Karin Fan Fiction ❯ Karin's Wedding ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10
 
When Sea Blue finally returned home, her parents were concerned. “Your sister informed us on what you had been doing tonight.”
Sea Blue wondered if daddy was going to do something irrational. She then said, “Hey, I've awakened. You know how things go.”
Her father was not so sympathetic. He said, “Yes, you have awakened, but you are still under our roof. You have not wed yet, and we have not met any good prospects. Thus, unless you can go out on your own and make it happen, you are to follow our rules.”
Her mother then chimed in, and said, “Yes, and what is this I hear about associating with humans, and them knowing about us?”
“Momma, where have you been,” said Sea Blue, “From what I know, there was some big fight three years ago, and some troublemakers were dealt with. I'm told that a group of humans and vampires bound together as a result. They haven't squealed, so what's the problem?”
She thought for a moment, and then she said, “Oh, that's right: you had us hiding out until things blew over—real brave there, daddy!”
“Now you wait just one minute…,” said her father, but her mother was thinking for a moment or two, and then said, “Hold on, dear, because I think I know about what she speaks. I paid a visit to Calera recently, and I was curious about the two houses that have been built on the hill since the last time I was there. I asked her about them, and she told me everything. I must admit that it is pretty amazing that there are humans that are not only absent from fear of us, but that also want to be friends with us. She said that are about 250 individuals involved now, including Henry's mother! I never thought I'd see the day when Elda Marker would even look at a human without wanting to either feed or kill. She says it has much to do with some half breed.”
Sea Blue looked surprised, and said, “A half breed…oh, you mean Jean-Claude!”
“You know its name?” exclaimed her father.
“He isn't an “it,” daddy, he is a “he.” He is a person,” she said.
“What your father means is that a dhamphir is sterile,” said her mother, “He has the equipment, but essentially, he's shooting blanks.”
“Oh yeah?” she said defiantly, “I'll have you know that he has twins—a boy and a girl!”
The two of them looked stunned. They had not been keeping up on local affairs, so they had not heard about the miracle births. “How is that possible?” said her father in amazement.
“Henry's daughter is the Fountain of Psyche, daddy,” said Sea Blue, “That must have something to do with it.”
Her mother said, “Honestly, dear, we have to get out more!”
She then turned her attention to her daughter, and she said, “Still, from what I understand, the main group is people not much older than you. Where do they get the leadership? I mean, they cannot be much more than some kind of a youth gang.”
“Elda provides it, as well as two vampires that are over 1,000 years old, and Jean-Claude.” Answered Sea Blue, “He seems to be the one in charge.”
Both her parents now looked stunned. Not only was a half-breed having children, he was leading a squadron of vampires and humans! “How can something…um…someone as weak as a dhamphir be able to do this?”
Sea Blue got a look in her eye, a smirk, and said, “You should have seen him in action last night! He's very powerful!”
Her mother thought further, and then said, “So, why does he want you and your sister to join with them?”
“He thinks we would be able to help further the cause by finding and recruiting vampires that would support the cause,” she answered, “and that there would be safety and protection for all of us. He said, `An attack on one of us is an attack on us all,' that kind of thing.”
“Would you have to fight?” asked her father, genuinely concerned that her daughter was not trying to join some kind of street gang.
“He said that we all would come to the aid of one another,” she answered, “He didn't specify how. He just said that we were all pledged to each other's personal safety.”
“I don't know,” said her father, but she protested, “Daddy, Karin told us at some point last night about something Jean-Claude likes to say: if they had wanted to hurt us they could have done it long ago.”
Her mother finally said, “We're going with you tonight, and your sister is coming.”
“Aw,” Sea Blue responded, “Why her—she is such a party pooper!”
Her father then said, “Look, if Henry is all okay with it, then we will be okay with it. I just want to see what is going on.”
She relented, and they all agreed to go to the hill at the time Jean-Claude specified.
 
