InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ Snake Bite ( Chapter 45 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 45 - Snakebite
 
 
“So what are we going to play this time?” Yuudai asked Yoshi since he made most of the decisions.
 
“I was thinking we should work on our training. We can show Shippo what we do. And then maybe a good run. We have to practice so we can be able to protect Mama.” The others all murmured their agreement before getting into formation, Shippo and Rin both sitting to watch. Rin loved to watch her brothers train. It reminded her of her lord Sesshoumaru and how he protects her. Shippo watched in amazement as they practiced snapping their whips, sending poison blades, always away from their observers of course. They also practiced their punches and kicks, sparring against each other. They were going to start using swords soon and were very excited about it.
 
~
 
Jaken decided that now was the perfect time for a nap. The young lords could protect themselves well enough since they were close by and for once he hadn't been ordered to watch over Rin. He finally had the opportunity to relax, something very difficult to do when one serves Lord Sesshoumaru of the Western Lands. He was always on his toes, trying to anticipate his lord's needs and orders. It was rather stressful and he definitely needed a break.
 
Sango decided to take a nap as well. She still wasn't feeling too great and once Kagome finished her exams they would be traveling again. The slayer knew to take a break when one presented itself. Inuyasha was a slave driver when it came to their travels, always wanted them to go further and go faster. She wasn't looking forward to finding out how Sesshoumaru was. She had a sneaking suspicion that he would be even worse, but then he would probably be worried about Kagome and not push them too hard. Either way, she was going to enjoy her moments of freedom and relax.
 
Miroku was laying in the shade reading one of the philosophy books Kagome had brought him. He also knew the value of downtime and was rather enjoying sitting on his ass for a bit. So long as no demons attacked the day was looking to be a nice one full of rest and reading.
 
Ah Un and Kirara had wandered off to look for something to eat. Kirara had, of course, told Sango she was leaving. Now that she could she didn't miss her chances to talk to her friend. The two went off in opposite directions, Ah Un looking for some nice delicious grasses and Kirara starting to hunt. She was hungry and was looking forward to taking down something big. She had been spending most of her time in her tiny kitten form but she still needed to eat often enough to make sure she had enough energy for a battle if one occurred.
 
In the village Kaede was putting the finishing touches on the subjugation beads Sesshoumaru had requested she make. She had told him they would probably be ready today and was rather surprised he had not shown up yet to check. He had seemed rather impatient. It was kind of funny, she thought, that he was eager to be subjugated. Inuyasha would probably call him crazy. She wondered once more what word Kagome would choose. She decided not to send anyone to their camp. Sesshoumaru was sure to come for the necklace soon enough. No need to scare the snot out of another villager. The last one had yet to come anywhere near her hut again, probably afraid she would send him on another `harmless errand'.
 
~
 
“So where do we start looking?” Kagome asked while watching the scenery gliding by beneath them. She was much more comfortable this time than the last. She knew for sure now that he wouldn't drop her so she was enjoying the view.
 
“This Sesshoumaru has an idea as to where Inuyasha may have gone. We will check there first.”
 
“Oh, where do you think he went?”
 
“There is a small cave in the western lands. He has used it from time to time in the past to hide and rest or to wait out a night such as tonight.”
 
“He never mentioned it. It's probably his special place, somewhere he feels safe. Definitely a good place to look.” She smiled up at him. “I hope he's there. How long will it take to get there?”
 
“It should take under an hour if we fly there directly.” He tightened his arm around her, pulling her chest flush against his own before burying his nose in her hair and breathing her in deeply.
“Yeah, your armor sucks. It's hard. And I have to make sure I don't impale myself on those damn shoulder spikes.” He loosened his hold slightly, having forgotten about the armor. He didn't want to hurt her by pressing her to the bone plates too hard.
 
“This Sesshoumaru apologizes for your discomfort. Tell me some more about your time. It will make the flight seem faster.”
 
She tilted her head, thinking. “Like what? It's hard to know where to even start. Everything is different.”
 
