InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ A Miko's Wish ( Chapter 60 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 60 - A Miko's Wish
 
 
Kagome's sleep was restless, filled with odd dreams. Multiple times she dreamed of walking down the stairs, outside and to the well house. When she would walk in, there would be the oddest light shining from under the floorboards. Every time she went closer, though, she would find herself elsewhere, in another completely unrelated dream. She went from well house to school; well house to the kitchen having breakfast; well house to Kaede's hut; well house to the shrine gift shop; well house to … well, you get the point. At some time during the night, her shifting had disturbed the sleeping demon lord who rolled to his back allowing her the space to toss and turn, which she did for the remainder of the night.
 
When she opened her eyes she felt odd. It was almost like she was in another dream. Maybe she was. Oh well, if she was dreaming then she knew what she was supposed to do next. She crawled out of the bed without waking the sleeping inu beside her. She slipped into the jammies she would have worn, had she not slept naked instead and crept down the stairs careful to miss the squeaky one. Not bothering with shoes, since she hadn't every other time, she walked out the kitchen door, closing it behind her silently. She padded across the shrine courtyard, noticing for the first time that her feet were cold on the cement. They hadn't been in the other dreams. She brushed it off as unimportant, glancing at the sky seeing the oranges and reds that signaled dawn's approach. It would be light soon but it was still too early to be out of bed. She shrugged her shoulders at the silly thought. She wasn't out of bed any more than she had been the other ten or so times she walked this path.
 
She reached the well house and slid the doors open as quietly as possible, though the scraping sound of the wood was unavoidable. She didn't know why she was bothering to be quiet; it wasn't like she could disturb anyone from her dream! She entered cautiously, her eyes instantly being drawn to the bright green glow pouring out of the cracks between the old floorboards. She moved closer, fully expecting to blink and find herself up a tree or some other equally odd and annoying dream location. She was getting closer than she had ever gotten before. She actually made it all the way to where the glow emanated from. She looked closely and saw that one of the boards had gaps all the way around and was much shorter then the other boards. She brushed her fingers along the edge, finding one of the sides sitting slightly higher than the rest. It was just enough for her to catch with her nails and pull the small board. The four inch by eight inch piece of wood came up easily, she had to shield her eyes as the glow intensified now that it was no longer hindered. It appeared to be a hidden compartment, since it was closed in on all sides and had a bottom as well, where any of the others would have allowed her to see the dirt below the slightly raised floor.
 
Inside the secret compartment was a box. Her heart clenched in her chest. She recognized this box, but it couldn't be the same one. The last time she saw it, it was five hundred years in the past and nowhere near the well. Almost as if in a trance, she reached down and picked up the small redwood box. It was the source of the light. Bright green shined out from the seam where the lid and the box met, the color reminding her of the glow of Sesshoumaru's whip and poison. She sat back on her heels, entirely confused. She hadn't ended up anywhere else. She hadn't woken up. She was still in the well house holding a very real feeling box. She sat there for a while, just staring at the odd glow that was so similar to the bright red light that had shined out of the box just like this one in the past. The one that held the crystal heart that allowed her to give her gift to Inuyasha, her greatest wish for him, to be happy as he was and be able to protect himself and those he cared about. Did that mean…?
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Sesshoumaru woke slowly, still surrounded by her scent. He rolled to the side where her soft, warm body should have been but all he found were cold sheets. His eyes shot open and in an instant he was up, looking around the room. He sniffed and realized that her scent was weak in the air. She'd left the room a while ago. He hadn't noticed because her bed and his body were both covered in the residual scent of her. He couldn't decide what to do. She could be perfectly fine, maybe in the `bathroom' or the kitchen and he was overreacting. Then thoughts of the previous night rushed back into his already troubled mind. She had made him promise not to leave her, but she had disappeared on him while he slept! What did it mean? Had she changed her mind, decided he wasn't worth the trouble? As much as the thought hurt he couldn't bring himself to believe it. She had shown nothing but love and honesty the night before. Deciding he had to find her, see her, hold her tightly right now, he looked around for something to put on. He couldn't close the pants he had worn the night before and he had no idea where she had hidden his own clothing. Grudgingly he dug around in the bags until he found the `pajama' pants she had shown him and dubbed `cute'. He quickly removed the boxers, deciding since they had the same type of waistband he didn't need both layers, before pulling on the night pants and heading out the door. He didn't bother with a shirt. He didn't have time for that.
 
He followed her scent trail down the stairs and to the kitchen door. He opened it, careful not to make enough noise to wake the sleeping humans inside the house, before continuing on to the well house; his nose wrinkling in disgust at the powerfully unpleasant scents in the air. Why would she be in the well house? Did she go back to his time? Without him? No, he decided, that couldn't be it because the connection was still intact. He walked rather quickly towards the sad looking structure, not wanting to appear worried but wanting to get there fast. When he reached the door he knew she was in there. Her scent was strong in the air. There was an odd light coming from the other side of the well and he walked around slowly. He froze in place when he saw her. She was holding that box again, but it was different. It was glowing green. She looked up at him before lifting her hands toward him as if offering him the item she held. He extended a finger and just barely touched the box, watching as the lid lifted on it's own. They both stared in shock, as they laid eyes on the contents of the box. It was another faceted crystal heart, but this one was bright green, like his aura and his youki.
 
