he was destined for something great, that he would find love and it would be stronger than any other power that existed. But she feared that if he closed off his heart then he would miss his chance at that great love and that all would be lost. He could still hear her now, whispering through her tears, “She will come to you, Sesshoumaru. She will come and you will love her, no matter how you fight it. She will come and when she does, you will remember my words. You will remember and then you will know that I was right and you will cease to fight it. Even if you do not understand it, my son, I promise you that it is destined and this girl, this beautiful, powerful woman, she has been made for you as you were made for her, both of you molded by the Kamis, and over and over again she will surprise you. I promise you this, Sesshoumaru.”
 
Could she have been right? He had never given her words much thought, convinced he would never love and never be loved. And yet here he was with her whispered words floating through his mind, swirling, repeating, just as she had said they would. Her words had come back to him after all this time. Was it possible that Kagome, a human miko, could be the one she spoke of? Now that he thought more about it, the girl had already surprised him numerous times with her strength, her loyalty, her kindness, his beasts near obsession with her, and also with his own unconscious and uncontrollable reactions to her.
 
Sesshoumaru lay in his bed tossing and turning, being the one thing he hated being more than anything, confused. The girl confused him, his mother confused him, his beast confused him, and hell, even he confused himself! Giving up on sleep he decided to check on the source of his inner turmoil.
 
He rose from his bed and exited his chamber, entering the room next door. The servant seemed surprised to see him but scurried out when he motioned her dismissal. After looking her over for a moment his shoulders slumped slightly and he gave in to the feelings twisting in his mind. The great lord lay himself down on the opposite side of the bed, sliding under the silk covers, and pulled the miko's body to him, her back to his chest. He buried his nose in her hair and breathed deeply. His confusion melted away, his thoughts quieted, and sleep found him immediately.