InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Fox in the Dog House ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 18 - Fox in the Dog House
 
 
Author's Note: animelover186, since you asked nicely, chapters 18 and 19 go up today.
 
 
Dawn found several things happening, all at once. Kouga was waking and starting his short run to the village to see if the others had located Kagome. Miroku and Sango were whispering their worries over the now missing Shippo. Inuyasha was pacing the floor, driving the others crazy, trying to decide what to do next. Kaede merely sat and sipped her tea, looking much more calm than she should have been, given the circumstances, which was another thing bothering Inuyasha. Before he managed to launch into a rant, he smelled someone he actually was looking forward to seeing for the first time since they had met nearly two years ago, the wolf.
 
Sesshoumaru was also pacing, stalking the length of his chambers as he had been since he returned, still upset over the wolf's apparent claim on his miko and her impending departure. His pups were stirring, although none of them wanted to get up, as none had slept well at all, having become accustomed to the scent and warmth of the miko. Rin was popping out of her bed like a spring, bouncing around getting dressed for the day. She had no worries at all. After all, her Lord always gets what he wants, and she was convinced that he wanted Kagome. In her mind, there was no other outcome possible. The servants, who had been up for hours already, were running around trying desperately to have breakfast perfect, as had been demanded by their Lord the evening prior. And then there was Kagome.
 
Kagome groaned in her sleep as she tried to bury her face in her pillow to block out the light, but the pesky sun was intent on shining right in her eyes. Finally she gave up and yawned wide, turning her head and grinning at Kazue who was mimicking her yawn, complete with full body puppy stretch. It was then that Kagome noticed a furry warmth at the side, burrowed deeply into her stomach as if trying to hide from the world. At first, she had figured it to be one of the pups, but upon closer inspection she noticed the fluffy tail was definitely not white, but instead a bright orangey red. She knew that tail!
 
“Shippo!” Kagome cried at the top of her lungs, which we all know is pretty damn loud. Her cry echoed through the hallway, carried into all the other sleeping chambers. Sesshoumaru merely smirked. He knew she would be happy to see the kit. Rin smiled so wide, one would have thought her face had split in two. She had missed Shippo, and couldn't wait to introduce him to her little brothers. The pups all jumped up in surprise. They knew of Shippo of course, but they had never met him. Why was their miko calling out to him like that? Was something wrong? Before another thought could enter, they had all rushed from their room and burst into Kagome's, startling the embracing pair for a moment. Shippo was crying again, this time in joy for finding his mama safe after all this time and Kagome had joined him, although she cried for a different reason. She had never imagined her absence would affect him so. He was dirty, his clothes were torn, he had such dark circles under his eyes he looked more like a raccoon than a fox, and he was painfully skinny to top it all off.
 
She glanced up at the pups who all stood frozen at the image they had entered to. How did the kit get here, and how did he make their Kagome cry? They could sense nothing physically wrong with her, but they still held suspicion in their eyes. He shouldn't be here! This was their time with her, and the fox would have her all to himself soon enough. They attempted to keep their feelings on the subject of the new presence to themselves as they noticed her looking at them. She then motioned them over to her.
 
“Shippo, honey. What happened to you? You look so skinny! And tired! And how did you get here? You need a bath something fierce, mister.” Noticing that his crying was nearing hysterical levels, she tried her best to soothe him. “Hey, calm down now sweetie. I'm here, and I'm okay. I didn't leave you and I won't, alright? I promise.” Another ripple of jealousy washed over the young inus as she vowed to stay with the kit. Why couldn't she stay with them? What was so great about the little fox anyway? What did he have that they didn't? Why did he get to have her all to himself when they wanted her so badly?
 