He watched, as if frozen in place, as she held the box in one hand and reached in with the other. Once again, the instant she touched it, the crystal stopped glowing. She picked it up, dropping the box carelessly. “I think it's… for you,” she said softly, now standing before him. She held it out and he touched it. They both watched as it cracked and broke in two. There was a whirl of wind that came out of nowhere, surrounding them like a funnel cloud. Sesshoumaru instantly pulled her to his chest in an attempt to shield her from whatever was happening. She held the pieces of the stone tightly in her hand, waiting for whatever was coming to just happen already.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
As the sun rose over the horizon, Inuyasha let out a frustrated sigh. Even with her scent covering the bedding and the warm little bodies surrounding him, he just couldn't sleep without her. Just a few nights with her in his arms and he knew it would never be the same. He didn't think he would be able to sleep alone, high in the branches of a tree, ever again. Not now that he had experienced the warmth and peace found only in her presence. It was going to be a long week. Extending his senses, he checked the area for any hint of danger but found none, at least none if he didn't count the wolf's group camping not too far away. Really, it was too close in his opinion. The other side of the world would be too close for Inuyasha when it came to Kouga and Kagome. The obstinate demon was in for a rude awakening when Sesshoumaru and Kagome returned from her time. The hanyou was beyond convinced that they would be mates, his brother and his miko. If Sesshoumaru wasn't so intent on a proper courting, which he personally thought was overrated; they would be mates within the week.
 
They would train before breakfast; he had decided during the night, when he'd had an abundant amount of time to think. After breakfast, he would try to keep them entertained until Kaede showed up for miko lessons. He wasn't sure yet, how, but he would figure it out soon enough... he hoped.
 
Hitoshi was laying perfectly still, breathing slowly and evenly in an attempt to keep `Uncle' Inuyasha from realizing he was awake. He needed a bit of time to think, without disruption, which was hard to do with now seven brothers and one sister. Those wolves had really upset him, especially the one with the big mouth. How dare that conceited demon think that Kagome was his woman? How dare he insinuate that she wasn't safe with her pack, that she needed their protection? Hitoshi certainly hadn't forgotten the things the wolf prince had said the last time he was near. To insult his Mama's honor like that, to say such… such… disgusting things about her was unacceptable. He had never before been so angry at another being; never had he felt such a great need for revenge. He smirked mentally as he made his plans. They would soon wish that they had just turned around and went home, like Inuyasha said. Between his sneaky mind, Akihiro's intelligence and Shippo's fox magic; they had all the tools necessary to make their lives hell, until they either left or Mama and Father came back and ran them off. Akihiro wasn't usually the type for this kind of activity; when it came to his Mama though, the rules went out the window. The wolf would eat his words.
 
Shinji was also awake, but he was aware that his brother was as well. He knew Hitoshi. He knew what the little trouble maker was thinking and usually he or Yoshi would have put a stop to it before it even started; this time… he'd decided last night that he would assist them in their plans. It actually sounded sort of fun, at the very least it would be a distraction, a way to pass the time until Mama came back. He let his mind wander for a while, imagining all the things they could do to the wolves, especially with Shippo on their side. Yes, this was promising to be very entertaining.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Suddenly, the sound of the wind was gone and the air was motionless around them; but they could still see the swirling air of the funnel that they were in the center of. There was absolutely no sound for a few moments before a voice was heard.
 
“What good am I to her? She deserves a whole man, one who does not suffer from such weakness. She should be held by two loving arms, protected by two strong hands. I should let her go, to find a better, stronger man who would not fail her. She should not stay with me because she feels she must. Such a perfect angel should not be chained to such an imperfect demon.” The words were said in Sesshoumaru's voice, though he had never said them aloud. Kagome looked up at him with tears shining in her eyes once more.
 
Before either could speak, another voice spoke from the silence.
 
“This is how I know you, how I love you, I wouldn't change you for the world. If … if I could… I would give it back to you; not because I want it… but because it hurts you so much not to have it.” There was a short pause before Kagome's voice continued to fill the air. “I wish there was some way to make him believe me, really believe me. He's never going to let himself move past it. He will always feel like half a man, always blame himself for some imagined weakness or failure. I wish I could give it back to him. It would make him happy, let him really be truly happy without it dragging him down, without questioning himself. That's all I want. I just want him to be happy with himself, comfortable in his own skin again. I wish…”
 
He looked down at her in surprise. He remembered the first part but she had never said the last aloud in his presence. Each looked like they wanted to question the other but they didn't have a chance before a third voice spoke.
 
“You wish to give her up; give her up in hopes of her finding true happiness with another, better, more complete man; at the cost of your own heart and happiness. You find yourself undeserving because of your imperfection and your inability to hold the one you love in the circle of your arms.” There was a short pause. “And you wish not for him to change for you but only so that he may find true happiness by being able to once again see himself as whole. You love and accept him as he is, flawed and yet perfect in your eyes. Your greatest wish for him is a selfless wish, the desire for him to end his pain and insecurities. You understand him well, Kagome. He would never be completely convinced that he was good enough for you, never be truly happy, so long as he carried the evidence of his own loss and failure. Bestow your gift upon your Sakimitama and make him whole once more.”
 