When things first started, it was not nearly this elaborate. However, as time passed, it seemed that some kind of ritual was called for, because of the serious nature of the Clan. It had to hit home to the recruit that they were a part of something special. The Innocents and their parents arrived not long after the sun went down. Calera welcomed them in warmly, and Henry was pleased that there would be more allies in the city. When he quizzed Henry about the happenings, he said, “Worry not, Jacques, my boy is a good boy…”
“Your…your boy?” he said, surprised.
“It's a long story, Jacques,” said Henry, “but I legally adopted him.”
While this was going on, Yuriya was on the floor, playing with the twins, while Karin kept Elda occupied, (for the sake of the twins.) One thing that was noted was that Karin and Yuriya were both wearing black dresses. Sea Blue loved them, and said, “Wow, those look great on you two!”
“Get used to it,” said Karin, “Because you'll be getting one of these as well.”
At this, Chiyuki, Ai, Ren, and Jean-Claude came down. Everyone, except for Jean-Claude, was wearing the black hooded vampire cloak that was common amongst their kind. Jean-Claude was wearing his hunting clothes, and everyone was at least wearing the cloaks. The twins ran to their father, screaming, “Daddy!” as they went. He picked the two of them up and gave them a mighty hug. Shelia, who seemed to have inherited her father's bon vivant side said, “Daddy make new friends?”
“That's right, Sugar Plum,” he said.
Mickey, who seemed to have inherited his father's quieter side, said, “You scary when you make friends,” referring to the initiation. He said, “It's okay, Tiger, no one gets hurt: they're becoming family.”
He then noticed Ruby there, and said, “Ruby Innocent, have you thought about things?”
“Yes, I have,” she said, quietly.
“What do you think?” he asked her.
“I still have my reluctance,” she said, “But that human, (pointing to Kenta, who was cloaked and standing on the back porch with everyone else,) help us last night. He put his life on the line. If there are others like him, I would gladly join.”
“Excellent!” he said, “You will not regret your choice. Honey…”
However, she was already fetching the cloaks for the girls, and he said, “You can read my mind, girl!”
“Yes,” she said, “and it is quite the novel!” and she kissed him. Jean-Claude then said, “Okay, it is time. Karin, get everyone around the fire pit and get things going. Yuriya…” and she handed him the large goblet before he could finish his sentence. He laughed, and he went out back with the twins. As they were leaving, Jacques came up to her and said, “You must see something very special in him.”
She smiled, and said, “After all he has done for us, and for me, I practically worship the ground on which he walks. He is the future.”
“But, you must know…” said the mother, (named Maria,) but Yuriya had already been down this road. She turned to her matter-of-factly, and said, “…that he is a `mule?' Yes, I do, and like a good mule, he has a powerful kick. I wouldn't cross him if I were you. He thinks he's the best, and I happen to believe him. Try not to tick him off, please?”
She took a few swaggers, and then went to set them in their place. She said, “Oh, and, by the way, I would prefer if you did not call him a `mule',” and then she got real close, and said, “Because that is what I am as well! Thanks to him, and to Karin, I have a family and a future, whereas I was alone, and the pawn of a conniving uncle that used me like a puppet. With him, we all have a chance, and you had better wake up, because I don't take kindly to your attitude. That attitude almost got us all killed! To quote a famous phrase from a good movie, `We would gladly feast on those that would subdue us,' GOT IT!”
They both looked amazed, and a bit scared. Yuriya had learned how to put on her husband's game face, and she was not about to let two ignorant boobs spoil anything. Besides, she knew where to run when there was trouble. It was good to have family around!
 
