Justice League Fan Fiction ❯ Kallin's Story ❯ Why me ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
N/A: ok I don’t actually follow the Green Lantern comic books so if there are some problems sorry this is just something I thought of after watching the movie
I do NOT own green lantern or any of its characters  thank you

Chapter One

Standing far from the crowd of amused party goers, watching the clouds turn and darken, one girl waited to hear the crack of thunder that she knew was coming. Her long blond hairs hung lose around her lifting in the breeze every so often. The music from the town’s celebration party blared behind her mixing with the voices of friends and family. “Kallin, earth to Kallin” the unexpected voice pulled Kallin from her musings “ya?” she asked softly turning towards her childhood friend Tracy. Out of breath from the run up the hill Tracy wheezed an answer then coughed “what are you doing up here?” Kallin smiled softly “nothing just thinking”. Tracy gave her a look of confusion “we’re supposed to be celebrating you know it’s not every day the Guardians of the all the galaxies in trusted an object of power to us.” She exclaimed shaking her hip in a silly motion. Making her extremely short black hair fly around, Kallin shook her head at her friend “any excuse to party eh” It was only a few years ago now that a green lantern landed on earth and turned one man into a green lantern, the first human lantern ever.

While most of the time the green lantern was off world people seemed to forget all though it did inspire many great stories online. It was on his last visit to earth that had caused this fiasco. Kallin wasn’t entirely sure what had happened but the corps as the lantern called it had discovered an object of power that could be turned into a weapon of mass destruction. So they decided to break it into five pieces and send each piece to a different galaxy one ended up here though no one knew where the government had put it everyone seem inclined to celebrate. Kallin loved her friends and family so much for all their zaniness but she had a hard time seeing why everyone was so excited if anyone wanted it they would be coming here. And anyone who felt the need to search it out probably didn’t want it for a decoration.

 Not wanting to bring her friends mood down or give her a chance to start up another ramble session on how cool the lanterns were, Kallin turned linked arms with her and let Tracy lead them into the crowd. It was almost daybreak when everyone began turning in Kallin herself had found a nice tree to fall asleep in close to midnight, waking up to her brothers calls for her she climbed down and walked home with him. Their father was still at work when they arrived, but that wasn’t all that unusual for him as a scientist he sometimes became lost in his work. Not bothering to remove their shoe Kallin and her brother walked up the stairs to their rooms without saying a word they went to their beds and passed out. Dr Hessner came home late in the day calling for his kids “KALLIN, ROBERT!” not wanting to move from her bed Kallin stomped on the floor “come down here please” her father called back. Getting up and walking over to the door she realized she was still wearing the clothes from the day before, changing direction she pulled out a new set of clothes and got dressed. By the time Kallin made it down stairs Dale Hessner already had a stack of strawberry waffles made. “How was the party?” he asked as Kallin moved her stack of renter’s news from the table. “Fine Robert had fun” she told him about the dancing and drinking while they ate waiting for Robert. “Ok, he’s probably not coming down for a while.” Dale grind knowing his son like him slept like a log. Handing her a small box her father grind “happy birthday, sweetie” he smiled proud of himself. “My birthday was two weeks ago dad” Kallin told him it she hadn’t taken it personal Dale forgot a lot of things mostly the relationship details like birthdays and graduations.

Nineteen is big I shouldn’t have forgot Kallin you and your brother put up with a lot from me, I don’t want you to think it’s  because I don’t love you.” Kallin opened the box and gasped in it was a slightly lopsided nine pointed star the five points on one side were short and the four on the opposite side were long giving it the appearance of a shooting star. It was hard to guess what kind of metal it was made of but Kallin didn’t care she loved it. Hugging her father with all the strength she could, after cleaning up the kitchen Kallin sat down with the rent’s new articles and began circling potential places. Tracy knocked on her door around ten chattering on about the guys she met after Kallin had dosed of last night. As Tracy talked Kallin watched the stars, three green shooting stars rocketed across the sky. Making both Tracy and Kallin jump never had earth’s lantern brought any other lanterns here.