Shippo finally managed to sniffle out a few words between his sobs. “Ma… Kagome…I was so…scared! I thought…I thought…”
 
Kagome smoothed her hand over his hair, it being too messy and tangled to run her fingers through at the moment. “I'm sorry I scared you baby. Lord Sesshoumaru needed my help, and I didn't have the time to tell you all before I left. That and Inuyasha would have thrown a fit. Honey, I want you to meet Lord Sesshoumaru's pups. They were in trouble. Kikyo and Naraku cursed them, and they would have died if I hadn't helped them. I didn't mean to worry you.” She turned to look at the seven surrounding her, and smiled as Rin entered the room as well. “Shippo, honey, turn around so I can introduce you. Guys, this is Shippo. I told you about him. And Shippo, this is, in order, Yoshikazu, Shinji, Hisoka, Hitoshi, Akihiro, Yuudai, and Isamu. And look, Rin is here too!”
 
Shippo had finally gotten control of his tears, and gave a shaky smile to the boys surrounding him. He didn't quite get the feeling he was welcome here, at least not by them, but rather the feeling that he was intruding on something, but it didn't matter because he had his Kagome back. Nothing else could possibly be as important as having his mother figure back, nothing at all.
 
Kagome shooed all the children off to get ready for breakfast, before taking Shippo into her private spring and giving him a good washing. She had to condition his hair twice just to get all the knots out of it, and she had quite a good sized pile of twigs and leaves when she was finished. When she reentered her room, she found a new outfit, just Shippo's size, sitting folded neatly on her bed. She helped him dress before digging through her pack for a clean set of clothes. She couldn't very well return to Inuyasha in a fancy silk kimono now, could she? She dressed, all the while explaining what had happened while she was gone. Shippo had noticed the marks while they were in the spring, and Kagome did her best to explain. For a moment she had thought Shippo had been upset, but as soon as she had noticed it, it was gone, leaving her to think she had imagined it. She introduced Kazue to him, who planted herself comfortably on Kagome's right shoulder. When they were dressed and ready, Kagome opened the door, revealing Sesshoumaru, waiting to lead them to the dining room.
 
Shippo had been shocked when he saw the marks. Not only had Sesshoumaru marked his mama as pack, but so had his pups! His mama now held a close, permanent connection with them, but not with him. He had never mentioned it, because he didn't want to be disappointed if she refused, especially since he couldn't even bring himself to ask if he could call her Mama, but now he was confused. Would she allow him to mark her too? He had always wondered, but had always been too afraid to ask. Now he would have to, or it would drive him crazy. He understood now why she had left without telling them. He knew Inuyasha would have popped a vein if Kagome left him to help his brother. He also understood why she helped Sesshoumaru. She was never one to let anyone, especially a child, suffer, no matter the circumstances, so no matter her opinion of the demon lord; she couldn't help but try to heal his pups.
 
Now, when they had left the room, Shippo had nearly keeled over when he watched his Kagome loop arms with the human hating Sesshoumaru. If Kagome hadn't been holding him, he was sure he would have, at the very least, fallen on his little furry ass. As it was, his chin was nearly to his chest, and his eyes were looking quite similar to those of a toad demon we all know and love. Okay, love might be going a little too far, but that is beside the point. Sesshoumaru glanced over before allowing a smirk to show as he gently released Kagome's arm and reached out with his clawed index finger to gently close the kits gaping mouth. Kagome giggled, before Sesshoumaru linked their arms once again, and continued leading the way. He didn't know what to say. What in the name of Kami is going on here? Since when did Sesshoumaru actually touch humans, let alone a Miko, his Mama! And when did Kagome get so comfortable in the great demon lord's presence?
 
When they entered the dining room, they discovered they were the first to arrive, and Sesshoumaru led them to their seats. Once again Kagome sat to Sesshoumaru's right, a position that Shippo took note of. Shippo sat on her right. When the others filed in, Rin sat beside Shippo, while the pups seemed to huddle together, trying to decide how to sit, before they approached the table. Once again, Shippo felt less than welcome. Apparently he was someone else's seat. He noticed the one with the moon sat across from Kagome, before shooting him a glare. The rest, he couldn't tell apart, not that he was too worried about learning their names. He and his mama would be leaving soon anyway.
 