“Tell me of demons in your time. I could find nothing of them in your books.”
 
“Uhhh, yeah. That's because there really aren't any demons in my time. They are things of legends, stories. No one believes in them anymore. They're fairy tales. I didn't know demons really existed until I was dragging into the well by one. Gramps was always telling me stories but I thought they were just stories.”
 
He furrowed his eyebrows. No demons? How was it even possible? “So you are saying humans know nothing of real demons.”
 
“Yeah, and Inuyasha can't sense any and neither do I. Either they're all gone or they can hide themselves expertly. Kind of unnerving, right?”
 
“Yes,” he said slowly. “I do not see how demons would disappear completely. Perhaps they have adapted to hide themselves from your human population. This Sesshoumaru should live far longer than five hundred years.”
 
“Maybe they are really good at hiding. I hope so. I can't imagine all the demons from this time dying. Hmm, so you think you might be alive somewhere in my time?”
 
“It is possible. Being a taiyoukai I am nearly immortal. It is possible for me to be killed but I will not die of old age. In five hundred years I would only age five years or less.”
 
“I think about it a lot really. I think it might be possible that my coming to the past may change the future. It gives me a headache though to think about it. It gets so cyclical. My time here changes the future but then it would change me before I fall through the well, changing my experiences so that when I fell through the well things might not be the same because I wouldn't be the same. But then the whole born of two eras only complicates the whole thing. If I do what I am meant to do in this time will I not be sent back again? Would my father not need to leave us? I don't even know if I would be born if I wasn't needed. But then how did I get here now if I'm not even born in the future? See?”
 
“Yes, I can see how that would get rather confusing. I suppose we shall see eventually.”
 
“You really think something is going to keep me from aging and dying like a human should?”
 
“Most assuredly.” They fell silent for a while, each one lost in their thoughts of mortality and immortality. Sesshoumaru refused to believe he would be dead in five hundred years and Kagome would not die either. He would find a way if fate did not already have a plan. The prophecy did mention a transformation. Perhaps it would be the solution to her worries of death. Either way, he would not allow her to leave him now that he had her by his side.
 
Kagome had been trying to untie the knots she had tied her brain in with the while timeline discussion when she felt a familiar tug on her soul. “Sesshoumaru! I sense a jewel shard!”
 
“In which direction?” She pointed north and he extended his senses while floating in a stationary position. Not too far away he sensed a demonic presence near a large number of humans. “We will investigate.”
 
“But what about Inuyasha?”
 
“I believe the demon that I sense in the direction you indicated is attacking a human village.”
 
“Oh, well then let's go! We need to get the shard before Naraku anyway and I don't want more people to die because of the jewel.” She felt as they changed directions. It wasn't long before she could feel the demon aura as well.
 
“You will stay behind me. Let me protect you.”
 
“You know I'm not helpless! I can fight!”
 
“I know you can fight but I would rather you not if at all possible.” He listened as she let out a frustrated sigh. “I will retrieve the shard for you. Please, Kagome. I do not want to put you in danger.”
 
“We'll see. It depends on what happens when we get there.” He growled in frustration. “Oh quit your growling. If I'm not needed then I will stay behind you. The shard is close, right over that hill.” She pointed to a grassy mound that was blocking their view of the valley below. When they reached the top of the hill and looked down what they saw wasn't pretty. They hovered in place while evaluating the situation. There was more than one demon, several actually, and they appeared to be separating the villagers by force. Women were being dragged to one area while the men and young boys were being held back in another. Several of the men were attempting to fight but were being tossed back like rag-dolls.
 
“Which one has the shard, Kagome?”
 
She looked closely before she spotted it. “It's the big one just standing there, right by the women. What kind of demon are they?”
 
“They appear to be more snake demons. There must be a nest in the area.”
 
“What do you mean more?”
 
“The night I found your kit I killed several stalking a village in my lands. We are close to the border between the Northern and Western lands, but still in the north. You will stay back. They may be dangerous.”
 
