InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Summoning Sesshoumaru, Whispered Words ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 40 - Summoning Sesshoumaru, Whispered Words
 
 
 
When he had entered the clearing he was still swimming in his thoughts. She was his soul-mate, destined for him and him alone. There was almost nothing in the whole world that he would rather hear than what his son had just told him.
 
`Oh sure. You believe him right away. How many times did I tell you that?'
 
`Fine, this Sesshoumaru has already admitted you were right.'
 
`So tell her she's ours! Make her our mate!'
 
`The miko would not take well to our declaring her our possession. And this Sesshoumaru intends to court her properly. You will have to be patient.'
 
`But what of the wolf? He may return and challenge us for her. We should mark her now so there is no chance of losing her!'
 
`If the wolf challenges he shall lose. There is no chance of losing her. She is destined for us. She will be our mate in time. She will be mother to our sons and Rin. She will be Lady of the West.' His beast finally gave up and faded back into his subconscious. He sat against the base of a tree staring at the sky, just thinking of the implications of the words he had heard. She would love him. The beautiful Shikon miko whose arrival had been foretold five hundred years ago would be his.
 
Kagome was still sitting holding Isamu and Yuudai while looking from Akihiro to Sesshoumaru and back. The young demon was obviously only pretending to read, as he was constantly peeking over the edge of the book to look at her and his father. And Sesshoumaru had apparently fallen and hit his head because he looked like he was watching the pretty shiny stars circling him. Either that or he had eaten a bad mushroom. Either way he was obviously not on the same plane of existence as everyone else was at the moment.
 
“Hey, I'm gonna go see what's the matter with your father, okay guys?” she whispered between the heads of the two demons she held. Nodding, they slid from her lap to either side and she stood, moving slowly while watching Sesshoumaru closely as if she were afraid he would bite. “Sesshoumaru? Are you alright?” He didn't hear her so she knelt in front of him before waving her hands in front of his face. “Sesshoumaru? Are you hallucinating or something?” When he still failed to respond she caught his face in her hands, cupping his cheeks gently. At her touch his eyes finally focused on hers. “Are you alright?”
 
He smiled then before pulling her close for a soft kiss. “This Sesshoumaru is much more than alright.”
 
“Is that so?” she asked while trying to hold back her giggles. “Then why did you look like you were toasted?” He made the `I have no idea what you just said' face and she giggled more. “You looked like you were seeing things that weren't there or something.”
 
“I was merely thinking.”
 
“About what? And why does Akihiro look like that? He thinks I don't see him peeking over the top of the book.” She said the last sentence louder than necessary and watched as the nosey little demon's eyes widened before disappearing completely behind the book causing Sesshoumaru to chuckle and Kagome to giggle uncontrollably. She stopped suddenly though when she heard a threatening growl vibrating from the demon she was practically laying on, his arm tightening slightly around her. “What is it?”
 
“There is a human male approaching.”
 
“Oh, he's probably from the village. Maybe Kaede needs something.” She removed herself from his hold and stood, with the taiyoukai rising immediately afterward. “Oh, calm down. He's just a human. Not gonna hurt me.” He merely growled again as the villager came into sight looking rather hesitant. Kagome walked towards him, Miroku joining her.
 
“Hello,” the monk started. “Is there something you need?”
 
The villager looked around, his eyes wide at the sight of all the demons. “Um…ah…I…”
 
“There's no reason to be frightened. No one's going to hurt you.” Kagome smiled at the very nervous man in an attempt to reassure him.
 
Finally seeing the miko he had been hoping to find the villager smiled widely, instantly forgetting his fear. “Ah, the beautiful miko Kagome. I was hoping to see you.” The growl that rumbled from the tall and very threatening demon standing a bit behind her made him freeze before looking at the monk who was shaking his head in the negative. “Lady Kagome, is that demon growling at me?”
 
Sesshoumaru very much wanted to remove the head of the fool from his shoulders, and his beast agreed wholeheartedly. `Kill him. Kill him now. You saw the way he was looking at her. He wants her! She is ours!'
 
