Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ A Wolf Story ❯ Chapter two ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

There were so many things wrong with his situation it wasn't even funny. Link stood, crouched, in the tall grass as his old teacher Rusl walked by. The strong, fatherly blond had his sword drawn and ready, a lantern swinging from one hand. Links ears drooped as he thought of his situation. Finally he got a chance to return home, but he was trapped as a monster in the eyes of everyone he wanted to see. Not to mention the only one capable of turning him back had run off to, only the goddesses knew, where.
 
The light passed by him, and he sighed disappointedly. `I shouldn't have even bothered to return. I can't stay here like this. I might as well work on ridding the fields of monsters or something.' Unthinking, he stepped backwards, intent on going around Rusl's usual pathway.
 
There was a small startled cry as he bumped into someone. Alarmed he spun around, gazing up into the terrified eyes of his best friend Ilia. Her mouth dropped open in shock, and she seemed to be momentarily paralyzed. `Oh shoot…' He thought. `Shoot, shoot, shoot! Don't scream! Please don't scream!' Slowly as possible, he stepped back onto the lighted pathway, attempting to show her he meant no harm.
 
“Ah! A monster!” Came a different voice behind him, as Link realized that he'd made another mistake. Before he could even spin around to defend himself, something hard collided with the back of his head and the whole world went black.
 
………………………&# 8230;
 
The sun was up as the slightly dazed wolf opened his eyes. “Ow…” He groaned, though the sound he made was more like a whine. `Well, at least I'm still alive…' He thought, not moving in an effort to sooth his throbbing head. `The question is… why…?'
 
Observing his surroundings, he found that he was right outside the mayor's house. A thin rope was tied around his neck binding him to the porch. It wasn't a very strong rope, and he took note that if he needed to he could snap threw it at any time. He hoped it wouldn't come to that.
 
“Oh please, please, please Daddy!” Came a familiar pleading voice from inside the house. Link lifted his head, ignoring how this action make the world spin slightly, and tilted his ears forward to hear better. It was Ilia speaking. “I don't think he's a monster Daddy! He doesn't look like a monster!”
 
“She's right.” Came the gentle voice of Rusl. “It certainly didn't put up much of a fight. Besides, it looks just like a common wolf.”
 
`So, their talking about me.' Link mused. `Why am I surprised?'
 
“Ha!” Boomed Bo's loud voice. “A wolf!? Wolves aren't common in this area! And even if they were, when have you ever seen a wolf with earrings!?” Something, presumably a fist, slammed against a table. “It's another on of those blood thirsty monsters, and I'm getting rid of it!”
 
“But Daddy!” Ilia cried, her voice strained with desperation. “You can't!”
 
“I can too!” He hollered, thinking only of the safety of his village, and the girl who stood arguing with him.
 
“No! It's not right! What if he's a good wolf!?”
 
“Good!?”
 
Rusl intervened quickly before the fight could escalate. “Bo, be reasonable. Calm down and think a bit. If it's not a monster, then we could train it. None of the dogs we can get wound be any good against monsters, but a wolf is a different story. No more guard shifts at night.”
 
The house was quite for a moment as Bo thought about it. The lack of response showed that Rusl's words had gotten to him. “…and…what if it is a monster?” He asked, making his voice even harder than normal.
 
Link could practically hear the shrug in the swords masters voice. “Then you can kill it. Its nature will prove itself in short time, there's no harm in trying.”
 
Link listened, calm but prepared to break the rope if the outcome resulted negatively for him. There was some shuffling inside, then finally a sigh. “Alright…fine. You can try to train it. But the second you think it's a monster, or the second I decide its not working, it goes!”
 
“Oh thank you Daddy! Thank you!”
 
“Oh, and don't think your off the hook young lady. You know you're not allowed out side at night. Your job will be to make sure that thing outside gets fed, got it?”
 
“Yes! I will! Thank you!”
 
Link let out a sigh. `More good news. No one is going to try to kill me any time soon… but it looks like I'm going to be playing pet.' It wasn't the most ideal situation, but it could definitely be worse.
 
The front doors swung open and Ilia stepped out. Her green eyes widened when he looked over at her. “Hey!” She called back inside. “He's awake!” She hopped down the steps, stopping just out of reach. “Hi boy.” She greeted. “How's your head?”
 
It was a rhetorical question, but she waited as though he would answer. Knowing she would never understand him if he spoke, he instead took the time to examine her. It had been quite some time since he last saw her over in Kakariko Village. Her blond hair was a bit longer, and she had probably gotten taller. He couldn't really tell because she looked taller from his current height anyway. She still wore the same outfit. A white shirt, and tan capres with a pouch strapped to her right thigh.
 
“Don't get to close to that thing!” Bo ordered coming outside with a look of worry and suspicion. He was a very large, bald man, with two boar like tusks above his mouth. He wore traditional Ordon clothes, like most of the villagers.
 
“Don't worry.” She said fondly, reaching out to scratch the wolfs head. “He seems tame. I wonder if he knows any tricks…”
 
Bo grabbed her wrist. “Ilia! Don't be so trusting!” He said firmly, then let go. “You can teach him tricks later. For now its time for you to go do your chores.”
 
She frowned, but nodded. “Alright.” She said, giving her new `pet' a look before running off to take care of her work.
 
Link watched her go, also sad at her parting. By the looks he was receiving from the mayor, he had a feeling she was going to be the only one who would keep him company. He rested his head on his folded paws with a sigh. `Looks like I'm going to have a lot of free time here…'
 
Rusl walked out the door. “Well, I'd better get home. I have to make sure Uli is ok.” Uli was Rusl's pregnant wife. “I'll be back soon too see what I can do about him.” He nodded in Links direction, and then hurried off.
 
Bo shook his head, turning to head inside. “Wah!” Came a frightened yell. Both he and Link looked for the source. A frail, scared looking man with long brown hair, was standing all the way over by his door, yelling at them. “Mayor Bo! Mayor Bo! That's a monster! What are you doing with a monster!?”
 
Bo huffed. “Relax Hanch. It's tied up. Besides Ilia wants it.”
 
“But that's the monster that snuck up on me that one night and pushed me into the river!” The man retaliated.
 
Link flinched. He knew that would come back to haunt him. Though he wouldn't call what they had in town a river (it was to short), and there was definitely no pushing, he had climbed onto a roof, and scared Hanch to the point where he threw himself into the water. Link felt bad about it, but it wasn't like he had a choice. It was that or become bird food.
 
“Hmmm…” Bo muttered observing the captive more closely. “Now that I think about it… It does kind of look like the monster that was lurking in the grass that night all that stuff was stolen…”
 
Link winced. `I knew that would come back too.' He looked away, pretending he didn't understand the conversation. He had stolen from the village, but only because Midna had refused to be of any help too him unless he did so. Besides… if he had been human at the time and asked to barrow them, the villagers would have agreed instantly. He just, kind of, skipped that part.
 
“That's it exactly! That was the one!” Hanch cried.
 
“..And you think this is our thief?” Bo asked skeptically. “It doesn't even have opposable thumbs…”
 
“Ah… well no, I-it doesn't- but it could have an evil partner!” He was very insistent. “Y-You can't allow your daughter to keep something like that!”
 
Bo huffed once more, turning and walking up the stairs to his front door. “I have already agreed to let it stay for a while.” He answered his voice very clear that he wasn't going to break his word. “It looks like we'll both just have too deal with it.”
 
 
 
…This is so boring… I hope my muse likes it!
LoZ © Not me.