Love Hina Fan Fiction ❯ Follow The Lady ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer: Love Hina is not owned by me, and I am not making any sort of money since selling fanfiction for cash isn't really a viable source of revenue.
2. Follow the Lady
Prologue:
“Come on guys! Follow the lady now. Follow the lady!” announced Kitsune as deft fingers manipulated the cards set in front of her on the living room table.
For her part, Shinobu was confounded. By the whirling blur of cards. Su wasn’t helping much. The moment Shinobu could get a bead on her target, her friend would start bouncing around and laughing maniacally. Motoko, however wasn’t interested in the game and her “The Three Who Get Slashed” marathon had just started. She still watched them play during commercials, and her face flashed with disapointment and disbelief whenever Kitsune turned the cards face up.
“Rrrright! No! Left! Left!” she sputtered.
“Middle!” Su shouted.
“Sorry. This time it’ll cost ya.Nothing to watch, a hundred yen to play .”
“Kitsune...” growled Motoko.
“Alright! Alright! I was going to give it back to her anyway! Sheesh.” Kitsune grumbled as she flipped the cards. “Sorry Kid. You should have gone with your first instinct.”
“Can I try again?” Shinobu pleaded.
“Sure! But this time-” Motoko interrupted her.
“That’s enough Kitsune. Shinobu, isn’t getting a little late for you?”
“I wonder if sempai could figure this out?” Shinobu wondered aloud as she left the room. Kitsune chuckled at Shinobu’s remark.
“I don’t think Keitaro’d do any better than you.”
“What couldn’t I do?”Asked Ketiaro as he entered the living room.
“It’s just a game we were playing.” Her face took on a predatory grin. “Why don’t you try? Unless Motoko has any problem with it.”
“I don’t like it, but he’s old enough to get what he deserves. Now could you please be quiet? It’s getting to a good part.”
“All right then!” Kitsune flipped the two kings over and tapped on the queen. “Just find the lady, Keitaro.” With that she flipped the last card over and she worked the cards into a hypnotic dance. Keitaro’s mind barely managed to keep up.
“Middle!”
“Sorry. A hundred yen to play.” Keitaro handed her a few coins. Kitsune turned the middle card over, and sure enough, it was the queen of spades. Kitsune grinned as she handed Keitaro his money, including the winnings back. She had him now. Hook, line, and sinker.
Tweny minutes and almost four thousand yen later...
“So, you still want to play?” inquired Kitsune.
“I don’t have any money left!” responded Keitaro.
“I’m sure we can think of some other method of payment.” She licked her lips in anticipation.
“I don’t know, its getting late.”
“You’re no fun. How about this: one more round, if I win; you get your money back and I get six months of rent free, if you win; you get your money and you’ll uh...hm...What should you get?”
“I really don’t think there’s much else you could do for me.” said Keitaro.Kitsune leaned forward in response to that statement, exposing a substantial view of her cleavage.
“Oh no? I can think of a lot I could do for you.” purred the vixen. Keitaro blushed as he tried to focus on her face. He failed miserably.
“I don’t really think that-that that would be appropriate.” Ketiaro stammered. Sadly it came out louder than he was hoping.
“Shh! I’m still watching! Keep it down.” Motoko demanded. Cracks appeared in her once-stoic visage with every word above a wisper.
“Isn’t that thing over yet?”
“It’s a very long marathon. Do you mind? They just found the leader behind the slave-exporting racket.” Motoko's normally calm voice showed hints of irritation. Interrupting her during her samurai dramas usually ended in bloodshed.That didn't stop Kitsune’s eyes from lighting up at her statement.
“That’s not a bad idea! If you win I’ll be your sla-er domestic servant.”
“I don’t think that’s really necessary.”
“You’re no fun. Come on, how about it? What’s wrong? Not man enough?”
“Hey!”
“I’m not surprised really. You’ll never get into Todai with that attitude.” Kitsune knew that remark was slightly below the belt, but at least it worked. Besides, she figured she was already being generous in giving his money back, so she was entitled to abuse him a little.
“Now wait a minute!”
“Does that mean you’ll play?”
“Yes! I’ll...Wait! I mean-“
”Too late, Keitaro. Follow the lady.” Kitsune arranged and rearranged the cards, and then re-re-arranged them. In the middle though, came the most important part, the switch off. Then arrange and rearrange ad nauseam.
“Follow the lady!” Kitsune squealed. It was a bit too loud for Motoko's taste.
“Shh! I said keep it down!”
“All right! Jeez...” Where was she? Oh, right the swtich off. Arrange, rearrange. Ad nauseam.
“Hm...I pick...hm...” Ah, Ketiaro's infamous indescision. It didn't really matter how long he tried to puzzle out which was the lady. To Kitsune's reckoning, he always chose the middle card. She thought he should have learned by now.
“Take your time. Let me know when you’re ready.”
“Middle!”
“You’ve picked anything but middle. Are you sure?”
“Yes. No-Yes. Middle.” Kitsune sighed. While she was pleased with her impending victory, Keitaro could have tried to be a little more imaginative.
“Sorry Keitaro. I guess that means that I get six months rent-free.” she said as she flipped the center card.
“Uh...Kitsune?” Keitaro interrupted.
“Now, now. I know it’s a hard thing to accept losing. But we had an agreement.”
“That’s not it really.”
“Oh! Right. Your money. Take it. It’s right there on the table.”
“It’s not that.”
“Are you going to try to weasel out of this Keitaro?”
“No, but-”
“No ‘buts,’ I would have gone through with my end of the bargain if you won.”
“But I did!”
“Huh?” Kitsune’s eyes widened as she looked down at the table. Sure enough, staring right back at her from the center of the table, was the queen of hearts.
“Wasn’t it also the queen of spades last time?” Keitaro remarked.
Kitsune gulped. This wasn’t going to end well.