`Calm yourself. We cannot kill him without good reason. Our mate would not approve. You don't want her to be angry with us again.' His beast rumbled his agreement at that. He definitely didn't like it when she was angry with them, even if it was sexy. No, it was much better for her to be angry at someone else. Then they could enjoy the incredible way she looked and felt while angry without the consequences of having made her so.
 
Miroku placed a hand on his forehead. This guy was worse than he was! And oblivious! If he kept trying to flirt with Kagome he was going to end up in pieces on the ground and then Kagome would be mad at Sesshoumaru and everything would be ruined. He decided to intervene for the sake of peace and love. “Excuse me, but is there a reason you are here?”
 
The man frowned at the monk before reaching for Kagome's hand. As he held her right hand she reached behind her with her left, placing it on Sesshoumaru's side to stop the advancing inu who had just decided to rip his throat out. “Lady Kaede sent me.”
 
`Kill him now! He's touching her!' The beast didn't understand why he was holding back. The foolish human should have been dead by now!
 
`She does not want us to interfere. If she wishes for us to get involved we shall, and no earlier.'
 
“Oh?” she asked politely while trying to pull her hand free of his. It wasn't working. “Does she need something?”
 
`She doesn't want him touching her. See, look, she's trying to pull her hand away!' Sesshoumaru growled for his beast to be silent. He could handle this without violence, as foreign as the idea seemed, as he knew she would not approve otherwise.
 
“I would recommend releasing the miko if you would like to keep your hand attached to your arm.” Sesshoumaru didn't sound like he was kidding but the man still holding the miko's hand was quite sure of his safety in her presence. He was certain she would not allow a demon to attack him, so he ignored the warning.
 
`The insolent human ignores you! He will surely not ignore me! Let me out!'
 
`You will not be released. Calm yourself! This is exactly why you are not allowed freedom. As much as I dislike it, attacking him is not an option. She would not forgive us if we killed him.'
 
The tension in the air could be felt by everyone but the obviously mentally challenged villager. “I will never understand, Lady Kagome, why such a beautiful woman as yourself would spend your time in the company of demons.” This time the vicious growl that was heard came from multiple directions as Sesshoumaru, his sons, Shippo, Ah, Un, Kazue, and Kirara all let their displeasure at his words be known. Even Jaken let out a little noise of distaste. This time he noticed. He would've had to be deaf not to. He dropped her hand suddenly as if it had burned him and watched as she stepped back into the demon standing directly behind her, his arm sliding around her waist.
 
`You see, violence was not necessary. She prefers our touch.'
 
“I happen to enjoy the company of demons. They are my friends. Now, I suggest you tell us what Kaede sent you for and leave before the Western Lord here decides to take offense to your words. I can only keep him from killing you for so long.” Sesshoumaru smirked darkly over Kagome's shoulder at the now quivering man. The look promised a painful death if he did not run immediately, perhaps even if he did. Predatory demons did tend to enjoy the chase.
 
He was quite proud of her at the moment. Such a beautiful threat from such lovely lips. `Our intended is quite capable of handling herself, as you can see. She defends us against the human. She chooses us.'
 
“I tried to warn you,” Miroku said mostly under his breath.
 
“L…L…Lady…K…K…Kae…Kaede …needs to…needs to…”
 
“Come one and spit it out already.” Kagome let out an annoyed sigh.
 
“Lady Kaede needs to see someone named Sesshoumaru. She didn't tell me why.” He spoke as quickly as possible before turning to run back to the village. Perhaps the miko was out of his league. It was rather amusing to watch him run as he kept glancing over his shoulder as if he expected to be followed, nearly stumbling several times.
 
Once the man was out of sight Kagome looked up over her shoulder. “Why would Kaede need to see you?”
 
Sesshoumaru looked down at her before encouraging her to turn around to face him. “I do not know, but I will go and find out. This Sesshoumaru rather enjoyed listening to you threatening the fool.”
 
