InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ She Who the Prophecy Foretold ❯ To Eat Or Not To Eat, That Is The Question ( Chapter 63 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 63 - To Eat Or Not To Eat, That Is The Question
 
 
He'd seen Kagome look back but had hidden in time, stepping behind the propped open door of another store. Peeking around the edge of his wooden shield he saw that they had slowed and then stopped as they talked. Kagome looked confused as Sesshoumaru handed her the bags and motioned for her to go ahead. He'd only blinked but when he opened his eyes the oversized, tattooed man was gone, as if he'd vanished into thin air. He was just stepping around the door to go and `accidentally bump into' Kagome in the coffee shop she'd entered when he felt something pulling him backwards. No matter how he struggled he could not free himself from whatever or whoever had a hold of him.
 
It hadn't taken Sesshoumaru long to locate the stalker once he knew who he was looking for. He stopped right behind the boy who was peering around a door in an attempt to see Kagome. When he began to step forward the demon lord had merely grasped the collar of his shirt, pulling him along until they were in an alley between stores and a bit back from the sidewalk. He pushed Hojo rather roughly against the brick wall, finding the boy's eyes full of confusion for a moment before they flooded with pure contempt.
 
“Why are you following us?” Sesshoumaru asked, his voice stating clearly `answer or die a painful death at my hands'.
 
Hojo looked into the odd golden eyes of the man who'd been spending too much time with his Kagome. “I am making sure that you don't attack her.”
 
Sesshoumaru's brows furrowed. “Why would this Sesshoumaru attack her?”
 
“Because you are obviously a dangerous individual. I will not entrust her safety to an idiot and a hooligan.”
 
Sesshoumaru growled and Hojo's eyes widened. “Did you just refer to this Sesshoumaru as an idiot?”
 
“Y..yes,” he stuttered before drawing up every ounce of bravery he contained. “Why else would my sweet Kagome spend time with someone like you?”
 
“Someone like me?” he asked with his voice full of warning that Hojo either couldn't hear or refused to heed.
 
“Just look at you! Tattoos on your face! You're obviously in a gang of some sort, or perhaps were before whatever happened to make you so dim. So, was it too much steroids or did you hit your head while out with your gang members and up to no good?”
 
Sesshoumaru had no idea what this boy had just asked him but it was clear that this human had no idea how much danger he was putting himself in by continuing to speak in a derogatory manner to the much larger and much stronger male. “This Sesshoumaru will inform you of this only once. Kagome is not yours. Kagome is mine and mine alone. She is not and has never been interested in you in any capacity greater than a friend. If you continue to pursue her or continue to follow us I will not be so forgiving. Find another female because the one you desire belongs to me, mind, body, and soul.”
 
“Why should I listen to you? Kagome is mine. She has been for years and she always will be. Why would she be interested in a thug? Why would she spend time with you if it was not out of pity? Her heart is too big for her own good and you have simply mistaken her well-intentioned friendship for something more. You are nothing but a fool if you think that Kagome Higurashi would ever be romantically involved with someone of your class and intelligence. You might as well give up and go back to wherever you came from because she will never be yours.” Hojo held his head high as he spoke, not feeling even the slightest hint of fear. This was something that needed to be done. This oversized dolt needed to be put in his place. He couldn't be allowed to continue his pursuit of his sweet, innocent Kagome. He could not be allowed the chance to hurt her, to force him self on her. He, Hojo, would not allow such a travesty to occur.
 
Sesshoumaru had to close his eyes for a moment as he fought to hold back his beast while also fighting back is own desire to kill this insolent fool. How dare he speak in such a manner to him, Lord Sesshoumaru? Only the thought of his promise to Kagome kept him from removing this boy's head from his shoulders. When he was fairly certain he wouldn't melt the offensive human he opened his eyes once again. “You must be the most deluded, foolish, persistent, and oblivious human I have ever had the displeasure of laying eyes on. I will not warn you again. You will stay away or there will be no mercy. She does not want such a puny weak human. She never has and she never will.”
 
Hojo began to shake as he watched the odd golden eyes change slowly to blood red. He had to be imagining things, because if he wasn't then there was no way this… thing… was human. No possible way. Humans didn't have eyes that changed colors. Humans didn't growl or snarl. Humans didn't bare their teeth, showing off impossibly long canines that could only be called fangs. No, he had to be imagining things. It wouldn't be the first time. He closed his eyes tightly as if willing the sight away but when he opened them it remained, still just as horrifyingly inhuman as before.
 