“Yeah, sure. I'll bet. Now let's go before they start killing people!” They flew down into the valley, immediately attracting the attention of the attacking demons. The largest one who had the jewel shard merely watched as they approached, the others taking up battle positions. They were ugly things, almost as bad as the boar had been, maybe worse. Their skin was a sickly yellowish green and there were scales on their cheeks, forearms, and chests. Just the apparent leader had legs. The others were human-like in shape from the waist up but all snake down from there, standing upright on their tails. They all had orange slitted eyes and Kagome had to hold back a shudder as one's long, forked tongue slithered out, appearing to taste the air. They had no noses, just a flattened looking bump with little openings, and no ears either, just holes on the sides of their heads. They had no hair. Instead scales covered their scalps, forming a ridge that stuck out at about eye level all the way around their heads that stopped close to their eyes.
 
“Ahhh, I sssssee you have been sssso kind assss to bring me a beautiful woman. Thesssse village wenchessss are sssso plain. But thissss one looksss absssolutely delicioussss. Take her!” The women that had been thrown at his feet were whimpering and crying while the men still struggled against those that held them.
 
Sesshoumaru snarled as several of the demons moved towards them. “You are a fool if you think you will take what belongs to this Sesshoumaru.”
 
Their odd shaped eyes widened slightly and they slowed their pace until their leader yelled once more. “Kill him! He isssss but one and you are many! And he issss but half a man. He hassss only one arm!” Being reassured by basic math they began their approach once more at a heightened speed.
 
He couldn't use the Tokijin in such close proximity to so many humans without risking injuring them or destroying their homes so he was going to have to fight with his claws. He released Kagome and she moved behind him a few steps, grabbing her bow and stringing an arrow, ready if she was needed. The snakes that had not moved to attack watched on with interest while holding the men and boys back and were treated to quite a show. As they moved closer Sesshoumaru flicked out his whip, wrapping it around the throat of the closest offender. He hissed in pain as his skin sizzled. With just a flick of his wrist the whip sliced through his neck, his head dropping to the ground, the body following shortly after. After that everything was a blur. They rushed at him as one and found themselves flying through the air, their spines snapping as they collided with trees. One got a clawed hand through his chest. Once the hand was pulled back the hole grew larger as the corrosive poison ate outwards. He fell to his knees before collapsing completely, his major organs all having completely dissolved. Two more were beheaded by the whip like the first while several found themselves missing arms, screaming as the poison spread from the gushing wounds into their torsos before also dropping to the ground and remaining still.
 
The leader hissed in anger before ordering the others to attack the demon lord as well. When they left the men they had been guarding several of the villagers began to run towards their women still holding to each other in fear at the largest and lead demon's feet. “Stop! Stay back!” Kagome cried out to them. The men skidded to a stop, staring at the oddly dressed woman with the bow.
 
A few women began to notice that the leader was distracted; watching as more and more of his men were killed by tall dog demon that had intruded on his fun. They started to crawl away slowly but their movement attracted his attention back to them. “And where isss it you think you are going? You will not essscape, my new sssslavesss!” He extended his hands, each finger turning into a long snake; mouths open wide, fangs dripping a yellowish substance. The long snake appendages wrapped around an ankle of one, the wrist of another, and the throat of a third, dragging them all back to his feet. The other women screamed as the new snakes hissed at them, rearing back and threatening to strike.
 
Kagome glanced at Sesshoumaru who was still busy with the attacking snake demons before looking back to where the shard-possessor lifted the one he caught by the ankle, laughing as she screamed in terror and her clothes fell over her head, temporarily blinding her and giving him a show. “Let her go!” Kagome screamed. He looked in her direction, sending her a dark fang filled smirk and lifting another village woman in the air, shaking her to make her scream louder. Kagome released her arrow, slicing through the snake holding one of the women in the air. She fell the short distance to the ground and Kagome now had his full attention.
 
