InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The 500 Year Engagement ❯ The 500 Year Engagement - A Date with Disaster ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The 500-Year Engagement
A Date with Disaster
By Majicman55
 
Disclaimer: The characters from InuYasha” are not mine; they are the intellectual property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shogakukan, Yomiuri TV, Sunrise, and Viz. I do not benefit financially from these writings. I just like to play with the characters.
 
 
Kagome did her best to fill Midori in on what she'd need to know to go to the dance with Hojo. She informed her about her life at school, about Hojo and how her friends were always trying to fix her up with him, and about how Hojo seemed to have a crush on her and had kept bringing her “healthy gifts” from his parents' store.
 
Fortunately, Kagome's mother had purchased the school yearbook, so Kagome was able to point out pictures of everyone Midori would need to know, including her teachers. Also fortunately, Midori had a good memory.
 
“So you never actually went out with this guy?” Midori was studying Hojo's picture. “He's actually kind of cute.”
 
“Don't get any ideas.” Kagome closed the yearbook with a loud snap. “Besides, I already knew your father.”
 
“And you were in love with him even then?”
 
Kagome leaned back. “I don't think I had realized it yet, but yes.”
 
InuYasha's voiced boomed from the other room. “She felt me up the first time she saw me!”
 
“Mom!”
 
Kagome was blushing. “His ears! I couldn't resist his ears!”
 
“Feh! How do I know you didn't…?”
 
“Osuwari!”
 
<WHAM>
 
“Damnit!”
 
“Cool. I didn't know I could do that just by thinking about it.” A flood of images from InuYasha entered her mind. There was one involving strong silk cords and a very dominant hanyou that she really liked.
 
“Mom?”
 
Kagome shot a quick thought to her mate, “I'll take you up on that later,” then returned her attention to her daughter. “I'm sorry, dear. Your father was annoying me.”
 
Midori was perfectly aware that her mother and father could communicate mentally at close range. “Just what did you promise dad to get him to settle down?” She smiled as her mother turned beet red. “Just remember, I'm part youkai. Your scent is…different.”
 
Kagome blushed even more, if that was possible.
 
“Kagome Higurashi?”
 
“Oh no.” Mama Higurashi was using her full name. And the way Mama had drawn it out, Kagome knew she was in for it.
 
“Come into the kitchen. We need to talk.”
 
Unfortunately, just as Kagome was thinking of fleeing out the front door, there was a knock.
 
“Looks like your date is here, mom.” Midori stood up, straightening her skirt. “You'll thank me for this later.”
 
Kagome sighed in resignation. Obviously she couldn't let Hojo see her and Midori together. She retreated to the kitchen, joining her mother and making it a point to stand where Hojo wouldn't see.
 
Mama was glaring at her. Kagome motioned towards the front door and went “shh” to remind Mama that she had to wait till Midori left for her “date” with Hojo.
 
Midori opened the door. “Oh. Hi, Hojo.”
 
“Hello, Kagome,” said the boy. “You look nice.”
 
“Thank you.” Midori was wearing a dress that was a little more daring than Kagome would have chosen. It was almost as short as the skirt that was part of her school uniform, and the top showed enough cleavage that there was no doubt she took after her mother.
 
Hojo finally recovered enough to speak. “Your flower.”
 
“Huh?”
 
Kagome cringed. She had forgotten to tell Midori about the corsage! She retrieved the flower from the fridge, gave it to Mama, and gave her a pleading look.
 
Mama gave a low “hmpff,” and took the box with the flower into the living room. “Here you go…Kagome.”
 
“Thank you…Mama.” Midori was always quick on the uptake. She gave the flower to Hojo, who pinned it to her dress…causing himself more than a little embarrassment as, frankly, there wasn't much room to pin it anywhere without touching his “date” in an awkward way.
 
Midori smiled at the boy's discomfiture and held part of her dress forward to facilitate pinning the flower on her. “Thank you, Hojo.”
 
“You're welcome, Higura…Kagome.”
 
Midori realized her own mother was still hiding in the kitchen, so she took the anxious boy's hand. “Come on! We'd better get going.”
 
“Wow!” thought Hojo. “For once, Higurashi is enthusiastic about going out with me.” He smiled and followed her out the door and down the steps.
 
