Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ The Transience of Memory ❯ Chapter 2b ( Chapter 3 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Chapter 2b:

Media Miner hates this chapter, and broke it off. I don't know why, but I'm working on it. Here is the rest.


Hayner calculated how much money he had with him, against the odds of needing it to last him a day or two, in case he wasn’t allowed to go home tonight, and figured he could afford about 1 1/2 burritos. Bleh. That meant he didn’t even have enough for a soda, even if he forewent the 1/2 burrito. Not that they even let you buy half burritos, but, you know, if they did. Or, if he got a soda, he’d have enough for a small taco, or a thing of nachos. Oh, how depressing, there was no way that would fill him up. Maybe he should get the 1 ½ burritos after all.

“You’ve been standing there for 5 minutes. You want Mexican, or not?”

Hayner was startled out of his reverie, to find himself loitering in front of Chico’s, a passable Mexican joint. The best thing on their menu, sadly, was the pizza. “Hmmn,” he said.

“How about burgers, then?”

Burgers! He loved burgers! His face lit up for a brief moment, before he realized he wouldn’t have enough. “Oh. Um. You know, I’m really not that hungry, I think a burrito would do me fine.”

“Burgers, it is,” Seifer said, and began walking. Hayner watched the sway of his white trench coat for a moment or two. Yup, he was getting left behind.

“H-Hey- wait! I said I wanted a burrito, dammit!” Hayner had to jog a bit to catch up to him. Seifer had a long stride. He also looked like he was skulking when he moved, only it was a graceful and dangerous kind of skulking. And the skully he wore kept an almost constant shadow over the tops of his eyes. Yeah, he looked like a complete thug; but, a thug with really cool boots.


Seifer perused the menu, stroking his chin with his hand. He either didn’t notice, or didn’t mind the slightly terrified looks most of the patrons were sending his way. The waiter crept up to the table, and asked them if they were ready to order.

“I’ll have the double cheese burger, fries, and a coke.” Seifer paused. “The runt will have the same, but no pickles.”

“Very good, sir,” the man replied before scuttling away.

Hayner fidgeted. He debated. He shifted in his seat, then went back to fidgeting. He leaned forward. “I don’t have enough money for all that,” he hissed.

“I know. That’s why I’m paying.”

Hayner chewed on that a moment.

“Here you are, then.” The waiter slid the cokes onto the table with a little too much force. They glided 2/3rds of the way across the slick surface. If he wasn’t careful, one might assume he didn’t want to wait on them. Or maybe he was just afraid to stick around for more than absolutely necessary. Either way, that wouldn’t get him raking in the big bucks.

“How did you know? And why did you order me no pickles?” The younger boy demanded.

“You were counting on your fingers and muttering under your breath.” Seifer lounged back in the booth and took a long pull on his soda. “You’re also a horrible liar.”

“And?” Hayner prodded. How the hell could he have known about the damn pickles?

Seifer smirked infuriatingly at him “I just figured you for the type that would frivolously hate something like that.”

Hayner glared mightily, and Seifer knew he’d guessed right. Why was it so fun to get under the boy’s skin? He basked in the warm glow of Hayner’s irritation. Said boy proceeded to ignore him for the rest of the meal, but Seifer didn’t mind.


***********

“Grab our boards, runt.”

They were back at the gang’s hideout. Hayner gave Seifer a look that could peel paint. “Excuse me?”

Seifer strode over to him, cutting a more than imposing figure as he looked down his nose, head tilted in a thuggish way. “I said, Get. Our. Boards. RUNT.” Hayner felt the slightest quiver of…. something… snake through him. Probably, it was fear. A healthy dose of fear. This was Seifer, after all, the most influential and terrifying gang leader in the entire city.

He looked up into those icy eyes, heart beating in his throat. “Y-yes, sir.”


“Where are we going?” Hayner asked as they walked down the street, having recovered from his embarrassing lack of composure.

“To the skate park.”

It was funny that not only he and Roxas, but Seifer as well, referred to the little strip by its misleading nickname. “Why can’t you carry your own damn board?” Hayner complained, steeling himself for another frightening stare-down.

Seifer laughed. “When Roxas made that suggestion earlier, it sounded like a good idea.”

When they reached the crossroads, Hayner saw that the rest of the Twilight Town Disciplinary Committee was already waiting for them. Seifer snagged his board from him, and strode over to his minions, greeting them heartily.

