InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - Guess Who's Coming...After Dinner ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
Guess Who's Coming…After Dinner
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
The oden was simmering on the stove while Mama Higurashi and Rin sipped their cups of tea at the kitchen table. So far, they had both made it a point not to comment on the noise from Kagome's room.
 
“All night long…and now this.”
 
“What was that, Mrs. Higurashi?” asked Rin.
 
“Nothing.”
 
Rin was doing her best not to giggle. To those who knew about it, Kagome's “appetite” had become legend.
 
The miko was a walking contradiction. Rin remembered the girl as she first knew her: a vulnerable adolescent who obviously loved InuYasha, but would have been horribly embarrassed if the hanyou kissed her and would have been mortified if anyone saw him doing it.
 
There was a high-pitched squeal from upstairs and Rin snorted. Fortunately, Mama Higurashi was pretending she hadn't noticed.
 
But that had all changed a little over a week after the defeat of Naraku. First, the well had closed…although, being still a child at the time and not privy to the secret of Kagome's origins, she hadn't understood the significance. Then there was the disappearance of the monk and the taijiya and their youkai companion. The miko was inconsolable and, having lost her own family, Rin understood how Kagome felt. The miko cried so much that InuYasha couldn't stand it.
 
He finally confessed his love for her.
 
Of course Rin hadn't been present for what happened next. Nobody was. But when InuYasha had returned with Kagome several days later, both had Kanji symbols at the bases of their necks and it was clear the two had mated.
 
Sesshoumaru, who had remained at the village following Naraku's defeat. had instructed everyone not to follow his brother and the miko. And when InuYasha and Kagome had finally returned, he had congratulated his brother on performing the most important duty of a head of family: insuring the line.
 
It turned out to be just what Kagome needed: something not to take the place of her friends, but to give her something positive to look forward to and to build her and her mate's life upon. Nine months later, three (in InuYasha's words) “pups” were born. Less than a year later came the first set of twin, a year after that a single birth, and then another set of triplets.
 
By the time Rin was the age Kagome had been when she was pulled into the well, the miko had fourteen children.
 
The odd thing was that while the village girls gradually looked more like, well, mothers, Kagome did not. She still looked sixteen. Within a month of giving birth, her figure would return to its former state…the only difference being that her bosoms would remain full of milk as long as she breastfed.
 
Mating with InuYasha had produced other changes. The hanyou had gained self-control (with the possible exception of a jealous streak in regard to his mate). Indeed, Fluffy said that Kagome was now more of a seal on InuYasha's Youkai blood than Tetsusaiga ever was.
 
It was only when she was older (and mated with Sesshoumaru, which extended her life) that Rin learned the other major effect on Kagome. In retrospect, given the miko's history, they should have known.
 
Kaede had expected Kagome to pick up youkai characteristics, but while she had acquired long life and healed much faster, she didn't pick up youkai hearing or sight or even a stronger sense of smell.
 
Instead, Kagome's sex drive had increased.
 
If InuYasha had become calmer and had gained more self-control, the exact opposite had happened to Kagome. And just as her miko powers got stronger with her emotions, so did her “appetite.”
 
In her pillow-talk with Sesshoumaru, Rin had learned much of what his brother had confided in him…that when Kagome got very excited, flecks of red would appear in her eyes, her strength would increase immeasurably…and that the sex could continue for hours.
 
Apparently, InuYasha had attempted to “tease” Kagome one night and had found himself flat on his back. That was how the first set of twins had come along.
 
Rin finished her tea. Considering the oden would be ready in a few minutes, she hoped the two hadn't lapsed into one of their sessions.
 
Suddently she realized that the noises from upstairs had quieted, so she stood up. “I'll go knock on Kagome's door, Mrs. Higurashi.”
 
“Oh. Oh.” Mrs. Higurashi realized the two of them hadn't talked the whole time and she felt guilty for being a poor hostess. Besides, she had wanted to learn more about this friend of her daughter's. She sighed. It would have to wait for dinner. At least all the noise from upstairs had died down. “Thank you, Rin. That's very nice of you. I'll call Sota and Kagome's ji-chan.”
 
“Right.” While Mama Higurashi exited the house to get the others, Rin dashed upstairs before the amorous couple could start again. She knocked briskly. “Okay, you two. Knock it off! Suppertime!”
 
“Feh! Go away!”
 
There came the slurred voice of the miko. “Sssupper's ready? Come on, InuYasha. We've gotta get dressed.”
 
There was a moment of quiet, followed by Kagome's “Later, damnit!”
 
…followed by the thud of a body hitting the floor.
 