The scent of the human's fear was overwhelming and heavy, hanging in the air around them. “This is your final warning. I can ensure that they never find even the smallest scrap of you. They would never retrieve even the tip of a finger or a lock of hair. You would disappear completely from this world with nearly no effort from myself. If you wish to remain alive then you will stay away from her, from my Kagome. Do you understand me, boy?” Hojo was frozen with fear from the threats from whatever this man really was. He couldn't move. He couldn't blink. He could barely draw in a breath. Sesshoumaru, however, didn't care how frightened the boy was. He demanded an answer. He let out a bone rattling snarl and his hand began to glow bright green with his poison. He allowed it to drip to the ground near the boy's feet, everywhere a drop landed sizzling as the acid burned through the concrete, leaving behind oddly shaped depressions. “Do… you… understand…?”
 
Hojo's body finally allowed him to respond to the fear coursing through him, nodding his head uncontrollably while clenching his eyes shut against the green glow and the sizzling craters, the blood red orbs and the deadly fangs. He could do nothing else but shake in terror. Sesshoumaru glanced down as he caught a whiff of another scent, letting out a noise of disgust as he took a step back. “Pathetic…” he said as he turned and walked away, leaving Hojo to slide down the wall and curl into a ball, not even noticing what had so disgusted the demon lord. In his horror Hojo had pissed his pants.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Before he returned to her side the demon lord made certain his eyes had returned to normal and his poison no longer dripped from the tips of his claws. It would do him no good to draw attention to himself. When he was fully composed once more he walked back out onto the sidewalk and headed to where his miko awaited his return. Opening the door Sesshoumaru found himself swamped with dozens of new scents and his eyes darted around in search of Kagome. He needed to bury his face in her hair and breathe her in to rid himself of the scent of the human boy's fear and bodily fluids as well as the strong aromas of the variety of coffees brewed in the small café. Once he spotted her he made his way past the other customers and slipped into the seat beside her. She sat still, staring into the dark colored, bitter smelling liquid in a cup on the table in front of her. He could feel her worry, knew she was anxious for his return.
 
“Kagome,” he said softly, his hand shooting out to keep the cup from spilling when her entire body jumped in surprise. “Why are you so tense? I have handled the situation.”
 
She looked him over head to toe, almost as if she were checking him for blood to assure herself he hadn't killed the one who followed them. She'd already deduced that it had to be Hojo from the way Sesshoumaru reacted when she said his name. She'd been imagining all the things Sesshoumaru could be doing to the obviously dense boy while she sat a short distance away sipping coffee as if everything were fine. “Was it Hojo?” she asked even though she already knew the answer.
 
“Yes. I have taken care of it. He will not follow us again. Apparently he was under the impression that I was somehow dangerous and that you were at risk while in my presence. He is convinced that you are his. Though I doubt he could be convinced otherwise I do believe he will do his best to avoid any further contact with this Sesshoumaru.”
 
“What did you do?” she asked suspiciously.
 
“I merely frightened the boy. He was not injured, though his trip to his home will be embarrassing.”
 
Kagome's brows furrowed. “And why is that?”
 
Sesshoumaru smirked. “Apparently he was more than adequately frightened as he lost control of his bladder.”
 
Kagome laughed for a second. “You made him pee his pants? Oh Kami, Sesshoumaru. Tell me you didn't do anything that would make him think you were…” She decided to continue in silence. `…not human?' The look in his eyes was answer enough. `Sesshoumaru! What if he tells someone what he saw?'
 
`There is something off with the boy. I do not believe he is in his right mind. There is little chance anyone would believe him.'
 
`You think he's crazy?'
 
`He is certainly not sane,' was his response.
 
“You know, that doesn't really surprise me. He's always seemed rather odd. Well, come on. Let's go to the last store and then we'll head back to the shrine. The girls will be there in an hour and I don't want them to get there before we do.” Sesshoumaru nodded and gathered the bags from their place at her feet, watching her take one last swig from her cup before dropping it into a garbage receptacle as she passed. They left the café and continued down the sidewalk as if nothing had occurred at all.
 
