InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - Telling Mom ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement - Telling Mom
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
“Ahem.”
 
Somewhere in the back of Kagome's mind, it registered on her that Mama was trying to get her attention. Grudgingly, she began the process of climbing out of her InuYasha-induced haze.
 
It was a good thing she had more control than the hanyou. After Naraku's defeat and the shock of the closing of the well, and after the heartbreaking disappearance of her and InuYasha's two closest friends, she had thrown herself into formal miko training. Now, even under InuYasha's most ardent onslaught, her discipline allowed her to keep a small part of herself rational and aware.
 
She opened her eyes a bit and smirked inwardly. “Yup. HE'S still lost in the moment.
 
“Ahem!”
 
Kagome turned her eyes up to see her Mama standing over them. She broke the kiss. “M-Mama?”
 
“It's about time, young lady. I've been trying to get your attention for at least ten minutes now.” Mama had an expression that was a strange mix of exasperation and amusement.
 
“Ten? thought Kagome. She sighed. “I'm sorry, Mama.”
 
“Now, could you please move your hand?”
 
“Huh?” Kagome blushed deeply as she realized where her hand was. So much for staying rational and aware. No wonder InuYasha was out of it! She quickly moved and straightened out InuYasha's clothing where she had been reaching inside. “Sorry, Mama.”
 
“YOU'RE sorry?”
 
Kagome looked at InuYasha and noticed that his golden eyes were focused again. “I can't believe you started that right here where everybody could see us!” Kagome looked up to see that her mother had turned to face the house.
 
“Get away from the window, you two! The show is over!”
 
Kagome blushed as she watched her little brother and ji-chan retreat into the house. “Now look what you've done!”
 
“Feh.”
 
Mama Higurashi turned back to her daughter. “Now,” she smiled, “I suppose you two have something to tell me.
 
“Feh!”
 
Both women looked at InuYasha. The hanyou maintained his usual, semi-pissed off look, although the barest hint of a smile graced his expression. Kagome got the feeling she'd been had.
 
“You did that to force the issue.” she thought to him. “You sneak!”
 
I learned from the best.”
 
“I haven't been kissed like that since your father died.”
 
“Mama?” Kagome attention returned to her mother, and she noticed that Mama was touching her own lips. Her smile showed the memory was a fond one.
 
“It was shortly after your father kissed me that way that you were conceived.” Mama looked piercingly into Kagome's eyes. “Now, what's going on with you two?”
 
“Keh! She's my…”
 
Kagome slapped one hand over InuYasha's mouth. “…fiancé.” She looked down. “I'm sorry we didn't tell you before, but InuYasha and I are engaged.”
 
Mama blinked once, twice. “Engaged?”
 
“Hai.”
 
“Feh. I told you she wouldn't like it.”
 
“Whydidn'tyoutellmebefore?” Both Kagome and InuYasha found themselves swept up into Mama's arms. “How long have you been engaged? Have you set a date? WhenamIgettinggrandchildren?”
 
“It was kind of a secret, Mama.”
 
Mama paused to catch her breath. “Of course! Of course! That's why you didn't tell me before. Howlonghaveyoubeenengagedagain? Oh, never mind! I have to get bridal catalogues!”
 
“Mama?” Kagome and InuYasha watched as Mama Higurashi dashed into the house, followed by the slam of the door. They heard yelling - “They're engaged! Kagome's engaged!” - followed by the sound of the front door slamming, followed a minute later by the sound of Mama's car driving off for a bridal shop, Kagome supposed.
 
“Oi. Your mother can move pretty fast when she wants to.”
 
“And you thought she wouldn't take it well.”
 
“Keh.”
 
 
 
******************
 
 
For one of the few times Kagome remembered, her mother had ordered supper delivered instead of cooking. Now boxes of half-eaten pizza shared the table with bridal catalogues.
 
InuYasha had discovered that he liked pizza almost as much as ramen, although he didn't like the spicier toppings much. In any case, he had definitely eaten too much too fast…which had led to the second mini-emergency of the evening.
 
The first had been the hanyou's serious indigestion.
 
