Love Hina Fan Fiction / Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Love Hina: Once Again ❯ Chapter 18

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Love Hina: Once Again
Seventeen

Kanako Urashima felt oddly shy as the black haired young woman pushed open the door to the shop, the bell above the door softly chiming. “Welcome,” the boyish young woman behind the counter called out cheerfully.

Visiting Tokyo was a treat Kanako only occasionally allowed herself, and this visit to Shinjuku and Ikebukuru was a new experience. Her first stop had been to the infamous 'Otome Road' in Ikebukuru where she had furtively purchased several yuri and yaoi dojinshi. Lunch was taken at a popular maid cafe, and Kanako had been distracted by the mental image of the cafe Hinata staff all dressed in maid outfits. One of the maids noticed her blush and winked at her impishly, making Kanako blush even harder.

“Anything I can help you find?” the woman asked as Kanako looked around the Shinjuku based alternative bookstore.

“Ah...,” Kanako hesitated shyly. Ordering books on lesbians had been easier on-line, especially when she wasn't dealing with a young woman Kanako considered rather handsome. 'She looks a bit like Kitsune,' she admitted, taking in her short black hair, t-shirt and stylish pants.

“I won't bite,” the young woman promised with a gentle smile.

Kanako found herself smiling back as she admitted to her, “I'm looking for the lesbian publishers, please.”

“Right this way,” the clerk answered as she walked Kanako to a set of shelves over to the side. “I'm Shana,” she added as they reached the books.

“Kanako,” she introduced herself, amused by the young woman's unconscious charm. She pointed out several books she had enjoyed, then hesitated. “Yes?” Kanako asked.

Shana actually blushed a bit as she admitted, “We have a few more books up behind the counter, but they're somewhat more... erotic.”

“Ah,” Kanako felt herself blush slightly too. “I'd like to look at them later,” she admitted.

“The latest magazines are over here,” Shana said as she excused herself, the bell above the door signaling another customer entering.

Kanako occupied herself with flipping through books, skimming through summaries and a few pages until she picked out three. Then she looked over the magazines, noting several yuri quarterlies and a literary dojin or two. Flipping through them she found a short story collection, several of which sounded interesting, then blinked as she recognized a name in the table of contents.

'Motoko Aoyama?!' Kanako blinked, rather stunned to see the quiet, intense swordwoman's name in the authors' list. Without thinking about it too much she added the magazine to her pile, then decided to talk to the cashier again.

“Made your picks?” Shana asked as Kanako set the books down on the counter.

“Pretty much,” Kanako agreed. “Could I see those other books you mentioned?” she asked with a faint blush.

Shana got the more adult books out, passing them over with a smile. Deciding it might be tactful not to disturb Kanako she let her look through them on her own, eventually picking one out of the stack. “Shall I ring them up?” she asked.

“Please,” Kanako nodded, glad that the woman was maintaining a casual tone. 'Though I guess she's used to it by now,' she thought.

“How long have you been interested in women?” Shana asked her gently as she rang through all the books and magazines. Her instinct was that Kanako was new to the whole scene, but she wanted to be sure.

“Not very,” Kanako admitted. “I'm still coming to grips with the whole idea.”

Suddenly a cat stuck it's head out of the bag she carried, looking around curiously. “Where's the catnip?” Kuro asked.

“Later,” Kanako ordered the cat firmly.

“It talks?” Shana blinked.

Kanako winked at her as she said dryly, “Ventriloquism.”

“Right,” Shana smiled, giving her a skeptical look. “Anyway,” she said briskly as Kanako paid and she put the items in a bad, “there's a new women's only nightclub in the area you might be interested in.”

Kanako looked rather intrigued, “Really?”

“Arisugawa's Locket,” Shana smiled, “I can give you the address if you like.”

“Thank you,” Kanako agreed.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

“Juri?” Utena blinked in surprise as the tall, orange haired woman was lead to their room in the Hinata dorm. The pink haired woman had been visiting the dorm regularly, almost living there with her girlfriend Anthy.

“Thought I'd see how you two are doing,” Juri nodded respectfully after she thanked Su.

“Have fun,” Su smiled, the dusky skinned blond heading off.

“Would you like some tea?” Anthy asked, smiling warmly at the other woman. Since Juri had set out to open a night club they had stayed in touch, Juri occassionally coming to her with questions requiring her unique talents. In return Juri offered much needed romantic advice, Anthy being rather inexperienced in that area.

“Please,” Juri smiled warmly. She settled down by the kotetsu as Utena relaxed nearby. “What's this I hear about you two ghost-busting?” she asked.
“More like monster hunting,” Utena grinned. “It's actually kind of fun, especially considering the odd members of our crew.”

“Odder than the Duelists?” Utena raised her eyebrows.

“Nearly,” Anthy offered, laughing. “Have you met any of the residents?” she asked.

“Does being attacked by a crazy lady with a sword count?” Juri asked wryly, then recounted what happened as she arrived there....

Approaching the buildings Juri had come across a tall, black haired woman doing sword practice. She looked up with a piercing gaze, her hair blowing wildly around her. Without thinking about it Juri responded to that challenging gaze by taking up a on guard stance.

“You are a sword fighter?” the woman demanded, lowering her wooden practice sword.

“Yes,” Juri conceded, blinking in surprise as the woman tossed her a sword.

“Practice with me,” the woman asked, smiling slightly as she studied Juri intently.

Juri picked up the blade, her owl instincts rising. She never could refuse a fight... “All right,” she took up a fighting stance.

With a cry the strange woman leaped, and Juri was stunned to feel a wave of 'chi' energy radiating off her. Thankfully, Juri had spent some time training in the Anything Goes School of martial arts and could counter 'chi' attacks, at least somewhat. They still hurt, but not as much.

“Well done,” the woman smiled warmly. “Now, let's continue....”

“...anyway,” Juri sighed, “that's why I was late getting up here.”

“I should have warned you about Motoko,” Utena admitted. “She's a perfectly nice woman, but can be... kind of extreme with the sword fighting.”

“I noticed,” Juri said dryly. “This is the first time I've lost a sword fight since Ohtori,” she admitted with a grimace.

“And knowing you,” Anthy smiled gently as she offered Juri a plate of cookies, “you want a rematch.”

“Well, yes,” Juri admitted as she looked at the cookies cautiously.

“Don't worry, Shinobu made them,” Utena laughed softly. Anthy was... very dangerous in the kitchen. Her curry had exploded once. Literally!

To be continued....

Notes: This episode is set before Kanako first shows up in Arisugawa's Locket. That's also where I first introduced the idea Juri was a martial artist too.