InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Some Secrets Kept, Some Truths Revealed ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi. I do, however, own all my original characters and this plotline.
 
Chapter 9 - Some Secrets Kept, Some Truths Revealed
 
 
Several days had passed and they were becoming more and more worried. They stopped at every village they came across to ask if they had seen anyone matching the descriptions of Kagome or Inuyasha, but with no luck. Kirara had yet to catch the scent of either. Each night brought them more and more worry for their missing friends. Where could they possibly be? What had happened to them? Were they even still alive? They were trying their best to stay positive as Kaede had recommended, but it was getting harder and harder to do. Despair was settling in on them.
 
Shippo could not sleep and looked quite ragged. When he did manage to fall asleep, he awoke screaming for Kagome. Miroku and Sango were fairly surprised the first time he woke crying for Mama, but then they had been expecting it for some time now. Shippo refused to eat anything and the monk and slayer were quite worried about the kit. He was looking much to thin with bags under his eyes, his eyes red from the never ending flood of tears. What would Kagome think if she were to see the condition they allowed her kit to decline into?
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Sesshoumaru had been searching nonstop, but he had yet to sense a hint of his prey. He had discovered something interesting along the way though. It seems that sharing his youki with Kagome had formed a connection between them. The dream they shared was not a one time occurrence. Every now and then he could communicate with Kagome inside his mind. She had faith in him and her constant optimism kept him going. She told him many stories about her adventures with his brother and her friends. He found he could even experience the memories from her point of view if she chose to show him. He had never heard of anything like it before but then powerful demons don't usually go around sharing their youki with humans.
 
She had shown him when she had released his brother from his imprisonment on the God Tree, as well as how she had met each one of her companions and friends. The knowledge that each had attacked, kidnapped, or tricked her before they had become friends gave him a bit more hope for himself. If she could forgive them all then maybe she could forgive him too. He now understood the connection the boy who had kidnapped and nearly killed Rin had to her group. He found himself actually feeling compassion for the slayer and her brother. Compassion was a fairly new idea for him but he brushed it off; blaming the feeling on the connection with Kagome, who in his opinion had more compassion than anyone. He knew of the monk's curse as well as his wandering hand. The fact that he had touched Kagome multiple times riled his beast. He knew what had happened to the kit's parents and why he traveled with their group. He now had a much greater understanding of Naraku's evil. She had told him of how his brother and Kikyo had been tricked and how Kikyo had been brought back to life.
 
He had seen many times how Kagome had been hurt by his brother's words and actions, his disregard for her feelings. He saw how he yelled at her, called her useless, and much more. He had also experienced first hand the everyday pain the strong young woman had lived with for nearly two years and he could feel his resentment for his brother growing stronger the more he learned.
 
A few things confused him though. She never showed him her home or her family. He had no idea where she came from but he knew it was not the village he had found her near. He understood that she was the reincarnation of Kikyo, but Kikyo had died only fifty-two years ago. He had been taught that reincarnation took centuries, so how was it possible? And why was the girl so different from every human he had ever met? Where did she get her odd clothes? Why did she have such an odd manner of speaking? She often used phrases he didn't quite grasp. And how was it that she was so educated? Women, even nobles, were not educated anywhere near as extensively as this girl was. She had also never mentioned a single day before the day she met his brother. He had tried to question her about these oddities but she refused to answer, saying that everyone had to have some secrets.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Inuyasha had managed to locate a fairly well protected area to allow Kikyo to rest. They were backed up to the corner of a cliff wall so that they were protected by solid rock on two sides. It was too high, too steep for anyone to attack from above. One of the two other sides was bordered with a small pool that was fed through cracks in the rock face. The only open side was covered heavily by large trees, close together, and thick brush with only a small open path that could be used to approach. Inuyasha had made camp there, lighting a fire and sitting with Kikyo. They had been there resting for a few days now. While he could find no injuries on her, Kikyo still seemed weak and tired so he insisted they stay in one place instead of moving about. Plus, he figured their camp was easily defendable and nearly impossible to sneak up on so it was safer to stay there, just in case his brother showed up.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Meanwhile, back at the palace the servants were unsure of what to do. The day before, the oldest and strongest of Sesshoumaru's sons had awakened. The servants were filled with joy that the boy was now healthy and safe. Before they could get him to say or do anything though, he stood and walked directly to Kagome's room. The servants tried to stop him, but he pushed through as if he couldn't even hear them. As soon as he reached her, his teardrop mark flared brightly and he transformed into his true form. He climbed onto the bed and curled up against her. A few hours later, the second born awoke and repeated his brothers actions. By this morning all of the pups were curled around her body. The servants, even Jaken could not get the pups to respond and if they attempted to move them away from her, the pups all growled dangerously at the intruder until they retreated. Then the pups relaxed again.
 