The last stop Kagome wanted to make for the day was the grocery store. She needed to pick up some more supplies, though she'd have to come back another day to stock up on ramen, and most importantly she wanted to find something Sesshoumaru would like to eat. She grabbed a cart on the way in, having him set all the bags in it, and started their trek up and down the aisles. The demon lord was absolutely overwhelmed with all the different scents in the air. He looked at almost every single package, trying to figure out just what kind of food it contained by the picture on the front.
 
After a few aisles, picking up some more chips, jerky, trail mix, and some other well loved `ninja food' items, Kagome decided it was time to ask. `I'm guessing you would prefer meat, raw right?' She immediately noticed how he looked away, not answering. `You do know it doesn't bother me, right? I know you're a demon, a predator. I understand. You don't have to hide it from me.'
 
His arms wrapped around her waist where she stood. “How did this Sesshoumaru get so lucky to have you?”
 
“Hmmm. I don't know. Maybe you were a really good boy in a past life.” She paused for a minute, looking contemplative. “Or maybe it has something to do with saving the life of an adorable little girl, taking care of her and loving her like your own, despite your feelings about her species as a whole. I think that might just be it. Now come with me and we'll check and see what kinds of meat they've got and if anything looks good. ”
 
He pressed a quick kiss to her hair before releasing her and following her down the aisle to the back of the store. She stopped and pointed to a glass case. Underneath it were nicely cut slabs of meat. “Well? Probably not the same as you're used to but it's better than nothing. See anything you like?” He looked closely, reading the little signs identifying the cuts and prices while sniffing the air, trying to catch a whiff of the meat behind glass. He ended up selecting several nice thick steaks, something she called `boneless pork chops', a rack of lamb, and quite a bit of finely sliced meat otherwise intended for fajitas or Philly cheese steak sandwiches, not that he had any idea what either were. She grabbed a couple of packages of bacon, half because it sounded really good and half for him to try. They collected the rest of her desired items before heading to the checkout.
 
Once everything was bagged and paid for they started the walk back to the shrine. Each carried several bags, though Sesshoumaru held anything that was even slightly heavy, leaving Kagome to carry mostly potato chips. She'd complained of course, declaring that she wasn't a weak little human girl, but he merely shrugged and declared that it was his duty as her mate to do such things. She rolled her eyes but gave up the fight. Besides, why should she complain about not having to lug heavy bags all the way up the steep flight of stairs that led to her home? He was a big strong demon. He could handle that and more and she knew it. Just the thought of how strong he was made her body tingle and she found herself once more attempting to force away the images her mind seemed intent to show her.
 
Once they arrived Kagome had him leave the bags from the grocery store on the table before taking the others upstairs to her room. By the time he'd returned most of the bags had disappeared, stored in the corner of the laundry room until she was ready to take them back to the feudal era. His selections were lined up on the counter, wrapped in white butcher paper with little labels stuck on and holding the packages closed.
 
“I didn't know if you'd want to eat now or later. I don't imagine you would enjoy it cold so let me know what you're going to eat today and the rest I'll put in the fridge to keep it from spoiling.”
 
“And where do you intend for this Sesshoumaru to eat? Surely you do not wish for me to sit at the dining room table with your family.”
 
“I hadn't really thought about it, though you're probably right. I don't think Souta could handle it. How about you take what you want upstairs and eat in my room. If you want privacy I can stay down here. We've got about fifteen minutes or so before the girls should be here. I… I don't want you to think you need to hide this from me. If we're going to be together for a long time I am eventually going to have to see you eat. If you want to wait `til they're gone so you have more time I understand. They're probably still cold so we can leave out what you want and let it get closer to room temperature.”
 
He watched as she rambled, knowing that she was unsure of how to handle the situation. Honestly, so was he. He didn't want her to watching him eat and be disgusted but at the same time he couldn't very well hide it from her every single time he ate for the rest of their lives. Of course she didn't think it would bother her but she couldn't be certain… not until she'd actually watched. “This Sesshoumaru will eat in your room if you are certain it will not be a problem.”
 
“It's fine. What do you want? Do you… do you cut it up somehow or do you just…?”
 
“I would generally cut the meat into thin strips. It is easier and much less messy.”
 
“I can imagine. Otherwise you'd end up with blood on your pristine white clothes,” she said with a smile. She watched as he walked up to the counter and looked at the packages. He unwrapped one of the larger ones that contained several steaks as she pulled a wooden cutting board out from a cupboard below the counter. “Put what you want on here. That way you can cut it without any trouble. I don't suppose you need a knife?”
 