The jealousy of his pups was glaringly apparent to Sesshoumaru. He would have to have a small talk with them after breakfast. He could not allow their jealousy to cause a rift. Things would be difficult enough just dealing with his half-brother. He didn't need animosity between his pups and the kit. He noticed that they were upset by Shippo's seating next to the miko, and watched as they decided together where to sit. Once again, Yoshikazu took his rightful place on his left, followed by Shinji, Hisoka, Hitoshi, and Akihiro. Yuudai and Isamu seated themselves next to Rin. There was an uncomfortable silence in the air, before Sesshoumaru decided to break it. As the servants dished out the food, he began speaking with Kagome about his encounter with the wolf and Shippo, leaving out, Shippo noted, Kouga's claim and his own reaction to it, leaving the kit a tad suspicious. They discussed how they would return her without being discovered, and eventually they had a plan laid out.
 
“What about scent, Kagome?” Shippo inquired.
 
“What, honey? What about scent?”
 
“I mean, you smell like Sesshoumaru and his pups. Inuyasha will definitely smell it. And the marks. Even if he doesn't see them, won't Inuyasha be able to feel them?”
 
“Lord Sesshoumaru taught me a spell to hide the marks, and we don't think he will be able to feel them well enough to know what they are. Miroku might sense them, but if he does, I know he will keep my secret. I suppose I will have to tell them eventually, but I'm just not ready for it right now. And the smell, I have that one figured out all on my own.”
 
Sesshoumaru raised a silver brow at this. He had actually forgotten all about smell. That was shocking enough. But how did she plan on dealing with it? Kagome caught the eyebrow, and decided to explain. “Last night when I was in the library I found a book on Miko spells, and I picked up a few things. I practiced a bit, and now I can purify your scent right off me. Wanna see?”
 
He had to admit, he was curious. He had never seen it done before, and it excited him when he thought of her power. The girl was bursting at the seams with power, even more now that she had her complete soul. The scent of her power was intoxicating, and he ached to feel the tingle of it against his skin, to taste the magic in her blood. He simply nodded, shifting slightly in his seat, in an attempt to hide the sign of his growing approval of her powers. Yoshi shot him a quick glance, before raising a brow in a perfect imitation of himself, and turning to watch the miko show.
 
Kagome stood and moved away from the table full of youkai. She didn't want to hurt them, after all. Then it dawned on her, only two of them would be susceptible to her powers, maybe three. She wasn't sure about Kazue, since she had received the mark. Neither Sesshoumaru nor Shippo, though, were immune to her powers like the pups were. Distracted for a minute, Kagome thought on asking Shippo if he would like to bond with her. She would like to give him some power as she had done with the pups, so that she could never accidentally hurt him, and so that he would be safe from all other holy powers. She knew that some miko would shoot a youkai on sight, just because of what they were, whether they posed a threat or not, and she couldn't have that happen to Shippo. Not when she could do something to protect him. Plus, they still didn't know if they could actually use the power in any way, or if it was merely defensive. If she gave it to Shippo too, then they would have the time to experiment and see if he could actually call upon and use the holy powers.
 
Sesshoumaru cleared his throat, startling her out of her musings, and she blushed slightly before beginning. Everyone watched intently as she closed her eyes and slowly began to glow. The bright pink of her power surrounded her, and then dissipated. “All done. Who wants to take a test sniff?” Kagome grinned. “Okay, that just came out wrong.” Sesshoumaru and Yoshi both stood and approached, and leaned in, one from each side, and sniffed near her neck, careful not to touch her.
 
“Amazing,” Yoshi whispered.
 
“Indeed. You now carry only your own scent, completely free of all others. You will have to do so and then allow Kazue and Shippo to touch you for a few minutes, or the lack of scents will be suspicious. You can do so when I leave you near the village, but still far enough away that this Sesshoumaru will not be sensed if the half-breed is near. The short flight on Kazue should put her scent on you sufficiently, but the kit will have to scent mark you again as he has been doing.”
 
“Scent mark?” Now it was Shippo's turn to blush. He had never told her that when he snuggled into her and nuzzled her neck that he was actually marking her with his scent. It drove Inuyasha crazy. He was always trying to cover up the kits scent, and vice versa, and all without her knowledge.
 