The healers had continued to check on Kagome every few hours and had found that her breathing and heart beat were still strong. Their Lord's youki had apparently been enough to keep her alive. They were surprised though to feel the strength of the demon energy in her aura. Their Lord had given her far more than they had expected, far more than her human body should have been able to hold, and yet it showed no problems. Once she had been joined by the pups, the healers had to maintain their distance. It seemed that the pups would allow no one near the girl.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Sesshoumaru's attention was finally captured. He had once again caught the scent of his brother but this time he smelled the scent of death and graveyard soil as well. He raced off in the direction of the scent. Finally he had his chance to return Kagome's soul to her so that she could recover. He could get his own revenge on the bitch for cursing his pups as well; he wouldn't mind the added benefit of causing his brother some well deserved pain.
 
Inuyasha stiffened and let out a growl. “Sesshoumaru.” Kikyo immediately moved behind the hanyou. The plan was to allow the brothers to kill each other and she didn't want to end up in the middle.
 
The demon Lord walked straight into their camp following the open path. He made no attempt to hide himself as he approached. “Why, hello Inuyasha. How delightful it is to see you,” Sesshoumaru stated in his coldest, most sarcastic tone. “And Kikyo, you are just the walking undead miko I have been searching for. It is time now miko for you to leave this world once again.”
 
“I won't let you hurt her, Sesshoumaru! She didn't do anything to you!”
 
“Oh, are you so sure little brother? Perhaps I will educate you in the actions of your beloved miko. You are such a fool, my dear brother. Allow me to open your eyes!” Sesshoumaru leapt at Inuyasha so fast that he seemed to disappear and then reappear in front of the hanyou. He slashed at his chest but Inuyasha leapt back just in time so he was only barely scratched. He pushed off the rock wall back towards his brother, intent on protecting Kikyo from him no matter what it took. The two slashed at each other several times, leaving Inuyasha with some deep gashes, while he had yet to draw blood on his elder brother. Kikyo stood still at the corner of the rock face, trying to draw as little attention to her as possible.
 
Inuyasha pulled the Tetsusaiga, determined to finally end things with his brother. Going after Kikyo was the last straw. He raised the sword and yelled “Windscar!” Sesshoumaru barely evaded the blast, landing behind Inuyasha.
 
“See for yourself, Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru reached out his hand and laid it on his brother's forehead before the hanyou had a chance to move. He held tight so Inuyasha could not squirm away. As he dug his claws deep into the scalp he willed Kagome to lend him the vision of Naraku and Kikyo with his pups. Suddenly Inuyasha dropped to his knees as he experienced the same vision as Kagome had days before, feeling the same pain, the pain of the pups, and knowing the treachery of his beloved Kikyo.
 
“It can't be true. It can't be.” Inuyasha looked to Kikyo, who greatly resembled a deer frozen in the path of an approaching wolf. “Kikyo would never hurt children, even demon children, right Kikyo? Right?” For some reason he was unsure. He could feel the honesty of the vision, the truth behind it. He could see the fear in her eyes at the mention of children and felt his heart sink. She had done it. She really was in league with Naraku. He had even watched Kikyo moan at Naraku's kisses. “Kill her. I can't do it. Please, Sesshoumaru. Kill her,” Inuyasha begged with his voice full of pain and betrayal.
 
