Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Prologue:
 
Glorfindel grinned wickedly to himself as he spotted the person he sought in the far distance. He was tall, proud and stern, with golden hair and bright blue eyes, several shades darker then Glorfindel's own eyes. Beside him rode a second figure of equal bearing yet younger and without the wisdom of many years.
 
Glorfindel could hardly take his eyes from the youngster who rode beside the first elf. It had only seemed like yesterday yet Legolas Thranduillian had changed much over the years and had grown to be as tall, proud and stubborn as his father Thranduil, King of Greenwood.
 
As Thranduil rode beneath the tree on his way to Rivendell in which Glorfindel hid, he readied his trap. He took careful aim and then up ended the bucket and its contents. Somehow, Thranduil sensed it coming and ducked to the right but it was too late as a strangely familiar red paste poured down onto him and his mount.
 
He heard something whistle past his head, then several splats and a loud thump followed by a gasp. He righted himself just as Legolas' horse dashed past him. He turned to see his son sprawled in the dirt with the bright red paste plastered across his chest and stomach.
 
The sound of someone laughing caught Thranduil's attention and he whirled in his saddled to gaze up at the source of the laughter. Glorfindel grinned brightly and waved a cheery hello. `I can't believe you held a grudge against me for seventy years!' he said furiously.
 
Glorfindel chuckled; Thranduil had certainly not changed since he had last seen him. `Well I'm not stupid,' said Glorfindel. `I know it was you who set the twins and Legolas up to play that prank on me right before you left and me being a Noldor and all, I would have thought you'd remember that we love a good prank but even better, a payback prank. I got the twins back years ago and have been waiting ever so patiently for you to come so that I may extract my revenge.'
 
`Why you little beast! When I get my hands on you, you won't be wearing just red paste but all the colours of the rainbow!' cried Thranduil in fury. Glorfindel just laughed and vanished into the branches.
 
* * *
 
And so it was that with great embarrassment, Thranduil had to ride into Rivendell with Legolas seated behind him and the remnants of the paste still covering him and his son. The twins were there to great them at the gateway and they laughed at the sight they saw then immediately took Legolas off to go and find Glorfindel then pay him back.
 
Thranduil had just blinked and hardly said a word for the twins had grown to be just as tall as he and as brave as their father. They had changed much, just as Glorfindel had thought with Legolas.
 
With a sigh, Thranduil steeled himself and rode on to the House of Elrond. He had told only Elrond, his family, Glorfindel and Erestor that he was coming so the guards on duty were quite surprised to see him and would have barred his way had not Elladan and Elrohir mentioned to them earlier that Thranduil was headed there way and that he was to be allowed entry. Fortunately, they did not know it was the King of Greenwood they spoke to else the news would have been all over Rivendell within hours.
 
* * *
 
Elrond smiled warmly as he caught sight of the twins and Legolas in hot pursuit of Glorfindel down near the kitchen gardens. It was too far to see Legolas, yet the elven Lord knew he would have changed much as his own sons had done. Turning his gaze away, he spotted Thranduil trotting into the courtyard, the same as ever and scowling furiously.
 
He chuckled to himself as he caught sight of the red paste smeared upon the elven lord. Glorfindel had been planning his prank for weeks ever since he had learned that Thranduil was coming though it appeared that he was now going to have to deal with the twins, Legolas and mayhap Thranduil later.
 
Elrond sighed peacefully, all was right in the world and Glorfindel had fulfilled his promise: that Legolas and Thranduil would return to Rivendell and see them all again.