The second had been when the impatient hanyou had snatched the Alka-Seltzer tablets out of her hand, swallowed them and chased them with the glass of water she had been holding.
 
The tablets had lodged in InuYasha's throat until the water hit them. That's when they started to foam. That's when Kagome's ji-chan came in.
 
“Rabies!”
 
Of course, InuYasha couldn't speak quite yet.
 
“Demon, begone!” Kagome's grandfather was busily plastering InuYasha with every sutra he could get his hands on.
 
 
******************
 
 
It had taken Kagome a minute to quiet her ji-chan, but eventually she had accomplished it. Now the old man sat on one end of the living room sofa while InuYasha sat on the other, still foaming slightly.
 
“Doesn't this one look nice, Kagome?
 
“I guess…”
 
“Brrrraaaacckkkkkk!”
 
“InuYasha!”
 
“I can't help it. You could have said you had to put it in water first.”
 
“You didn't give me time!”
 
“You could have told me how spicy the pizza was!”
 
Kagome sighed. “You're right, InuYasha. I could have told you.”
 
“Feh!”
 
“Come on, dear,” said Mama, trying to defusethe situation. “Let's keep looking. Have you decided on western style or tradit…?”
 
“Brrrraaaacckkkkkk!”
 
Both women turned. “InuYasha!”
 
“Okay, okay! I'm going to our room.” The hanyou stood up and rushed out of the living room and up the steps.
 
A moment later, a door closed, followed by a somewhat muffled “brrrraaaacckkkkkk!”
 
Kagome giggled. Then both women shrugged and turned back to the catalogues.
 
 
******************
 
 
Up in Kagome's room, InuYasha rested on Kagome's bed. “Our bed,” he thought. “It SHOULD be our bed.” He closed his eyes and imagined what he'd like to be doing to the delectable little miko. “But no. She doesn't want to shock her mother.” He could understand that, but it made it hard on him. He snorted and looked down over his own body. “Literally.” He snorted. “Well, I'll show her!”
 
InuYasha began stroking the mark on his neck.
 
 
******************
 
 
Meanwhile, Kagome and her mother, somewhat under the influence of Kagome's ji-chan, had picked out a traditional shiro-maku, together with an uchikake to be worn over the shiro-maku at the reception.
 
Since this tradition reached back to the 14th century, Kagome knew InuYasha would be familiar and comfortable with it…as comfortable as he could be with a ningen ceremony, anyway.
 
Next they looked at traditional wedding hoods. Kagome groaned at the thought of wearing one, but giggled when she realized the literal meaning of the name. Tsuno-kakushi meant "to hide horns” and the wearing of one during the ceremony indicated that she would carry out her role as a wife with patience and serenity.
 
“Patience and serenity, my……what was that?” Her neck had begun to tingle and she knew immediately what it was. “Oh no you don't.” InuYasha wasn't going to pull that on her!
 
“Kagome? Are you okay?”
 
“Yes, Mama. It's nothing.”
 
“Good. Of course you'll have your hair styled in the traditional bunkin-takashimada, but we can pick out the kanzashi ornaments, combs and accessories later.” Mama Higurashi looked worriedly at her daughter, whose breathing had gotten ragged and who had begun to sweat profusely. “Are you sure you're okay, Kagome?”
 
“Ha-Hai, Mama.” Kagome glanced towards the stairs. “That bastard!” She began squirming in her chair.
 
Mama was a little worried about her daughter. It was a cool night. Why was she sweating so much? But her daughter had insisted that she was alright, so she continued. “I assume you will also have the traditional wedding accessories…to bring good luck. You will need a hakoseko and a kaiken.”
 
“My own little sword,” thought Kagome as she glanced towards the stairs again. “I could use it about now. I wonder if it would grow back if I cut it off.”
 
The sensations from upstairs disappeared suddenly. She supposed InuYasha had gotten the message.
 
But then it started again and she gasped at the sudden onslaught.
 
“Kagome?”
 
“I have to go upstairs, Mama.”
 
That reminded Mama Higurashi of something InuYasha had said earlier. “Kagome? Why did InuYasha refer to your room as `our room?' You aren't sleeping with him, are you?”
 