 
******************
 
 
Mama Higurashi watched Midori and Hojo till they reached the street; then closed the door and turned…to find Kagome trying to sneak out the back door. “Get back here!”
 
Kagome cringed. “I'm 516 years old and I'm still afraid of Mama.” She turned, slowly. “Yes, Mama.”
 
Mama pointed to the sofa. “Sit.”
 
Kagome picked up a thought from her mate. How do YOU like it?” She sat down where her Mama indicated.
 
“We've got a lot to talk about.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Midori smiled across the table at Hojo. She would have preferred something other than pizza…especially given the dress she was wearing…but she reminded herself that this was a teenage boy who could not have the same appreciation for fine dining that she did and probably didn't have the money for it, anyway.
 
It amused her further that she had to act like her mother who was, herself, having to act like a modern Japanese teenage girl. “Why, oh why, does mom insist on graduating from school?”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“She certainly doesn't have to. She's already graduated once.”
 
“Kagome?” Hojo reached across the table, touching Midori's hand. “Are you alright?”
 
“Huh?”
 
“You seemed lost in your own world.”
 
“Oh. Sorry.”
 
Hojo sighed. This was the old Kagome he knew. “If you're not feeling well again, I can take you home.”
 
“No, no. I'm fine!” Midori concentrated on her date. “I can't go home now. Besides, he's kind of cute. Really nice eyes, a nice ass and…no, mustn't think that way.”
 
“You're sure?”
 
`Yeah.” Midori reached under the table and touched Hojo's leg in reassurance. Almost immediately, there was a change in the boy's scent. “Uh-oh. Gotta remember this is a normal teenage boy I'm dealing with…one with raging teenage hormones and…” Her hand crept up the boys leg till she encountered a bulge. She drew away quickly…before Hojo could interpret her touch as a come-on. “…a teenage boy with raging hormones and a big…”
 
Midori shook her head. “Stop thinking this way!”
 
 
******************
 
 
“Spill!”
 
Kagome stared back at Mama. “How much did InuYasha tell you?”
 
Mama sat on the edge of the sofa, intense. “Enough to know that you're 516 years old and that the two of you have at least fourteen “pups,” as your “mate” calls them.
 
“Fourteen?” thought Kagome. She looked down. “More than fourteen.”
 
“I know.”
 
“A lot more than…huh?”
 
“InuYasha wouldn't tell me how many. He said he'd leave that to you. But I got the strong sense that you two had many, many children.”
 
“Two hundred and thirty-three.”
 
“So I…two hundred……………and thirty-three?”
 
Kagome was still looking down. “Yeah. They're not all still alive, though.” She started to get teary-eyed. “I'm sorry that you'll never get to meet them all, Mama.”
 
Mama Higurashi softened when she saw how emotional her daughter was. “It's okay, dear. I understand.”
 
“We weren't even married, Mama!” declared Kagome. “I hadn't even graduated from school…and there I was, pregnant with triplets!”
 
“It's okay.”
 
“Sango and Miroku had just disappeared. I cried for a week…and then InuYasha declared his love for me…and before I knew it, he had carried me away to a secluded spot…”
 
“I understand.”
 
Kagome was babbling. “…and I looked up, and there he was, standing over me with his HUGE…well, it was sticking out.”
 
“You don't have to go any further.”
 
“I could feel his hot breath on my neck as he used his claws to slice my clothing off!”
 
“Please don't go any further.”
 
“It just seemed to go on forever, Mama…both of us screaming each other's name into the night.”
 
“Milk, bread, daikon, batteries…”
 
“Mama?”
 
“Huh? Oh.” Mama sighed and leaned back on the sofa. Thinking of her shopping list hadn't been an effective distraction. “I understand. You were stuck five hundred years in the past. I couldn't expect you to wait that long to get married.”
 
“That started the triplets. Then there were the…”
 
Mama put her hand on Kagome's knee. “Stop. InuYasha already explained all that.” She removed her hand and leaned back again.
 
“Feh. Why is your mother's scent like that?”
 
Kagome looked closely at Mama. InuYasha could have meant only one thing. “Maybe I shouldn't have been talking that way.”
 
“Keh.”
 