“Yeah, I'm sure you did,” she said while smirking at him. “Do you really think it's a good idea for you to go into the village now?”
 
“I do not see why not. That human was touching you improperly.”
 
“Improperly? He only held my hand. It wasn't like he grabbed my ass or something. Oh, yeah, like that. Good. A demonstration.” The demon lord's hand had found its way down her back to cup her left cheek before giving it a nice squeeze.
 
“It was your idea, after all.” He smirked at her before squeezing again. “And touching you at all was improper.”
 
“Miroku, I think what you have is contagious!” she yelled over her shoulder at the smirking monk. “And you! I suggest you get your hand off my ass before I purify it.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru believes that is an idle threat.”
 
“Oh, just go already! See what Kaede wants with you. Maybe Miroku should go with you, just in case.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru can handle this alone.”
 
“I'm sure you can. It's not you I'm worried about. It's the villagers who get in your way. Someone needs to tell them to run.” She reached around her back and wrapped her hand around his wrist before forcibly removing it from her soft rear end. “Behave yourself, okay?”
 
He smirked at her before leaning down beside her ear. “And what is my reward if I do?”
 
She grabbed the tip of a pointed ear, pulling it down to her lips. As she spoke her lips brushed his ear sending shivers throughout him. “I would be more worried about what you will get if you don't,” was all she whispered before letting go and walking away to sit beside Sango who had a rather dazed expression on her face.
 
Sesshoumaru stood frozen for a moment before turning to the monk who instantly wiped the smirk off his face. “Monk, you will accompany me to the village to see what it is that the old miko needs.” Miroku only nodded before following after the already stalking away demon.

~
 
Kaede had not been surprised when the villager she had sent to Kagome's camp returned at a much higher speed than he left at. He had never been a bright one. The old woman merely shook her head as he blew past her where she stood outside the door to her hut. An “I told them!” was yelled over his shoulder, the man never slowing down. It was only a few more minutes before she saw Sesshoumaru approaching accompanied by the monk Miroku. When they got close enough Miroku called out a greeting and she nodded in response.
 
When they arrived in front of the miko Sesshoumaru glanced at the monk. “Perhaps you would like to take a walk through the village?” Miroku looked confused for a moment before he understood, nodding quickly and setting off towards the village center. Perhaps the young women of the village would be out and about. He always enjoyed speaking with them. A hentai smirk spread on his face as his hand twitched in anticipation. When the monk was out of earshot the demon lord turned to the miko that had summoned him. “Is the necklace ready?” She shook her head no before pushing back the bamboo mat and entering her hut, the inu following close behind. “Then why did you need to see me?”
 
~

“Sooooo, Akihiro. You wanna tell me what you said to him that made him act so funny?” Kagome looked at the little boy who was peeking over the top of the book once more. “Oh, come on. What's such a big secret?”
 
“Akihiro, what is it?” Yoshi asked, looking at his brother.
 
“Nothing. Nothing at all. Father asked me if I knew of a scroll that could be the one grandmother spoke of in their dreams. I told him I would have to think on it.”
 
“That isn't all, is it?” Shin asked while walking over and sitting next to his now very nervous sibling.
 
“I can't say,” he whispered so low only demons could hear while hiding his mouth behind the book. “It's about her. I can't tell her. Father should when he is ready.”
 
“What about me?” Kagome asked which caused all 8 young demons to look at her in shock. There was no way she could have heard that! “What? Why are you all looking at me like that?”
 
“Kagome, are you saying that you heard what Akihiro said?” Yoshi asked slowly.
 
“Uh, yeah. Why wouldn't I?” Kagome was confused now. Why did they all look so surprised?
 
“Mama, you shouldn't have been able to hear him. He said it way to low for any human to hear.”
 
“But I heard him Shippo. Just like I heard you just now.”
 
“What did he say?” Shinji asked.
 
Kagome let out a frustrated sigh. “He said `I can't say. It's about her. I can't tell her. Father should when he is ready.' Didn't you hear him Sango?” Sango looked at her carefully before shaking her head no. “But how? You're right next to me!”
 