As they were gathering, Ai and Chiyuki approached Karin and Jean-Claude, saying, “During the refreshments, we need to talk to you.”
After acknowledging this, they prepared to begin. They all stood around the medium-sized campfire, and Jean-Claude began to walk around it as he spoke. They all had their hoods up, as the Innocent sisters stood by Karin and the Devil sisters. He then said, “For thousands of years, as long as sentient beings roamed the earth, three things have done more to hasten the destruction of them than any other: fear, superstition, and hate. We sentient beings have done all that we can to embrace those things, causing more murder and war in the annals of history than can be imagined. However, we now stand on the threshold of a new millennium. Sentient beings have come a long way, in that, we have accomplished much in the way of education,—education usually conquers fear. Many have come and gone, pointing us to higher goals than greed and self. We have even come to learn that, before one seeks to dominate others, he should first seek to dominate one's self. When he succeeds at this, then trying to dominate the world seems like a shallow prize. When those with such minds unite, great and good things always happen. In this group, this family, this Clan, are those who have traveled that path. They have taught, supported, crossed over, and bled into each other's wounds to defend this beautiful family as it grew. They came together when there would be those that would have sought to use their positions to dominate others, and the world, thinking themselves to be gods, and they were nothing but demons. The core remains unto this day. They understood the future, and understood that this could be greater, and they have done all they could to cause the Clan to grow. One day, this will be a world where human, undead, vampire, and dhamphir can walk the streets together as brothers and sister, in full understanding of one another's needs and wants, doing all they can to further the bettering of their sentient neighbors. Bring forth the candidates!”
Karin guided them out, and Jean-Claude called for the goblet. He then declared, “Here stand before you two girls that are as one. They are not only identical twin vampires, but they also share the same first name. To identify them for you, I present to you Sea Blue Innocent Katiri, and Ruby Innocent Katiri. They have pledged their lives and their sacred honor to all of the Clan, and all those that walk below our shadows. To you two, I then say that, even though one may not be a Clan member, understand that all of Japan, and any that walk before us, shall be afforded our help and protection, because that person you teach or aid may be the next member of this Clan that could be the one to change the world. Whether or not they appreciate you for it, this is that to which you pledge. Do you understand and accept this?”
They both said, “Yes,” and he continued: “Then both of you turn to the north, and face Polaris. Raise your right hands, and repeat after me.”
They both did, and this was the oath they declared: “I do solemnly swear to respect all sentient life, and protect them against all foes, foreign and domestic, no matter which they are. I swear to come to the aid of any in need, and I attest that all sentient life forms are created equal, and are afforded the rights of all sentient creatures, no matter who they be, so help me God.”
Once this was done, a goblet was brought forth. A long dagger was produced, sanitized in the flame, then Jean-Claude then said, “Both of you, put forth your wrists.”
The goblet was rather big, and could hold a quart of liquid. The dagger itself had two blades for a night like this, and he prepared to make two cuts. He took the tip of the dagger and pressed the two insides of their wrists together on the blade. Jacques was about to bolt from his chair, but Henry stopped him, saying, “Fear not: he only takes a pint. If they are vampires, they can heal up right away.”
Their parents relaxed, but only slightly. Both girls, though brave, did tense up. He then yanked, and made good, clean cuts. They were not big, but they bled well. As they did, Jean-Claude then said, “The two now become one as their blood mixes. Now we make them one with you.”
He then passed around the goblet, and every vampire took a sip, while the humans smeared blood across their foreheads. They remembered how Chiyuki spoke of a Native American tradition of warriors smearing the blood of a fallen comrade on their heads, as if to say that the man's spirit traveled with him into the battle. For them, it was as if the spirit of the Innocent sisters would ever be on their minds, and they would ever be with them. The goblet was passed around to all as everyone drank, and it was drained. Then Jean-Claude bit his own hand, and put in a squirt. Then the goblet was passed around to everyone, and it was filled. It was then handed to the sisters, and Jean-Claude then said, “Now, let the two become one with us.”
He then leaned forward, and whispered, “You must drink it all, even if it does not taste good.”
They both drank, both with disgusted looks on their faces, but they did finish the goblet. He then said, “It is done! They are now family!”
At this, they all cheered, “Hip, hip, hurrah!” three times, and they all applauded. Sea Blue was elated, and even Ruby was brought around, beginning to feel as one with the rest, and safe. At that, Jean-Claude said, “Okay, get out the grub, because we be jammin' tonight!”
That was the cue for the Bats to set up, and to play some music for the gathering.
 
As they partied, Jacque and Maria both were amazed. “Never in my wildest dreams did I think it could be like this,” said Maria.
“When you have people telling you for centuries that there is no way this could happen, and that humans cannot be trusted,” said Calera, “It's no wonder nothing like this has ever happened. This is a good thing. We need to go beyond petty squabbles, and see the good that is before us. Times change, and we must change with them, or time and nature pass us by. This is our hope, and it is brighter than it has ever been!”
Meanwhile, the Devil sisters got Karin alone, and said, “Okay, what happened when `Dead Man Walking' hit us with those laudanum darts?”
“I don't understand?” asked Karin.
“How did you get us inside, and get us to help?” asked Chiyuki.
“Well…” said Karin, and she knew there was a problem.
 
 
 
4