Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ Awakenings ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8
 
Awakenings
 
He was drifting, drifting in a deep ocean of darkness and he felt nothing more then a gentle numbness. Occasionally his world went grey and soft words would come to his ears but they were so distant that he could not make them out.
 
Three times this happened before awareness faded altogether.
 
He woke.
 
His body ached and his mind felt sluggish and weak. Soft voices reached his ears and gradually, the darkness gave way to blurry figures.
 
He was lying on something soft, a bed most likely and the words that he could hear being spoken were in Western and not in Elvish thus meaning that he was most likely in the company of men his brain decided.
 
Whoever they were, they did not yet appear to have noticed that Legolas' eyes were no longer glassy but focused and blinked occasionally although, his eyes were the subject of the conversation.
 
`Tis not natural for anyone to do that, their eyes open and everything,' said a male voice away to Legolas' right. `But he's an elf Beren of which we know very little and it is most likely a natural thing for them to do. Look at the poor wee lad, he's lucky to have survived that fall into the river what with all those broken bones. If old Kilth hadn't been visiting I don't know how we would have set them all,' answered a gentle female voice to the male who Legolas guessed was Beren.
 
Idly he wondered how bad he looked. He had to be a mess but he must have been out for several days already if all he felt was rather achy and sore. That was a clear signal that he was probably healing well.
 
His thoughts turned back to his flight down the underground stream. He still couldn't believe he was alive. He shouldn't be, but he was. He didn't remember much, just the rushing and the throwing of the river and then nothing.
 
Slowly he turned his head to the right. It seemed he was on a low lying pallet and Beren and the woman he assumed was his wife were seated in front of the fire. The couple was only young with a daughter barely eight years old cuddled in the woman's arms, fast asleep. Leaning against the father's legs was a youth slightly older than his sister at about twelve with a messy crop of brown hair, a splattering of freckles across his face and a long skinny frame.
 
Not wishing to intrude upon the family's moment, Legolas turned his face back to the ceiling but the movement was a little too quick and attracted the attention of Beren.
 
Legolas heard his chair move and the sound of footsteps. He closed his eyes with a sigh. His brain was much too sluggish and he did not wish to talk at the moment.
 
A shadow fell across his face and he knew Beren was standing over him. The young man reached down and felt his forehead. Legolas felt obliged to open his eyes and stared silently at Beren.
 
The young man looked a little nervous but caring at the same time, with the same unruly crop of hair as his son, warm green eyes and a full beard. `How you feeling lad?' he questioned as he sat down on a small stool beside Legolas' low pallet. `Sore but I believe I will heal,' answered Legolas, his voice a little croaky.
 
`Don't try to sit up lad,' warned Beren as he reached for a flask nearby. `Your ribs are broken and I don't want to risk upsetting them.'
 
Legolas obeyed and allowed Beren to lift up his head and press the bottle to his lips. Not realising how thirsty he had been, Legolas drained the flask and another after that. The water was a little stale but he didn't mind.
 
`What happened?' asked Legolas. `Well we found you on the bank not far from here. Seems you'd floated ashore and me and old Kilth who was with me, well, I won't lie to you lad. We considered just leaving you there. Elves aren't much trusted in these parts and of course stories and rumors abound but we eventually decided that you'd done naught wrong to us and picked you up and carried you back here. You've been out for nearly four days,' replied Beren.
 
`I see,' murmured Legolas. He hadn't realised that relations between men and elves were so bad that he'd almost been left to die. It hurt Legolas because he never would have considered doing that to anyone else. Still, he could forgive Beren for his ignorance because at least he had done the right thing in the end. Legolas shuddered to think that his life had so very nearly been lost.
 
`The banks of what?' asked Legolas remembering the conversation. `Why the Anduin of course,' smiled Beren. `Well, one of the tributaries that runs into it anyway.'
 
`Of course,' continued Beren, `Kilth and I thought you were dead when we found you with your eyes open but when we saw that you still drew breath and your chest rose and fell then we decided we just might have to do something about that.'
 
Beren and Legolas where interrupted by the approach of Beren's son. `Are you real Master Elf?' asked the young boy kneeling beside his father. `Of course,' laughed Legolas. The look of pure curiosity upon the boy's face had surprised Legolas.
 
`What is your name?' he ventured further. `Legolas,' answered Legolas, `what is yours?' `It is Bethal,' answered the child smiling tentatively. `That is a fine name,' replied Legolas sincerely with a small smile. `And I am Beren,' answered Beren, `and it is time for you to sleep Master Legolas and allow yourself time to heal.' `That is good,' murmured Legolas laying back. He really was tired and some more rest would do him no harm.
 
Gradually the dim firelight faded into darkness and Legolas heard nothing more till dawn.
 