Kagome moved the larger piece of the green crystal to her right hand, while the smaller piece rested in the palm of her left. They both watched in awe as the quarter of the red crystal that had previously disappeared into her palm reappeared. It then merged with the green quarter, forming the top half of a heart, red on the left and green on the right, before the now connected pieces disappeared into her palm once more. She gently held the larger green piece over his heart, watching as it sunk into his chest and disappeared from sight.
 
Kagome nearly screamed when Sesshoumaru's eyes widened and he dropped to his knees, clutching the remaining part of his upper left arm with his right hand in an attempt to stop the pain. She fell to her knees in front of him and pulled him tightly to her body, feeling him go slack in her arms. She carefully lowered him the rest of the way to the floor, lovingly brushing his bangs out of his eyes and finding him blessedly unconscious.
 
The young miko watched over her demon lord as his arm was returned to him. First she looked on as the bone of his upper arm grew past the point of the cut, ripping through the skin and scar tissue that had healed over the open wound at the end of what little arm he had been left with. It was amazing to watch the bone lengthen and form. The muscles and tendons, arteries and veins appeared to snake out from where the cut had originally been made, wrapping and layering. As the tendons near the elbow appeared the two bones of the forearm started to form, the wrapping and layering of his flesh continuing down to his wrist. His upper arm was complete already, new skin covering the newly replaced length of his arm. The skin grew lower as the smaller bones of his hands and fingers appeared one by one, held together by the slithering tendons. She watched in awe as the skin extended past his wrist, his markings appearing to rise from deep below his new, pale skin to settle on the surface. His fingers were finished, deadly claws growing one by one until he was whole for the first time in nearly two years.
 
She smiled down on him, seeing how both arms were exactly the same. The markings were perfect, the muscles the same size, his claws the same length. It was like his arm had never been gone. He would be so happy when he woke up. Kagome leaned down and kissed his lips softly, surprised when he began to kiss back. She opened her eyes to see his bright golden orbs watching her and she felt both of his arms slip around her waist.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Kagura was sitting in the corner of a small room of the castle Naraku called home, watching with a clear look of distaste on her face, hatred shining in her bright red eyes. She had been ordered to assist the witch in whatever way was required. Already she had gone to fetch ingredients from different and difficult, for most at least, locations. She'd spent the whole night, after delivering the witch, out on errands and was absolutely tired of it. If Naraku wanted these fake shards so badly then he should be the one flying all over the Kamis' creation to fetch rare herbs, ancient tree sap, moss from deep within the caves in the Eastern Mountains and other equally inane and annoying items. She didn't want to have anything to do with this. The panthers would likely blame her, for their betrayal at Naraku's hands, and they would have every right to. Except that she did not act of her own free will.
 
She had decided that she would find a way to warn them, before the meeting that night, not to use the jewel shards, especially the youngest girl. The more she had thought about it, the more she had become disgusted with herself for willingly sacrificing another just to save herself. Maybe she was as bad as he? No, not as bad but definitely not good. No woman would lead another into what Naraku was planning, demon or human, unless they were just as dark and twisted as the demented hanyou she was forced to serve. She forcibly held back a shudder at the thought of what the young demoness would go through if she didn't do something to stop it. She had to figure out something, and soon.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Hiromi knew exactly what had happened in the little building on the edge of the shrine courtyard. She'd know it was coming all night as she felt the power hidden there calling out to her daughter to come and find it. Finally, the beckoning stopped and she felt the flare of magic as the change was initiated. She had always known her daughter would know how to activate the item hidden there all this time, especially after she'd heard of Inuyasha's change. Soon her to-be son-in-law would be whole, physically and mentally. She wondered when he planned on asking. She knew for a fact that he intended to ask her and her father, since Kagome's father was not available at the moment, and she was curious on how he would approach the topic. Of course she would say yes. Her father might make a big deal and yell like an old fool for a few minutes but then he would say yes as well. He acted as he did more out of habit, than anything else, as he had long ago accepted Inuyasha and had known that this was coming for a while now. Their Kagome wouldn't be quite their Kagome for much longer. However, the change would make her stronger, give her the tools and the power to defeat the evil that pursued the jewel, once and for all. The jewel would return to its rightful place in the miko's body, where it would cease to exist as a separate entity. It would mix and merge with her daughter's body and soul. The power would remain but the jewel would not.
 
Hiromi got herself up out of bed, not really having slept at all, and made her way down to the kitchen to start breakfast. Yes, it was early, but she knew two people who were going to be too busy celebrating to go back to sleep. She didn't know what the demon lord would prefer to eat. Perhaps she should ask him, or send him with Kagome to the supermarket to get whatever he wished. She grinned at the thought, the great demon Lord Sesshoumaru, walking around the grocery store pushing a cart like a little old lady, while Kagome pointed out and identified things. It would be a shame to miss it, but the two needed as much time alone as they could get while they were here, because once they returned to the past it would be much harder to find the privacy that a courting couple would desire. She laughed lightly at the thought. Yes, it would definitely be difficult with nine children attached to Kagome at the hip.
 