He smirked at her. “My claws are sharper than any knife you could find.”
 
“And yet they have never cut me. How is that?” It was something she'd wondered every now and then. If they were so deadly sharp, which she knew they were as she'd used them to cut her arm during her miko powers test with the pups, then how did she never receive even the slightest of wounds when they trailed over her skin?
 
“This Sesshoumaru is careful not to cause you harm. Pain would be the exact opposite of what I am trying to make you feel when I touch you.” He smirked at her before picking up one of the steaks and laying it on the wooden surface before starting to rewrap the others. Kagome stopped him, sliding it towards her and wrapping it back up before pushing it to the side. He opened the next package and removed a small slab of pork, this time just sliding the open package towards her.
 
“Going for a little of everything?”
 
“This Sesshoumaru has never eaten meat like this before.”
 
“It's alright with me. Your food anyway. Are you gonna slice off some of the lamb too?” He nodded as he unwrapped the large rack of lamb and used a claw to slice off a section. He slid that package as well as the one containing the thin slices towards her and watched as she rewrapped the ones he'd opened and placed them all in the thing she'd referred to as the `fridge'. She had explained to him the basic idea and he had to admit that it was quite an innovation, a way to keep food from spoiling by keeping it cold. He was secretly impressed with all the progress that humans made during just five hundred years. Obviously humans increased in intelligence as time passed because he was certain that no human from his time would even come close to grasping the concept.
 
“So do you want me to stay down here while you eat or is it alright if I'm in there with you?”
 
He looked at her with concern. “I do not wish for you to think less of me, or to see me as nothing more than a wild animal.”
 
“Sesshoumaru, I know there's an animal in you. I know you have your primal demonic side. I've seen him, been touched by him, and held and kissed by him. But you also have your civilized side. They are both still you, still my Sesshoumaru. I accept them both. I love them both and any combination in between. If this bothered me then it wouldn't bode well for our future together. It doesn't. But I understand your hesitance. If it will make you more comfortable I can stay down here.”
 
“You will not think less of me?” he asked with worry in his eyes. Saying it now was one thing but seeing it and still feeling that way was entirely another. Her words made his heart swell. She loved his beast just as much as she loved his civilized side. And both sides of him loved her with their entire being. Not even most demon couples could honestly say that. But that could not keep the fear of her rejection away.
 
“No, Sesshoumaru. I could never think less of you.”
 
“Then you may accompany me if you wish.”
 
“Good. I need to brush my hair and get things ready for when Yuka, Eri, and Ayumi get here. Come on,” she said while motioning for him to follow. He picked up the wooden board that held his meal and followed her up the stairs. “What are you planning on doing while we're studying?”
 
He hadn't thought much about it. He had things he needed to speak with her mother and grandfather about… important things. He still wasn't sure how to ask. It was so unlike him to fear something so greatly. He didn't even know why he worried. If she was truly destined for him then there should be no problem and they would immediately approve. He knew she was made for him but he couldn't get rid of that little worry that had wiggled its way into his mind. What would happen if they denied his request? Would Kagome follow their wishes? Shoving the insecurities away he entered her room, closing the door behind him. “Do you require privacy? If you wish for this Sesshoumaru to be elsewhere I will understand. What would you prefer?”
 
“Do you want to sit on the bed or at the desk or…?” she trailed off as he sat against her door, one knee raised and his other leg stretched out in front of him, the cutting board resting on his upper thigh. “It doesn't matter to me whether you're in here or not, though they may find you a distraction.”
 
“Then this Sesshoumaru will remain if you do not mind.”
 
“Fine with me. I don't like it when you're not close enough to touch.”
 
He smirked at her while slicing the slabs of meat into thin strips with a claw. “My sentiments exactly.” He watched her as she brushed her beautiful midnight black hair, the sunlight reflecting and creating the illusion of blue streaks. She pulled out a small band and put her hair up in a high ponytail to keep it out of her eyes while she studied. She wasn't making an obvious effort not to look at him but she also wasn't staring either. She'd glance at him and smile every now and then as she shifted her papers and books around, getting everything ready for the arrival of her friends. He figured it was now or never and lifted a strip of beef to his mouth, taking a bite, his sharp incisors and canines tearing the raw flesh easily.
 
