Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ An Adventure Begins ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
An Adventure Begins
 
Legolas stared down at the man who had fallen onto him some few hours ago. Elrond had taken him to the healing wards where he'd gotten Legolas to help him treat the stranger's wounds.
 
Now the elven Lord was fast asleep along with the rest of the household. Elladan had offered to watch over the human when he'd learned of the incident but Legolas had surprised himself by jumping in and saying he would.
 
Legolas had heard many tales of the race of Men, some good but most of them bad. It was not that he was afraid of the human, merely curious. Elrond had said he was a Ranger. Legolas had heard of rangers but knew little of them. He knew there was a connection between them and the ancient race of the Númernoreans but that was as far as his knowledge went.
 
Now that he looked at the human, he found his curiosity piqued. He'd never met a human before yet they really didn't look that different from elves. The only major differences were that they were more solid, had facial hair, showed signs of age and didn't have the graceful elven ears that marked all elves. Other than that, it would have been easy to throw an elvish cloak over this man, trim off his beard and you'd never know.
 
What amused the Prince the most; was that this man slept with his eyes closed. Legolas had never seen that before and he found it rather humorous.
 
He studied the features of the man's face. He was young yet, only 23 years of age or so with tanned skin from years of walking out in the sun. His face was finely set, very elvish like in fact Elrond had said and it was framed by his long, unruly black hair, also showing signs of exposure to sunlight. It was uncommonly long for a man, roughly the same length as Legolas' own hair. As far as he knew, men preferred to keep their hair shoulder length or shorter. The man's garb, which had been removed and set aside to be washed and mended, was distinctly human but there was a certain elvish air about it.
 
Legolas was distracted from his wondering thoughts when the man suddenly shifted in his sleep and moaned. Slowly, his silver eyes opened and stared up into Legolas' face.
 
`Glorfindel?' he asked softly. Legolas reacted as he'd seen the healers do a thousand times before. `Nay, I am not he but Legolas Thranduillian. You are safe in the House of Elrond in Rivendell.' His heartbeat quickened slightly as he nervously wondered how the human would react but he need not have feared.
 
`Oh, that is good,' answered the human tiredly. `How do you feel?' asked Legolas hurriedly before the man could fall back asleep. `O.K. I suppose,' he replied. `Nothing a good lot of bed rest won't fix.'
 
Legolas sighed. The human was not as well as he seemed to think, however it was too late to argue now, as the man was already asleep.
 
Legolas decided to settle back, there would be no waking him till the morning. Idly he pondered how this human had come to know the great Balrog Slayer.
 
* * *
 
*CRASH!*
 
Legolas jerked awake and glanced warily around the room looking for the source of the noise. The young ranger was laid out on the floor, a basket of spilt bandages beside him.
 
Legolas leapt to his feet and rushed over to help the man back to bed. A low moan escaped his lips and Legolas gently picked him up and placed him back in bed, scolding him all the while for being out of bed.
 
Legolas had just finished pulling the covers of the bed up when the door cracked open and Elladan's sleepy face appeared.
 
He had a hard time not laughing at the sight. Elladan's normally neat hair was tousled and sticking up at odd angles, his eyes were still glazed and narrowed to slits with sleep and a long red line wound it's way up the side of his face from where it had been pressed into the folds of the pillow case. However, he managed to restrain himself.
 
`What's going on?' questioned Elladan. `Nothing,' replied Legolas. `Our patient decided he was all better now and that it was time to get out of bed is all.'
 
`I'm fine,' argued the ranger crossly from where he'd propped himself up against the headboard of the bed. Legolas snorted. `Sure you are,' he answered.
 
The ranger glared at Legolas but refused to comment. `What is your name?' asked Legolas eventually breaking the silence. `Blaen,' came the grumbled reply, `a Ranger of the North.'
 
`Ah,' said Elladan stepping into the room. `That would mean you're part of that new group that's been poking their noses about around this area. It would seem that you've discovered the local orc encampments in the High Pass of the Misty Mountains.'
 
He arched an eyebrow at Blaen, as if daring him to say otherwise. Blaen did not much like being under the scrutiny of these two elves and didn't hesitate in letting his annoyance show.
 
`How did you know to come here?' asked Elladan instead. Legolas sat down, he had a feeling that things were about to get interesting. It was clear that none in the House of Elrond had even told the race of Men of its existence though the stories certainly would have gotten out.
 
`I have heard the tales as rightly as anyone else has,' responded Blaen. `That is not much of an answer,' retorted Elladan smoothly.
 
Legolas simply watched in amusement at the change that had come over his friend. It was almost as if he'd turned into his father. Legolas had not thought Elladan capable of appearing so wise, dignified and sensible. After all, Legolas, like Blaen, had heard the tales of the hidden valley though of a different sort. His tales had been more in-depth such as the latest misadventure the twins had encountered. Both were developing quite a reputation as troublemakers.
 
`Perhaps the tale in full would be better,' suggested Elladan.
 
Blaen sighed and ran a hand through his long hair. `I'm presuming you know that we Rangers live in the wild and spend a lot of time hunting down stray orcs after the War of the Last Great Alliance,' began Blaen.
 
`Aye,' responded Elladan. `We elves have ever been the friends and allies of the Rangers in times of need.'
 