She wondered just how the traveling would go now that so many had joined their pack. Would Kagome still ride on Inuyasha's back at times or would Sesshoumaru commandeer the privilege? Or would she ride that beautiful inu Sesshoumaru had given her for protection? She had a feeling Kagome's arms would be getting a great deal stronger over the next few months as tired children wished to be carried, as she lifted them in the air and spun around, making them laugh, or as a scraped knee or a cut foot required Mama's love and assistance. Ah, the joys of being a mother, times nine. It would definitely be interesting and difficult as well, but she knew her Kagome was strong enough to take whatever the world threw at her, and she grew stronger every day.
 
The older woman let out a wistful sigh. Her little girl was all grown up, much earlier then she'd ever expected when she first held the cute little baby girl in her arms. She found it easy not to be jealous of other mothers though. While they got to spend more time with their daughters, got to keep them children much longer, and got to watch the progression from child to young lady to grown woman, her daughter would change the world for the better. Her daughter was making a difference, in a way that no one else could even possibly come close to. She couldn't help but be filled with pride, even if no one would ever know the truth. Sure, she probably wouldn't get to plan the dream wedding with Kagome, or watch her walk down the aisle. It was very unlikely that she'd ever be able to show off her grand-children, both present and future, without either strong magic or very interesting and impossible to answer questions. There would be no bragging about how wonderfully she was doing in college, or what an impressive job or promotion she'd gotten, but the fate of the world, the very existence of a whole species, depended on her little girl, and she was sure the world would not be let down. Saving the world definitely ranked higher than grades and promotions.
 
Glancing out the window towards the well house she knew that it was done. He was whole once more and happier than he'd been for centuries. She couldn't help but smile. Things would be hard, but in the end they would turn out right and Kagome would be happy. This man, no, this taiyoukai, held the matching half to Kagome's soul. You could tell, just by the way their aura's twined together while the pair remained oblivious. With as different as they were, day and night, light and dark, miko and demon, they were meant for each other, complimented each other perfectly. Her playfulness to his serious attitude, her bubbly personality to his stoic one, her compassion to his sheer destructive power, when the two were together there was balance, total synchronicity. Hiromi quickly pushed her thoughts from her mind. She needed to focus if she was going to have something ready for them when they came in. They would be exiting the well house any minute now and she'd done nothing but gaze around the kitchen, lost in her thoughts, completely defeating the purpose of bothering to get out of bed.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
The darkness clouding his mind slowly receded and just as he was about to open his eyes he felt her soft lips on his. He immediately responded, sensing her surprise. He opened his eyes and gazed into hers before slipping his arms around her body. It took him a moment to realize that he could feel her with two hands. His eyes widened in surprise and Kagome broke the kiss to laugh.
 
“Did you forget? How does it feel?”
 
He released her to look at his arms, noting the matching stripes with approval. It was like his own arm had returned to him, it was the perfect match. In a second he had her under him on the dusty old wood floor. “I do not know. This Sesshoumaru must test it to be sure.” Kagome rolled her eyes and laughed for a moment before being silenced by his lips. He supported his weight on his right elbow, his right hand buried in her hair; while his new left hand began the process of becoming acquainted with the only body it would ever touch in such a fashion. He touched her cheek gently before sliding his hand over her shoulder and down her side to the dip of her waist. He slipped it under the bottom of her shirt and across her soft bare skin. He was incredibly pleased to discover that she hadn't bothered with a bra when dressing. He softly cupped her right breast before sliding his thumb over the steadily hardening nipple. It wasn't quite right though. He rolled them again before sitting up with her in his lap. He leaned against the far side of the well, effectively hiding them if anyone happened to peek through the open door, before giving her a heated look. She merely smiled back and lifted her arms over her head, allowing him to pull her shirt off and drop it at his side. As soon as the beautiful, milky white, pink tipped mounds came into full view he was holding them both, one in each hand almost as if comparing their weight. His thumbs grazed both nipples simultaneously, pulling a groan from her as her head fell back and her back arched, pushing her breasts more firming into his hands. “Much better. So perfect,” he murmured while leaning down to catch a peak between his lips and teasing it with his tongue as his hands traced her sides. “This is so much better.”
 
“I'm glad you're happy, Sesshoumaru. You deserve to be happy.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru will be much happier once I get you back up to your room,” he said in a deep, husky tone full of promise.
 
“I'm sure you will, but it will have to wait. Mama's probably already up and making breakfast, and Gramps will be down soon too. She always seems to know when I wake up. Must be a mom thing. My friends are coming over in the afternoon and there were some things I wanted to do this morning.” The look on his face was the closest thing to a pout she figured she would ever see. “We have all the time in the world for you to put your hands to good use, but I can only buy certain things here in my time and we're only here so long. I promise I'll make it up to you.”
 
He smirked at her. “This Sesshoumaru will hold you to that promise.”
 