 
******************
 
 
Midori sighed and pressed against Hojo as they danced. There were a couple of teachers patrolling the dance floor with six-inch rulers in an anachronistic attempt to keep the students a respectable distance apart during the slow dances…but it would have taken a lot more than six inches for her to be completely separated from this boy. How did mom miss THIS?”
 
She shuddered. “It's been thirty years.” She looked up and found the boy looking into her eyes. He had felt her tremble and had obviously interpreted it as desire on her part. “Get hold of yourself, Midori. You can't go around lusting after teenage boys…especially not THIS one.”
 
She closed her eyes…and found that the boy had taken it as an invitation. Mmm-mm. He's a good kisser, too.”
 
 
******************
 
 
 
“Where are Sango and Miroku?”
 
“They're out on the grounds, Kagome. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to the store.”
 
“Okay, Mama.” Kagome paused. “When you saw us under Goshinboku, kissing like that, I panicked and told you we were engaged. Funny. We had already had over two hundred kids.”
 
“It's okay, Kagome. Oh, and speaking of kids, Sango's pregnant.”
 
“WHAT?”
 
 
******************
 
 
When Kagome went out the back door, she found Sango sitting under the Goshinboku and InuYasha and Miroku starting the construction of an old-style hut. She sat beside her friend. “So…what are you guys doing?” She nodded towards the monk and hanyou.
 
“I…I guess we're going to need a place to stay…and we can hardly stay in your mother's house.”
 
“She wouldn't mind. You could use our old room.”
 
“But you and InuYasha…”
 
“No, we have a place to live.”
 
“With Sesshoumaru?”
 
Kagome laughed at that. “They get along better now, but not THAT well. We have a large estate we share, but there are two separate houses, well apart.”
 
“I see.”
 
“You could live with us.”
 
“We don't want to be a burden.”
 
“You wouldn't be!”
 
The taijiya smiled in gratitude. “Thanks, but InuYasha came up with a good suggestion, and your ji-chan even agrees it's a good idea.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“We will finish our hut; then we will live here and work here at the shrine as `historical re-enactors,” as your grandfather described it.”
 
“That's actually a good idea.”
 
“Your ji-chan mentioned something about ordering more souvenirs.”
 
“I see.” Kagome grinned at the memory of when her grandfather tried to sell keychain replicas of the Shikon no Tama.
 
“I may even demonstrate the Hiraikotsu.”
 
“Don't strain yourself.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Mama told me.”
 
“Oh.” Sango started to blush.
 
“Don't be embarrassed. It's not like you showed up at your mother's house after five hundred years and had to tell her she was already an obaachan hundreds of times over.”
 
Sango looked at her friend for a long moment. “I guess you're right.”
 
“Lady Kagome?”
 
Kagome found the monk standing over her. “Yes, Miroku?”
 
“Are you aware that your ji-chan has been sealed?”
 
“Huh? What?”
 
“InuYasha told me how your grandfather's sutras don't work. I examined them and, in fact, I couldn't have done a better job myself.” The monk continued. “This meant that either your ji-chan has either no, or very weak, powers…or that he's been sealed. And he's definitely been sealed. And one more thing.”
 
Kagome looked thoughtful. Although she loved her grandfather very much, she had always considered him a big fake…at least when it came to spiritual powers. “Hmm. Yes?”
 
“If I didn't know better, I'd say you did the sealing.”
 
“But that's ridiculous. I haven't sealed anyone in almost sixty years. There was this one priest-in-training who kept…detecting my spiritual powers. It might have led to difficult questions…and - oh boy.”
 
“Kagome?”
 
“I think I sealed my own ji-chan.”
 
 
******************
 
 
There was the faint sound of a car driving off, followed a moment later by the turning of the knob at the front door of the Higurashi household. The door swung open and a shadowy figure entered and closed the door behind herself.
 
The time was 3:15 AM.
 
All Midori could think of was sleep. She started for the sofa in the living room.
 
“Oi. Why do you smell like sex?”
 
“D-Dad?”
 
 
 
 
A/N: Uh-oh. Didn't Midori say, “What could go wrong?” Looks like something went wrong. Hmmm. Wonder what this might mean when Kagome goes back to school on Monday.
 
More confusion to come!
 
As always, please read and review. Thanks! Oh, and again, more reviews = more inspiration for new chapters.