Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ Double Trouble ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 12
 
Double Trouble
 
`Elladan!' called Elrohir desperately.
 
He tried again but if the elder twin could hear him then he wasn't answering.
 
Elrohir tried again and again but nothing drifted up out of the fog below. He continued calling his brother's name until the breath had left his lungs and his throat was too raw to continue before he collapsed back against the mountain path, sobs shaking his entire body.
 
Elladan could not be gone, it just wasn't logical. Elladan had always been there and with sickening clarity, Elrohir realised how easily he had taken his sibling for granted.
 
When at last Elrohir's sobs vanished and only silence lingered, Elrohir became aware of another presence. The sound of footsteps gradually replaced the silence in the gathering twilight and Elrohir rose, alarmed at the guttural voices coming from around the bend ahead.
 
Swiftly he drew his sword, the blade hissing slightly as it came loose from the sheath. Whatever was coming Elrohir had to be prepared, he was the sole heir of Lord Elrond now and his death could little be afforded.
 
He paused, his own thoughts shocking him slightly but in his heart Elrohir knew he was right. He had to return home and report what had happened. The missing Prince was no longer the most important priority concerning Imladris now.
 
As he had anticipated, it was not friend but foe that came around the bend.
 
A horde of mountain goblins did and they wasted little time in moving to attack their prey. Several of the beasts sprang up onto the side of the mountain and tried to attack Elrohir from above but he quickly dispatched them and they withdrew, now more wary of the raven haired elf.
 
Elrohir watched his foes, waiting for them to make their next move.
 
The second attack was direct as they tried to overwhelm the taller elf by sheer numbers and Elrohir desperately realised it was working. A pair of long knives would have been ideal because Elrohir quickly realised his sword was much too long to be wielded with deadly efficiency on the narrow mountain path: the wall on his left too easily hampered the long blade.
 
Two beasts pressed forward and a third leapt over top only to be instantly skewered on his blade. Though small, the goblin was heavy and Elrohir struggled to get the goblin off. In that amount of time, the others pressed forward again.
 
Elrohir shoved one off the path but with his blade caught, he was an easy target as the beasts swarmed at him, knocking him flat on his back. Blows fell quickly and Elrohir flinched as they raked their claws across his skin, tearing flesh. One beast even had the gall to swipe right down the left side of his face leaving three shallow cuts which bled sluggishly but continuously. Elrohir managed to punch the offending creature hard before he was socked in the stomach. Elrohir cried out as the breath left his lungs and he was quickly subdued.
 
Bound thus, he was dragged kicking and struggling back along the mountain path. He watched his sword, still imbedded in the creature, disappear from sight.
 
`Cut it out you white spawn!' roared one of the goblins cuffing him hard. Stunned slightly, Elrohir did not struggle for several footsteps but as they approached the cave the twins had planned to spend the night in, Elrohir quickly realised that it had actually since become a goblin lair as he was dragged into it. `No wonder they had found him,' fumed Elrohir, `it was because they had heard him.'
 
Just inside the entrance Elrohir began to struggle wildly, knocking one goblin so hard he back peddled out of the cave and fell, screaming off the mountain path. The noise jarred Elrohir's ears but he ignored it.
 
Furious at another goblin being killed on his behalf, one of the remaining goblins raised his club and smacked it hard against Elrohir's temple. Elrohir immediately crumpled, unconsciousness niggling at his mind. Elrohir struggled to fight it but gradually it claimed him and he finally lay still.
 
* * *
 
Erestor paused in his work, leaning back to stretch his stiff muscles. The last rays of sunlight filtered through from outside to leave his study basking in a comfortable golden glow. He had been working hard of late and he decided that tonight he would not linger in his office but join the festivities in the Hall of Fire.
 
Standing, he left the study at a gentle stroll, determined not to rush but to enjoy the peace. He encountered Glorfindel at the head of the stairway and he had to admit that Glorfindel looked exhausted. The golden haired elf had been heading the search parties for Legolas and had obviously returned to report and `knowing him,' mused Erestor, depart straight back into the wilds not even an hour after he'd made his report.
 
`Good evening Glorfindel,' said Erestor politely. `Well met Erestor,' replied Glorfindel tiredly, his face drawn. `How fare's the search?' he asked. Glorfindel sighed, `not good. No sign since we breached the pass and headed towards the Anduin.'
 
Erestor noted with sympathy the defeat in the other's eyes and seeking to rekindle hope, Erestor uncharacteristically clasped Glorfindel on the shoulder. Surprised, Glorfindel turned his head to meet the scholar's dark eyes.
 