“Tell me, Kagome, what else can you hear?” Akihiro asked in a desperate attempt to distract her.
 
No one spoke as Kagome sat and listened. As the minutes passed her eyes got wider and wider. “I…I can hear everyone breathing. I can hear your heart beats. How can I hear your heart beats? Wait, I can hear a weird swishing sound. What is that?”
 
Akihiro looked at his brothers in shock before lifting his hand to show him rubbing his fingers together slowly, the sound of his skin brushing against skin causing a definite swishing sound. When Kagome saw she stood up and started pacing. “Okay, that's weird. Too weird. How can I possibly hear that? I shouldn't be able to hear that.”
 
“I don't know, but it isn't something you need to worry over,” Akihiro looked nervous again. He hadn't meant to upset her.
 
“Perhaps it has something to do with father's youki, like the old miko said about the scroll.”
 
“Kagome, sit down! Don't worry about it. We'll figure it out. He's probably right.” Sango couldn't tell who was who at the moment, but it had been Shinji who had spoken last.
 
Kagome sighed again while slowing her pacing to a more normal gait. “I suppose, but it's so weird. I didn't even notice the difference before now. How do you not notice when you can hear everything so much better? How did I miss it?”
 
“Perhaps the change had happened while you slept and when you woke you did not notice the difference. Or perhaps it was gradual.” Yoshi shook his head in agreement with Akihiro's guess.
 
“Yeah, I suppose.” She let out another sigh before sinking to a seated position near her things. She grabbed one of her school books and opened it to a random page in an attempt to distract herself. It was just too weird for her to deal with at the moment. She had enough odd stuff going on between having a formerly human hating demon lord grabbing her ass and declaring his love within an hour, Inuyasha disappearing for days, talking with now three demons using only her mind. Yeah, it was just one too many weird things for one day.
 
~
 
“I am not sure if the necklace alone with be strong enough for it to work even though it uses Kagome's power as she cannot access all of it at this time. I believe the well allows Inuyasha to pass because the necklace gives Kagome a power over him that she could use if something were to occur and he were to lose control. A kind of safeguard for the future. As such, I do not believe it will allow you to pass unless the necklace can successfully subjugate you as it does Inuyasha. I do believe, however, that if you give something of yourself freely it may allow the necklace to draw on your power as well.”
 
“I see. And what is it you wish me to give?”
 
“I am not sure. That is why I wished to speak with you. It must be something that will incorporate into the necklace without altering it.”
 
Sesshoumaru thought for a moment before reaching up and pulling several strands of his hair from his scalp. “Will this do? You can use it to string the beads.”
 
“Ah, yes! That should do perfectly.”
 
“And how is it coming along? Will it be done soon? I wish to have it before she leaves again for her time. And I have reason to believe she may need some convincing to even put it on.”
 
“Yes, I was wondering about that. It should be done in two days. Will that leave you enough time?”
 
“I do believe so, yes. This Sesshoumaru thanks you for your assistance. Though if you have need of me again, it would not be wise to send the same man.”
 
“Oh, did something happen?” she asked with a knowing glint in her eye.
 
“The human took liberties with the miko that I do not approve of.”
 
“He held her hand, Kaede. I do believe, Sesshoumaru, that you are a tad territorial?” They both looked up to see Miroku leaning in the doorway, a bright pink handprint on each cheek.
 
“Ah, Miroku, did the village women chase you off so soon?” Kaede asked with a chuckle.
 
Miroku blushed a bit while scratching the back of his neck distractedly. “Yes, well apparently they were not in a playful mood today.”
 
“Hn,” was all the demon lord said before rising. “If you have need of me again, perhaps send someone with a better developed sense of self-preservation.” He looked at the monk who immediately got out of the way of the exit, bowing quickly to Kaede.
 
“It was nice to see you again, Kaede. It seems I must be going now. Good-bye.” He bowed again before bolting out the door to chase after the taiyoukai who, while only walking, had a markedly longer stride than the monk. When he had caught up he tried to fill the silence between them. “So, what did Kaede want with you?”
 