`Basically an orc band we ambushed fled from us and we pursued them north. We were caught out in a storm a few days ago by the orcs own ambush. Losing the battle at an alarming rate, the retreat was sounded and we scattered and were supposed to meet up again back at the beginning of the eastern path. For some odd reason I didn't.'
 
`We were nearly out of the Pass and I had heard tales of Lord Elrond and his healing skills. I had also heard the tales of the valley of Rivendell and desiring to see it for myself; I decided to look for it. I knew that fever would soon set in upon me and that I'd never make it back alive so I took a chance. Can you possibly imagine my surprise when I stumbled into your valley only two days later?' explained Blaen.
 
Elladan smiled, `Aye, I grew up here so I am used to it but I have often wondered what it would seem like to me if I was a stranger.'
 
`Never the less, I do not wish to intrude so I believe I will stay only a short time and then return to the Rangers. I'm sure they will be wondering where I have gotten too.'
 
Blaen paused, as if wanting to say more. Elladan didn't miss it and waited pointedly for him to continue.
 
`It's just…,' continued the human meekly. `I know that Lord Elrond is a great and powerful ally of the Númernoreans and their descendents yet the Valley of Rivendell is hidden from us and no man may enter it. Why is that so?'
 
Elladan sighed, `Lord Elrond has experienced much in life, far more that either I or you will ever know. His life is complicated and sometimes I wonder how he manages to get through each and every day. I think after he built this place and particularly the war, he desired nothing more than peace and quiet. Eventually Men will be allowed back into the Valley of Rivendell but for now, it will remain merely a story. You are welcome to return of course but I would appreciate it if you would not tell anyone of where you have been.'
 
Blaen nodded solemnly as he digested that information. `It shall be as you wish,' he replied.
 
Elladan nodded, `Good. Now I do believe that my bed is calling me,' he said leaping up. He flashed the two a quick grin then left the room at in three quick strides, the door closing with a bang behind him.
 
Blaen stared with surprise after the elf. Legolas laughed at the young Ranger's expression. `Is he always like that?' asked Blaen incredulously, meaning Elladan's abrupt personality change.
 
Legolas could only shrug his shoulders. `I do not know,' he replied honestly. `I have only met him once when he and I were much younger and did not see him again till yesterday morning when my father and I returned to visit him and his family.' `Oh,' replied Blaen.
 
`Get some rest,' ordered Legolas, `I'll see you later.' Blaen sighed and laid back. He loathed bed rest.
 
* * *
 
Blaen wasn't allowed out of bed till the next evening. Legolas didn't miss a thing as his sharp eyes watched the human shooting looks at Glorfindel throughout dinner but also Lord Elrond who the human had met for the first time.
 
Elladan was no where in sight but Legolas knew that Elladan had been up to no good that morning and had been given kitchen duties for the evening.
 
Blaen suddenly cleared his throat and looked to Elrond. `I'd like to thank you for your kind hospitality Lord Elrond and your marvelous healing skills else I would not be here tonight.'
 
Elrond smiled, his grey eyes filled with warmth, `You are most welcome Blaen.'
 
The ranger nodded politely in reply. `Yes, however, I would like to get back to my troop as quickly as possible. They will be worried about me as I was supposed to meet them today.'
 
`That is fine,' replied Elrond. `You may leave in two days hence.'
 
`I don't know if that's such a good idea Elrond,' said Celebrian gently. `He should at least have someone accompany him so as to make sure that he makes it safely back,' she continued `He is not a child,' explained Elrond softly. `I know and I would only ever treat him as man because that is what he is. I was merely concerned for his injury and weakened state.'
 
`We can not spare anyone Celebrian. The orcs are keeping the warriors busy, Thranduil is our guest as well as Legolas plus he and the twins are too young and I, Erestor and Glorfindel are snowed under in paperwork.' `But surely paperwork can wait can't it?' argued Celebrian.
 
Legolas watched as the argument went back and forth and back and forth. Finally a voice rose above the others and Legolas was once again, surprised to discover that it was his own. `I will go with him.'
 
The table quieted and turned to look at the young Prince. `Legolas you are too young,' said Elrond in exasperation.
 
`No one else can go and I am more that old enough not to mention that I am adequately capable with the bow and my knives. I can look after myself,' answered Legolas firmly.
 
`Is this true?' asked Elrond to Thranduil. The King seemed to want to say something in defense but finally sighed in defeat. `Legolas is one of the best with the bow and he is also extremely alert and responsible. However,' continued Thranduil turning to his son. `We are here as guests, it is not your duty to escort the Ranger back to his men.' `But I want to,' interrupted Legolas.
 
`Are you sure Legolas? This will be dangerous going through orc infested lands with someone you barely know,' said Elrond.
 
`My mind is made up,' responded Legolas.
 
Elrond sighed. `Very well, you have my leave but only if your father says so. I will not step in on this matter.'
 
Legolas looked to his father along with the rest of the room. Blaen felt extremely uncomfortable under all the fuss he'd caused but he did not feel that he should step in.
 
`Fine,' grunted Thranduil sourly. `But if you come back with even a single scratch on you then you'll be confined to your bed for a month, understand?'
 
Legolas nodded and grinned. He was too pleased to take offense at his father's warning.
 
With that matter settled, the rest of the table returned to their dinner.