“A priessstesss. You dare attack the great Hebitoru? You will regret that. I would have allowed you to ssserve me but now you ssssshall die.” His snake fingers released their holds on the other women and he took a few steps towards Kagome who had readied another arrow. Seeing that he was distracted once more the women made their way to the men of the village, some running, some limping, and some crawling through the dirt.
 
“I will do no such thing. You're disgusting, kidnapping women! And a coward too, sending your followers to their deaths rather than fighting yourself.” The demon now identified as Hebitoru rushed towards her, extending his tentacle like snakes at her. She released her arrow but he managed to dodge. She fumbled for another arrow but didn't have time. One of the snakes wrapped around her wrist. Kagome let out a shriek and tugged back, trying to release his hold. In seconds the head of the snake loosened and fell to the ground along with nine others. Sesshoumaru had turned just in time to slice through them before more reached her. The heads on the ground hissed and writhed, snapping at her feet. She backed up and Sesshoumaru stepped between the offending demon and her.
 
“Now you will die,” Sesshoumaru snarled before rushing the demon who dared to attack his Kagome.
 
“Be careful, Sesshoumaru! He has the shard!” Kagome yelled.
 
Hebitoru's eyes snapped to her as he jumped back, bending backwards matrix style to avoid the approaching claws. “You can ssssee my sssshard.” He was drawn back to attention when Sesshoumaru wrapped his whip around both wrists, yanking them together and causing the new snakes that had emerged to screech in the most awful high pitch while writhing in pain.
 
“Where is the shard, Kagome?” he called back to her. She studied the struggling demon looking for the telltale glow.
 
“It's under the scales on its right arm! Shit!” she yelped. While she had been distracted one of the disembodied snakes managed to reach her and had latched onto her ankle. She jumped back away from the rest which were closer than she thought, nearly stumbling as she felt the fangs tear at the tendons in her ankle. She tried to shake the thing off but its fangs had punctured deep and its hold was tight.
 
He immediately felt her pain and fear. As the scent of her blood hit his sensitive nose his eyes bled red. He lifted his arm quickly, dragging the offender closer with the whip still sizzling around the snake demon's wrists. In an instant he had buried his claws in Hebitoru's chest, releasing his poison as fast as it would flow. The screaming snakes began slam into his armor in an attempt to sink their fangs into him wherever they could find. Several latched onto his arm but he didn't even feel it.
 
The snake merely hissed at him. “Your poissson cannot harm me. I am invinssscible with the power of the ssssshard. And while you ssstruggle with me the priessssstessss ssshall die.”
 
Kagome was starting to feel odd. She lost her balance and fell backward, landing hard on her ass and jolting her spine. She knew she had to do something. She pulled a hair ribbon out of her bag after what seemed like endless digging. She tied it around her leg below the knee as tightly as possible. She could see the course of the poison starting from where the snake head was still holding on. There were sickly yellow-green lines traveling up her calf, the deadly substance flowing in her veins. Once she had tied the knot securely she reached for an arrow, charged it as much as she could while in her dazed and pained state and stabbed it into the snake's head, purifying it into dust. She could barely move and sat staring at the oddly colored blood leaking out of the punctures.
 
She was in serious danger. His mate could die. The beast, who now had full control, snarled again before yanking his claws from the snake's chest and slashing at its throat. Blood gushed from the wound and the demon began to fall. Sesshoumaru sliced the right arm off before the demon hit the ground and in seconds had filleted it open and removed the shard. With the shard held tightly in his hand he turned and raced to where Kagome sat. “It… hurts. Poison… blood… stream.” She was barely conscious as he took in her condition. Within seconds he had her ankle in his mouth, sucking the poison and tainted blood from her leg.
 