Sesshoumaru looked between Kagome and the kit for a moment before he decided it would be up to him to explain. “Yes, the kit has been scent marking you, claiming you as his own to all other youkai. It is usually in the curve of your neck near your pulse and over your stomach. I had noticed this before. The hanyou does it too. It seems neither likes the scent of the other on you.”
 
“Is that true Shippo?” Shippo glanced at her. She didn't look angry, just confused.
 
“Ye…yes, Kagome. You're not mad, are you?”
 
Kagome cracked a smile at him. “No sweetie. I just didn't know is all. Is that why you and Inuyasha are always fighting?”
 
“Mostly. He doesn't like it when you smell like me. He sits in his tree at night and growls at me when I sleep with you in your sleeping bag.”
 
“What for? It's not like he wants me or anything! What's that matter with me smelling like you? You are my son, after all.” Kagome failed to hear the low growl rumbling from Yoshi, but everyone else except Rin caught it, and Sesshoumaru shot his son a glare and his own low growl, stopping Yoshi short.
 
Ignoring the threatening sound, Shippo looked at her, shock in his eyes. “Do you really mean it?”
 
Kagome looked at him, seeing the vulnerable look in his eyes. “You should know better Shippo. Of course I consider you my son. I've been taking care of you for two years, and I love you. I thought you knew.”
 
“I…well, I knew you…love me, but I wasn't sure…if…can I…umm…can I call you Mama, then?” Shippo paused for a second before his fear set back in and his next words came out rushed. “I understand if you don't want me to. I know you're a miko and I'm a youkai. You can say no…if you want.” The last bit slowed down and was nearly a whisper.
 
Kagome swept the kit into her arms and held him tight. “Of course, Shippo. You can call me whatever you want. You should have known better! You know I don't care about our differences.”
 
Shippo merely beamed as he held tight to the front of her shirt and whispered “Mama,” before nuzzling in deeper.
 
Another low growl was heard by all youkai, and Sesshoumaru decided he should interrupt before Yoshikazu leapt across the table, or did something else irrational and damaging. “The marking is an instinctive reaction. The hanyou is claiming you as his. In his pack, he considers you his alpha female, and him the alpha male, and as such, in his mind, you should not smell of another male, even if it is a child. He is jealous of your attentions to the kit, although he may not realize it himself. His demon half is reacting on instinct.”
 
“Yeah, okay, but when would Inuyasha mark me? It's not like he goes around rubbing on me like when I hold Shippo,” Kagome said while setting Shippo back in his seat beside her.
 
“I believe he may do it while you ride on his back.”
 
“Yeah, mama. He does it even more when Kouga comes around calling you his woman.” The growl that followed was so loud it echoed in the room. Shippo had not meant to mention the wolf. He slunk down and behind Kagome, who had returned to her seat during their conversation. Kagome looked shocked, staring at the now pink eyed Sesshoumaru.
 
“Sesshoumaru? Are you okay?” She watched as he closed his eyes tightly for a few moments, and when he opened them, they were once again the swirling liquid gold she found so entrancing. For a moment they sat, staring into each other's eyes, before Kagome broke into a blush and turned away. Yoshi and Shin looked at each other, appearing to have a silent conversation, before returning their gazes to rest on the blushing miko. Even though she never got an answer, Kagome decided to let it go to return to their original topic. “So, then do you think the spell will work? As long as Shippo marks me as usual?”
 
Sesshoumaru was grateful for the distraction of her question. He had nearly lost control at the mere mention of the wolf, and he was not sure how he would have explained it if she had pressed the issue. “Yes, then your scent should be as normal as expected. I doubt the half-breed will take the time to notice your lack of other scents. How do you plan on explaining the kit's presence?”
 
“Easy. I found him on my way back. So, when do we leave? I really need to get back to them. I'm sure they are all worried. And if Inuyasha talked to Mama, then she must be hysterical by now.”
 
“Inuyasha said your mother was upset at first, but then she calmed and said that she would know if something bad had happened to you. She even sent supplies back with him. But I'm sure she will want to see you and know for sure your okay.” Shippo crawled up into her lap, still afraid that he would wake up and she would be gone.
 