Kagome blushed furiously. At least her grandfather had fallen asleep on the sofa so she didn't have to face him, too. “Ummmm.”
 
“Never mind, dear. I can see it in your face.”
 
“Mama.”
 
“It's…okay. Your father and I couldn't wait, either.”
 
“Mama!”
 
“…although I was eighteen.” Mama dabbed at her eyes. “Are you sure, Kagome? You're only sixteen!”
 
“No. No, I'm not,” thought Kagome. “I wouldn't do anything to dishonor you, Mama. I'll make InuYasha sleep on the sofa if you want me to…but you'll have to get grandpa to move.”
 
“Let him sleep.” Mama smiled. “Just no grandchildren till after your married.”
 
“Okay, Mama.” Kagome winced internally.
 
“Then…plenty.”
 
“If you only knew, Mama.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Kagome almost slammed the door behind her. “Bastard!”
 
“Oi. It got you up here, didn't it?”
 
“You were enjoying tormenting me.”
 
“Torment. Is that what you call it?”
 
“Yeah!”
 
InuYasha noticed that although Kagome seemed angry, she was rapidly stripping in front of him. He took the hint and removed the rest of his clothes. “Don't you think it was torture for me…having to sleep outside in the Goshinboku?”
 
“It was only one night!”
 
“It would have been more.” InuYasha noticed flecks of red in Kagome's eyes. “You seem rather worked up, yourself.”
 
“YOU do this to me!” With superhuman strength, Kagome forced him down on the bed. “Mate!”
 
“Now, now. What happened to that miko control you're so proud of?”
 
Kagome noticed that her aggressive approach was having the usual effect on InuYasha. She straddled him and impaled herself in one quick move. “I'll show you control.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Mama sat in the kitchen, sipping a cup of tea and listening perforce to all the noise coming from her daughter's room. “They are engaged, after all.” There was a very long series of very loud thumps. “I hope you're okay, Kagome. There were moans and groans, followed by a long howl that sounded like a dog howling at the moon. “She's only sixteen, InuYasha!” But that howl had sounded more…female.
 
Female?
 
The noise died down after that, so she put her cup in the sink and started up the stairs…but then the noise from Kagome's room started again. “So soon?” She had hoped to get to bed and to sleep before they started again. With a sigh, she turned around and headed back downstairs. She hoped Sota would stay in his room and sleep through it all. Kagome's ji-chan was snoring away on the sofa. At least there was a recliner she could sleep on in the living room.
 
She got a blanket out of the closet, snuck the TV remote out of the old man's hand and settled down into the recliner.
 
Stepping through the channels, she finally found one that showed adult films. She sighed. Normally, she didn't watch something like this, but at least she could pretend she was watching the movie instead of listening to her daughter's passionate lovemaking. She turned the sound up a bit to mask the noise from upstairs and drifted off to sleep.
 
“And it's a school night, too.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Sota got up from his bed and turned off his alarm clock. He had learned a long time ago that if he didn't put the clock across the room, he would turn off the alarm and drift off again.
 
He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. He couldn't figure out why, but all night he had dreamed of men and women wrestling together, which was silly `cause men wrestled men, and women wrestled women, but men never wrestled women.
 
He padded down the hall, stopping at his sister's door. Locked. He pounded on the door. “Time to get up for school, sis!”
 
“Oi! Shut up, runt!”
 
Wait. Wasn't that…InuYasha? He shrugged. They must not be fighting anymore.
 
He padded on past his mother's room. The door was open and no one was inside, so Mama must be downstairs. As he proceeded down the steps, he could hear the TV, but what was Mama watching?
 
He found her on the recliner, under a blanket. It looked like someone had slept on the sofa, but they were gone now. He glanced at the TV for a long moment. There was a naked man and a naked woman, and it looked like they were wrestling. He shook Mama's arm.
 
“Huh? Oh, it's you, Sota dear.”
 
“Mama? Are those people wrestling?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Who's winning?
 
<CLICK>
 
 
 
A/N: Thank you for the kind reviews of the first chapter. I will answer questions privately if you email me with them.
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.