The villagers had been gathered in a small crowd, the women behind the men who held farming tools as weapons. They watched in fear as the large snake demon had fought the tall silver haired demon. They were silently praying for the snake to lose, too afraid to attempt to aid the fallen woman with miko powers that had protected their women. When the demon called Hebitoru fell they caught sight of the demon that had come to their rescue. His eyes were blood red, his markings jagged. He had lost control of his blood beast during the fight and now they had a new demon to worry about. When he approached the fallen woman they watched on in horror. He sunk his fangs into the woman he had been protecting. If he would attack her then he would surely attack them as well. The men gathered up their nerve before approaching, pitchforks and pick-axes in hand. “Demon, get away from her! Leave us be!” one yelled.
 
“No…wait…” Kagome gasped at them, trying to hold up her hand to stop them. The beast released her leg for a moment to snarl threateningly at the approaching men before resuming his task.
 
`Save her! Save our mate!' his beast screamed in his head.
 
`Release your hold on control so I can try!' he snarled back. His beast pulled back enough for him to regain control but refused to fully retreat. He would not leave their mate, not when she was in such danger.
 
The villagers backed up for a moment before deciding they had to save the miko. They could not allow the demon to kill her when she had tried to save them. The demon was too far gone to stop himself. They knew a demon whose beast was in control was the most dangerous. The blood lust would compel them to kill and kill. They steeled their nerves and approached again, their weapons held out in front of them shaking with their fear.
 
“Stop… leave him… not hurting… me.”
 
The men ignored the weak words of the miko, being completely focused on the demon they had to stop somehow. One of the women however heard her and realized what she was trying to say. “Stop! Leave him alone! He isn't hurting her!” she cried at them while rushing to reach them. “She came with him. He protected her. He's not hurting her.”
 
“Fool! Are you blind? He has his fangs buried in her flesh right now!” He took a threatening step forward, lifting the pitchfork he held in preparation to stab it into the demon. He moved forward another step before flying backwards. The others looked around, trying to figure out what had happened. Seeing no reason for the man to have suddenly taken flight another stepped forward to take his place.
 
The woman watched as Kagome looked at him before lifting her hand slightly, the man flying back just like the first. “Stop! She is protecting him!” The woman reached forward slowly, gliding her fingertips along the surface of a barrier that shimmered into view, glowing a bright pink at her touch. “Do you see now?” she asked as the other men stood in shock and began to back away.
 
“Sessho… (gasp) maru…” He looked up at her, having removed as much poison as he could. What had already spread through her body, though, was slowly killing her. Her skin was turning yellow, she was sweating, and her eyes were glazed. He could detect the sour smell of death dominating her normally beautiful sweet scent. He had to do something, anything else. His beast was screaming, begging for her to stay. He was not ready to lose her, either half of him. In an instant he leaned down and pressed his lips to her, pouring his youki into her weakened form. He pulled back to look at her but nothing had changed. It wasn't helping. He lifted her now limp form to lean against his chest before putting his wrist to his mouth and tearing it open with a fang. He tilted her head and cut a slice on the side of her throat. As the blood began to pour from her he pressed his bleeding wrist to the cut he had made. Her eyes stared into his for a few moments before fluttering closed. He still held the still bleeding wounds together as he listened to her breathing become ragged and as her heart beat slowed to a stop. Their connection died as she did, sending pain ripping through his chest.
 
`No! No! She isn't dead! Save her! Use the sword! Do something! Bring her back!'
 
Sesshoumaru couldn't move, couldn't even breathe. He had failed her. He had allowed her to be injured. He had allowed her to die.
 
Miles away ten demons were terrified. Eight transformed, howling their pain and one cried out for his Mama. One more transformed beside her friend and companion, waking her from her nap. `Kagome is in trouble. Sango, hurry. I will take you to Rin.' In seconds the once sleeping slayer was on the fire-neko's back and in the air. A few seconds more and she was standing beside a little girl who was crying her eyes out while begging someone to tell her what was going on.
 