“Do you have your things ready?” Sesshoumaru asked softly.
 
“Yep. My bag's all packed. Only question will be where Shippo got his new clothes, but his old clothes are too torn up to put back on. If they ask, I'll make up some excuse or another.”
 
“Then go retrieve your bag and we shall leave.” Kagome glanced at his face. Something about his voice just wasn't right, but she didn't know what.
 
“Kagommmeeee, do you really have to leave so soon? We only got to spend one day with you!” Hisoka looked about ready to burst into tears. Kagome stood, putting Shippo down, and walked around the head of the table and pulled the upset little inu into her arms. Shippo managed to hold in his own instinctive jealous growl, though it was a bit of a struggle.
 
“Yes, Hisoka. I can't stay when my friends and family are worried about me. I'm sure you can find an excuse to come visit me though. Your father can just show up with Rin like usual, but happen to have you all with him as well. We just have to make sure that the first time they see you; we act like we are just meeting, so no one suspects. From then on it will be easy. I'm sorry I can't stay. Really I am. I know I will miss you all. But don't forget the mark. You should still be able to feel me, right?” The boys nodded. “Well, then, it will be like I am always with you. No need to be sad.” Kagome smiled her bright loving smile at them all, and then proceeded to hug each in turn. “This way I don't forget to say goodbye to each of you.”
 
Kagome headed out of the dining room with Shippo in her arms and Rin as her guide to find her chambers and collect her pack. They then met up with everyone in the gardens outside the palace. The boys seemed to be quite unhappy upon being told they would be staying behind. Rin promised to stay with them, so they wouldn't feel left out, and they said their goodbyes once again. Kazue transformed then, and Kagome climbed on with Shippo in her arms and her pack on her back. She took to the air and Sesshoumaru rose beside her on his cloud. She found that flying with Kazue was just the same as with Kirara, and was quite comfortable. It only took a few minutes before Shippo was asleep in her arms.
 
“Sesshoumaru?” He looked over and nodded for her to continue. “Will you bring them to see me? I already miss them, and I can tell they are upset.”
 
“Yes, this Sesshoumaru promises to bring them all to visit. You, of course, are also welcome at the palace at any time, if you can manage to get away that is. They are certain to miss you. They became very attached to you, even more so than Rin had been already.”
 
“If only you and Inuyasha could get along, then there wouldn't be a problem. But then that's probably asking too much, huh?”
 
“Even if this Sesshoumaru did attempt a conversation with the half-breed he would not listen. He still blames me for his mother's death. So long as he does, I cannot act as a brother to him. Though it may not seem like it, I do not hate him. We were much closer when we were younger, but once he met Kikyo, things seemed to change. She poisoned his mind against me, another reason I did not mind killing her. It is because of her that I had lost my last remaining family.”
 
“Wow. But, if you don't hate him, then why do you fight? Why did you try to steal the Tetsusaiga?”
 
“At first, I wanted it because I was angry at him for turning against me. Since then, I have moved on, and now, when we battle, I am simply attempting to do my duty as his brother and teach him how to fight properly. He does not understand many things. He does not know why he and his mother had to leave the palace when father died. I had to send them away to protect them. It was a turbulent time. Many thought I was too young to be Lord, and attacked in an attempt to gain control of the west. I had to defend the lands, and I could not also protect them. They would have been killed, either by an enemy or even by a servant that did not agree with his birth. It was for his own good.”
 
Kagome looked at him with pain in her eyes. “Oh, I never knew. But, why does he blame you for his mother's death?”
 
“I was mistaken when I believed that her family would care for them. Izayoi was a hime. She returned to live in her family's castle, but apparently the humans held the same disgust for her laying with a demon and producing a hanyou that the demons held. I did not find out how they were treated there until she had already fallen ill. It was too late. After that, they sent him away. They would have killed him, but they feared reprisal. I had watched over him from the shadows since, always guarding him on his human nights. I did the best I could to make sure he would survive, but I still could not bring him home. He would have been a sitting target at the palace. Out in the forests, no one knew who's son he was, and that fact alone kept him safer than I could have. We even talked at times, and I had tried to explain. When he was older, and strong enough to protect himself, I asked him to come home, but by that time, Kikyo had turned him against me, and then after her betrayal, he would not trust anyone. It even took time for you to gain his trust. I was always near, watching. I fight him now only to teach him lessons he needs to learn. I truly do wish things were different.”
 