“Feh!”
 
A minute later, the door opened and Kagome emerged. She leaned against the doorway for a moment while she put her shoes on. “How do I look?”
 
“Aside from a bad case of bed head, fine. Wait a second.” Rin looked more closely at Kagome's mouth. “Fangs.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Your fangs are showing.”
 
“Okay. Tell Mama we'll be downstairs as soon as I brush my hair.”
 
“Okay.”
 
Kagome looked back into the room. “Get your clothes on!”
 
 
******************
 
 
Rin garnished her bit of oden with the barest hint of karashi. While she had acquired the same long life and healing abilities Kagome had, her other enhancements did indeed include strongers senses of sight, hearing, smell and…taste. So a little of the strong mustard went a long way. “Yes, it's very good, Mrs. Higurashi.”
 
“Thank you, Rin. I'm glad you like it.”
 
“It's so much better than fish and roasted fern roots.”
 
“Hmmm?”
 
“Oww!”
 
“Is there something wrong?” asked Kagome's ji-chan.
 
“No, no.” Rin rubbed her shins surreptitiously, where Kagome had kicked her. “I've done a lot of primitive camping and had to learn survival skills.”
 
“That's interesting,” replied Mama.
 
“Our Kagome has done a lot of primitive camping, too,” added Kagome's grandfather.
 
“Oi.” InuYasha joined everyone at the table. He didn't understand why Kagome simply didn't tell her mother what was going on, especially with Rin here, but he would play along for now. With a bandana tied securely `round his head, he sat down to eat.
 
“Why the headgear?” asked Rin. She was also playing along with Kagome, but couldn't resist teasing.
 
InuYasha stared at her. “Sometimes I think I liked her better as a little girl.”
 
“InuYasha...” came Kagome's mental retort.
 
“Uhh, it's the food. Kagome's mother doesn't want hair in the food.”
 
“Very good, dog-boy,” thought Rin.
 
“That's very thoughtful of you, InuYasha,” said Mama Higurashi. Although she couldn't remember asking him to wear a bandana for that reason, it did make sense. Wait. InuYasha…doing something logical?” She shook her head, dismissing the thought. She turned to her daughter. “Kagome? You've never told me about Rin. How did you two meet?”
 
“At the school,” said Kagome.
 
“At the park,” said Rin, at the same time.
 
The girls looked at each other.
 
“Okay, Kagome, how are you getting out of this one?” thought Rin. “You're going to have to tell them, eventually. Why not just get it over with now?”
 
“Kagome?” Mama looked confused.
 
“We met on a school field trip to the park. There were kids from several schools there and they had experts demonstrating survival skills. You know, what you can and can't eat.” Kagome looked at Rin as if to say “I know what you're doing and it won't work.”
 
“I see.”
 
Rin smiled. “She said that she and dog-boy, there, would have good use for it all.”
 
“Oh, cool,” said Sota. “I didn't know you had a friend who knew about InuYasha!” Sota picked up a knife. “Have you seen him use his…?”
 
“Sota! Put that down! We do not play with knives!”
 
“No,” said Rin. “I haven't seen InuYasha playing with a butter knife.” She grinned. “To me, he seems more like the type who would swing a great, big sword around…killing monsters and demons.”
 
“Yeah!”
 
“You shouldn't put such ideas in a young boy's head,” said Kagome.
 
“But, Sis!”
 
Rin smiled again. “It's all fantasy, isn't it? Nobody really goes around slaying demons. That's just fairy tale stuff…right, InuYasha?”
 
“Huh?” The hanyou looked up. “Yeah…I guess so.”
 
Rin looked over to Kagome, only to find the miko glaring at her. She had the feeling that she might have gone just a little too far.
 
“I guess you're right, Rin.” Kagome began concentrating. “It's all a romantic fantasy. Swords and sorcery, heroes and damsels in distress. The type of things young girls fantasize about.”
 
Rin began to feel a tingling down below. “Damnit. You wouldn't!” She looked up at Kagome, who was smiling evilly. “You would.” The tingling got stronger. Rin began to feel other…responses…within herself. She gave the miko a “damn you” look.
 
“Every young girl wants to be rescued by her own fantasy hero…and then to be held…”
 
<PULSE>
 
“…and kissed…”
 
<PULSE>
 
“…and…”
 
“Stop it, Kagome. Your little brother's here, for kami's sake.”
 
<PULSE>
 
“Is your friend okay, Kagome?” asked Mama, who was wondering why she suddenly felt…horny.
 