Hayner leaned against the brick wall of a building, arms crossed against his chest. He settled in for a long bout of boredom. Watching these bozos was not his idea of fun. He let his mind wander a bit, and he found himself thinking again of the skate battle he so recently lost. He hadn’t been kidding when he said Seifer had pulled out some tricks he’d never even seen before, not just that he’d never seen the other boy do them. The one that had really blown his mind was a complicated aerial combo done off one of the higher walls. The board was kicked up so it rolled sinuously around his left leg, then he did something with his feet that caused the board to do a wicked 360-spin in a traveling roll around his ankle, ending up parallel to the ground right before he landed. To top that, it wasn’t even sketchy. He did it smoothly, without ever compromising his balance to pull it off. It was impressive. There’d been no way he could even try contest the loss, after seeing something like that. Seifer was obviously a street skater of a much higher caliber. It was really annoying.

"What the hell are you doing?" Seifer called out to Hayner in a mildly annoyed voice, causing him to jump. "Get your scrawny ass over here." He was standing with his skateboard kicked up, as if interrupted mid-trick, his cronies surrounding him. They were all staring at him. Hayner glared evilly at them all, berating himself for thinking, for even a moment, that the thug was sort of cool.

He trudged up to them while they laughed. Seifer could practically see the storm cloud forming over his head. He couldn't resist messing with the kid, though. He whined, and carried on a bit, but as soon as he felt his pride threatened, he was like a different creature. His movements were tighter, and more controlled, while his body language became exaggeratedly open. A scowl planted itself on his face, his eyes gleamed fiercely. It was priceless.

Hayner bared his teeth in a mockery of a smile. “Yes?”

Seifer had his arms crossed over his chest, an unreadable expression on his face. “I want you to race Raijin.” He gestured vaguely at one of his lackeys with a tilt of his chin.

“…ok?”

“If you win, I’ll teach you that trick that had your mouth gaping open last time.”

“Really?!” Oh, sweet!

“Best two out of three. GO!” Hayner scrambled. Damn Seifer, he hadn’t been ready yet! Now this Raijin kid was going to have a lead on him.


“Not bad,” Seifer said sometime later, the corner of his mouth quirked up in a half smile. “I didn’t think you’d come back from that slow start.”

Hayner leaned on his knees, trying to catch his breath. “Yeah... thanks… for that…. jerk,” he panted. “Now… teach me.” He demanded.

Seifer tipped his board into his hand. “Alright. You begin with a nollie nose slide so you need some concrete to grind, but at the right height. The height is important. After that, it’s a modified calf wrap, which shifts into an ollie impossible right before you land.”

Hayner stared at him like he was speaking French. Backwards.

“Don’t worry about the terminology just yet, I’ll show you.” He paused, looking like he was searching for the best way to explain it. “First of all, you need to catch a lot of air to have time to pull it off. That wall over there” he pointed, “works just fine.” He lifted his board into the air, preparing to demonstrate the movements the board would make for the duration of the stunt. “Now, when you come off the wall…”


Hayner was vexed. That trick was DAMN hard! Seifer was an unexpectedly good teacher though. He understood the mechanics of it; now he just had to get his coordination down and timing right. He’d have it if he just practiced incessantly.

Four hours of skating seemed to be everyone’s limit, and at some unspoken signal, they all grabbed their boards and headed back to their hangout. Hayner followed suit automatically.

“Hey, runt.” Seifer called to him. Hayner turned to see that he wasn’t following the others, but was hanging back. He stopped and waited for the miscreant to catch up. “Go home. Sleep. Come back at 10 tomorrow.”

“I get to go home?" He asked incredulously.

"Why, did you want to wait on me hand and foot all night?"

"..." Hayner flushed a little. Gah! It had been a simple question. Why did Seifer always have to make fun of him like that?

Seifer waved him off dismissively. "Go on, get out of here."


Seifer watched him leave. Entertaining as it was, this gopher thing was taking a lot of time away from his duties. He’d be up for a while yet. After all, he couldn’t afford to be lax, and lose face. He grinned as he cracked his knuckles. Time to get to work.






TBC


Author’s notes:
Hayner seems to think and act more off the wall and weirdo when around Seifer, than when he’s around Roxas. I think this is because he tends to worry about his friend, which has a bit of a sobering affect on him. Plus, Hayner is a dramatic sort of person, and Seifer plays on that intentionally.
The skateboarding is based on real stuff, but would be less flashy in real life. Creative license, yo. I’d love to see someone spin a board like helicopter blades while defying gravity. Laws of physics, pshaw.