“Oh, Sesshoumaru. I'm so sorry. I wish there was a way to make him understand.”
 
“Speaking of understanding, I need to warn you, he may act differently towards you now.”
 
“Why?”
 
“When I found him with Kikyo, he defended her, and I showed him the vision you had about Kikyo and Naraku. Then he asked me to kill her for him. I was still angry at him for all the pain you had experienced, from what you had shown me, and I combined all the times Kikyo attacked you, all the hurt and the pain, into a vision and left him with it. He probably feels very guilty right about now, as he should. Maybe now he will treat you with more respect.”
 
“Oh. I see. So he knows about the pain from the missing piece of my soul, and that I told the truth the times I said Kikyo attacked me and he didn't believe me?”
 
“As well as being reminded of every time he ever insulted you.”
 
“Oh.” Kagome didn't know what to say or what to think. Finally, Inuyasha might be able to understand her. “If only we could do the same thing for you.”
 
“Hn?” Sesshoumaru had been concerned that maybe Kagome hadn't wanted Inuyasha to know, but he was relieved that she did not seem upset. He hadn't really thought about it before he did it. He just needed to make the idiot realize what he had been doing to her all this time.
 
“If only you could show him all that happened after your father died. The attacks on the west, how you watched over him, everything. If it worked for me, maybe it would work for you.”
 
“But I am not sure I would be able to do so again. I was only able to use your memories because I had given you my youki, which seemed to form a strong connection between us. It was your power that allowed me to show it to him. This Sesshoumaru has never before been able to do such a thing.”
 
“Well, maybe we could do it together. Think about it, and I will too. Maybe we can find a way. You and your brother should be brothers again. I couldn't imagine life without mine, no matter how annoying he is.” Sesshoumaru and Kazue began a smooth descent to the ground. When they landed, Kagome carefully slid to the ground and set Shippo down. Walking up to the demon lord, she gave him a huge hug, resting her head against his armored chest. At first, Sesshoumaru didn't know how to respond, but he slowly put his arm around her as well, and held her close for a minute, taking advantage of his last chance to revel in her scent. When they pulled away, Kagome blushed and then moved back, and proceeded to purify all scents off of her and hide the markings. She waved good-bye, and watched as he took off, without a word, to return to his palace. Kagome nudged Shippo awake and he proceeded to scent mark her, snuggling into her, and falling back asleep once again. She climbed upon Kazue once more, and when they were above the village she directed her mentally where to land. Finally, she was back.
 
 
 
 
Author's Note: Thanks to Jean, cocoke5, and phantomphan for reviewing!
 
Arryelle - I hope to keep being able to update daily. I am still ahead. I just finished chapter 30 last night. I don't want to put up more than the one or sometimes two a day, though, because if I catch up to where I really am writing, then there may be delays in updates. I figure it's better to do one a day rather than put up ten at once and then make you all wait a week or more for the new stuff. I go through and reread and edit probably 10 or 15 times before anything goes up. I'm glad you like it!
 
FxB - I know. I hate it when you get into a story and then it never gets updated. Really disappointing. I promise that no matter what, unless I die or lose my fingers in some random household accident, I will continue on until I am finished. If I can ever find a place to end it that is!
 
Ladydot - I don't purposely end to keep you hanging. When I'm writing, I end up doing multiple chapters and it's just an instinctive thing when I stop and end one chapter and start the next. But I suppose most of them are, huh? Sorry about that. But never fear, updates are always near!
 
Monk-Miko - I'm glad you like the story so much. I try to keep things interesting and different. I've read so many Kag/Sess stories that have the exact same plot line, and I didn't want to do that.