`You will find him mellon nin. Have faith and the Valar shall reward you,' said Erestor.
 
The simple words touched Glorfindel and he clasped the other elf in return. `Hannon le.'
 
Erestor watched Glorfindel leave then turned and headed downstairs. In that time the sun had set and already Erestor could hear the music and song beginning to flow from the Hall.
 
* * *
 
Celebrian laughed as Elrond finally got his way and whirled her out onto the dance floor with the others. Her heart had been heavy of late and she had not felt like dancing but now that she was, she was pleased for the distraction from her worried thoughts.
 
Elrond smirked at her, satisfied that he had accomplished his goal. As a new song began, he easily led her through the complicated steps of the dance with years born of practice.
 
The song ended and Elrond led her into another and another before finally retiring to one of the comfortable chairs place around the edge of the Hall together, gasping and laughing like children.
 
Erestor watched the two from where he was seated near the fire itself. The head minstrel, Lindir, had done well decided Erestor. Sensing the mood of the elves gathered tonight, he had played some of his finest music in an attempt to cheer the tense atmosphere. So far, he was succeeding.
 
Erestor frowned, suddenly noticing that Elrond had stood, his face pale and tight as he stepped out into the gardens, Celebrian remaining seated with the other ladies, not yet having noted her husband's absence.
 
He rose and quickly followed the other.
 
The air was cool outside hinting at a storm away to the west. In the dimness, it was not easy to spot Lord Elrond but he gradually noted him standing some distance away beneath an old willow.
 
Erestor approached quietly until he drew level with his lord and silently waited for Elrond to speak. As he had suspected, Elrond did not answer Erestor's unspoken question for some time but eventually said, `I was falling.' Erestor did not say anything but waited for Elrond to continue knowing he would in his own time.
 
Elrond's visions were rare but usually of high significance and Erestor did not doubt that this one had been important enough to warrant the troubled expression upon his face.
 
`What else happened?' ventured Erestor. `It is hard to say,' explained Elrond softly. `I was just falling. There was snow, it must have been in a mountain range or else the vision still comes from somewhere in the near future but I am not sure. Still, it brings an ill feeling to my soul and troubles my heart.'
 
Erestor nodded thoughtfully. `Well without further information we can not really act upon it,' said Erestor. `It grows late my Lord,' continued Erestor. `Go to bed, I will tell Celebrian where you have gone.'
 
Elrond sighed, `you are right as always mellon nin. I will see you on the morrow.'
 
* * *
 
Neither Erestor nor Elrond noted the presence of another as they returned indoors.
 
Detaching himself from the shadows, Blaen breathed a sigh of relief. He had thought he would be found out for certain when the two elves had entered the gardens but they had been too busy to notice him and Blaen had waited with baited breath as they talked quietly for several minutes before returning indoors.
 
Hoisting his pack onto his shoulders, Blaen threaded his way quickly through the gardens, keeping to the shadows on his way to the far wall. He reached it with no mishaps before slipping quietly through the side gate situated there.
 
The stables were quiet and deserted so Blaen quickly selected one of the older horses, a black mare and left a note tacked to her stall explaining where the animal had disappeared to.
 
He had not liked the thought of sneaking in and taking one of the Rivendell horses like a thief in the night but he knew he had been expressly forbidden by Lord Elrond to leave. Thus, Blaen had decided that stealth was his only option. He did not like disobeying Lord Elrond but he could no longer abide the comfort of the House of Elrond while the prince still remained out in the wilds, possibly injured or worse.
 
His leg pained him slightly but was a minor concern. So long as he was careful the stitches wouldn't tear credit to the small split he'd bandaged to his leg to keep it still. He was more apprehensive about his shoulder.
 
The arrow injury which had brought him to Rivendell in the first place had healed but was still stiff and would make defending himself difficult no matter what weapon he used.
 
Mounting up, he guided the mare out of the stables and over the bridge which crossed the Bruinen. It was a clear night and Blaen's eyes immediately sought out the familiar constellations in the night time sky.
 
`Important message?' enquired a soft voice. Blaen cursed himself internally; of course the guards would wonder why he was leaving Rivendell at this time of night.
 
`Aye,' he responded giving his voice a smoother edge and making sure his hood concealed most of his face. He hoped that the guard would mistake him for one of elven kind so that he could be on his way quickly.
 
He could not see the other well in the shadows of the night and hoped it would be the same for him.
 
`Travel safely then mellon.' `Hannon le,' replied Blaen, grateful he at least knew the elvish dialect for thank you.
 
The guard made no further moves and Blaen slipped away into the night.