The girls run into the living room changing the channel Robert was watching to the local news station knowing that they would be likely to have a ‘breaking news’ story any second. In addition, were not disappointed. The news reporter nearly jumped out of his seat talking quickly about the information that had just come in. “three green lanterns have appeared at the house of local senator Gribons, although we can get close it appears they aren’t very happy.” The reporter went on about how they landed and walked about their postures and on and on. Kallin turned away not interested in what the reporter thought of the lanterns. Robert and Tracy leaned into the TV hoping the station would get a glimpse of them but all the cameras could see was a green wall that surrounded the balcony they were on. The station stayed on the topic of the lanterns long after they had flown off. Tracy stayed over rather than going home that night the girl slept very little, Tracy wanting to talk about the lanterns until she couldn’t hold her eyes open anymore.

The next several days were dull the news continued to cover the visit and what their ‘experts’ thought of the men.  Kallin chose two help with the organization of the town’s summer festival that was being held in the Barker’s back field. Along with several friends Kallin went out to set up tables, chairs, and flowery decorations. As they finished the set up Thursday evening Allen, Tracy’s sometimes boyfriend brought over pizza for everyone. Eating and joking none in the group noticed the police or army men swarming around in the trees an unexpected crash caught the groups’ attention. Three odd looking space craft’s swooped down out of the blue and fired into the trees surrounding the field. Kallin looked around frantically hearing screams from everywhere filling the air. Locating Tracy who was hiding in Allen’s arms under a flimsy table Kallin ran to her “we have to go now!” she screamed to them over the noise of gun fire.  Pulling them through the field trying to avoid the tables and chairs that were now flying around, the larger air craft touched down. Opening from the side and four aliens stepped out, no less than six feet tall, and they seemed to have been on mega steroids. The aliens moved towards the center of the field not really paying attention to anything in particular. Kallin sure that these aliens probably wanted whatever it was the guardians had left decided it would be best if she and her friends got the hell out of dodge.  

It seemed as if time was moving in slow motion, the aliens’ wrist cuffs let off an ear piercing screech and all the aliens turned towards Kallin and her friends. The police tried to move in and help but were no match for the ships that kept a near constant volley of laser blasts into the tree line holding her breath Kallin grabbed Tracy’s wrist feeling her bracelet bit into her hand. She pulled her and Allen back farther away. “Let’s go! NOW!” Barking one of the aliens moved to grab them but Kallin gave them one last push before moving in front of the alien. Not caring there was nothing she could do to stop it she stood her ground. The creature snarled at her and shot a laser blast directly at her, forcing her muscles to freeze Kallin closed her eyes waiting she heard the blast impact just over her shoulder and looked up to see the thing snarling again. Getting the impression that it was saying something or rather commanding something of her, Kallin shook her hear it may not speak her language but some things are universal. Howling the thing sent another blast her way this one landed only a foot from her. As it approached Kallin tried to back away but found her legs stiff from the effort of forcing them to stay. Lifting its hand to knock her away the creature swung but hit a green shield. Three lanterns land seconds later two in front of her sending blasts of energy at the invaders and the last behind her he was taller than she was by at least a foot and his skin a pale pink almost white, was accented by his silver hair and his body was proportionally muscled though Kallin knew it wasn’t his muscles that were his true strength but his will. Looking her over quickly he nodded and stepped around her to join the fight, Struck by his eyes that appeared a golden hue.

The fight moved away from her caught up in watching the strange lantern Kallin didn’t see the energy blast headed for her friends till the last second, moving faster than she thought her self capable Kallin stood in between them and the blast using her arms to block she took the hit full on. Her sleeve caught fire making her franticly cast off the jacket. Her arms burned a bright red and seared with pain, but she refused to move away. Tracy screams pitched even higher, Allen to scared to move sat beside her and simply stared. The beasts snarled again bring Kallin attention back to him. And set up to send another blast her way the lanterns tried, to get to her but were blocked. The creature sprinted the short distance across the field like a football player setting up to hit her directly, when his weapon beeped an alarm at him. Not knowing what to do having never been in a real fight Kallin dug her feet into the ground and tried to stop him, managing only to direct him away from her friends as he hit her and sent her back tree feet. Laying at the ground were her friends cowered together feeling every muscle in her body protest she tried to get up it took several attempts but she was able to get to her feet and took position if front of her friends again.

Barely able to stand Kallin got ready for another hit. Feeling a strange warm energy wrap around her right hand she looked down, a thin green chain wrapped around her middle finger crossing around her hand and up her wrist in a intricate pattern. The beast charged again raising its fist throwing up both hands Kallin imagined a rubber wall stood between her and monster intent on hurting her and her friends. And was surprised when she opened them to see the very wall she had thought of had thrown the beast almost ten feet back.     
Converting /tmp/phpp2jMcT to /dev/stdout