Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ Legolas and the Rangers ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: OK, just a little survey cause I'm mean and I'm wondering what you guys have to say on this when you finish reading the epilogue.
 
1. What did you like the most about my fic?
 
2. Which scene(s) do you think is/are always going to remain with you?
 
3. What (and I really want you guys to answer this one the most) do you think needs
correcting or working on in future?
 
Epilogue
 
Legolas shivered slightly in the brisk morning air. Frost coated the plants and courtyard from one side to the other. Pulling his cloak back into place so his bare skin wasn't exposed, Legolas again attempted to break up the conversation between his father and Erestor. They had a long day ahead of them and it was time to be moving off.
 
`Yes just a minute Legolas,' snapped Thranduil irritably as Legolas tried to butt in again. `I won't be seeing Erestor for some time and I need to finish this.'
 
Legolas rolled is eyes and turned away from the heated debate concerning the distance between the Pass and Greenwood.
 
Roving his eye over the assembled elves, Legolas spotted Elladan standing on the balcony above, also in a fierce argument it seemed as he tried to persuade Elrohir that he was well enough to go down to the courtyard and say goodbye.
 
Groaning, Legolas turned his face away again and tried to find someone that was not arguing or busy. Even Lord Elrond seemed to be having some disagreement with the Lady Celebrian.
 
`Well I supposed this is it,' announced a voice beside him. Turning, he smiled with relief to find a relatively carefree ranger. `Ai, thank the Valar,' murmured Legolas. `I did not think anyone had actually come to say goodbye.'
 
Arching an eyebrow Blaen answered, `well technically I'm not saying goodbye yet.' Legolas sighed. `I know but you and I seem to be the only ones ready to leave.'
 
It was true. If you were not arguing then you were a part of the escort and currently following Glorfindel's orders. The golden haired warrior was already mounted up and directing a company of twenty elven soldiers about the courtyard, bellowing in every direction possible.
 
`At any rate,' grumbled one of the warriors hurrying past and catching the tail end of the conversation, `Glorfindel will get things moving quickly once he's sure we're all ready.'
 
The two laughed as they watched the other slip away into the crowds. `Ai, he would be right,' said Legolas. Having finally recovered from his cold a week ago, Glorfindel seemed to have taken life by the throat and was determined to get things back to normal as quickly as possible.
 
Several minutes elapsed as the two talked together when suddenly, Glorfindel's voice echoed across the courtyard as he ordered his company to mount up. Instantly Thranduil and Erestor stopped arguing, shook hands and turned to face Lord Elrond as he hurried over, Celebrian in tow and looking remarkably cross.
 
Legolas and Blaen watched as Thranduil and Elrond shook hands before leaning in closer and exchanging a few soft words which, to Legolas' amusement, made his father sort and Elrond smile rather grimly.
 
Abruptly an angry yell came from above and Legolas quickly saw why. Tired of being told no, Elladan had ignored his brother's argument and leapt straight over the balcony railing. He landed and stumbled but regained his balance though Legolas saw that it had obviously hurt the elder twin as his face paled and he flinched slightly upon straightening up.
 
Elrohir was beside him instantly and hissing angry words into Elladan's ear. The elder twin seemed to brush off the threats though and moved into the courtyard, wishing well the soldiers and shaking hands, a seething Elrohir just behind.
 
`Well I'd best be moving along,' said Blaen with a meaningful smile at Legolas. Legolas smiled and also mounted up as Blaen returned to the rest of the rangers, just as Lord Elrond approached Legolas.
 
`Well it seems your stay has being anything but peaceful,' stated Elrond. Legolas grinned. `Certainly I'd have to agree but it was exciting,' replied Legolas. Elrond laughed, `as it should be.'
 
Beaming at one another, the two shook hands before Elrond stepped back, allowing the twins to take his place.
 
`Well I must say you led us a merry chase Legolas,' announced Elladan. `Yes,' answered Legolas. `I think I came out of it all the better off then either of you though,' he replied shooting a small smirk at Elrohir who scowled ferociously.
 
`You'll get what's yours in the end,' replied Elrohir. `Ai,' answered Elladan suddenly teaming up with his brother. `Hey that's not fair Elladan,' whined Legolas. `Of course it's not,' he replied smiling, `but as much as I hate to admit it, he is my brother and somebody has to stand up for him.'
 
`Why you!' snarled Elrohir shooting daggers at his twin. Elladan laughed and held up his hands in a gesture of peace. `Come now brother, you love me really,' he said. `That's what you think,' grumbled Elrohir.
 
Laughing, the three were suddenly interrupted by Glorfindel again who gave the order to move out. Slowly, the warriors started to trickle out of the courtyard.
 
`Goodbye and good luck Legolas,' said Elladan hastily clasping his arm in a gesture of farewell. `Stay out of trouble,' added Elrohir also clasping Legolas on the arm.
 
Legolas arched an eyebrow in reply, `since when have I gone looking for trouble?' The twins looked at one another and sighed. `Need we remind you who it was exactly that hid a mysterious and dangerous criminal in their room when they were only ten?' `I was but a child,' sniffed Legolas. `I didn't know any better.' `Whatever you say,' laughed Elladan.
 
`Legolas! Come on,' called Thranduil. Wheeling his horse and causing the twins to hastily step back, Legolas turned and hurried after his father.
 
`You will so pay for that,' yelled Elrohir at the retreating elf's back. Laughing, Legolas looked back over his shoulder and called, `we shall see Elrohir. I won't forget that the memories of the Noldor are long next time!'
 
`You just wait!' called Elladan but whatever reply there might have been was lost on the wind.
 
0-0-0-0-0-0
 
`So,' drawled Blaen pulling his horse back alongside Legolas'. `Will there be any singing this time?'
 
Legolas grinned, `why? Do you have a particular request?' `You're impossible,' said Blaen throwing his hands up in exasperation.
 
`Pipe down back there,' called Glorfindel from the head of the line. `I don't want to have to come back there and separate the pair of you.'
 
The two friends laughed. `Actually,' began Blaen. `I do have a request. Tell me how it is that you came to learn of the long memory of the Noldor elves.'
 
Legolas groaned, `you do not want to know.'
 
Blaen grinned, knowing he had struck a good story. `Oh well then, I'll ask Glorfindel.'
 
`Don't you dare,' said Legolas reaching sideways to grab Blaen but he was too late as the ranger cried out the party leader's name before Legolas clamped a firm hand around his mouth.
 
`What is it?' called Glorfindel dropping back. Legolas groaned and slumped back onto his horse, releasing Blaen as the ranger laughed with triumph.
 
In that moment, Legolas decided it was going to be a very long trip.
 
The End
 
(for now)
 
Author's Note: Gosh! That was so hard to write! Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the journey so far. Next on the agenda I will be writing a cooperative story with Rebell though I have no idea what the story will be about. `Happy Ester Legolas' is on my list to receive a major revamp so watch out for that and I'm also going to do a serious about face turn and try my hand at writing a `Sailor Moon' fanfic as well. I just can't seem to get it out of my mind lately so hopefully by writing a fic I'll get it out of my system.
 
Anyway, till we meet again,
 
Randa-Chan* October 2006