“That is none of your concern.”
 
“Oh, of course, yeah. I'm sorry. It's just, I heard her ask if you would have enough time. Is there something I could help you with?” The inu shot him a glance, making Miroku nervous. “I mean, since we're going to be traveling together and all. And because you want to court Kagome. And since I know her fairly well, since I keep all her secrets and all, well, I thought you might want some advice or something. Because I am completely behind you on this. I think you would be perfect for Kagome. She needs someone who can see Kagome when they look at her, not the Shikon Miko, or Kikyo's reincarnation. Just Kagome. I think Inuyasha has done a pretty good job of making her insecure and she's probably going to need a lot of reassurance. She told Sango she couldn't understand why you were interested in her, that she's not pretty or powerful. She doesn't think she's worthy of your attention, and…”
 
Sesshoumaru cut off Miroku's nervous rambling. “Perhaps another time. There is something wrong.”
 
“Something wrong? What is it? A demon? I don't sense one.”
 
“The miko is upset. Confused again. And worried.”
 
“Wow, you can feel all of that through the mark?”
 
“Yes. Perhaps you could be silent?”
 
“Oh, yeah, sure.” When Sesshoumaru shot him a glare the monk swallowed any and all other words that were aching to slip out.
 
~
 
Back at the camp Kagome was trying her hardest to read her history book but it was no use. She found herself listening just to see what she could hear. It was a few minutes later when she mumbled, “I'm not upset. Not really. It's just weird.”
 
Sesshoumaru's eyes scanned the area, checking to make sure he really was as far from the camp as he thought. He was sure he hadn't sent his words through the connection, merely spoken them aloud, and yet she somehow knew what he said. He stopped walking then, and spoke. “Kagome, can you hear me?”
 
Miroku looked at him like he was crazy. “There's no way she can…” His words were cut off by a raised clawed finger.
 
“Yeah. I can hear you just fine. And Miroku too. He just doesn't know how to shut up sometimes. I think you make him nervous.” Sesshoumaru's eyes widened as he heard her words. He could tell she was speaking at her normal level, not yelling or anything, and he could hear her. But how could she possibly hear him? “I bet you're wondering how I can hear you, right? I bet you've got one eyebrow all the way up in your hairline.” As he heard her words he did a brief mental check before attempting to force the eyebrow down. She already knew him so well. Either that or he was really predictable. “Yeah. I can hear everyone's heartbeats here at camp, too. Now start walking again so you can explain this to me.”
 
He began to walk, all the while trying to figure out how in the hell she had been able to hear him from such a distance. If this were permanent he would have to be much more careful if he ever wanted to surprise her. As he entered the clearing he noticed everyone was staring at Kagome who was staring with blank looking eyes at the book he had looked at before, the one that had information about the past of her time.
 
“It's about time. Did you really have to stop walking when you heard me? Now explain this!” She sounded bothered but not angry. Definitely confused.
 
“You are having enhanced hearing?”
 
“Uh, yeah. Thought that was rather obvious.” He narrowed his eyes at her. “Don't give me that look. Is this because of the youki too?”
 
“It is possible, though I have never heard of it happening before. But then I could not find many instances of humans taking in youki, let alone retaining and integrating it.”
 
“Of course not. I get to be the guinea pig on everything.” They all gave her the `what did you just say' look, but she wasn't in the mood to explain. “Never mind. Just never mind. Oh, and Miroku, as much as I appreciate your caring about me, could you not offer up my deepest secrets on a silver platter? And Sango, really. Why did you have to tell him all that?”
 
Miroku looked surprised and Sango looked guilty. “I..I'm sorry, Kagome. I just want to help.”
 
“Yeah well I don't need anyone's help, okay? And neither does he! He's doing perfectly fine without you all giving up all my thoughts and feelings. Alright?” With that she got up and stormed away.
 
“You think she's mad?” Sango asked quietly.
 
“Oh yes, she is most definitely mad,” was all Sesshoumaru said before following after her.