“I would expect no less,” she said with a grin, which shifted into a moan as he decided he needed a few more minutes with her breasts before they could be hidden away from him. One arm wrapped around her lower back while his free hand entertained the nipple not currently being tormented by his tongue. He loved the way she squirmed for him. She was so easy, so responsive, so beautiful, so deliciously addictive.
 
Kagome allowed him and her, his fun for a few minutes before deciding if he kept going she would be naked for him in moments, just begging for a replay of the previous night. Not that he wouldn't have been happy to comply, but she really didn't need Gramps coming to check why the well house doors were open, or some other equally embarrassing intruder. She lovingly pulled his face up from her chest to kiss his lips softly. “We need to go inside. They'll still be there later, I promise.”
 
He smirked at her before giving one last tweak to the peak he held between his fingers. “This Sesshoumaru will release you after you tell me your plans for the morning.”
 
“Fine, but let me put my shirt on. If I don't, you won't be able to focus, and I really don't want someone to walk in and get a free show.”
 
He scowled at the idea of another seeing her beautiful body. Only he would have such a privilege. Every inch of her delicate form belonged only to him. Deciding she was right, and that he would probably be forced to kill the fool if someone were to accidentally see her as she was now, he handed her the discarded top, watching as she shook the dust from it before pulling it over her head. Once the truly distracting beauties were hidden from his sight, he found he could once more focus on her eyes, finding humor in them. Apparently she thought his fascination with her breasts was entertaining. “Is something amusing, Kagome?” he asked in a teasing tone.
 
“I just find it interesting that the gap between species isn't as big as either side would imagine, at least when it comes to certain things.”
 
He frowned. What did she mean?
 
Seeing his lips twitch downward, she laughed. “I'm just saying that men are men, whether human or demon. The obsession with breasts is the same. Alright, I want to do some shopping this morning. There are a few things I need to restock, like ramen for instance. I also have some things I want to pick up for the kids. It'll give you a chance to see more than the inside of my house. Now come on. I'm hungry. I didn't get to eat very much dinner last night you know.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru did not instigate last night's events. I merely finished them.”
 
“It's not my fault you look good enough to eat,” she said without thinking. At his very amused look she realized what she said, instantly flushing a brilliant red that disappeared under the collar of her shirt, leaving the demon lord to wonder if those soft, pale gifts directly from the Kamis to him were flushed as well. “Don't even think about saying anything,” she said with a low growl rumbling in her throat.
 
“I wouldn't dream of it my sweet little miko.” `But I will think that this Sesshoumaru would not be opposed to such a thing. Besides, my delicious Kagome, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment. You not only look good enough to eat, but in fact are,' he said with a smirk, in her mind. She smacked his shoulder before trying to stand. This time he allowed her to escape his grasp, though he instantly regretted it when the feeling of her warmth pressed against him left with her.
 
“You're too much sometimes,” she said with a laugh.
 
“Ah, but there I must disagree. This Sesshoumaru would like to believe he is exactly the right amount. Anything more would be a waste, though only time will tell now won't it my love?” The last part of his statement was accompanied with the lift of a silver brow as he made his insinuation that caused her to blush again. She really was just too easy sometimes. And so fun to play with, too. He rose beside her and bent to pick up the earlier discarded box and replace the removed floorboard. He handed her the box before wrapping an arm around her waist and guiding her out of the small structure, turning to close the door without having to let go of her, which was something that made him extremely pleased. He had two arms now and he intended to make good use of them every single day. He was well aware of how difficult it was to be without one, as well as just how blessed he was to have it returned, not because she didn't want him without it, but because she wanted only for him to be happy. He couldn't have found a better woman if he had her custom made to his exact specifications. There was not a single thing he would change about her. She was absolute perfection just as she was.
 
Kagome noticed the distracted look in her demon lord's eyes as he walked alongside her and wondered just what he was thinking about. As they reached the kitchen door she shrugged her shoulders before opening the door. Now it was her leading him, as she guided his distracted form through the door, before looking up to see the odd half smile that graced his beautiful face. She reached her free hand up, gently tracing the lines on his cheek, her touch drawing his attention. It was then that he realized they were already in the house. Since when did he get so engrossed in his own thoughts that he lost all knowledge of his surroundings? He would have to make sure it didn't happen again. Here it wasn't as troublesome, but in his time danger lurked in every shadow and he refused to allow anything to happen to her because he wasn't paying attention.
 
He looked down into her eyes and they both stood frozen, locked in their gaze, their eyes saying more than any words could. If he wasn't paying attention, she was. They were a team. He wasn't alone anymore, wasn't the only one he could rely on. Now he had her, his earthbound angel, to guide his steps and watch his back while he did the same for her. He had never experienced such a feeling before, of having such absolute trust in another. He felt another heavy weight lift from his shoulders. Even as a human she was not a weakness, she was the very source of and reason for his strength and determination. As the most powerful miko that he'd ever known, she could hold her own; defend herself and their children and even him if she found it necessary. Their children… it sounded so… so… it was something he had never expected to be able to say, our children. He wondered what they would look like, the children they made together.
 