Kagome sat on the edge of the bed and removed her shoes. They were too difficult to slip off as she entered the house and had forgotten about them as she put away their purchases. She replaced them in her closet, on the way seeing him watching her intently with a strip of red meat between his fingers, frozen on the way to his mouth. Shaking her head gently she crouched at his feet, looking him right in the eyes. “Let's just get this over with so you can relax and believe me when I say this doesn't bother me. Go on. Eat it.”
 
He hesitated for a moment before taking another bite of the strip he held, watching her eyes carefully for any signs of disgust, the discovery of which would have broken his heart. He saw no change as she stayed silent, merely watching him eat. He finished the piece he held and then went for broke, picking up a section of lamb by the protruding bone and taking a bite in a similar fashion as one would bite into a leg of fried chicken. Still she showed no signs of discomfort.
 
“Believe me now?” She watched his eyes, seeing the relief in them clearly. “Good. So, do you want me to take of your shoes and socks since we're at home? You'd probably be more comfortable.” He nodded at her and she immediately started untying the laces before slipping the odd futuristic shoes from his feet then removing his socks as well. He took another bite and tensed as he felt a bit of blood roll from his lips towards his chin. “You missed some.” She leaned forward and used her thumb to wipe up the small mess before holding it in front of his lips. Still keeping his eyes on her he pulled her thumb into his mouth, using his tongue to clean her digit of all traces of blood. When he released her thumb she smiled and rose, tossing his socks in the hamper and placing his shoes in the bottom of the closet next to her own.
 
“This really does not bother you,” he stated, though it sounded more like a surprised declaration or a question.
 
“Why should it bother me? You need to eat. That's what you prefer to eat. I certainly am not going to expect you to go hungry or hide in the forest while you eat. I love you. This is just another part of you.”
 
He looked up at her in wonder. “You really are an amazing woman. Every single day you surprise me with something wonderful and new.”
 
She blushed at his words and turned away, glancing out the window to the courtyard below. “You might want to hurry a bit. They're coming up the stairs. If you move away from the door I can go down and stall them for a few minutes. Just shove the board under the bed, okay?” He nodded as he stood, setting the cutting board on her dresser and picking up another slice. The red meat was half-way in his mouth when she leaned up and kissed his cheek before walking out the door and closing it behind her once more. He could hear her walking down the steps and going out the front door to greet her friends. In just a few minutes he was finished and slipped the board far enough under her bed that it wouldn't be seen unless someone was sitting on the floor and looking.
 
Glancing around the room he noticed mokomoko still lying on her bed, though it was now on top of the blankets as the bed had been made, by her mother from the residual scent in the room. He really didn't like leaving it here while they left the grounds but there wasn't much choice. Though he'd seen a wide variety of clothes today during their outing he'd not seen anything even remotely similar to how he or Kagome would look draped in ivory fur. `If only it wasn't quite so large.' When that thought entered his mind he nearly slapped himself. He could make mokomoko longer, so why couldn't he make it smaller? He hadn't even considered the option as he'd never before seen cause to do so. Wouldn't she be surprised when she saw a miniature mokomoko? He decided he would worry about it later when he heard them enter the house. He situated himself comfortably on her bed with a book, opening it randomly so it would appear that he was not merely waiting for them.
 
Kagome had kept them outside for as long as she could before she could come up with no more excuses. Instead she led them into the kitchen to grab some drinks and snacks before finally heading up the stairs. She only hoped that she'd given him enough time. As she approached the door she asked him silently if he was ready for them to come in. When he answered positively she opened the door and smirked at the sight of him sitting on her bed with a book in his lap `reading'. He looked up as they entered, finding it difficult not to laugh at the pleasantly surprised smiles on the faces of Kagome's friends. Apparently they were not at all bothered by his presence. “Alright, so we're gonna go over government first and then review science some more, right?” the other girls nodded, all still standing as if unsure whether they could sit on the bed with him or not. Kagome knew exactly what they were thinking from watching their eyes, flicking back and forth from her demon lord and her self. Setting her drink and snack of choice on the floor beside the bed she hopped onto the mattress and sat beside Sesshoumaru at the head of the bed, her government book and notes spread before her. “Well, are you guys gonna stand there all day and stare at Sesshoumaru or are you gonna sit down?” Kagome laughed as they all blushed. “I know he's hard to keep your eyes off of but finals start day after tomorrow,” she said in a playful tone.
 