Sango held Rin close to her and watched as Shippo jumped on a transformed Kazue who took flight. The pups in their demon forms took off at high speed and Kirara flew away too. By the time Miroku had reached the two everyone had disappeared into the distance. Sango tried to soothe the crying girl. “I don't know what happened honey, but I know that Sesshoumaru would never let anything happen to Kagome. I'm sure she's fine.” `I hope she's fine. Please be fine Kagome. I can't lose you.'
 

 
Author's Notes:
 
Hebitoru - I made this one up. The character and the name. Hebi means snake according to my notes here, and toru means penetrating or wayfarer. Guess which meaning I chose. Yeah, I bet you're right. So this one should mean penetrating snake? Close enough for me.
 
No one lynch me or anything. You all know very well she can't stay dead!
 
Iloveprettysilverhair - Thanks for the review. I'm glad you're enjoying the story!
 
Syoze - Ouch. Down the toilet? How very fun for you. Reminds me of an animaniacs cartoon I used to love. (I'm pretty sure it was the animaniacs anyway) It was a cute little duck boy and he flushed everything down the toilet. “Watch go down the hole. Ducky go down the hole. Wireless card go down the hole.” LOL My friends and I were always saying that when I was younger. Yes, I was and am rather silly.
 
Faye - Sesshoumaru should be getting some attention, shouldn't he. I guess I'll have to keep that in mind.
 
Chaos - I guess the whole `everything is perfect in the fanfiction world' is up for debate about now, right? I think there are too many stories where Inuyasha is the bad guy. I don't think he hurts her intentionally. He's just rather dim and self involved.
 
Dee - Glad you like it!
 
Arryelle - There's a story on mediaminer, not sure if its on a single spark or not, called Wolf Moon by Unseelie Sidhe. It's awesome and kind of the inspiration for the whole lime scene. I absolutely love it, along with the idiot's guide to dog demons she wrote too. I just wish she would write new chapters for it!!! Glad you liked the limes so much. If my husband read them he would probably gag at me.
 
Ceira - You certainly are full of questions, and all ones I can't answer too! Glad you like the story and definitely happy your in suspense. Kind of the point and all.
 
Sweetdarksilence - Oh, you're in suspense too? I guess I'm doing my job then. Thanks for taking the time to review!
 
Meara - Glad you liked it. I just couldn't resist when that sentence popped into my head. I swear, some of the weirdest things pop in there, at the oddest times too! Glad you like the pace. I don't want to go too fast but then too slow isn't good either. Some stories seem to take forever and I get bored with them and stop reading. Or there is only like one lemon in the very last chapter. Absolutely kills me.
 
Sesshysgirl06 - I went and looked at the story you mentioned. I have already read it. Hell, I've read most everything that was complete before I started posting this. I haven't had much time for reading since, but I spent all night reading and playing with the broadband! Very much fun, sitting in my bed on the internet.
 
Lester joe - It wouldn't be any fun if I just threw them together with no real plot. Otherwise it would end up a oneshot. Besides, sexual tension is great fun. Hope you can stand it! Full lemon is still a great ways away, but there will most likely be limes galore.
 
Jean - Love that song. We have the movie and the soundtrack. (My husband) But I sing it all the time and I definitely agree, Kikyo is a bitch.
 
Shdwshifter - I doubt you'll have to wait long. More limes in the future! Thanks for the review!
 
Cocoke5 - Kouga will be coming into the picture fairly soon, so we'll find out how he reacts then. Inuyasha turns up in the next chapter, finally. Things a fine over here, thanks for asking. Destiny and I are working on our unit on space at the moment. (We're homeschooling)
 
Not needed - Sesshy isn't really mean in this story, just pretended to be. Oh well. Hope you're enjoying it anyway!
 
Rainbowchaser73 - It's possible. Rin could be an ancestor. Dog instinct is one of my favorite things too. And Sesshoumaru definitely deserves some reciprocation.
 
Childofthemoon - I'll try my best to remember. Saturday. Saturday. I should be able to get a chapter up that day for you.
 
J-Lou - Glad you like it! Thanks for the review.