Sesshoumaru looked at the now quaking miko. A smirk formed on his face as he slowly approached. Kikyo tried to run but she only made it two steps before he had her by the throat, her back pressed against the cliff wall. “Your time is up. You will no longer live off of the souls of others. Your treachery ends now.” He tightened his grip slowly, enjoying the pain in her eyes. This woman had caused his Kagome pain; she had tried to kill her time and again. He could feel his beast fighting to the surface; he allowed it to rise to join him in consciousness, to enjoy this moment. Together they tightened their hand around her throat until a snap was heard. He dropped her still body to the ground, watching it shatter like porcelain dropped on stone. Bright balls of light rose to the sky until finally the largest orb rose slowly. It circled around him and his brother before rising up and shooting out of sight in the direction of his palace and Kagome.
 
Inuyasha couldn't look up. He knew she was dead, again. He then felt soothing warmth surround him and heard a voice softly whisper his name. “Kagome,” he whispered in response. He looked up to see the remaining piece of Kagome's soul rise up and fly away.
 
“Inuyasha, there is something else you must know.”
 
“What is it, damn it Sesshoumaru? I'm not really in the mood to play right now.”
 
“Neither am I, brother. I have completed my task. Now I wish to share one more thing with you.” Sesshoumaru had been angered by many of the things he had seen from Kagome's mind, every time Kikyo attacked her, either physically or verbally, the pain Kagome experienced daily because of her incomplete soul, the danger she had been placed in repeatedly when Inuyasha would abandon her to go to the dead miko, and every cruel word he had ever said while comparing her to Kikyo. Now he combined all the experiences and all the pain into one vision and touched his brother's head once more, this time gently. The vision would be painful enough on its own. Inuyasha's body stiffened and dropped to the ground and Sesshoumaru simply turned and walked away.
 
Inuyasha was overwhelmed. He couldn't move at all. The things that flashed before his eyes broke his heart. He saw every time Kikyo attacked Kagome and he refused to believe her. He saw all the times he endangered her life because of his selfishness. He felt her heart breaking every time he compared her to Kikyo or said that Kikyo was better at anything and everything. Finally he was overwhelmed by the final sight. He saw Kagome sitting with Miroku in tears trying to meditate through excruciating pain. He had no idea that Kagome had been in pain all this time because of Kikyo. She had never said a word, never complained. He never saw her cry about it. He felt all of the pain she had experienced over nearly two years all at once and he writhed in absolute agony. He felt tears pour down his face. When the pain finally passed he did not bother moving. He had never been so disgusted with himself in his whole life.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Night had fallen on their search once again; the exhausted group landed in a forest clearing and silently made camp. Miroku gathered wood and started a fire. Sango pulled out some of the provisions Kaede had given them for their journey and prepared it to eat. Kirara had fallen asleep almost as soon as her feet touched the ground. Shippo just sat staring into the woods with an empty look in his eyes. Once again he refused to eat and didn't bother trying to sleep. He would not even look at them or speak to them. He was too depressed to do anything but stare off into the darkness. He had lost all hope.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Sesshoumaru arrived at the palace in record time. He rushed to Kagome's room, ignoring the servants trying to capture his attention, and was greeted with an interesting sight. There Kagome lay, surrounded by the white fur of his pups in their true forms. He had hoped that she would be awake when he arrived but he could hear her heart beat strongly and her scent filled the room, once again laced with the scent of her power. That was enough for now. He approached the bed, shedding his armor and swords along the way; he shifted the pups around her so that he could lie at her side. They allowed themselves to be moved by him and once he lay down and pulled her to his chest, every one settled and fell asleep.