“We weren't… I mean I wasn't sure… Really, I didn't mean to…” all three girls stuttered out their excuses before piling onto the bed, sitting side by side along the footboard.
 
He couldn't help himself. It was just too funny. “If you find this Sesshoumaru so distracting perhaps I should leave you girls to study?” he asked in his low sexy voice. Immediately they were sputtering in an attempt to have him stay. `Apparently you were correct in your assumption that this Sesshoumaru would serve as a distraction if present.'
 
`Yeah well that doesn't mean you need to leave. They'll calm down in a minute. I don't think they've ever seen someone quite so sexy as you up close.' She watched as he smirked at her words, the movement of his lips causing three unintentional gasps at the beauty his face held when he smiled, even if it was a devious smirk. They didn't know the difference.
 
“We're sorry, really we are. We're just curious about you. Kagome's never mentioned you before yesterday,” Eri offered as an excuse for their behavior.
 
“Would it make things easier if you asked your questions of me now so that you may concentrate later?”
 
Kagome looked over at him. `Are you sure you want to let them ask you questions? What if you don't know how to answer?'
 
`Then you will tell me. I did hear every word of your discussion yesterday afternoon so I will not contradict your previous statements.'
 
`I knew you heard. You weren't ever gonna tell me that were you?'
 
`Only if the need arose.'
 
Kagome looked at her very excited friends who were giving her their best puppy dog eyes, though Kagome had certainly seen better, and on real inus no less. “It's fine with me. Go ahead,” she paused and all three mouths opened to speak at once. “but… not like yesterday. One at a time.”
 
The three girls looked back and forth amongst each other in an attempt to silently decide who would go first. Apparently Yuka was given the honor. “What are your intentions with our Kagome?” she asked, politely but with an undertone that demanded an answer. Kagome gaped at her friend in surprise, unable to believe that she'd really just asked that.
 
Sesshoumaru was unfazed. Well, besides the fact that yet another person was referring to Kagome as theirs he was unfazed. Really, where did all these people get the idea that Kagome was theirs? He turned and looked at the young woman in question before looking Yuka directly in the eyes. “I am in love with my Kagome,” he paused for a moment, making sure he was going to use the right words. “And I intend to make her my wife in the future, when she has finished school and is ready for such a commitment.” He could feel Kagome's embarrassment and looked over at her once more, seeing the blush creep into her cheeks. All three girls at the other end of the bed let out an `Awwww' at his romantic statement.
 
“Kagome? Are you gonna marry him?” Eri asked excitedly, as if he wasn't sitting right there. Kagome blushed harder but nodded her head, causing a real smile to creep across the demon lord's face. Neither was quite ready for the eruption of excited squeals, both wincing as the high pitched sound left their ears ringing.
 
“So what's with the tattoos? Kagome said they were a family thing. Did they hurt?” Ayumi asked in a shy voice.
 
“They are a symbol of my ancestry. My father bore these marks before me and my younger brother will have them as well.”
 
“Yeah, when we saw him he didn't have any marks,” Yuka interrupted.
 
“He was not yet ready. And no, they did not hurt.”
 
Kagome winced internally. `Sesshoumaru, tattoos hurt, or at least sting!'
 
Immediately rectifying his error he added, “…though it was not a comfortable experience either.”
 
“Where are you from? How come we've never seen you around before and have only seen Inuyasha like twice?”
 
Sesshoumaru waited for Kagome to come up with something, and she did not let him down. `Say you've been away at boarding school, Inuyasha too, and that you rarely have time to visit.'
 
“Both my younger brother and I have been away at…” he paused for a second at the unfamiliar word, “…boarding school. Very rarely do we have time to visit, especially since we have no family remaining. Kagome and her family are the only people we have to visit.”
 
“But Kagome said you were nineteen! Shouldn't you be done with school?”
 
Once again Kagome had an explanation for him. “The school offers advanced classes in business that I enrolled in to remain close to my little brother.” Once again there was a chorus of `Awww'.
 
“Doesn't it bother you that Kagome had feelings for your brother first?” Both Eri and Ayumi smacked Yuka's arms for asking such a question.
 
“While I never understood her patience with him, her friendship and support has helped Inuyasha in so many ways that I would never wish it otherwise. It took me a while to admit my feelings for her to myself let alone to Kagome. Emotions do not come easily to either my brother or my self and neither of us really knew how to deal with them. Her love for him is the love of a brother and I would never want to break that bond. Her love for him in no way detracts from her love for me so no; it does not bother me a bit. Instead it pleases me that she is loved by my family as well as by me.” Kagome was near tears when he finally stopped talking, and he dragged her into his lap, pressing a tender kiss to her forehead.
 