* * *
 
Legolas awoke to the stillness of first light. He could hear the soft sounds of the family beginning to stir and for the moment he lay enjoying the peace and quiet of the dawn.
 
Half an hour later and there was no more peace to be had. Ethina, Beren's wife, bustled about the kitchen cooking breakfast for Bethal and his younger sister Rina.
 
Beren had already left for the morning leaving Legolas almost totally to himself except for the occasional question from Rina or Bethal. That in mind, the elven prince insisted on sitting up and eating his breakfast by himself.
 
The act in itself was rather painful and Legolas' ribs jolted glaringly but he was determined to do that one small feat.
 
He spent the remainder of the day insisting that Ethina give him odd jobs such as peeling apples or sharpening her kitchen knives for her. Come the evening, Legolas was exhausted and fell asleep without even a bite of dinner.
 
The next several days carried on in this process with Legolas doing odd jobs trying to earn his keep and recover enough so that he could soon leave. He worried about Blaen and hoped that the young ranger had not fallen into any trouble.
 
Every night he went to bed exhausted and without his dinner and every morning Ethina scolded him for his disregard to his own health and ensured that he had an extra large breakfast to make up for his missed meal.
 
Ethina and the children quickly adapted to his presence and enjoyed his company and tales. Beren was slower to adjust as he only spent time with Legolas during the evenings and for a little while in the morning. Still, Legolas found himself readily accepted into the family as time passed and found it a relief to think that Beren had found him and not some other unfavourable type of person.
 
Legolas however, was very careful not to alarm the family too much with his unusual traits. He healed much more quickly than humans and four weeks after he had come to the family's cottage he could have begun walking again but he pretended that he could not for another week. He also kept his age, wisdom and physical strength to himself not wishing to show up Blaen in front of his family.
 
The fact that he glowed softly and slept with his eyes open was the only traits he allowed the family to see as they already knew this although he made an effort to keep his natural elven light to a minimum and sleep with his eyes closed where he could.
 
Eventually however, when six weeks had passed Legolas realised that he must soon get moving. He was quite healed now and he didn't doubt that his father and many others would be wondering what may have become of him or even worse, fear him to be dead.
 
That evening as they gathered round the fire like usual, Legolas sorted through his pack and pulled out several figures that he had whittled himself.
 
First came a small playing kitten, its wooden eyes alive with curiosity for Rina who reminded him so much of a kitten with her curious ways and young innocence.
 
To Bethal he gave a galloping wooden horse. Bethal never stopped running and he loved nothing better than being outdoors flying through the morning sunshine.
 
Ethina received a duck because of her plump frame and cheerful, gossiping nature.
 
Finally, he gifted Beren with an eagle for Legolas felt that the man had the ability to see things from a different line of sight as the eagle does and was indeed, a strong woodcutter possessing the wisdom of his trade just as the eagle was mighty and possessed the wisdom of the heavens.
 
`I hardly know what to say,' murmured Beren when Legolas handed him his gift. `Say only thank you and that I am free of my debt to you,' replied Legolas with a warm smile. Beren smiled back at the elf and murmured his thanks.
 
`I wouldn't be alive today if it were not for you and if you should ever need of my aid ask one of elven kind for Legolas; they will know who I am. Give them this also,' added Legolas as he passed them the brooch which had previously held his cloak in place. He had lost his cloak in his first underground swim but somehow the brooch had caught on his clothing and he had kept it ever since. It was the only thing that would identify him as the Prince of Greenwood to another elf that did not know him by sight.
 
Beren was stunned but he grinned and hugged Legolas, careful of his still tender ribs.
 
`All right,' said Ethina swinging into her natural mother mode. `It is time for us all to be off to bed. Legolas you will have a long journey ahead of you tomorrow and we've all got our own usual chores and what not to attend to now move along,' she commanded when Rina and Bethal complained loudly and begged their father to let them stay. Laughing, Beren told them to obey their mother else he would be the one in trouble.
 
Clucking like an angry hen at her husband's remark she picked Rina up and shooed Bethal ahead of her into the family's adjoining rooms.
 
Beren moved to follow but Legolas caught his arm before he could leave. `I meant what I said,' explained Legolas softly at Beren's frowning question. `You and any of your children and any of their descendents may ask for my help.'
 
Beren did not answer for a moment then hesitantly asked, `Legolas what do you mean.' Legolas only smiled cryptically and answered, `exactly what I said, anyone can ask for my help if they are a part of your family so long as they have proof of this, present my brooch and their cause is just. Now, it is late. Go to sleep Beren and think no more of this but do not forget what I said.'
 
That said, Legolas released Beren and moved back to his pallet. For a moment Beren stood where Legolas had held him before shaking off the unusual words the elf had said and following his wife and children.
 
Legolas smiled slightly to himself as he watched the man go. He was sure that Beren and his descendents would puzzle over his words in the years to come.