A soft chuckle drew him from his thoughts, causing both he and Kagome to turn to look at the source. “I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt. You two just looked so… you know, Kagome, your father used to look at me like that. Just like your demon lord looks at you. I made breakfast but I don't know what you like, Sesshoumaru. All Inuyasha ever wants is ramen but I don't imagine you would be the same.”
 
“This Sesshoumaru is fine, though I appreciate the thought. I do not need to eat while here.”
 
“No! No, you're going to eat. We're just going to have to go to the store and find something you like,” Kagome nearly demanded. `I can't have you going weak on me, now can I? A demon cannot live on miko alone.'
 
She laughed as his eyes widened at her boldness. When she got more secure in their physical relationship she was going to give him a run for his money, he was certain. He knew that she would be able to make him weak, just as easily as he could her, and he would love every second of it. His Kagome would be a never ending adventure, no matter how long they lived. Even if they lived straight into eternity, he knew she would still find ways to surprise him.
 
`What's wrong with my big bad demon, huh? Hungry again already?' He was about two seconds from throwing her over his shoulder and taking the flight of stairs in one running leap; but she ruined his plans when she sat at the kitchen table with a plate of more odd food in front of her. “Sit down, Sesshoumaru. You can at least give it a try `til we can get something you like.”
 
“Hn,” was all he said aloud before sitting at her side. `You already have what this Sesshoumaru likes. If you keep teasing I will be forced to physically remove you to your room whether you like it or not.'
 
“Oh, really?” she asked with a raised brow, looking very much like she was posing a challenge, one he would be happy to take her up on. “Here, try this,” she said while lifting an odd, unidentifiable piece of food dripping a sticky sweet substance he had watched her pour on several large circular… things that were stacked on her plate. There was a larger stack sitting in the middle of the table. Sure, it smelled good, but his mind was elsewhere. When he opened his mouth to protest, she took advantage by popping the waiting morsel in. He glared at her for a second before chewing and finding it was really fairly good tasting, especially the sticky liquid that filled an odd shaped bottle on the table. She knew he liked it just by the look on his face. “It's called a pancake. And that,” she said, pointing to the bottle, “is maple syrup. Mom makes the best pancakes ever. Now, do you want a plate of your own?” She held back the smug response that was begging to sneak out when he merely nodded. He watched as she piled three of these strange flat cakes on a dish before squeezing syrup over the stack and set it down in front of him. It was then he noticed the strange utensils. In place of the normal chopsticks was an oddly shaped tined piece of metal. “It's a fork,” she informed. “Just watch.” He did, watching closely as she used the side of the `fork' to cut the pancakes before stabbing a piece and bringing it to her mouth. “See? Easy.”
 
Hiromi smiled as she busied herself cleaning up the mess left behind from making pancakes from scratch. It was so cute how she tricked him into trying it. And it was even cuter when he had to admit he liked it so she would give him some. Her petite teenage daughter had this tall, muscular, centuries old inu wrapped around her little pinkie. There was no doubt in Hiromi's mind that Kagome would want for nothing with this demon so devoted to her happiness. She wondered if he even realized just how obvious it was that Kagome would always win if what she wanted held even the smallest hint of making her smile. The great and ruthless demon lord was being domesticated by a little miko from the future.
 
Gramps came down just a few minutes later and was surprised to find a half-dressed taiyoukai sitting at the kitchen table, eating pancakes with a fork as if he'd been doing it his whole life. `At least he isn't slow,' he thought to himself before laughing aloud, drawing the attention of the others in the room. He just shook his head and took a seat opposite their current houseguest. “So, this is the Great Lord Sesshoumaru?”
 
Kagome looked up from her food, surprised. “Oh, I'm sorry Gramps! I forgot I didn't get to introduce you to him yesterday. Grandpa, this is Lord Sesshoumaru, Taiyoukai and Lord of the Western Lands, Inuyasha's older half-brother.”
 
“And her boyfriend!” Souta added as he sauntered into the room rubbing the sleep from his eyes.
 
“Souta!”
 
“What? Didn't you officially declare him your boyfriend yesterday, since you couldn't tell your friends that he's your fiancé?”
 
The growl that rumbled through the room caused everyone to look at Sesshoumaru, except for Kagome who was glaring at Souta, and Sesshoumaru himself who was looking at Kagome, momentarily concerned that she might just fly over the table and strangle the boy. “Souta, why can't you ever keep your mouth shut? Fuck! Could I at least introduce him before you announce everything? Besides, he's not really my fiancé.” Her mother and grandfather looked at her in shock at the word they had never before heard from Kagome's lips. Maybe she was spending too much time with the foul mouthed Inuyasha.
 
“But didn't he say that you're his…” Souta's words were cut off by an even more vicious sounding growl.
 
“Little boy, I suggest you shut your mouth or start running,” Kagome nearly snarled.
 
Souta's eyes widened as he realized that it was his sister doing the growling and immediately raised his hands in a sign of surrender. He watched her closely, her body tense, her bangs hiding her eyes from view. Sesshoumaru merely reached over and placed his hand on her lower back and her muscles relaxed.
 