Silence filled the room for a while before everyone decided Q & A time was over, mostly thanks to Yuka's insensitive inquiry. They girls began their reviewing, Kagome never leaving Sesshoumaru's lap. He sat in silence, his arms wrapped around her waist and his head leaned back against the wall, thinking. He needed to find a way to ask her mother and grandfather for their permission to court her. He wasn't sure how much longer he could go on without beginning the courting steps, without her bearing his courting mark which would keep her off limits to any other demon, making clear to all that she was his intended mate. He also had another thing he wished to speak with her mother about, something that Kagome was not to hear. After a while he decided that now would be an excellent time to speak with them both as Kagome would be distracted and less likely to overhear their conversation. He sat for a while longer, running through his head just what he wished to say, hoping that if he already knew what words to speak it would be easier and he would at the very least appear less nervous. Once he decided that repeating the same thing over and over in his mind would do him no more good he whispered in her ear that he was going to go downstairs for a while.
 
Kagome nodded and slid off his lap to sit in front of him so that once he'd moved off the bed she could scoot back and sit where he had been. When the door closed with him on the other side she found herself feeling incredibly lonely. She felt something move against her and immediately realized it was mokomoko. Knowing that it would probably keep moving to wrap around her as it usually did if she didn't do something, she picked it up, looping it over her shoulders and snuggling into the soft fur. She felt it tighten minutely in response and she let out a silent sigh of relief once she was sure her friends hadn't noticed its independent movements. She no longer felt quite so alone as the youki filled item surrounded her with the very essence of Sesshoumaru. She noticed her friends' odd looks when they caught sight of her rubbing her cheek along the white boa but merely shrugged. “I was cold,” she lied easily, not bothering to explain where in the hell she'd gotten a giant white fur boa. The other girls just cast confused looks amongst themselves for a moment before moving on, focusing back on the task at hand; making sure Kagome passed the final exams.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Inuyasha was waiting for Kaede to arrive. Once she did he was planning on visiting Kagome's time to pick up some essentials necessary to complete their battle plan. He was hoping to speak to Kagome's mother without either Kagome or Sesshoumaru noticing his presence, though he had to admit to himself that it was unlikely. He was prepared for this as well, having decided just what he would tell them if they saw him there. He was pretty sure they would buy it, and he was certain that Hiromi would happily give him what he needed, even if he told her the truth behind his requests. He'd discovered long ago that the older Higurashi woman had a sense of humor and he guessed she wouldn't be against some fun, especially since she could watch if she wanted through that gazing crystal thing Kagome'd explained to them.
 
He knew Miroku and Sango were suspicious and that he was going to have to fill them in. He only hoped they wouldn't try to stop them. The wolf had been just as irritating to them as he had to Inuyasha and especially Kagome so he suspected they wouldn't object. Sesshoumaru and Kagome, on the other hand, would most certainly object. Though their reasons might be different he was sure their reaction would be the same. But once it was over and done the hanyou had a feeling they would both wish to have seen the end result of some of their planned pranks, which was why he intended to ask Hiromi for the digital camera Kagome had brought with her once before. She'd shown him and Miroku how to use it well enough, and the only thing better than torturing the ever annoying wolf prince was having pictures to prove it… pictures that he could get as many copies of as he wanted… pictures that would last for years and years, even five hundred years if he left prints in the future as well. Kouga would never be able to deny just how good they got him and never be able to forget it either, if the devious hanyou had anything to do with it.
 
 
\-\-\--/-/-/
\-\-\-\-SWtPF-/-/-/-/
\-\-\--/-/-/
 
 
Author's Notes:
 
From now on Reviewer Responses will be posted at my livejournal. I'm going to do it this way because it will keep the chapters neater and keep a more accurate page and word count. I'm also going to put them in alphabetical order by your user names so that it is easier for everyone to find their response. Today's may not go up right away cuz we're getting ready for our Christmas party with the family tomorrow. I wanted to get the chapter up so I'm posting before I get a chance to write them.
 
The link is in my profile and also below, but you have to remove the spaces.
 
http :// sunsetmiko . livejournal . com/