Lord Of The Rings Fan Fiction ❯ The Rifleman ❯ Meet Sargeant Rochben ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
do not own Lord of the Rings or any of it’s characters
I do ,however, own all OC’s that appear

This is not technically a self-insertion. While many of Rochben’s mannerisms, as with most of my characters, are based on my own he also possesses some attributes from other people I’ve met.

I apologize in advance for any grammar snafus. I could really care less about grammar so grammar Nazis will be ignored. Flame if you must.

The Rifleman
Chapter 1: Meet Sergeant Rochben

“So you don’t remember anything?” Asked Frodo.

“For the last time No! Not my name, not my place of origin, not my age, not one damn thing! All I can remember is that I’m not from here.” Responded the nameless young man.

“Well that is a bit of a debacle isn’t it?” Said Gandalf

“No kidding” Said the young man sarcastically.

Just days before the young man had woken up in the middle of a forest with no memory of who or where he was. His only clues were a tag with his picture on it with the words “SAS Shooting Range” printed across the top. Conveniently, there was no name on the tag, just a bar code. Also the jacket he was wearing had a place for a name but all it had was “SSG“, or “Staff Sergeant”, and then a blank . He’d also found a .303 Enfield rifle with two five round stripper clips lying next to him and various other smaller objects in his coat. The young man had wandered into the Shire and collapsed in front the house of one Frodo Baggins who promptly took him in. Several days later an elderly man in a gray robes and a matching pointy hat arrived. He busted into Frodo’s place yammering about something being “secret and safe.” The young man hid just outside the door, listening intently. They spoke at length about a “ring” and the “end of the world” and some guy called “Sauron.” They then spoke of taking the One Ring to Rivendel to keep it safe. Moments later the old man, who the young man now knew was named Gandalf, discovered Samwise lurking outside a nearby window. Gandalf gave Sam what fore and guilted him into accompanying Frodo to Rivendel. Young man was feeling pretty proud of himself for not getting caught when he heard a tapping on the frame of the door. “You can come out too, whoever you are” the wizard said in gruff voice. “Crap” the young man thought to himself.

Which brings us back to the current conversation, young man having explained his situation to everyone present.

“Well if you want to find answers Rivendel is a better place to start then the Shire” advised Gandalf.

“Rivendel huh? What kind of city is it?” the young man asked.

“It’s elvish” Said Samwise

“Pardon?”

“You know, elves.”

“No actually I don’t know”

“Oh”

“By the way” Interrupted Gandalf “we should probably work on getting you an actual name. You know, just temporarily so you have some semblance of identity”

“Yeah that’s a good idea.” the young man said as Gandalf looked through some books on a nearby shelf “So how are you gonna do it? I’m sure you’ve some kind of mysterious divination power to kind of sort it out, right?”

“Actually I was just going to choose a random name out of this book”

“Ah, well I guess that works too”

“Now let’s see” Gandalf said to himself “which name best suites you hm? Ah! Here we are! How about Rochben? Sounds good right?”

“Rochben huh…. Sure, that sounds good to me.”

“Very well. Henceforth you shall be known as Rochben” Proclaimed Gandalf with a big smile on his face.

Sam and Frodo patted Rochben on the back congratulating him for his new name.

Gandalf spoke up “Now if you could just come over here so I can speak to you privately” Gandalf pulled Rochben aside into the next room. “What’s up?” he asked. “Does that weapon of yours really do what you say?” asked Gandalf curiously. “Well yeah” Rochben answered, unslinging his rifle and holding it out in front of him. “The problem is I only have ten rounds to use.”

“Here take this” Gandalf said, shoving a small leather bag into his hand “It will duplicate whatever object is first placed in it”

“’Nuff said” Rochben said, throwing his two remaining clips into the bag. “Anything else?”

“I’m placing the well being of Samwise and Frodo in your hands. You must ensure that they safely reach Rivendel, along with the One Ring. Go with them to the Inn of the Prancing Pony and wait for me there”

“Hm…. Well I guess that sounds simple enough” Rochben grunted “Wait, your not coming?”

“No, I have business to attend to in Isengard. Do not worry, Frodo knows the way.”

“It’s not the directions I’m worried about, it’s what we’re gonna run into whilst following said direction.”

“Just remember to stay off the roads once you leave the Shire and you should be fine.”

Gandalf gave Rochben a pack with food and maps should he become separated from Sam and Frodo and lose his way. He then prepared the entire group for the trip, giving them strict instructions. Frodo pocketed the Ring, which Rochben was still having a hard time figuring why it was so dangerous, and they set out on their way.

As Sam and Frodo strolled in front of him Rochben got the distinct feeling that he had just involved himself in something that would turn out to be fair more complicated then a simple trip from point A to point B. Well he would just have to make the most of it.