“Souta, can I please speak with you in the living room?” Kagome asked in an overly sweet voice. He didn't want to go. He didn't know what she was going to do and that last snarl had nearly made him wet his pants. Seeing his hesitation, Kagome continued. “I won't hurt you. There is just something I need to explain to you for a moment.” She stood and left the kitchen and Souta looked from face to face, his eyes begging for an excuse not to go.
 
Sesshoumaru took pity on the boy. “It will be fine. She is no longer angry.”
 
“But how can you be so su…”
 
“This Sesshoumaru is privy to her every emotion. She is not angry, I promise you.” Souta didn't look convinced but he went anyway, moving as slowly as he could in an attempt to delay the inevitable. Of course, Sesshoumaru didn't think about it until it was already done. He had just been left alone with the two people he needed to speak with before he was ready or had any idea what to say. He was rescued when the old man laughed aloud.
 
“Souta's just never going to learn not to push her, is he? Never been a patient girl. I assume the growling has something to do with the amount of your youki she holds?” He took in Sesshoumaru's surprised look. “While this old man can't wield holy powers, I am not blind. She nearly overflows with it, making it impossible to miss.” Sesshoumaru turned and looked at Kagome's mother who only nodded her agreement. “She holds a great deal more than she did the last time she came home.”
 
It was then that Sesshoumaru realized that when she had been poisoned, in his attempt to save her life, he had given her more of his youki and had never thought to extract it. He was surprised that she'd managed to hold on to it; not to mention that her miko energies for some reason didn't see it as a threat and try to remove it from her body.
 
“A bit of your blood as well, if I'm not mistaken,” Hiromi added. “It's nothing to worry about. She is meant to hold your energy, just as you will come to hold hers. It will not harm her. Though it is getting things moving along a bit earlier than I had expected.” At his furrowed brow she backtracked. “I mean, it seems to be allowing her to pick up some of your traits. Would you like some juice, Sesshoumaru?” He shook his head, still curious about what she'd meant. “Oh, well then how about some milk or water? You must be thirsty.” At his look, she gave it her all. “Is there something you would like to talk to us about, Sesshoumaru? Maybe something you would like to ask?” Her question received its intended response as he just about shut down, shaking his head and willing her to not continue.
 
The wrinkled old man across from him merely laughed. “Never woulda thought a great taiyoukai would be afraid to ask a simple question. Oh well, when you're ready then,” he said before getting up to make sure Souta wasn't turning blue while Kagome wrung his neck.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
When Souta had entered the room, Kagome caught hold of his shirt and dragged him to the far side of the living room before talking in a low voice. “Souta! Sesshoumaru intends to ask them for their permission to court me. You most definitely are not helping things! It wouldn't look very good if it was announced that I was his mate to be before he even got a chance to ask, now would it?” Souta's eyes widened in understanding and his shoulders sagged in relief. She wasn't going to kill him, at least not this time.
 
“If Mama knows you're seeing him and let him sleep in your room then I don't think she has an objection. And you know Gramps only cares about you being happy. Why is he worried about it? It's not like they're gonna tell him no and throw him out.”
 
“Do you think he'd believe me if I told him that? I'm not even supposed to know that he's going to ask them. That's why he hasn't officially asked me.”
 
“How do you know then?”
 
“I happen to know several demons who understand mating traditions. And, Sesshoumaru is definitely the type to follow tradition by the letter. He's also been really tense since we got here. He's nervous.”
 
“You want me to talk to him sis? Tell him there's nothing to worry about?”
 
Kagome smiled at her little brother before ruffling his hair. “You know, that might just help. I can't tell him. I don't think I'm supposed to know. That's why you're my favorite little brother.”
 
Souta rolled his eyes at the retreating back of his sister as she returned to the kitchen. “I'm your only little brother,” he mumbled under his breath, having no idea that his sister could hear him perfectly and was grinning at his words.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Author's Notes:
 
Thanks for help with this chapter goes to Iloveprettysilverhair, Coffee Flavored Fate, and my anonymous beta. Thanks to all of you!
 
Today wasn't such a great day. My mother got in a car accident a block from our house on her way to work this morning. She's alright, but the truck in nice and crunched in the front. She went to the ER to make sure everything was okay. No big problems, but as the day wears on she's been getting increasingly sore. I don't know if she'll be able to move her head in the morning. So that's partly the reason why this chapter is up late in the evening. But then I was planning on putting it up tomorrow, so it's actually early!
 
Next chapter contains the much anticipated shower scene, and it's almost done. The end is being a pain.
 
Reviewer Responses:
 
Mediaminer -
 
Treetopscout - I guess I really don't need to tell you how the arms comes back now do I? Hmmm… your mind seems to keep returning to the 6 page shower scene. Looking forward to it perhaps?
 
Imanewme - For just your second attempt at a review I liked this one! I know. I loved the cereal box idea from treetop too! I don't know about me having the most natural suspense writing skills ever, but it is a nice compliment. Hojo's not so much just stupid anymore… I think he's a tad crazy. Glad you didn't lose power. If only we could get a snowstorm down here…even if it only lasts a few days… it would make my last 10 years.
 