<PULSE>
 
“She'll be fine, Mama.” Kagome turned to Rin. “Will you be staying for dessert?”
 
<PULSE>
 
“I…I don't think so.” Rin pulled a cell phone out of her pocket and dialed quickly. “Yes. I need you to pick me up now.” She put the phone away and turned to Mama Higurashi. “My boyfriend will be here in a minute to pick me up. It-It's been lovely meeting you, Mrs. Higurashi…and the oden was so v-very good.”
 
“Hmm?” Mama had been pondering whether she had spare batteries in her nightstand. “Oh, thank you, Rin. It was nice meeting a new friend of Kagome's. We'll have to talk longer, next time.”
 
“O-of course.” Rin's cell phone rang again and she answered. “You're here? Okay. I'll be right down.”
 
After saying a rushed goodbye, Mama watched Rin dash down the steps to a waiting limousine, below.
 
“Your friend's boyfriend must be rich, Kagome.”
 
“Yeah, he is.” Kagome observed as a short, wizened man got out and opened the rear door for Rin. Kagome and her mother watched as the girl practically dived into the car…the ensuing activity, while not visible to them, obviously discomfiting to the servant. The odd little man quickly closed the door, got in and drove off.
 
“I don't know about you, Kagome, but I'm going to bed early.”
 
 
******************
 
 
InuYasha's eyes snapped open. “Youkai.” He concentrated. “It's not Sesshoumaru, but it is…familiar. I haven't smelled this scent in a very long time.” He shook Kagome's gently.
 
“I'm up.”
 
“Do you feel it?”
 
“I thought I felt something a few minutes ago. It reminded me of the well, but I thought I was dreaming.”
 
“This is youkai.”
 
“I know.”
 
“I'll get Tetsusaiga.” InuYasha got up, pulled on his hakamas, and then reached under the bed.
 
Kagome pulled on a robe. “I'll get my bow.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
The miko turned. “Yes?”
 
“Don't be so quick to shoot. I haven't picked up this scent in a long time. I'm not sure, but I don't think you should shoot right away.”
 
“Okay.”
 
 
******************
 
 
“It's in the well house.”
 
What's it doing in there?”
 
“I don't know. Maybe it picked up on one of your ji-chan's sutras.”
 
“You're kidding.”
 
Both stopped walking as a low growling came from the building. But it wasn't consistent. There was growling, then sniffing, then growling that sounded more like curiosity than anything.
 
Then…whining?
 
InuYasha opened the door to the well house. “Oi. If I didn't know better, I'd say that was…”
 
A huge mass of fur came flying out, colliding with the hanyou and knocking him onto his back. Kagome pivoted quickly, mindful of InuYasha's request that she not shoot quickly…but her mate had been pinned to the ground by a…
 
“Wait!”
 
She paused. She couldn't see clearly, but it didn't look like InuYasha was being ripped apart. And it didn't sound like InuYasha was being ripped apart. And that voice…
 
“S-Sango?”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“That voice, too? thought Kagome. “Miroku?”
 
“Kagome?” There was a pause. “Where…are we?”
 
Kagome tried to wrap her head around what was going on. There was a flash behind her and InuYasha appeared at her side…now holding Kirara in the fire neko's diminutive form.
 
“Oi! Look who I found.”
 
Two voices rang out as one. “InuYasha?”
 
“I figured it was you guys after Kirara jumped on me.”
 
Still remaining in the well house, Miroku spoke. “What is this place?”
 
“Oi. You're in Kagome's time. How'd you get through the well, anyway? Me and Kagome had to get here the long way.”
 
“The long way?” That was Sango.
 
“Yeah. You know. We get through five hundred years together, and then Kagome gets this crazy idea that she wants to finish school and graduate in front of her family.”
 
“It's not crazy!”
 
“If we needed any more proof that it's them, Sango, there they are…arguing again.” Miroku spoke louder, addressing the two outside the well house. “Could you two please come in here? Sango is still nervous about going outside.”
 
“Yeah, yeah. Sure.”
 
Kagome could only see silhouettes. “Now, don't be afraid. I'm going to turn on a light. It's a little like one of the flashlights I brought back with me.” She flipped a switch and a light came on.
 
“Sango!”
 
“Kagome!”
 
InuYasha walked up and stood beside Miroku as Kagome and Sango held each other in a mutual bear hug.
 
“Keh. This might take a while.”
 
 
 
 
A/N: An interesting dinner is followed by a reunion of old friends. Kagome's life just keeps getting more complicated, doesn't it? And how did Miroku, Sango and Kirara get to Kagome's time, anyway? More confusion to come!
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.