Missy71 - glad you're enjoying it and happy holidays to you and yours too!
 
Blueyedtigress - I'm gonna have to start putting your little comments somewhere highly visible. Then I'd never stop laughing. I wonder how long until you run out of accents. Glad you're enjoying the story!
 
Arry - If you thought 59 was hot, just wait til 61. And I hope you liked the arm restoration. Just for you love. Just for you.
 
Sugar0o - I'm glad you like it. I have this feeling I'm not going to be done for a good long time.
 
Meru - Yep, Hojo's a creep, or creepy. And the arm has returned!
 
Syoze - Hojo's delusional. Misaki isn't talking about the arm. If only Kagome had listened to Gramp's story in ch 2. Well, if you won't have internet for a while then you'll have a backlog when you get home. Enjoy more at once.
 
Tixylix - Yep. I had to. Made a promise to a girl… she's so spoiled.
 
Brainshake - That's why no one noticed the missing arm. I have no idea how I would explain that one away. The flashbacks were important for background and such on the inner workings of two characters that haven't been around as much, though Kagura has been more than Myouga. I liked the Myouga thing because it was a different perspective on an early event. They'll happen every now and then as the mood strikes me.
 
Monk-miko - Longtime not type! I hope you did well on all your exams. Kouga's always been oblivious… he'll learn… eventually. Hojo and his delusions. That was fun to write. I actually had to pull up a thesaurus for all the different words for thug and such. Glad you're enjoying. Hopefully I can keep you busy til January.
 
N8tivegurl - I forgot to ask David when he was up what the name of that game is. Psychonauts is cool. I'm like probably more than halfway through, though I haven't played for a long time. Always typing. Nope, Hojo is most definitely not in his right mind. His delusions keep him company since Kagome doesn't want to.
 
Fictionaddiction - great name! Thanks for reviewing. Glad you're enjoying my little addiction.
 
Bettychan - There will definitely be a couple more funny hojo scenes before he is forcibly given a clue. That sounds so poetic, weave a spell-binding tale. Sounds better than writing mid budget style soft core porn. Yeah, I like yours better!
 
Inupriestess - That's cuz ASS is read only for a while so they can upgrade. The new ones will go up as soon as I can get on. Glad you found me over here.
 
FF.net -
 
Sava522 - Glad you think so!
 
Lady Renvel - Oh, if only that would work. I think they'd notice. Hope the surgery goes well, small or not doesn't matter. Ah, guilt trips. Always fun.
 
Iloveprettysilverhair - You know, I've said I have a stummy ache. We're getting creepy.
 
Satsuki - I've always found Hojo creepy. Who's really that nice and not insane? Anyone?
 
DancingDragon - Glad FF obeyed today. Guess what… he's over it. Thanks for reviewing!
 
Mraestlayn - Just Naraku's creepy? I think Hojo's getting kinda scary too. Thanks for all the sweet words.
 
Moonrosesa (sunset love) - Sorry I couldn't meet your deadline. Crazy day, crunched up car, sore mommy, kinds threw me off my game. Together 58 and59 were like 24 pgs. Around 12 each. My margins are different here than in my actual writing in chapter so I'm not sure exactly. The end of 61 is making me a bit cranky but I'll get it. It might end up just being a page shorter than usual, but then it's mostly lime anyway so I think it'd be excusable. The chapters started out at 5 pages each and now I almost always hit 11. Hugs back
 
Ruhtra Nakal - thanks. I'm glad you're enjoying it!
 
Cocoke5 - besides the truck thing we're good. Mom's been feeling better, or she was until this morning. Destiny's fine. Pushy, but fine. When ASS is back up I'll be putting up the missing chapters and then go back to updating them at the same time. AFF might take me a week or two to get all the old chapters up before its even with the others. I'd love to switch places. You can have my 85 degree weather and I'll take your snow.
 
Ginrei - So glad I don't have to stand in line at the PO. When I first opened my business I didn't have a scale, and had to stand in line almost every day, 15 minutes or more during Dec. Now that I shut it I don't even go check the mail. I wait for it to come to me. You may never see your refrigerator again.
Princess Kathleen - not a clue. Not good at riddles. The chapters in the future are gonna be different, and very very limey if my hentai muse has its way.
 
Dee - It's all better now. No tears! Glad you like it!
 
Luna-magic - Wish granted. *Poof!*
 
Chibi strawberry neko - Been trying to find the perfect way to bring the arm back since like ch 10 or so when Arry started begging. At least she promised not to hold her breath!
 
Dreamer1010 - Hope granted as well. *Poof!*
 
Darke wulf - Glad you like it. Hope you enjoyed the arm regrow.
 
Moonlit marauder - Glad you like it. Nope, my mom has to work all the way up to Christmas eve. David (husband) works til the 21 and I think Mike (stepdad) does too. Only do I get to sit home, but then I always do. I have a feeling I won't get a vacation though. I don't think you guys would take it well.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
And now all there is to do is wait for the shower scene. Poor poor readers. I guess I better finish 61 and get to work on 62, eh?